After an abject performance, there are usually casualties, how many changes?

It’s ok calling for all sorts of changes and people dropped to make you feel better about midweek but other than Morelos who was always coming back in anyway and possibly Ramsey if he’s fit do folk really think the replacements will come and not be capable of making mistakes?

Sure drop McGregor and replace him with J.McG who’s a fine keeper but you’re taking out a guy who is capable of world class saves on his day no one else can make and replace him with someone who’s a steady 7/10 each game - maybe that is what’s needed at this point

Drop Barisic and put Bassey at left back? Let’s be honest Bassey will always have mistakes in him too - even at left back.

Drop Tav and play a youth player from Poland?

Goldson is back to getting it again - do we chuck the baby out with the bath water and fire Balogun in there who’s either a 5/10 or a 9/10

The lad from Man United is no longer good enough anymore - who comes in for him? Scott Wright?

Kent’s turn now - do we turn to Sakala who has little end product?
The squad needs an overhaul in the summer.
To many players are complacent.

I’ve a lot of time for Borna, but it was one of those performances that was so abject it could end his time at Rangers. Not helped by an ever-improving rival for his position emerging.
Bassey has a bigger presence, he's faster, stronger and actually tracks back and challenges for the ball - Borna isn't doing himself any favours with recent performances, he's only above Bassey with his final ball for me.

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Balogun
Bassey
Jack
Ramsey
Aribo
Diallo
Morelos
Sakala

Would be my team to face Hearts if all are fit.
If Patterson was still around I'd drop Tav.
If Souttar had signed I'd drop Goldson.

Given his lack of fitness I don't expect Ramsey to start, but he needs to get up to speed pretty bloody quickly.

How many changes?

Not enough. We don’t have the depth and unfortunately GVB doesn’t strike me as being the kind of manager with a big enough personality to make a statement with a couple of high profile casualties like Tavernier, Kent, McGregor (he’s included because we need to plan for life after him sooner rather than later). Other than Jack, none of them played well enough to justify a starting place this weekend. Many of them have done this plenty of times previously and do just enough in the next game to deflect criticism and make the hard of thinking assume they had a “one-off” bad performance or have “turned the corner”.

I can see it now - drop Kamara & Barisic, beat Hearts 2-0 and pretend everything is ok. It isn’t. To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace after he’d been f****d up the arse (much like that humiliating performance in midweek) “we’re very f*****g far from ok”.

I’d go full out, complete change, send out a message Wednesday is not acceptable at this Club.

we have been playing as a team of 11 guys just flung together anyway

McLaughlin

Sands Balogun Simpson Bassey

Jack Davis Ramsay

Wright Morelos Sakala

subs to be used if needed Lundstram, Itten, Simpson, King, Zukowski, McCrorie

to warm the bench, but sent out every 15 mins to warm up

any of Tav, Goldson, Arfield Aribo, Kent, Roofe, Amad

The others sitting in the stands with

McGregor, Barisic, Kamara

but we will get one, two changes tops

Safe to assume the players hooked at half time will be dropped from the starting eleven and Morelos back in for Roofe. The only one who I think stands a (slim) chance of starting is Diallo because his competition for the RW spot is Wright. Sakala is better on the left, but I don't see Kent being dropped despite how poor he's been since the break. If Ramsey is fit then he'll start, but we don't really know that right now. It would bring up questions though as to how he can start this game but wasn't ready to even be on the bench for the OF game. Not that it would have changed anything.

Whoever starts, they owe us a 90 minute performance and to top up the GD.

Back