East Lothian journalist 'in tears' after racial abuse at Rangers game

Status
Not open for further replies.

siegeheroes13

Another racial claim being made against our fans

A freelance sport producer from East Lothian says he was racially abused on two occasions over the space of a few hours after attending a Rangers football game.

Bobby Nwanze, 32, said that he was forced to leave a Rangers Scottish Cup match vs Stirling Albion at half time on Friday January 21, after he faced abuse from a fellow supporter in the stands.

READ MORE - Hearts manager Robbie Neilson targeted by 'seething football fan' during TV interview

To make matters worse, Bobby was subjected to a further bout of abuse when visiting a Rangers themed bar close to the stadium.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, Bobby said that he was left in tears in the car when returning from Glasgow, and that the incident had put him off from returning to Ibrox but that he would do so, as he did not want to empower racists.

On the abuse he received, he said: “Why I like Rangers is that the team is relatable to me. In the past the squad was not overly diverse but when you look at the team now that has completely changed. The captain Tavernier is black as is Bassey, Balogun, Aribo, Morelos, Sakala, Bacuna and Kamara. So for me I identify with them.

“To be honest, I am often apprehensive about going to live games due to the elements of racism that can occur there. But my friend Abie, John and I decided to go through for the Scottish Cup tie as we thought it would be a nice family friendly atmosphere with it being the fourth round of the cup.

“Around 25 minutes into the game, I’m doing my usual and talking football with fans around me, having a good time. But then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says ‘I can’t understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?’

“I turned to my friends and asked if he had just said what I thought he had. After that I just felt sick and my mood completely dropped. My friends said to try to ignore him but I could not.

“So we left to go to a Rangers bar, I think it was called the Wee Rangers, and when we walked in it was as if everyone had stopped to stare at me walking to the bar - it was weird. We ordered some drinks and just took ourselves to a quiet corner to watch the rest of the game. That is when a middle aged man approached me.

“This gentleman would not leave me alone. He said ‘You are black, what does Fashion Sakala mean?’ My friend asked what he said and when I repeated it they were absolutely astounded. The man proceeded to keep calling me Fashion Sakala even though I asked him to leave me alone to watch the game.

“My friends then tried their best to get them to leave me alone but then the man turned with their group of 20-30 mates and started singing the Fashion Sakala song at me. Now I do not mind banter but my race is not a joke for other people’s amusement. This was being derogative.

“The guy then sat next to me again and started to touch my arms whilst saying, ‘You’re a big boy eh, you're always big.’ He continued to bother me before I was stern and said to leave me alone. It was then that the man said I shouldn’t be there.

“Around 25 minutes into the game, I’m doing my usual and talking football with fans around me, having a good time. But then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says ‘I can’t understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?’

Is that racist?

Not a chance it happened without people around not sorting it out by telling them to shut up or go into a busy pub and get abused while others never said a word.

I read something similar a couple of years ago somewhere but can’t remember what in.

I just hope my memory is right and callingBS on it, if wrong WTF were the folk round the guy doing ?

Is that racist?
I’m not going to defend the comments but I agree. The statement in the article “racial abuse” surely can’t apply to what the fan said. He shouldn’t have said it but maybe he genuinely couldn’t understand.

The pub stuff is racist, it’s moronic and ignorant, would happen in pubs across Scotland when you have guys pished out their minds.

Is that racist?
What???

A stranger butts in and asks that to a black guy, is it racist??

Err yess.

So sad reading that btw

I’m not going to defend the comments but I agree. The statement in the article “racial abuse” surely can’t apply to what the fan said. He shouldn’t have said it but maybe he genuinely couldn’t understand.

The pub stuff is racist, it’s moronic and ignorant, would happen in pubs across Scotland when you have guys pished out their minds.
He speaks with a British accent. So that is very curious that someone couldn't understand the black guy with the British accent.

And Bobby himself says it is not representative of the Rangers support so there is not need to come out with the "would happen in any pub thing". It happened in our pub and it is shameful.

Shocking stuff. I would have expected folk around him in both situations to have said something about it.
Surely be easy enough to identify those that done it no?

The story sounds a bit weird to me tbh. We do have our fair share of bellends so I completely get that he could hear a comment or something. But people just being outright and openly racist to somebody’s face in front of other people in 2 locations seems a bit too far.

Then again, I took the kids and ended up with a pair of absolute throbbers next to us. Maybe there was more of an arsehole element there, who knows.

The story sounds a bit weird to me tbh. We do have our fair share of bellends so I completely get that he could hear a comment or something. But people just being outright and openly racist to somebody’s face in front of other people in 2 locations seems a bit too far.

Then again, I took the kids and ended up with a pair of absolute throbbers next to us. Maybe there was more of an arsehole element there, who knows.
Surely we should be giving the guy the benefit of the doubt? Why would he make this up as a fan of the club?

Our support were all apolectic at Slavia's response to the Kudela incident last season. It seems some have learned very little from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back