Anyone met someone abroad who has impressed you with something Rangers?

RFC80UK

Was talking to my eldest son about how we seem to be everywhere around the world and reminded me about when I was in Canada a few years ago in a pub and Argentinian bouncer asked where I was over from, told him Scotland and he says Glasgow Rangers, I said do you like them as they’re my love, he pulls his phone out and low and behold, there was his aunt and uncle, in Argentina, getting married in their Rangers strips, to say I was stunned is an understatement but ultra chuffed!

I was in bar in Minneapolis a couple of years ago and was talking to the barman who was Argentinian. I mentioned Rangers and he started talking about how much he loves Paul Gascoigne and was asking if he still plays for us.

Didn’t quite have the heart to tell him he retired 20 years ago

When I was in Tenerife many years ago with my mum and dad we walked into a restaurant. The owner (Native of Tenerife, Spaniard?) asked if we liked football and I said yes. When he asked which team I supported and when I replied Rangers, the guy burst into a full rendition of the Billy Boys, fully complete with ‘extras’:))

I was in bar in Minneapolis a couple of years ago and was talking to the barman who was Argentinian. I mentioned Rangers and he started talking about how much he loves Paul Gascoigne and was asking if he still plays for us.

Didn’t quite have the heart to tell him he retired 20 years ago
Argentinians seem to like us.

2003 in Florida Disney, I was wearing the Orange top waiting in a queue to get my sons picture with Winnie the Pooh. The wee boy in the queue behind us, told my son, his Uncle was Barry Ferguson. I told my son that folk tell lies. Me n wife got talking to his mum we never mentioned the wee boys comment. After getting our pic, we said our goodbyes, we walk up a wee hill, walking down was Derek Ferguson. We got chatting about the Rangers, Derek said his boy never mentions him, always Barry.

The wee boy was future Rangers Midfielder Lewis Ferguson

Was talking to my eldest son about how we seem to be everywhere around the world and reminded me about when I was in Canada a few years ago in a pub and Argentinian bouncer asked where I was over from, told him Scotland and he says Glasgow Rangers, I said do you like them as they’re my love, he pulls his phone out and low and behold, there was his aunt and uncle, in Argentina, getting married in their Rangers strips, to say I was stunned is an understatement but ultra chuffed!
Wonder if it was Hernan

Was speaking to someone in the Oakley store in Chicago one time. Guy instantly picked up on our accents and said "Glasgow". He then went on to talk about Rangers a bit, knew lots of stuff about team at the time and was even talking about a game a couple of weeks before.

Was very impressed. He then informed me that his dad was born and raised in Govan and they regularly watch the Rangers games. Wasn't quite as impressed after that but still a little. Sound bloke. Got a discount on my hoody as well so that was a bonus also.

On the afternoon of the 24th of May 1972 I was sat in a caravan/bar on the seafront of Lloret de Mar prior to heading to Barcelona for the final. A big German guy came in, looked at me in my colours and decided to sit beside me for a blether. Although his English was as bad as my German I was able to make out that he certainly knew more than a wee bit about the Rangers. One memorable phrase I remember coming from him was, "Rangers, es ist nicht catholic". I always have a wee smile to myself when I think back to that day.

Was in Thailand in 2012 and went out to watch Germany vs Holland in the Euros, 2am kick off. Got talking to a Norwegian guy who knew everything about what was going on with us at the time and knew a hell of a lot about Northern Irish history/politics.

He messaged me on Facebook asking to come to a match and flew over to watch us against Aberdeen a few years ago and had booked Young Boys in the Europa but broke his collar bone skiing so couldn’t make that one. If he can get a ticket for a Dortmund he will be over for that. He loves it, couldn’t get enough of the Bristol Bar and the Louden as well.

So if anyone isn't taking their ticket for Dortmund PM me and I'll pass it on to him :shh:

Last edited:
Barcelona 1972 the bus I was on was staying in Castel de Fells. A group of us were heading into Barcelona after breakfast on the day of the game when some of our group started chatting to two guys. When they'd finished chatting I asked who the two blokes were. Sandy Jardine and Willie Mathieson apparently. I had no idea.

2003 in Florida Disney, I was wearing the Orange top waiting in a queue to get my sons picture with Winnie the Pooh. The wee boy in the queue behind us, told my son, his Uncle was Barry Ferguson. I told my son that folk tell lies. Me n wife got talking to his mum we never mentioned the wee boys comment. After getting our pic, we said our goodbyes, we walk up a wee hill, walking down was Derek Ferguson. We got chatting about the Rangers, Derek said his boy never mentions him, always Barry.

Brilliant!

