Goldson "wanted" by Nottingham Forrest and West Brom

I reckon Goldson would rather play in the EPL than Champions League. I fully expect him to sign for an English club but reckon he’ll be keeping it quiet until nearer the end of the season. If he was staying with us it would’ve been done by now.
I agree 100%, we tend to get a bit misty eyed when talking about the champions league as we know we're gonna have 3 huge home games and probably a couple of big away trips. The likes of Goldson will see more appeal in games against Man City,United,Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal,Spurs, twice per season .

I think his preference is to stay but it'll need to suit both parties with salary and length of contract. He'll be very difficult to replace.

Maybe he’s signed with someone & is keeping it quiet just now to focus on Rangers, to stop the fans turning against him.
Exactly my thinking. No way he’s sitting here with no contract for next season he could break his leg on Wednesday or his heart problems could come bck. He knows where/what he’s doing.
Believe him and doekhi have same agent from what I read could it be arranged that one goes on a free and other comes in on a free with both agent and players getting good signing on fees.

This can impact the finances of the offer

Daft to suggest its is completely immaterial

For us - yes ofcourse it can impact the offer.

No professional player, will hang by the balls waiting when he’s current not got a wage from July onwards and could get a back injury at any point.

Players want to secure their future asap. Goldson won’t be waiting until the summer to make a decision. No chance.

I don't think anyone can state in black and white what any other person will do

Also, may not require the summer (we sew up the league early and know who are in latter stages of CL, we can make an offer then and Conor knows about the CL outcome)

I don't think professional footballers are in the same boat as us where they worry about not taking a wage for a few weeks or 2 months in the summer

Not signing before the summer potentially strengthens his bargaining position

He’s hoping the right offer will. One along before the window shuts IMO.
He’s taking a risk in my opinion. One bad tackle, one twist of the knee in the turf, and your career can be in the balance. It happens . To not have the security of a contract in front of you in a sport where injury is commonplace, it’s a pretty bold move and he’s unusual in that respect. Most players would want something nailed down whether it’s an extension or a pre contract or a move. He runs it down then does his ligaments in April he’s left doing rehab without a club or a wage coming in for a year. I’m still holding out hope he stays with us.

Have we offered him a new contract?
I would find it strange if the club has not at least offered a contract extension- if he has not even been offered any contract or contract extension from Rangers- this speaks volumes and Goldson is effectively excess baggage and we are deliberately running his contract down leaving us without any options to demand a transfer fee by allowing him to simply walk away as a free agent.

I would find it strange if the club has not at least offered a contract extension- if he has not even been offered any contract or contract extension from Rangers- this speaks volumes and Goldson is effectively excess baggage and we are deliberately running his contract down leaving us without any options to demand a transfer fee by allowing him to simply walk away as a free agent.
All sorts of scenarios could be in play though mate. His Agent goes to Wilson and says 'Goldson wants a 5 year contract, won't accept anything less'. For sure there would be discussions beyond that but if that's the stance they might not get as far as a formal contract offer. All just semantics and playing with words.

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.
How do you know he hasn’t?

I think people need to keep expectations in check if we do reach the CL by winning the league this season.

Of course we would need better players, that much is obvious, but we could probably throw every penny of what we earn getting there on improving the squad and still be way short of the quality that many of the teams we might face in the Groups would have.

And frankly we aren’t going to have that kind of strategy in terms of finances, nor would I want us to at this stage.
My expectations are in check.
He's been offered a deal and he's not signing it. That offer should no longer even be on the table for him to decide on. We need to plan for the future and we will never be able to do that whilst players keep us in limbo like this. He should be told in no uncertain terms that he is now going and that we already have his position covered as a minimum with Souttar.

Now, Souttar may not indeed be intended as his replacement and that replacement might be an as yet unidentified player. But we need to move on.
How much did Goldson cost us?
There are players out there better than Goldson (who has served us well) and those players might not cost the world.
So we seek an upgrade on the departing Goldson, that should be our goal.

I don't know if that player is Doehki or someone else but the club now need to try and jump on a level. We are in a different place now and our signings need to start reflecting that.

That doesn't mean we throw every penny at for CL glory. It just means we need to improve when we are changing personnel.

We’ll struggle to get better than Goldson.
Let's just not try and improve that position then. Give him however much he wants and as many years as he wants and we can retain a defence that is no where near good enough for Europe (and maybe throw domestic knock out cup competition into that mix as well)

I agree 100%, we tend to get a bit misty eyed when talking about the champions league as we know we're gonna have 3 huge home games and probably a couple of big away trips. The likes of Goldson will see more appeal in games against Man City,United,Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal,Spurs, twice per season .
I would be shocked if he got an EPL team, more like West Brom level

Goldson is in the driving street He is in no rush to sign for anyone as has a contract with us till June

By then he will know if we are in CL or not, if we feck it up then he will odds on go to the EFL / EPL for a pay day with us getting zero in compensation.

If one of the EFL/EPL crew are desperate enough then they will come for him in Jan ans we get compo - but teams in the sh*t tend to look for match winners rather than defenders to turn their seasons.

The apparent news we are offering Hearts ANY money for Souter is beyond belief, especially in the six figure range. Not only are we buying a guy we don't need tight now but we would be increasing our wage bill at same time being unable to offer our most consistent CH a new deal ???

I wonder about those in charge of our recruitment policy and structure, our squad is bloated once again with bench warmers and paid to watch from the stand 3rd choice players.

