Goldson "wanted" by Nottingham Forrest and West Brom

He is better than Forest and WBA - I genuinely think he is waiting for Gerrard to offer him a move to Villa this window and if he doesn't get it, he will sign on again with us.

Where the %^*& are folk pulling £2million from?

Nobody will be paying £2million for a player out of contract in 6months, ffs cunts are saying £100k for Soutter max.

I agree £2m is fantasy, however players on a higher wage will command more of a fee to get them early once a pre-contract is agreed than those on less money.

I have no idea what Souttar is on but Goldson will be on significantly more and is therefore worth more to us, so it’s not a direct comparison.

There are significantly worse centre backs than Conor Goldson plying their trade in the bottom half of the EPL right now
That's opinion.
The facts,as we speak, say no club in the EPL as made him an offer.
If reports are to be believed a couple of Championship sides are showing an interest.

He's rarely tested in our league, that's indisputable and clubs down south look upon our league with utter disdain.

All that said, I'd be happy if he signed on again at Ibrox.

Notts Forrest or West Brom, could be playing away at Reading next season or stay and play away to Real Madrid, no brainer.
2 year deal coming then go to the Championship.

That's opinion.
If reports are to be believed a couple of Championship sides are showing an interest.

He's rarely tested in our league, that's indisputable and clubs down south look upon our league with utter disdain.

What about our successful European campaigns in the last 3-4 seasons though? I'm sure they'll be taken into account by any prospective buyers.

Are Forest or West Brom likely to pay higher wages than us?
If so the understandable he keeps his options open. Likely to be his last decent contract

No issues with Goldson running his contract down, not the first or last to do it. Generally a player has picked up a new team going into the last 6 months, seems as though he hasn't so my only concern would be, does he start to play to not get injured and is extremely careful of challenges.
In this league especially, you can't play like that.

I think it's been pretty clear for a while - when Goldson specifically mentioned his mrs in a presser - that she/they are looking to move back to the midlands for family reasons. So WBA and Forrest are not that unsurprising as options.

I still think he will stay beyond the end of the season. If this is the clubs that are in for him then surely to f he is going to stay.

Depends - I think his mrs is pining for a return to the Midlands. So, in many ways, these clubs make sense.

And, I might be wrong, but i think his kid may be due to start school in the next year or so that may be a factor, if they want back to the Midlands area.

People on Twitter going as if it's Leyton Orient or something that are after him. These are decent teams and would be good moves for him. I hope he stays of course, but he done his duty.

Surely he has more self respect than to ditch Rangers for Forrest or Wba. Two clubs going nowhere.

People on Twitter going as if it's Leyton Orient or something that are after him. These are decent teams and would be good moves for him. I hope he stays of course, but he done his duty.
Rangers to WBA or NF is not a good move for anyone… what is good about it apart from maybe getting a few extra grand a week?

Let’s just hope others such as Aribo, Kent, Morelos don’t regard this precedent as an opportunity for them to run down their contracts & leave OOC.

We need to extend them, preferably, or sell them in Summer.

He went down in my estimation when I heard he was running down his contract. However, I heard from someone that's allegedly close to him, that he regularly gets abuse at his home.

There was an incident where his missus was in the living room and outside the window, which looks into the back yard, a mentally challenged was shouting he was going to rape her.

Someone else broke into the swimming pool.

I understand why his family might want to leave if all that is true.

So i’ll ask again, what makes it a good move for him if we’re talking football? :)
He will be playing against better opposition.
He will be playing infront of bigger crowds (obviously I mean at away games)
He will no longer be playing the same poor sides four times a year
He will be competing for promotion or play off places

That's before you start considering he's back closer to where he's from, the wages, a fresh challenge.

Who did you realistically expect to be in for him?

He is 29 and if reports are to be believed his missus wants a move back close to the Midlands. So both these teams would be good options for him if the wages are right.

Let’s just hope others such as Aribo, Kent, Morelos don’t regard this precedent as an opportunity for them to run down their contracts & leave OOC.

We need to extend them, preferably, or sell them in Summer.
If they don't extend within 12 months of there deals expiring then they must be sold and this should have happened with Goldson.

