After an abject performance, there are usually casualties, how many changes?

He has 14-17 games here max. If we are to get the best out of him he has to find his fitness on the pitch imo . Go give us your best 50-60 and then sub him if toiling.

It would undoubtedly give us a major lift. I do hope you’re right mate.

I’d think Jack alongside Kamara with Ramsey in front. Sakala, Morelos and probably Aribo to complete. Balogun in for barisic and bassey out wide.

Dropping Kent would be harsh for me. He didn’t stop trying and didn’t go missing. He’s just low on confidence and form. Sakala needs to play.

I think and hope their will be a number of changes……Ramsey, Jack, Sakala, Bolagun, Morelos must start for me.
This is a must win game-3 points is a must. Also,the performance must be good - we need to show we are up for the fight

Greegs, Jack, Arfield, first names on the team sheet.
Ryan Kent needs to be brought in from the wing, you can see he hates being stuck out there.
Ramsey has to start, Alfie up front and even Lowry as cover for Ramsey when he tires.
And no barasic.

Lots sticking Arfield in their team - and I can fully understand why. I'm not so sure Scotty is up for three games a week these days, especially when one involved chasing shadows for much of the match. Great servant, lots to contribute still - but I'm not so sure he will start tomorrow.

Iirc Davis and Balogun were the only ones who didn’t play against Livi, after our Hampden show of cowardice. I like that Arfield said there is self reflection for individuals, some individuals might not get the chance to right a horrible wrong but there needs to be a bounce in performance. There MUST be a reaction, I think Borna is done but would like Kamara to have to run the gauntlet. Yes every control is scrutinised, yes every weak backwards pass is scrutinised, disgustingly letting runners past him lazily. Premier league wage we were told, bumper new contract! Well let’s see it then, let’s see what you’re made of, all of them

Think we expect too much from Kent. People will say “aye but for 7 million…” let’s be honest, 7 mill is not a lot of money for the big leagues and to have a winger that can beat a player is something rare and comes at a premium.

I’m not defending Kent’s performance (totally) but he was doubled up on for a large part of the game, especially in the first half. Borna should have been providing another option or dragging one of the players off him to make it a 1v1.

Be amazed if he does, but Kamara, Borna and McGregor should be left at Auchenhowie and nowhere near the team.

If we changed up formation I wouldn't mind him keeping his place. He worked very well in a 4-3-3. I think it's the formation that is the problem.
Kamara has been pish all season, but he’s being totally hung out to dry in Gio’s system.

Other than 1 sub appearance the same could’ve been said for Jack, but it didn’t look like it on Wednesday.
To be fair, Jack is an absolute freak of nature in that regard!

I think Ramsey will be on the bench, hopefully he’s used when we’re winning rather than needing him to be a match winner.

Kamara has been pish all season, but he’s being totally hung out to dry in Gio’s system.
I agree mate. He's not played near his standard of last season, and was poor under Gerrard this season, but the tactics Gio plays leaves us wide open in the middle of the park and the midfielders are struggling to get any control.

I see is lining up

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey

Jack
Aribo
Arfield

Kent
Morelos
Fashion Jnr

I think we’ll see 4-5 dropped.

Rightly so.

Also Balogun, Jack, Ramsey, Morelos to come back in definitely.
Will Ramsey be fit to start?
I don't think there'll be as many changes as some think.
Barasic will make way at LB for Bassey, with Balagoun in Central defence
Jack in for Kamara and hopefully Alfie for Roofe.
I think Kent will play, although personally I would leave him out.

Provided Alfie is back it’s 4 changes for me. Most will disagree but I’d stick with both Kent and Kamara and turf out invisible man Diallo. I’d be tempted to drop McGregor but think that one will be saved for later in the month.

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey
Jack
Kamara/Davis
Aribo
Sakala
Morelos
Kent

Don’t think Jack will last beyond the hour so that’s when Ramsey will replace him and that’s probably when Diallo replaces Kent/Sakala and Roofe replaces Alfie.

I really want to see photos of Alfie at training today. If not, it’s likely he will only make the bench.
Just out of interest VB, why does Kent get a pass but not Diallo? Seems a bit harsh.

And I'd give McLaughlin a chance in goal to freshen things up. Can't argue with the rest of your team.

