Barisic

Raybowski

I'm sure this isn't the first thread about him so apologies. Haven't been on here until now (rage only just subsided this morning)

What's the general feeling on him after Wednesday? In these situations, it's so easy to look for a scapegoat and pin all the blame there and nowhere else. Certainly the whole team (McGregor, Arfield and Jack aside) let themselves and the supporters down but none more so than Borna Barisic. I honestly don't want to see him play again this season and for him to be sold in the summer. I don't have a problem with Rangers getting beaten but I do have a problem with players chucking it mid-match. That third goal makes me feel ill.

He's looked largely done this season. He was never fast, but has lost all pace and is incapable of using his right foot. I still think we should have signed another left back in the summer as Bassey isn't the long term answer either.

He played terrible however I think Gio’s system made it impossible for him. In possession when he had the ball with no options to pass to and out of possession whereby Gio’s positioning of Kent meant that Celtic were very quickly able to get in a 2v1 situation on Barisic all night.

Rangers Review have an article explaining all this.

Last edited:
Bassey at left back, youth left back on the bench, new number 1 left back in the summer unless Bassey gives us a reason to not need one.

He played terrible however I think Gio’s system made it impossible for him. In possession when he had the ball with no options to pass to and out of possession whereby Gio’s position of Kent out of possession meant that Celtic were very quickly able to get in a 2v1 situation on Barisic all night.

Tactics have nothing to do with his unwillingness to confront a tiny little 19 yr old winger head-on.

He buckled psychologically and that is of his own doing, he's weak-minded.

In positions of a potential attack, he decided to retreat and set a negative mindset on the rest of the team in doing so.

He's finished at Rangers for me.

The tactics were awful so it’s not all on him but honestly he’s been poor all season and for me, getting away with it. Very rarely criticised. Bassey should get a run at LB with Balogun returning and a new LB should be signed in the summer.

Tactics have nothing to do with his unwillingness to confront a tiny little 19 yr old winger head-on.

He buckled psychologically and that is of his own doing, he's weak-minded.

In positions of a potential attack, he decided to retreat and set a negative mindset on the rest of the team in doing so.

He's finished at Rangers for me.
That’s the issue, a 19 year old winger wasn’t the only thing he had to worry about on Wednesday night.

Go and read the Rangers Review article. Celtics wide men and midfielders were rotating all night, that meant that when the 19 year old winger came inside barisic had to follow and likewise O’Riley went out wide and dragged our midfielder out there. This created havoc and they passed around us. As painful as it is, go watch the 2nd goal back. This is exactly what happened.

He had no where to go in “potential attacks”. Not one man to pass to - everyone was being covered by a Celtic player.

All came down to Gio’s tactics - then some honking performances mixed in. Had we kept a shape like 433 under Gerrard - where men sit and protect space religiously instead of looking to block individual men, none of this would have happened.

He seems so mentally broken I'm genuinely a bit worried about him.

We need a sports psychologist in working with him as if there's any chance of getting the old Borna back we should be taking it. He made the difference in a lot of big european games.

He's looked largely done this season. He was never fast, but has lost all pace and is incapable of using his right foot. I still think we should have signed another left back in the summer as Bassey isn't the long term answer either.
Bassey offered so much more than Barisic at left back in that second half. He should be our first choice left back for the rest of the season and, depending on how he does, we should look for either a better replacement or a number 2.

Barisic’s time at the club is up unfortunately.

Tactics didn’t help him but that’s absolutely no excuse for not at least busting a gut and getting stuck in. That’s the minimum you should expect at that level.

In truth in his 4 seasons we’ve had one consistently good season out of him. Had some good moments in season 2, but over the piece he hasn’t nearly contributed enough. He’s also the last guy I’d want in the trenches with me.

I’d only use him from here on out in an emergency and look to ship him out in the summer.

I’m disappointed in him. He used to be one of the most reliable guys in the team. You count the number of great performances he’s had this season on the one hand.

