Lopsided stadiums

Rusty Shackleford

Was reading about the potential takeover at Bradford earlier and saw the pictures of Valley Parade and it got me thinking about lopsided stadiums (slow work day)
Been a few I can think of including St James’ Park and the old Maine Road in terms of height and La Bombonera in terms of depth of the stands. Can anyone think of any other examples?
Not including teams that have 1-3 stands with open areas

The one in Dublin, three normal stands and a wee tiny one behind the goal.

aviva_stadium39.jpg

Raith Rovers stadium Starks park is a very strange layout with half a main stand along the sideline, one small stand that doesn’t get used on the other sideline and stands behind the goals that dwarf the others. They didn’t really have much choice due to a trainline and a main road but it’s a odd and pretty honking stadium.

Brunton Park, Carlisle..... new stand built in anticipation of the other three being rebuilt/resited in line to match......which never happened...

Gives me the opportunity to ask, what's the story with the two stands behind the goals at Easter Road and that slant each has on the top tier?

It's a great stadium, better than Tynecastle.

Raith Rovers stadium Starks park is a very strange layout with half a main stand along the sideline, one small stand that doesn’t get used on the other sideline and stands behind the goals that dwarf the others. They didn’t really have much choice due to a trainline and a main road but it’s a odd and pretty honking stadium.

It does look odd. Two cracking stands behind the goals but the sides look awful.

Had a look and the stand you talk about isn’t even in line with the pitch, goes a good few meters beyond the goal line
Aye, block 1 is hardly ever used, block 2 is away fans level with the byeline :oops: up to the edge of the penalty area; block 3 segregation.......blocks 4-9 Utd, however block 9 is level with the edge of the penalty area at the other end.... In summary, the halfway line on the current pitch is level with block 6. To be honest it`s a cracking stand, but totally out of sync.

Gives me the opportunity to ask, what's the story with the two stands behind the goals at Easter Road and that slant each has on the top tier?

It's a great stadium, better than Tynecastle.
i would have expected the slant on each stand to mirror each other.
its as if they used the same blueprint for both ends and nobody noticed.

I think that was something to do with planning permission height restrictions at that end.

pity it wasn’t a cemetery there, they could have just overhung it.
Sure I read there are houses behind that goal and they complained at planning stage that the stand would block any sunlight they got, so stand had to be built smaller

Airdrie’s old stadium was an absolute riot.

The “main stand” sat in the corner at an angle!
That’s not really the case though. That was the pavilion, which loads of old grounds had at one time, including Ibrox. The main stand ran along one of the touch lines, same as any other.

Was a cracking wee ground back in the day. Probably fucked them up for decades selling it up for a new ground that NLC kept taking the piss over.

Back