The Winter Transfer Window (non-Rangers)

i seen a video of Maeda on twitter last night ... with his "montage" of goals - some were decent - but the one thing that stood out from his J League goals is the defending is comical.

be interesting to see how the 3 of them do and how they are deployed - Maeda is a striker so will they go to 4-2-2-2 style? otherwise how do him and Furahashi fit in?
They’ll play Maeda Furuhashi and Jota in the front three with a fully fit squad.

Hopefully they’ll push the diving cheat out to the left where he is less effective to accommodate the new player.

They're supposed to be top players in that league and Postecoglou knows them.

Then again, they're making it out as if they've discovered some untapped pool of talent in the Japanese league but it's probably just that the league itself is a bit shit so that's why not many other clubs look at it for players.
Can't be much worse than the SPFL. Hardly a pool of talent either. However if the J league was decent surely bigger teams would be sniffing.

Also it’s worth bearing in mind how damning this is on Celtic’s own recruitment operations internally.

You can tell which players have been signed by “Celtic” and which players have been signed by “Postecoglou”. The likes of Hart, McCarthy, Giakoumakis, Scales and Abada all strike me as club signings.

Furuhashi and the other three Japanese are obviously the fat slug’s signings.

So he’s basically saying to his own board “I don’t trust your signings, I want to sign these players” and the board has obliged. They don’t have a proper football director in charge, that Nicholson nonce looking prick clearly knows %^*& all about football.

They don’t have a coherent strategy and zero succession planning strategy and that’s why they handed McCarthy a four year deal.

If they don’t win the league the board will pin it on Postecoglou and if he goes in the summer the club is lumbered with a bunch of Japanese players who only signed because of him. It’s a clusterfuck of a way to run a football club and they are gambling on winning the league by just inflating their squad with more players. They now have four left backs at the club in Bolingoli, Taylor, Scales and Hatate and also that youth player Montgomery can play there too.

That’s utterly mental considering Taylor and Bolingoli were signed for over £6m and will be on decent wages.

The absolutely mad thing is that on Feb 2nd they will probably play none of those players at left back and play Ralston at right back and Juranovic at left back! :D

Apparently Newcastle are close to signing Trippier and are in talks for Botman and Umtiti.

That would be a huge upgrade defensively for them.
Umtiti is meant to be completely finished, I’d be surprised if they went for him with the wage he’s on.

They're supposed to be top players in that league and Postecoglou knows them.

Then again, they're making it out as if they've discovered some untapped pool of talent in the Japanese league but it's probably just that the league itself is a bit shit so that's why not many other clubs look at it for players.
Best Japanese player I’ve seen recently was AZ Alkmaar right back though he was superb at Celtic Park . This player and these links show he is regular and has also more recently playing RW .

Last edited:
They’ll play Maeda Furuhashi and Jota in the front three with a fully fit squad.

Hopefully they’ll push the diving cheat out to the left where he is less effective to accommodate the new player.

You could be right ... but as you say means playing Furahashi out of position and jota on the right - also means no james forrest the best player EVER and Abada who is the best young player EVER ...

maybe they will just play 5 up top ?

Umtiti is meant to be completely finished, I’d be surprised if they went for him with the wage he’s on.
With their new money, they're bound to waste a fair amount on names, rather than talent.

Trippier and Botman would be two good signings, though.

Reactions: Moz
Best Japanese player I’ve seen recently was AZ Alkmaar right back though he was superb at Celtic Park . This player
Sugawara - he is a player so is the boy at Arsenal.

Looking forward to seeing what Newcastle do in the next couple of windows. A large injection of fresh cash could really jump start the transfer window.

Sugawara - he is a player so is the boy at Arsenal.
Tomiyasu, Bologna picked him up from Belgium for about £8 mil when he was 19/20 before flipping him to Arsenal for more than double.

Very good player.

Well, there is clearly no recruitment strategy in place over there other than Ange saying "I'll have these three from the J-League mate".

Can't be much worse than the SPFL. Hardly a pool of talent either. However if the J league was decent surely bigger teams would be sniffing.
The better players from the J League and Korea are usually picked up from teams around Europe. German teams etc before getting bigger moves.

Scum confirm the three Japanese players. Think it’s one forward who can play across the front line, one midfielder and a left-back/midfielder.

Two of them already been in Europe and failed to make an impact.

Squad bloaters.

Quantity over quality.

i seen a video of Maeda on twitter last night ... with his "montage" of goals - some were decent - but the one thing that stood out from his J League goals is the defending is comical.

be interesting to see how the 3 of them do and how they are deployed - Maeda is a striker so will they go to 4-2-2-2 style? otherwise how do him and Furahashi fit in?

He scores some amount of headers for somebody so small, but as you say the defending is chronic.

Reactions: fmp
Maeda will probably be a success as their managers managed to get the best out of him before and his numbers are solid, thought his stats on his Wikipedia for Maritimo in the Primiera Liga were dodgy so managed to find that he only scored 3 in like 30 games that season, not 13.

The other 2 are completely unknown quantities, I suspect the “utility player” will be the biggest flop

Time will tell if the 3 will be any good. A poster on here said Furuhashi would be a failure because all decent players from Japan leave before they are 22.
Mind you, I saw a bheast posting a while ago that two of them were the best in Japan.

Time will tell if the 3 will be any good. A poster on here said Furuhashi would be a failure because all decent players from Japan leave before they are 22.
Mind you, I saw a bheast posting a while ago that two of them were the best in Japan.
The clue is in the fees. The bheasts signed the diving cheat for £4m. They’ve signed the new striker for a deferred fee of €1.8m and the other pair for €1m each.

Highly unlikely that they are on the same level as the diving cheat based on those fees.

Also Maeda and Ideguchi have already struggled in Europe, the latter in British football with Championship Leeds.

Back