I've told this on here before... about 15 years ago now, I was working at a nuclear plant in the middle of nowhere in Virginia. I had a Rangers sticker on my hard hat and a Mexican guy came up to me, pointing at it, telling me he loved Rangers and wanted to go to Scotland etc. I thought that was cool, then the next day he came looking for me, proudly wearing his Rangers shirt for me to see. We're still friends to this day!

Was at a baby shower last week and was talking to a guy from Tonga (or maybe Samoa) who was telling me about his travels in the UK. Said he went to Glasgow and took in a game. He chose us because the Celtic top was hideous and he couldn't bear to watch them. Absolutely loved the atmosphere at Ibrox.
Whoa up troops. Are we choosing to let the baby shower bit slide?

I was wearing my home top of the time on the over night summer train from Marseilles to Amsterdam, and as we get on the guard points to me and says “Pieter Huistra” we chatted and he gave us a safe place to sleep, as the train was full of North Africans, and I mean full, there was no space to walk from one carriage to the next, and about 3 guys hiding in each toilet.

I once met someone called Renzo Nonis. Young Italian who said he had a trial during early Advocaat era. Wasn't successful but he said the way he was treated in the week there made him look out for results since then. Came from Udinese. Spent the rest of his career in the lower leauges of Italy.

Just found it fascinating.

Slightly off topic , about 10 years ago I was down in Sheffield with my wife , my brother & his wife , for my cousins wedding party , we were back at my aunts later on & the house was busy , I went into the kitchen just me & my aunt , a 60odd you could picture cycling to church , she gave me a big cuddle & said “ ooh , kick the pope “

Possibly influenced by her father & other relatives down from Airdrie to work in the steelworks.

@buckeyeblue picked me up at about half six in the morning to go and watch a game in the basement of a bar in Cleveland.

Not sure if it's what the OP is after but I was impressed!
I did the same for Steven Naismiths dad, he was over here on a visit with a colleague. Would have been around 2010, before all the nonsense.

Continuing the Argentinian theme, met Claudio Reynas dad in O’Hare airport . Talked for ages about Rangers.

Cool story mate, you were doing so well until that last line :D

In Monaco for the EUFA Cup 1/4 final v Newcastle with a group of 25- 30 Geordies , game is on the Tuesday we got there on the Friday , Old Firm game on the Sunday . Sunday morning we all meet up & one of them has a celtc top on , says to the boys I'm with 'What the fux that ? ' My mate says 'Dinna worry you'll do them the day . ' He then says ' My uncle Billy used to play for your lot .'
'Really ' says I, 'Did he play any 1st team games ? '
' Aye , a few' he says ,with a big grin on his face ' You might know him better as Sandy '

Took a few minutes to register my mates name is Jardine . I'd known him for about 5 years at the time and he had never mentioned it .:))

And aye , you could say I was impressed .:))

On the afternoon of the 24th of May 1972 I was sat in a caravan/bar on the seafront of Lloret de Mar prior to heading to Barcelona for the final. A big German guy came in, looked at me in my colours and decided to sit beside me for a blether. Although his English was as bad as my German I was able to make out that he certainly knew more than a wee bit about the Rangers. One memorable phrase I remember coming from him was, "Rangers, es ist nicht catholic". I always have a wee smile to myself when I think back to that day.
And then I met you and your Brother going into game lol

Was at a Tikki Bar on Clearwater Beach in Florida, told the American bartender my drinks order. On hearing my accent he asked “what team do you support”? Rangers of course was my reply. Next thing he disappears away into the connected hotel and comes back with his phone. Full of photos of him and his family on a tour of Ibrox. Chatted for about 5 mins until I asked if I could get my drinks. Needless to say he got more than 20% tip.

Told it on here before but still makes me smile, so I'll tell it again.

Over in Stockholm for the ice hockey. A couple of NHL games are being played so European fans can get to see their teams live, but a fair few have made the journey across the Atlantic to follow their teams too. I'm with my mate and his Mrs and we're in the pub one of the nights. There's a local hockey game on the TV, so we're standing at the bar watching and having a few beers.

This middle-aged American guy, thinking we're locals, nervously shuffles over to ask us who is playing on the TV. When I reply and he hears my Weegie accent, it's obviously a relief to him. There's the "you guys are from Scotland? Right?" question. I say that we are and (cynically) brace myself for the follow-up "do you know *some lady's front bottom* from Aberdeen/ St Andrews/ Edinburgh?".

It was nothing of the sort. "Rangers or Celtc?" was in fact his next question and he was more than chuffed to find out we were bears. Spent the next couple of hours chatting about all things Rangers and the game against that mhob that would be taking place the following day (we won 2-1, Kenny Miller double within 15 minutes).

Was certainly clued up and the club was far from a passing interest from his perspective. Said there was no family/ ex-pat connection and he'd simply started following us when Claudio Reyna signed and carried on after he'd left.

Last edited:
Back