For Sunday I’d go

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Barisic

Jack
Arfield
Aribo

Sakala
Morelos
Kent

id start to try and get lowry into the team, looking at him being a starter in time for next season if he continues playing well.
Agreed, a midfield diamond for me
Jack
Ramsey
Aribo
Lowry
None of our wingers are in form.
Get our width from Tav and big Calvin.
McLaughlin in goal, Sakala and Morelos upfront.

Barisic will be dropped, no doubt. Then there are arguments for most of the rest but I'd say the most at risk are Bassey, Kamara, Kent, Diallo and Roofe.

The issue is who comes in for that kind of level of change. We're not dropping Barisic and Bassey together, for example, as much as it may be warranted.

I think Balogun, Jack and Sakala all deserve starts and I hope to see Ramsey involved. I've said elsewhere, I'm concerned putting him in against the MMA boys in maroon but he's got to get up to speed ASAP.

As for striker, well, get the Buffalo back in immediately.

Just out of interest VB, why does Kent get a pass but not Diallo? Seems a bit harsh.

And I'd give McLaughlin a chance in goal to freshen things up. Can't argue with the rest of your team.
Not for me. I wasn't aboard the Diallo express after Ross County either. Talented boy, great skill - but no team ethic, poor application and tactical awareness for me. His goal aside he was anonymous in the first half at County - but then had an excellent 20 minutes or so (along with everybody else) at the start of the second half. It showed what he is capable of. On Wednesday he was simply anonymous. In fact I was surprised when one poster said he'd lost possession 7 times in the first half because I couldn't remember him even touching the ball that number of times. Ordinarily, given his age and the fixture I'd have given him a free pass for Wednesday but on the back of the first half at County it concerns me greatly. As I said, great talent - just needs to apply it to help the team. Bench for now as far as I'm concerned. Sakala is the polar opposite. Hasn't the ability of Diallo, and can be a headless chicken, but he will always try to be involved and try to make something happen - even if its by accident LOL.

As for Kent, there's no question he's in poor form and has been for a while. Unlike some, I don't think he showed a lack of effort on Wednesday. In fact, in that dreadful first half he was often the only one always looking to get on the ball and take on their defence. He didn't fare well at that at all though, and he failed miserably, along with Kamara, to give Borna any cover. It wasn't for lack of effort though - at least going forward.

That's basically my reasoning mate. I can excuse anyone a poor performance, sometimes even a run of them, but its a lot harder to excuse a lack of effort. Some throw that at Kent but its actually one of the last things I'd accuse him of. Even on Wednesday.

Finally, yeah I think the time has come for McLaughlin to take over the reins - but after the carnage of Wednesday I think its a game too soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen this month though.

Last edited:
Lots sticking Arfield in their team - and I can fully understand why. I'm not so sure Scotty is up for three games a week these days, especially when one involved chasing shadows for much of the match. Great servant, lots to contribute still - but I'm not so sure he will start tomorrow.

Agree VB, without any criticism of the player.

Not for me. I wasn't aboard the Diallo express after Ross County either. Talented boy, great skill - but no team ethic, poor application and tactical awareness for me. His goal aside he was anonymous in the first half at County - but then had an excellent 20 minutes or so (along with everybody else) at the start of the second half. It showed what he is capable of. On Wednesday he was simply anonymous. In fact I was surprised when one poster said he'd lost possession 7 times in the first half because I couldn't remember him even touching the ball that number of times. Ordinarily, given his age and the fixture I'd have given him a free pass for Wednesday but on the back of the first half at County it concerns me greatly. As I said, great talent - just needs to apply it to help the team. Bench for now as far as I'm concerned. Sakala is the polar opposite. Hasn't the ability of Diallo, and can be a headless chicken, but he will always try to be involved and try to make something happen - even if its by accident LOL.

As for Kent, there's no question he's in poor form and has been for a while. Unlike some, I don't think he showed a lack of effort on Wednesday. In fact, in that dreadful first half he was often the only one always looking to get on the ball and take on their defence. He didn't fare well at that at all though, and he failed miserably, along with Kamara, to give Borna any cover. It wasn't for lack of effort though - at least going forward.

That's basically my reasoning mate. I can excuse anyone a poor performance, sometimes even a run of them, but its a lot harder to excuse a lack of effort. Some throw that at Kent but its actually one of the last things I'd accuse him of. Even on Wednesday.