He will rightfully be looking to be one of the top earners at the club, he probably is there or there about right now anyway

Resigned myself to him leaving. If he had kept up his pre Gio form I would have been shouting for him to get punted but he seems to have sharpened his game and is a key player

More fool them, you watch lots of EPL defenders and they are vastly overrated look at Tyrone Mings he's an awful defender or Maguire at Man Utd, Goldson would hold his own in the EPL.
Maybe my opinion is based on the players I have seen at CB with Rangers Gough, Brown, Moore Amo, Forsyth DJ and players like that
Every one of them could tackle and attack the ball in their own areas with their head, I don't believe big Connor has that in him, seems to be more comfortable when attacking the ball in the opposite box
We need better, especially for Europe
A lot of our young supporters are comparing him to the players they have seen in the previous five years before he
came and that's why they have such a high opinion of him
I wish him nothing but the best in the future but it's time to move on both for him and the Club
IMO

More fool them, you watch lots of EPL defenders and they are vastly overrated look at Tyrone Mings he's an awful defender or Maguire at Man Utd, Goldson would hold his own in the EPL.
Goldson our best defender and a good communicator on the field as well will be a massive loss.
If Mings is such a poor defender ( and I agree with you ) Why hasn't Gerrard snapped Goldson up?

Are English clubs allowed to sign players to pre-contracts so far out from the end of the season? I thought they had a rule which only allowed players to agree pre-contracts within the last month or so of the season?

Goldson is in the driving street He is in no rush to sign for anyone as has a contract with us till June

By then he will know if we are in CL or not, if we feck it up then he will odds on go to the EFL / EPL for a pay day with us getting zero in compensation.

If one of the EFL/EPL crew are desperate enough then they will come for him in Jan ans we get compo - but teams in the sh*t tend to look for match winners rather than defenders to turn their seasons.

The apparent news we are offering Hearts ANY money for Souter is beyond belief, especially in the six figure range. Not only are we buying a guy we don't need tight now but we would be increasing our wage bill at same time being unable to offer our most consistent CH a new deal ???

I wonder about those in charge of our recruitment policy and structure, our squad is bloated once again with bench warmers and paid to watch from the stand 3rd choice players.
what?

If we win the league Goldson will sign a new deal.

No way he’s missing out on Champions League football after being a massive part of getting us there.

I think he’s happy to play it out to the end of the season.
This. He’s not getting that chance anywhere else.

Starting to get risky for him. If he doesn’t sign a pre contract with someone then has an injury between now and may he is in a sticky situation

I want him to stay tbh, I think he’s been brilliant since gio came in.

I also want us to also get doekhi aswell. 4 CB’s of goldson doekhi soutter and helander is absolutely superb.

I think people need to keep expectations in check if we do reach the CL by winning the league this season.

Of course we would need better players, that much is obvious, but we could probably throw every penny of what we earn getting there on improving the squad and still be way short of the quality that many of the teams we might face in the Groups would have.

And frankly we aren’t going to have that kind of strategy in terms of finances, nor would I want us to at this stage.
Exactly mate all we need to do is improve each year with enough quality to win the next year's championship and another go at CL.
We'll never compete at the top table while playing in Scotland.

I think folk put too much stock in a players desire to play in the CL. Realistically, for Rangers, you are talking about 6 games a season. Sad, but true, in the current environment. Stack that up against minimum 2 x Man City, 2 x Liverpool, 2 x Chelsea, 2 x Man Utd, 2 x Spurs etc in the EPL and its obvious which is more attractive to the player. That's before we get to the inflated salaries.

I think if we reach the champions league he will want to play for another season when will extend for one more year.
Playing at that level can enhance his value for himself.

Risky to ride it out as he could get a serious injury and no one will sign him.

He's for the off. From a fiscal point of view we should never have let it get to this stage. I don't blame him.

He's for the off. From a fiscal point of view we should never have let it get to this stage. I don't blame him.
What can you do though if nobody wants to buy him? Especially at a rate that would make sense for a key first team player.

I thought he had all but signed with WBA. Thought that was a terrible move. Not guaranteed they get up this season.

Are English clubs allowed to sign players to pre-contracts so far out from the end of the season? I thought they had a rule which only allowed players to agree pre-contracts within the last month or so of the season?
Yeah they are. The rule only applies to English domestic pre-contracts.

NOTTINGHAM FOREST and West Brom are vying for the pre-contract signature of Rangers defender Connor Goldson.

The 29-year-old Ibrox defender looks certain to quit Gers when his deal ends in the summer.

SunSport understands the Championship promotion-chasing duo have emerged as the strongest suitors.

It’s believed there’s at least one other club pushing hard for the centre-half.

Goldson is now free to discuss his future with interested parties.

Gers boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst has already agreed a pre-contract for Hearts defender John Souttar and has had a £300,000 bid to bring him in now rejected by the Jambos.

Souttar is being seen as a direct replacement for Goldson who is set to quit, despite talks throughout the season over a new deal.

Rangers are believed to be relaxed over the situation and there are no signs of club chiefs being anxious to recoup transfer cash for him during the current transfer window.

Goldson has played 195 games for Gers, scoring 17 goals, and was a key player in the team that won the title last season.

He remains a key part of the side which is four points clear of Celtic at the top of the league.

The feeling is Goldson’s importance to the title defence and potential £30million Champions League spot next season rates as being far more valuable.

If he helps land that prize he will leave with Gers’ best wishes.

West Brom are currently fifth in the Championship table, while Forest are eighth as the pair eye a Premier League spot.

Ex-Gers boss and Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard has previously been linked with Goldson, who he took to Ibrox from Brighton for a seven- figure sum in 2018.

Rangers can get out muscled financially but Gio can go to Goldson & offer him the same as Gerrard had with him , a starting place for every game that he’s fit to play.

I still think we should play this card & I hope he remains at olde Ibrox.

Back