Having said that his delivery is still just miles better than Bassey’s (even though Barisic doesn’t get forward as much under Gio’s system).

I’d be happy with Bassey starting against Hearts. But I think Barisic still has a part to play this season.

He played terrible however I think Gio’s system made it impossible for him. In possession when he had the ball with no options to pass to and out of possession whereby Gio’s positioning of Kent meant that Celtic were very quickly able to get in a 2v1 situation on Barisic all night.

The amount of times he faced 2v1's was ridiculous and should have been addressed by the manager. His switching off at the 3rd goal is another matter.

There was a point early on when he went to get the ball to take a throw in and one of their scummy fans (or ball boy) threw the ball away. Could see Borna having words and they were laughing at him. Knew then he was rattled and he played like it

I haven’t read the article but that was clear as day. Kent was in no-man’s land. One pass took him out of the game and suddenly Barisic had Juranovic running at him and Abada running off him. He didn’t cope well, but Gio’s tactics were amateur.

We’re seeing the Borna of his first few months at the club. I hope he can turn it around, as he a great player when playing with confidence.

He played really poorly but again it was another situation of Gio’s formation hanging one of our players out to dry. Constantly being up against 2 on 1’s.

As dreadful as Baisic was he was not helped by our set up. He was playing against 2 most of the time. We need to look at the way we are setting up- Kent hugging the touch line for example is not working. Complete rethink required from the management starting Sun or the season ends sooner that expected

I hope he plays Bassey on Sunday. He isn’t brilliant but you get his best consistently . Barisic is up and down like a yo-yo and his best invariably comes in games where we are hammering teams.

Having watched the game, both the fullbacks sat off there wingers, everybody could see after 2 mins that that was there plan. Both tavenier and borna were never tight to them to cut out the ball before it got to them. It was as if they had been told to do this. There wingers were allowed to get the ball and turn

^^^^^

This - he had no out ball other than back to the "horseshoe".

I'm sure this isn't the first thread about him so apologies. Haven't been on here until now (rage only just subsided this morning)

What's the general feeling on him after Wednesday? In these situations, it's so easy to look for a scapegoat and pin all the blame there and nowhere else. Certainly the whole team (McGregor, Arfield and Jack aside) let themselves and the supporters down but none more so than Borna Barisic. I honestly don't want to see him play again this season and for him to be sold in the summer. I don't have a problem with Rangers getting beaten but I do have a problem with players chucking it mid-match. That third goal makes me feel ill.
Barisic looks increasingly like yesterday's man. GVB playing with more conventional wingers and full backs doesn't suit his game, and when he does get forward his delivery is just erratic lately. Bassey fits the formation better for me. Fully expect him to be sold in summer.

Whatever tactics is used does not excuse him not closing crosses going in ever or making a tackle. Sure tactIcs can influence the game but it does not excuse him not doing the basics which is showing the intensity and will to stop the cross getting into the box. Something he has not done all season.

I think we have all given him the benefit of the doubt as we know what he can do, there was a period where his crossing / balls in to the box were pin point.

Hes just not been with it this season - at all.

Being called a shytebag from McGregor was sad to see

Barisic had a absolute nightmare on an individual level, the 3rd goal case and point.

But what I don’t get is what is Gios actual game plan. For all the ‘We set up defensively’ we didn’t really do any defending. Also the wingers stand so wide and high they can easily be bypassed by the opposition which then leaves your full backs exposed in 2v1 situations.

We set up not to attack, but as a shape we weren’t defensive either in terms of closing the space. We try to play on the counter but we don’t force the opposition into making errors via a press, so in reality the counter never happens and you end up retreating with the opposition holding us in our own half.

For me the players looked lost and really not onboard with the system. That’s the biggest worry. A defeat at piggery happens, but the way we are playing is worrying. 6 goals conceded in 2 games!

Back