Goldson "wanted" by Nottingham Forrest and West Brom

Your surprised the richest club in the world aren't interested in Connor Goldson.

Newcastle are right in the middle of a relegation scrap, and their CBs are horrific.

With the best will in the world and all the money they want they aren’t signing top level players right now with that backdrop, they could do (and have) much worse.

He might make more money, but will miss out on European nights and trophies. But if he chooses to go, he's been a great servant to the club and we'll move on
Sadly this is the norm these days, European clubs all over the place lose their top players to go to middling EPL clubs.

They want better wages, to consistently play against better players in perceived better sides and improve themselves.

I love Goldson as a player and hope he stays but Rangers can’t afford to wait and see if he wants to stay. He should be told what our best offer is and if he knocks it back we have to move on. We are Rangers and we wait for no one.

I think he will stay until the summer no matter what happens, we are not going in to the 2nd half of the season without him and what would we get offered for him? £2M.
He is worth more to us to stay and win 56 and the money on offer from CL qualification.
When he goes I will say a big thank you for his service

Leaving European football to go and play with either of those non-entities would be wild

Could understand if it was an established EPL team but not that dross
What I do admire about Goldson is he is not pulling out of tackles and still giving 100% for the cause when you consider his situation. For him to go to a championship side I do not understand that one as when you look at some off the defenders in premier league he is better than some of them, might not get in one of the top six, would he look out of place at Arsenal, Leeds, Brighton (definitely better than Goofy), Villa, Newcastle just to name a few I do not think so. All these teams could set him up financially for the future compared to a championship side, I would love the big fella to stay with us of course but if he does sign a away from us and gets 56 would wish him all the best as he gave us his all, One thing I do notice is there does not seem to be any panicking where Rangers are concerned and who knows maybe something is being down in the background.

If he gets a 4 year deal at West Brom, he’s likely to be a first pick in the EPL within a couple of years. He will also be living back home with a happy wife.

Alternatively, he could re-sign and end his career by playing 30 games against Livi.
That type of guff boils my piss. So playing in the Championship with a permanent yo-yo club against the likes of Peterborough, or Swansea or Luton or Barnsley is glamorous and eclipses playing in Europe every season? Really?

That’s true but if he proves himself in CL, would a European challenging team not want him?

I honestly thought a team like Everton, Newcastle, Leicester would want him as a squad player. He’s handled Europa league football so I believe he could play for a mid table epl team

If they wanted him, they would be taking him now on a free (whilst younger). No European challenging team is signing a guy in his 30s from Scotland with 3/4 years on his deal.

Being perfectly honest, he’s miles and miles away from a top level EPL side - even as a squad player. Hence the current interest levels.

That type of guff boils my piss. So playing in the Championship with a permanent yo-yo club against the likes of Peterborough, or Swansea or Luton or Barnsley is glamorous and eclipses playing in Europe every season? Really?

To some people it clearly will. Especially if they’ve already done playing for us for several years.

Was reading a report about John Souttar earlier and popped into my head that Goldson hasn’t officially signed a pre-contract with anyone else yet - do we think Rangers are negotiating with him about a new deal and he’s wanting to stay? I personally wanted him punted after the Hibs game but he seems to have found his form again under Gio.
No, his agent will already have offers. Probably already agreed a deal for next season

Have to say that when I saw we trying to get Souttar in now that Goldson may be off this window - really hope not
For him to leave now he is giving up on another historic league title which I do not think he will get down south if he does go it will be about finances which at the stage of his career you could not blame him, he has served us well and we should all appreciate that

The scenarios are pretty simple here-

Goldson decides he wants to leave but we do the maths of having him onboard to win the league and rake in Champions League millions against getting say 2mill for him now & jeopardise the league title.

Goldson decides after we win the league he wants to have a crack at Champs League football & we are stronger financially to offer him better terms.

Goldson says thanks but no thanks & goes to a mediocre English team for mega money but no silverware.

What will be will be, Rangers are bigger than any player.

I think he will stay until the summer no matter what happens, we are not going in to the 2nd half of the season without him and what would we get offered for him? £2M.
He is worth more to us to stay and win 56 and the money on offer from CL qualification.
When he goes I will say a big thank you for his service
This is absolutely how I look at it.

It’s a bit like Souttar with Hearts. Goldson is our best defender and winning the title is far more important than getting say £2million now.

Connor Goldson has been a good player for us. I wish him all the best wherever he goes.

I’m really hoping to hear that Doekhi comes to us OOC.

23yo captain & leader, who could be our next opportunity for the business model looking three years ahead.

From the clips I’ve seen i’m excited at the thought of us getting him, if we can.

I'm sure his wife/ partner wants to move back to England . I think he's differently away next season. He's probably keeping all his options opened at the moment.

Connor Goldson has been a good player for us. I wish him all the best wherever he goes.

I’m really hoping to hear that Doekhi comes to us OOC.

