After an abject performance, there are usually casualties, how many changes?

Much as I hate saying it I think we need to move on from McGregor. He's been unbelievable for us but feels like a season too far. He made some decent saves on Wednesday but all saves you'd expect him to make. His distribution isn't good enough and he has cost us too may goals this season.

Having said that he's by no means our biggest issue. Right through the team there are problems and that's not just based on Wednesday. Tav and Borna aren't as effective in the style Gio likes to play and we just aren't seeing the best of them. Borna was abysmal against them, so definitely needs dropped. Tav needs to improve massively.
Bassey has done well playing out of position but needs to switch to left back now and Balogun should partner Goldson until Helander is fit to challenge for a place.

Middle of the park we were overrun. Kamara hasn't been at it all season really, and much as we love him we know Arfield's limitations. I'd drop both and bring in Jack/Davis and Ramsey if all are fit. I'm a bit annoyed that Lowry hasn't seen any gametime since two MOTM performances, I thought he should have come on during the second half on Wednesday just for the experience (albeit a terrible one) if nothing else.

Sakala is a conundrum but he offered more than Kent who was woeful. Aribo wasn't much better but hopefully that was just a one off. I'll give Diallo the benefit of the doubt as it was his first OF and he's a kid just come up the roud.

Roofe was anonymous, yes he had no service but sometimes you need to make things happen for yourself (as he's done before) but he just hid for the majority of the game. Morelos in that role from now on.

I think we should look to move Roofe on in the summer, too injury prone and too streaky when he is fit. Need a more dependable alternative to Alfie.

I'd go with:

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey
Jack
Davis
Ramsey
Aribo
Diallo
Morelos

Since Gio arrived...

We win at Hibs, who won the penalty?
Hearts, first goal, Kent heavily involved
St Johnstone at home, Kent scored,
Aberdeen, who set up our goal?
Ross County, who set up Tavs goal?

That is disregarding absolute gold chances give to Morelos at Tynecastle, Sakala at Ross County, Roofe and Goldson the other night, even during a game when he was gash.

The creation coming from Kent isn't as much an issue as some make out, given how devoid we look of ideas we aren't in a place to give that up TBH

You have backed up your argument with some stats. Looks like 3 assists and a goal. I must be greedy m8, just think that needs to improve. Compare and contrast with thats mob on wing play.

Out of the starting 11 on Wednesday, I think at least 3 will be bombed out.

Kent, Barasic, Kamara, are IMO certainties. This could easily be doubled.

For distribution and commanding his box I would like Mclaughlin.

I myself am 50/50 on Diallo, and if dropped would not be asking too many questions.

Roofe will make way for Morelos which was always going to be the case.
Lineup for me SHOULD be:

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Balogun Bassey
Arfield Jack Kamara
Fashion Morelos Aribo

If he’s fit, give Ramsey the last 20/30 mins in place of Kamara.

If we get ahead or are commanding the game, bring Amad on for Fashion.

You have backed up your argument with some stats. Looks like 3 assists and a goal. I must be greedy m8, just think that needs to improve. Compare and contrast with thats mob on wing play.

It's redundant to do that TBH, our coach has referenced his want to keep the zero not to score 3 or 4, we play and look to be a side with a defensive mindset, we just can't defend that well either.

Borna has to be dropped his performance was embarrassing and he has shown the manager that he cannot be trusted.

If the Polish boy is a right back, which there seems to be some confusion about then I would drop Tav for him if his work permit is sorted. Tav needs to know he can be dropped.

Kamara and Arfield dropped for Ramsey and Jack even if it is only for 60 mins

Amad for Sakala and Roofe for Morelos.

So yeah for me wholesale changes needed.

It's redundant to do that TBH, our coach has referenced his want to keep the zero not to score 3 or 4, we play and look to be a side with a defensive mindset, we just can't defend that well either.

fair point.

You could see as brutal as

McLaughlin

Sands Goldson Balogun Bassey

Jack Ramsey Arfield

Aribo Morelos Sakala

Meaning McGregor, Tav, Barisic, Kamara, Roofe, Kent & Diallo dropped but he won’t be as blunt.

McGregor, Tav and Kent will keep their places.

I think we’ll see 4-5 dropped.

Rightly so.

Also Balogun, Jack, Ramsey, Morelos to come back in definitely.
I’m not convinced Jack & Ramsey will start due to fitness. Would expect both to feature later on with the view of them maybe starting against Hibs.

I’m not convinced Jack & Ramsey will start due to fitness. Would expect both to feature later on with the view of them maybe starting against Hibs.
I think Jack will start & Ramsey will get at least 30 mins.