Finally, yeas I think the time has come for McLaughlin to take over the reins - but after the carnage of Wednesday I think its a game too soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen this month though.
100% agree re effort - it's something you can never question of Kent. But his recent form leaves a fair bit to be desired, hopefully he rediscovers it soon because we need him providing service to Alfie.

And I think Diallo deserves another chance; Wednesday was a nightmare for him but he's far from alone in that regard & it was only his second game. Huge potential if he bounces back (and helps the team more when he's out of possession as you've made reference to).

100% agree re effort - it's something you can never question of Kent. But his recent form leaves a fair bit to be desired, hopefully he rediscovers it soon because we need him providing service to Alfie.

And I think Diallo deserves another chance; Wednesday was a nightmare for him but he's far from alone in that regard & it was only his second game. Huge potential if he bounces back (and helps the team more when he's out of possession as you've made reference to).
I hope I've been too harsh. As I say, ability isn't in question - its the other stuff that worries me. I've no doubt there will be times when he rips the opposition a new arsehole when given the chance. I want to see much more from him though and I think, with the pressure on and a win essential, he will be benched for Sunday. We need 100% from everyone. If not, I hope he tears a few Hearts asunder.:)

It should be Roofe and Alfie up top on a 442.

Shagger
Tav
Golson
Balogun
Bassey
Jack
Ramsey
Aribo
Arfield
Roofe
Alfie

Time to change this formation, aint working.
Agree with this.

With "gio's style" we have no attacking threat with full-backs not going forward and no structure in midfield. Leaving huge gaps.

Last season we defended as a unit and covered when Tav and Barasic got up the pitch. This season they are not providing the assists for goals and we are being found out big time.

Tav is on thin ice for me too tho but if as Rangers captain surely you see a huge response from him on Sunday.

We need players with character who take pride in their performance and standards every game from now till end of the season. I'd have Jack and Arfield in every game. Kamara, Barisic and Kent can start on bench and it doesn't weeken our team based on current form. Bassey as our starting left back rest of season.

You have backed up your argument with some stats. Looks like 3 assists and a goal. I must be greedy m8, just think that needs to improve. Compare and contrast with thats mob on wing play.

A classic example of why not to rely on stats alone.

For me Kent is not hitting the levels expected and has stagnated badly. From initial promise and some big performances in some big games, he has really struggled with consistency and I never feel confident that he is going to make something happen.

For 7 million I don’t think he has represented value for money, Liverpool were at it.

I think we’ll see 4-5 dropped.

Rightly so.

Also Balogun, Jack, Ramsey, Morelos to come back in definitely.
If Ramsey wasn't fit enough for even a place on the bench on Wednesday then there's zero chance he starts on Sunday.

Balogun, Jack, Sakala and Morelos in for Barisic, Arfield, Diallo and Roofe.

Edit - if Ramsey is fit then him in for Kamara.

You really don't like him, do you?

Nope I can't stand him this season. He's costing us the league and people are too blinkered to see it.

I'd rather play our best team available instead of playing guys on sentiment only.

If Ramsey wasn't fit enough for even a place on the bench on Wednesday then there's zero chance he starts on Sunday.
I agree. Listening to Arfield and he says he hopes Ramsey gets fit soon or quickly. So I take it as he won't be ready, which is strange considering he has been fit and training with Juventus since November after his injury/illness

I agree. Listening to Arfield and he says he hopes Ramsey gets fit soon or quickly. So I take it as he won't be ready, which is strange considering he has been fit and training with Juventus since November after his injury/illness
He was out injured from November till Xmas time then he was out with covid in the new year, so he's not been fit and available for a few months.

Been a lot of talk about Gio being to negative ,on Wednesday we played with 5 players who really don't do defending ie Roofe,Kent,Diallo,Aribo and Arfield add to that Barasic and Tav who's strengths are not defending that leaves us with Kamara ,Goldson,Bassey and the goalie to defend against a team who played like their lives depended on it .

It should be Roofe and Alfie up top on a 442.

Shagger
Tav
Golson
Balogun
Bassey
Jack
Ramsey
Aribo
Arfield
Roofe
Alfie

Time to change this formation, aint working.
4-4-2 with no wide players? Don’t see that happening.

I think Barasic (fairly obvious) / Kent / Kamara and Roofe will all drop the the bench starting line up will be along these lines

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey

Jack
Aribo
Arfield

Diallo
Morelos
Sakala

Bench including