23yo captain & leader, who could be our next opportunity for the business model looking three years ahead.

From the clips I’ve seen in excited at us getting him.
Things have been very quiet on the Doekhi and agree he would be the ideal defender going forward would certainly enhance us along with Souttar

I would much prefer to give him the £500,000 that Hearts are wanting to take Soutter now. It would be far better if we used that to extend his deal for another year minimum.
Thats only a ten k a week pay rise.
I suspect he wants more and for 3 years not 1

I hope he stays and with the recent money coming into Rangers, we should be able to offer Connor a very good contract.
Looks like he is keeping his options open however it hasn't affected his form.
I suspect we will get offers before the window closes. If we get a big enough offer, then we have a huge decision to make.

He’s nowhere near that level
I've seen Villa play live 4/5 times this season and I think CG would do fine there. Could they buy better? Absolutely, but he'd be an upgrade on Mings who can't finish a game without losing the ball at least 3 times.

Last edited:
I would like to think he is assessing his options. I get financially if he can earn more and play in the EPL then great for his family and I will never grudge a player or manager for thinking like that.

However, if these are his two options I would like to think he is considering our offer much more than two Championship teams with a good chance both will still be in the championship next year.

If we win the league and they do not get promoted I believe he signs a deal with us.

Things have been very quiet on the Doekhi and agree he would be the ideal defender going forward would certainly enhance us along with Souttar

Right now we only have Souttar & Helander that we regard as good enough for us for next season Scottie.

Both have had their injury problems as we know.

Doekhi would be a major step forward but we really would need another, whether that’s Goldson staying or a new signing ?

It does look like Balogun, Simpson, Katic won’t be a part of our plans for different reasons.

Having Bassey as an option is good of course. He’s not the tallest for CD, but he’s fitted in there well.

I've seen Villa play live 4/5 times this season and I think CG would do fine there. Could they buy better? Absolutely, but he'd be an upgrade on Mings who can't finisgba fame without losing the ball at least 3 times.
I heard in the commentary in their last match being said SG needs to strengthen CB position and if anyone knows what Goldson is about then SG does he is never injured always reliable and a very steady CB with a killer pass

Last edited:
I don’t think either Forest or WBA will be in the PL next season so Goldson may be disappointed if a PL club does not come in for him. If one does he will go. There are a number of PL teams with dodgy centre-backs who could do with him right now.

I'm sure his wife/ partner wants to move back to England . I think he's differently away next season. He's probably keeping all his options opened at the moment.
Did she tell you this or are you getting it from one of the usual media stories that we hear any time an English player gets married and is near the end of his contract?

Newcastle are right in the middle of a relegation scrap, and their CBs are horrific.

With the best will in the world and all the money they want they aren’t signing top level players right now with that backdrop, they could do (and have) much worse.

I think they will spend about £60m on a couple of
CH’s before the deadline

Right now we only have Souttar & Helander that we regard as good enough for us for next season Scottie.

Both have had their injury problems as we know.

Doekhi would be a major step forward but we really would need another, whether that’s Goldson staying or a new signing ?

It does look like Balogun, Simpson, Katic won’t be a part of our plans for different reasons.

Having Bassey as an option is good of course. He’s not the tallest for CD, but he’s fitted in there well.

Would we promote King to 4th choice?

Big ask on the lad but it’s a model we need to follow (or Mayo)

Would we promote King to 4th choice?

Big ask on the lad but it’s a model we need to follow (or Mayo)

Given the injury record of Souttar & Helander it may be a bit risky BG ?

I thought Leon looked really classy & composed on Friday night, so I really think he has a chance to go all the way for us. Is next season too early ?

I still think he will stay beyond the end of the season. If this is the clubs that are in for him then surely to f he is going to stay.

Where the %^*& are folk pulling £2million from?

Nobody will be paying £2million for a player out of contract in 6months, ffs cunts are saying £100k for Soutter max.

He would be a great signing for either as he could easy play for most teams in the premiership. He'd instantly improve Newcastle's defence. Still think he'll end up at Villa

He isn’t wanting to leave but can’t agree to stay, that’s how I see it!

The longer it goes the more I think he will stay

I think it’s simply a case that he’d stay for the right money but we aren’t able to offer him what he wants.

He’s therefore confident he can get that elsewhere, but so far it doesn’t appear anyone is willing to offer him it.

Come the summer when he becomes a free agent, if no one else is prepared to meet his demands I could see him penning a one year extension, but in all honesty maybe it’s just time for a change.

He’d quite comfortably be the best centre back at Southampton, Leeds or Brentford for example - Christ, when fit Duffy plays for Brighton.
There's a guy on here using Duffy being preferred over Goldson at Brighton about 5 years ago as reason for him not being good enough for EPL now

Not sure why he isn't using the far more recent evidence of last season to inform his opinion that shows Goldson has progressed far beyond Duffy's level, who appears to have regressed massively.

Back