I think we’ll see Balogun for Barisic, Jack for Kamara, Ramsey for Arfield and Morelos for Roofe.

No idea what’s going on with Kent at the minute either, but I don’t think we’ll see him dropped for Sakala in this game.

There are a number in the squad who need to have a long, hard look at themselves and their mentality towards this season. If they don’t want to be here, fine, but all but downing tools isn’t the way to go about getting the big move that they think they’re due.

Stick a team out that can beat Hearts and beat them well. I want to see improvement from the players as well as the manager.

McLaughlin

Jack Kamara Ramsey

Aribo Morelos Kent

Would be my starting line up. Kamara, Kent and Tav all on notice to buck up. But for me it’s simple.

Play Kamara with guys who will play triangles and pass and move instead of two very attacking midfielders next to him. Then re assess his contribution.

Kent gets on as how can you even begin to play football with Barisic your full back not resembling a footballer and retreating every time he got the ball. Again re asses his contribution with the minor tweak.

Tav plays through a mixture of lack of options and the new guy being straight in the door. Again he is told in no uncertain terms his position is potentially lost if he doesn’t improve fast.
This is my team although Sakala and Arfield are running Kamara and Kent very close.

Aribo needs to play further forward and has been the case for a long time.

Barisic, Tav, Kent, Kamara and Diallo should be dropped if Gio has anything about him.

I'd be suprised if at least 4 of them don't start on Sunday however.

Team v Hearts, I think Gio will go:

McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Bassey; Jack, Kamara, Aribo; Amad, Morelos, Kent.

I’d prefer:

McGregor; Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Bassey; Jack, Kamara, Arfield; Aribo, Morelos, Sakala.

Much as I hate saying it I think we need to move on from McGregor. He's been unbelievable for us but feels like a season too far. He made some decent saves on Wednesday but all saves you'd expect him to make. His distribution isn't good enough and he has cost us too may goals this season.

Having said that he's by no means our biggest issue. Right through the team there are problems and that's not just based on Wednesday. Tav and Borna aren't as effective in the style Gio likes to play and we just aren't seeing the best of them. Borna was abysmal against them, so definitely needs dropped. Tav needs to improve massively.
Bassey has done well playing out of position but needs to switch to left back now and Balogun should partner Goldson until Helander is fit to challenge for a place.

Middle of the park we were overrun. Kamara hasn't been at it all season really, and much as we love him we know Arfield's limitations. I'd drop both and bring in Jack/Davis and Ramsey if all are fit. I'm a bit annoyed that Lowry hasn't seen any gametime since two MOTM performances, I thought he should have come on during the second half on Wednesday just for the experience (albeit a terrible one) if nothing else.

Sakala is a conundrum but he offered more than Kent who was woeful. Aribo wasn't much better but hopefully that was just a one off. I'll give Diallo the benefit of the doubt as it was his first OF and he's a kid just come up the roud.

Roofe was anonymous, yes he had no service but sometimes you need to make things happen for yourself (as he's done before) but he just hid for the majority of the game. Morelos in that role from now on.

I think we should look to move Roofe on in the summer, too injury prone and too streaky when he is fit. Need a more dependable alternative to Alfie.

I'd go with:

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey
Jack
Davis
Ramsey
Aribo
Diallo
Morelos
Kind of agree with you on McGregor, conceding 6 goals in 2 games, no matter the circumstances would called for a change in keeper.

Kamara and Jack were the perfect catalyst for the fullbacks to roam forward, they would always slot in to provide cover. Obviously that was a Beale/Gerrard setup and doesn’t mean that it would be the case now. It looks to me that Gio wants more defensive minded fullback, if that is the case, then he’ll always find issues with Tav and Borna (who should now have lost his place to Bassey).

There should be a few changes for Sunday. Barisic should be out for definite with Bassey moving out to left back and Balogun coming in. I would drop Tav as well and give the new guy a chance. Jack should be starting as well and Morelos coming back in also.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey

Jack
Arfield
Ramsey

Sakala
Morelos
Aribo

Tav and Goldson survive due to lack of options.

Borna, Kamara, Kent and Roofe (more just because Morelos is back). You could easily thrown in the goalkeeper and the captain but I doubt we will go that far.

Barisic will be the only casualty. Kent 9/10 received the ball with his back to goal . I felt sorry for the forward three as they never got a chance to impose themselves on the game.

Last edited:
I know McGregor stopped it being worse than it was but we need better distribution if we’re going to play it about the defence so much

Bassey gets a run at LB

Kent needs a boot up the arse and benched

Morelos back in the team

Ramsey

I don’t think he’ll drop Kent.
Gio hasn't got the sentimental attachment to these players that Gerrard had. Kent was awful, the one thing we can usually depend on him for is effort and not hiding even when he's playing badly. On Wednesday he realised he couldn't get past Juranovic, so resorted to a couple of weak shots from distance before disappearing completely.

