Cardoso bomb scare

He just has that Karl Svennson aura about him where you expected him to be bullied at some point in every match

Bates isn't the answer either. Nor is Russell Martin

We really need to find another Cuellar/Bougherra this summer

What do you expect though? He’s barely had a sniff of a first team game and has no match sharpness. Add in the lack of protection from the midfield and his defensive partner being off the pace too and it’s no surprise he had a nightmare.

That performance was up there with the worst of them for me.

Totally sold that game.

Complete opposite to the last game where Alves going off for Bates turned out to be the best thing to happen.

Bates off for Cardoso today. I knew we were in for a torrid time at the back. Bates certainly doesn't let Dembele score that one right on half time and that, for me, was the turning point today

He just doesnt look like a defender. He will be rusty but that first goal was exactly the kind of goal which exploits his weaknesses.

His instinct is all wrong. Keeps getting caught on the wrong side of the runner. Seen it numerous times since he joined.

Fortunately he only got time cos we were out of options. Hopefully we can get him offloaded in the summer..

What do you expect though? He’s barely had a sniff of a first team game and has no match sharpness. Add in the lack of protection from the midfield and his defensive partner being off the pace too and it’s no surprise he had a nightmare.
He's done lad

A centre back who is soft as shite can't make it here

Must admit when I first saw Cardoso I thought he could develop into a better than decent centre half. He wont in Scotland. He is too easily muscled out the game.

Bates has his flaws but he was a miss after his injury.

He just has that Karl Svennson aura about him where you expected him to be bullied at some point in every match

Bates isn't the answer either. Nor is Russell Martin

We really need to find another Cuellar/Bougherra this summer

Spot on mate.

One ball over the top shouldn’t ever result in a goal is piss poor reading of the game

He’s garbage. Incredible to think some folk have been demanding he plays. No doubt they’ll somehow be blaming Danny Wilson.

How much did we spunk on him? Criminal.

He's done lad

A centre back who is soft as shite can't make it here

Oh I agree he’ll never make it at Rangers. The biggest compliment I can pay him today is that he managed to complete the 90, i had so little faith in him I fully expected him to pick up a second yellow before the game was out.

He seems to have shrunk and got slower since we last saw him play - he was murder and now he is even worse! Between his weak attempts at stopping play as well as Goss we lost the game. Even Alves (used to be a dirty big tank but now just a tank - slow and obvious) got bullied and made wrong decision after wrong decision.

He's just so physically weak that a lot of strikers will just bully him and get great chances because of that. Not good enough at positioning himself or quick enough to make up for it

If Bates was on the park we would have went in to half time 2-1 up. Simple as that

I never want to see Alves and Cardoso play for us again. They just don't get it

I would rather have had Danny Wilson there today.

Oh I agree he’ll never make it at Rangers. The biggest compliment I can pay him today is that he managed to complete the 90, i had so little faith in him I fully expected him to pick up a second yellow before the game was out.
The booking is cowardly shite as well
Get booked for something wild not you out of position

What I expected at their second goal was for Cardoso to step up and catch Dembele offside. Should have been relatively simple, given Cardoso was last man. Alves, admittedly, was poorly positioned but at least he was ahead of their striker - all Cardoso had to do was step out.

Complete opposite to the last game where Alves going off for Bates turned out to be the best thing to happen.

Bates off for Cardoso today. I knew we were in for a torrid time at the back. Bates certainly doesn't let Dembele score that one right on half time and that, for me, was the turning point today
I think the match turned when Morelos ran offside at 1:0. Also, Cardoso and Wes should never allowed that shot on goal. You do anything to stop a goal just before half time.

His instinct is all wrong. Keeps getting caught on the wrong side of the runner. Seen it numerous times since he joined.

Fortunately he only got time cos we were out of options. Hopefully we can get him offloaded in the summer..

I agree, he hasn't mastered even the basics, no matter how much he was off the pace, he should at least have done that.

I’m a bit gutted about Cardoso tbh.

At the start of the season, in the pre season games etc I thought he had something about him, I thought he could be a cracking player.

Since that Motherwell game I think he’s shit himself tbh, and I don’t blame him considering how that game played out.

As much as throwing him in at the deep end today was tough for him, it’s no excuse. You can either do the business or not (look at Bates in the last OF)

I think this will be has last game in a Rangers Jersey, injuries permitting.

So many folk including myself have said " how does Bates in team ahead of cardoso" take that all back. Bates has hardly ever let us down.

But Cardoso, who hasn't played in earnest for months and is thrown in straight into the Scum's best spell is shocking?

Anything he could have done differently against Dembele would have seen us down to 10. We didn't take our chances up front, they did. And not solely down to our people.

I can see Cardoso going on to have a good career but he is not well suited to the game here

Loads on here have been rattling on and on about him being better than Bates. Hopefully today makes people wake up on that one. He’s a dumpling and it’s £1m down the pan.

I think his biggest problems is his lack of positional sense.He seems to be caught under the ball an awful lot.
What I wouldn't give for another Gough or Amoruso now

Will always be too weak and naive for Scottish football in general, let alone games like today.

An expensive Karl Svensson.

Bates was a big loss for us. A little unfair on Cardoso though. Understandably, he’s not match sharp. How can we expect him to be anything other than rusty?

Bates was a big loss for us. A little unfair on Cardoso though. Understandably, he’s not match sharp. How can we expect him to be anything other than rusty?

Everything that was bad about his game today was what was bad about his game when he was playing more regularly.

Twice I posted in the match thread that the guy has no defensive awareness.He just doesn't seem to appreciate what is going on around him.

To give him some sort of leeway he hasn't played on a regular basis.

I know he's had hardly any game time, but he looks a very poor defender to me.

I'm not sure if it's just nerves, lack of confidence or the fact that he's simply not very good, but if we can find a buyer in the summer, we should cut our losses with this guy.

On a positive note he seems to be highly rated in Portugal so I don’t think we will have any issue moving him on

Celtic had bombscare boyata . Why we suddenly sat off him at 2-1 I'll never know. Cardoso is no use but the reasons we lost lie further forward.

Back