To allow the player to run down his contract and the previous management basically allowing it is highly questionable imo.

I think it's been pretty clear for a while - when Goldson specifically mentioned his mrs in a presser - that she/they are looking to move back to the midlands for family reasons. So WBA and Forrest are not that unsurprising as options.
cannot recall seeing that article but if for family reasons and its the midlands area Villa could be his move, I can see SG taking him, just out of curiosity at the AGM did RW maybe not have a sly dig by saying we have a wage structure in place and not budging, if that is the case and Lundstrum is on more that CG surely matching that wage is still keeping it in the structure

He went down in my estimation when I heard he was running down his contract. However, I heard from someone that's allegedly close to him, that he regularly gets abuse at his home.

There was an incident where his missus was in the living room and outside the window, which looks into the back yard, a mentally challenged was shouting he was going to rape her.

Really hope that is not true as that is beyond disgusting.

Family comes first every time.

I've seen Villa play live 4/5 times this season and I think CG would do fine there. Could they buy better? Absolutely, but he'd be an upgrade on Mings who can't finish a game without losing the ball at least 3 times.
He absolutely would not be an upgrade on mings, not even close.
He could easily play at a mid table EPL team.
disagree, great player for us and I love him but he’s lower epl at a push championship. Point is villa have a lot of money to spend and the goal in 2-3 years is to be top 8 pushing for CL. The big fella ain’t in that league

He will be playing against better opposition.
He will be playing infront of bigger crowds (obviously I mean at away games)
He will no longer be playing the same poor sides four times a year
He will be competing for promotion or play off places

That's before you start considering he's back closer to where he's from, the wages, a fresh challenge.

Who did you realistically expect to be in for him?
He is playing Dortmund next month, who will he play higher than that in the Championship?

Higher crowds, not necessarily

“Same poor sides” covered that in point 1

Competing for promotion? That, in your eyes is better than competing for the Champions League?

Wba or NF is NOT a good move for a Rangers player.

He absolutely would not be an upgrade on mings, not even close.

disagree, great player for us and I love him but he’s lower epl at a push championship. Point is villa have a lot of money to spend and the goal in 2-3 years is to be top 8 pushing for CL. The big fella ain’t in that league
Mings punts the ball into touch about 5 times per game and really struggles to play out from the back. Villa fans are in agreement that Mings isn't good enough.

Do I think that CG is the only answer? No, but I'm confident he would do a job there.

That's opinion.

What the outside world see is a player who couldn't hold down a place at Brighton, lost time through a heart issue, plays in Scotland and is almost 30.

Sure, he has European experience and won the league under SG but he doesn't tick too many boxes.

Ugh anyone but those gimps from Nottingham. All their fans are twats.
You can do better Connor if you really feel you have to leave.

We’ll struggle to get better than Goldson.
This is how I see it. Is he perfect? No. Does he make the odd mistake? Yes.

However, he has played something like 97% of the matches since he's been here and has played almost every minute of those matches.

He has been a terrific player for us and is clearly the leader and chief communicator in the defence.

We've had various players as part of the back 5 over the last 3 n a half seasons but the one constant has been Goldson.

His ability on the ball is superb for a defender and to replace him would cost 5-6m minimum imo.

He should be amongst the highest paid players at the club as his contribution has been as big as anyones in the last few years.

Still baffles me the abuse the guy takes from a small element of the support.

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.
He's definitely a key player for us, starts every game and been a lot more reliable lately, would like to see him stay next season.

If he left in the summer we'll have a really tough time replacing him as he was the integral component of our undefeated 55 run. Not to mention he's looked up to by the lads as Vice Captain.

Where does he live? Will happily volunteer for a neighbourhood vigilante committee.

It is true in terms of people jumping into the garden and terrifying his wife. Not sure if they said what is alleged but she panicked, and no wonder.

Where does he live? Will happily volunteer for a neighbourhood vigilante committee.

It's not for me to say mate, for obvious reasons but it's ridiculous that he's subjected to that shite.

Apparently it was someone from Possil that done it. He has since been spoken to but the damage was done.

Back