He's got no credit in the bank for performances this season either. I'd honestly be shocked & disappointed if Kent starts on Sunday.

At Feyenoord GvB wasn’t slow in dropping under performers.

Thankfully Morelos is back so no Roofe.

Bassey simply has to come in for Barišić.

You could pick others too; Tavernier, McGregor, Kamara, Kent, Diallo.
I think if the polish full back has sorted the work permit he might at last look at replacing Tav or at least giving him 30 minutes to see what he can do and Morelos will be back so Roofe will be out ,Bassey might take the left back position and I hope he makes Jack captain,we will see.A goalie change might also be on the cards.

Because he is as much a victim of tactical setup TBH, a better manager would be looking to play a system that suits the players he does have rather than imposing a formation on them.

It would be worth a manager considering the why a player struggled
You’ve hit the nail on the head.

Thankfully Morelos is back so no Roofe.

Bassey simply has to come in for Barišić.

You could pick others too; Tavernier, McGregor, Kamara, Kent, Diallo.

Are you sure mate? Plenty on here have called him a shitebag.

You wouldnt think someone who is a shitebag would drop established players. (Who knows , maybe these experts on here are wrong)

He will make changes for sunday, after the first half shitshow at the piggery he rang the changes at half time. Three changes is something gerrard would not have done at that stage of the game.

Two centre Half's who are actually centre Half's, two full backs who can actually defend and a goal keeper who commands his area would be a start.

The number of changes on Sunday could be anything from 1 - 7. We made 3 subs at half time on Wednesday but at least 1 of them should have been after 30 mins, if not sooner.

Starting 11 depends a lot on the fitness of Jack, Davis, Ramsey, Balogun.. None of whom have played 90 mins for some time.. We need to start integrating them into the starting 11 though and with 5 subs allowed it should be easier.

I think if the polish full back has sorted the work permit he might at last look at replacing Tav or at least giving him 30 minutes to see what he can do and Morelos will be back so Roofe will be out ,Bassey might take the left back position and I hope he makes Jack captain,we will see.A goalie change might also be on the cards.
You think a Manager and a team under enormous pressure, having just been humped by their main rivals, are going to drop the Captain and start a new, young full-back - who may not even have trained with the squad yet - against the next best team in the country? I’m not seeing it mate.

I wouldn’t even start young Diallo in a game that will likely have a shite, toxic, atmosphere reminiscent of the abuse thrown at Wright in the Livi game. He looked visibly shaken by it.

Since Gio arrived...

We win at Hibs, who won the penalty?
Hearts, first goal, Kent heavily involved
St Johnstone at home, Kent scored,
Aberdeen, who set up our goal?
Ross County, who set up Tavs goal?

That is disregarding absolute gold chances give to Morelos at Tynecastle, Sakala at Ross County, Roofe and Goldson the other night, even during a game when he was gash.

The creation coming from Kent isn't as much an issue as some make out, given how devoid we look of ideas we aren't in a place to give that up TBH

I have to agree, he’s not been as bad as many make out.

They totally swamped his area on Wednesday night, as they knew his threat. Later on when he got a bit more space he had the two crosses you refer to, plus a decent shot.

He’s not at his best, but I’d still play him on Sunday.

id start to try and get lowry into the team, looking at him being a starter in time for next season if he continues playing well.

McLaughlin

Jack Kamara Ramsey

Aribo Morelos Kent

Would be my starting line up. Kamara, Kent and Tav all on notice to buck up. But for me it’s simple.

Play Kamara with guys who will play triangles and pass and move instead of two very attacking midfielders next to him. Then re assess his contribution.

Kent gets on as how can you even begin to play football with Barisic your full back not resembling a footballer and retreating every time he got the ball. Again re asses his contribution with the minor tweak.

Tav plays through a mixture of lack of options and the new guy being straight in the door. Again he is told in no uncertain terms his position is potentially lost if he doesn’t improve fast.
That's exactly what I'm expecting to see on Sunday and for the foreseeable.

Would love Jack to start Grigo. At least he showed a bit of well needed heart on Wednesday unlike the 1st half shambles.

Despite what many say, Jack is one of our TRUE leaders.

I’m hoping he gets that hour to lead us SG, because this is a massive game psychologically mate.

We just must get 3 points.

McLaughlin

Jack Kamara Ramsey

Aribo Morelos Kent

I’d love this to be the case Coza, but will Ramsey be fit enough to start ?

Back