Aaron Ramsey - Next Season

No.

If this loan is a success then he'll be using it to prove that he can still offer an EPL side something worthwhile. If it isnt then why would we want to keep him?

He’s still got a year of his contract to run with Juve, right? I would say that makes it a complete non starter, even ignoring the very wishful thinking he would drop into our wage structure.
Never in a month of Sundays did anyone think he would be here in the first place, so, there might be a little hope, but not much.

For starters, I'd be absolutely stunned if he wanted to continue playing on Scotland beyond the summer.

And I totally get that.

For starters, I'd be absolutely stunned if he wanted to continue playing on Scotland beyond the summer.

And I totally get that.

You never know. He is wealthy beyond belief. Defoe came up here caught the bug and took a 90% pay cut. Granted he was 37 and at the end of his career, Rambo is 31 and has years left. I'm just delighted he's here seriously this is Gazza euphoria for me (not that I've given it away eh) if he stays beyond May I'll be beside myself.

Don’t think there’s a chance, he could attract a huge signing on fee and a six figure weekly wage in the Premiership.

We can’t compete with that.

Thinking far to far ahead op. But there is nothing so far to suggest loads of epl teams will be desperate to sign him. He is clearly well short of fitness, hence why he is here and not in a top league.

Anyone else starting to think signing him longer term might be on the horizon? Certainly the more we bed him in slowly the more it looks like we have one eye on the post split games and one eye on next season.

At the beginning I assumed wage demands would rule us out of a longer term deal but also the player would want to move back down south and was just using us to get fit for Wales. Since he signed I just have this nagging feeling that he wants to be a big fish in a small pond and win trophies. Based on nothing other than the odd interview clip here and there I have this feeling he isn’t motivated by money now and is after a different challenge.

Anyone else getting that feeling too?

We can’t burn money

You never know. He is wealthy beyond belief. Defoe came up here caught the bug and took a 90% pay cut. Granted he was 37 and at the end of his career, Rambo is 31 and has years left. I'm just delighted he's here seriously this is Gazza euphoria for me (not that I've given it away eh) if he stays beyond May I'll be beside myself.
Oh, I completely understand what you are saying mate. And that may very well be the case.

I agree that the money side of things may not be as much a priority as many would assume.

However I just feel that once he gets a taste of Scottish football and the pishy wee grounds we play at etc, he will look on at the EPL and fancy going back to the big time there.

Oh, I completely understand what you are saying mate. And that may very well be the case.

I agree that the money side of things may not be as much a priority as many would assume.

However I just feel that once he gets a taste of Scottish football and the pishy wee grounds we play at etc, he will look on at the EPL and fancy going back to the big time there.

Tbh I agree but I don't want the honeymoon period to end haha. I still can't believe he's here!

Trying not to be pessimistic but we can all envisage how Ramsey, Sands and Diallo loans are going to pan out. Unless things change quickly for us in the table

Sure his agent has liked a few things on Twitter insinuating he could be here longer than this season. Hopefully.

Alot needs to happen

We need to win the league and Ramsey will need to make am impact

If that happens I think there's a chance, he could have quite easily gone to Prem clubs this month. He's here for a reason

I’ve thought this is a distinct possibility since we signed him.

I didn’t but there was something he said in an interview that made me think he might well be here for next season too.

Can’t remember but might’ve been the way he was talking in plurals about winning things and playing in Europe ..was as if it wouldn’t all be possible this season so he must be seeing himself here next year..

My head though says if he gets fit he’s walking straight back to the EPL Money Extravaganza.

I think we would need a lot of planets to align for this to happen. In no particular order,

1) win the league
2) CL football next season (which comes from point 1)
3) Juve are willing to pay him off or pay his wages again for a full season
4) A top 8 EPL side doesn't come in for him
5) He enjoys his football here
6) Family commitments. Are they still in Turin or are they with him in Glasgow? Maybe they've moved back to London or Cardiff and he commutes up and down. Would he be willing to do all that travel for another year?
7) His pedigree is impeccable but he has to show it in a Rangers jersey to earn it a longer deal.

If you'd asked me a few years ago if we would have Jermain Defoe here for 3 years, I would have thought you were daft so you never know.
point 3 I don't think is happening as I am sure the Italian reporter on H&H said that Juve wanted him gone this season.
The reason being he has a clause in his contract that if he is still with them, then another year gets added which is another £14 million in wages.

High wage or not, Juve will demand and will get and 8 figure sum as a transfer fee that we can't match. Non starter

I don’t believe they will, the reason he is allowed out on loan to us and the reason they’re paying the vast majority of his wage is that him coming here prevents a clause in his contract which triggers another year on top of the one he has left, which they were evidently desperate to prevent happening, they will likely be happy for someone to buy out the remainder of his contract.

I know he’s a class player and I’m still in disbelief that he’s here, but if we win the league, do we really want to spend a large chunk of our budget on an injury-prone 31 year old?

I’d personally rather we would use our CL profile and wealth on exciting young talent that we previously wouldn’t have been able to draw to this backwater, future assets that will secure our finances for years to come

Never watched Wales then a tiny nation full of let's be fair Championship and lower EPL players he has carried the last year or 2

People keep saying ‘no chance’ etc etc, yet Fabrizio Romano has already said that despite there being no obligation to buy, Rangers are best placed to sign him. Put it this way if we win the league and he plays a big part in the run in I wont be at all shocked if he’s here next season.

I know he’s a class player and I’m still in disbelief that he’s here, but if we win the league, do we really want to spend a large chunk of our budget on an injury-prone 31 year old?

I’d personally rather we would use our CL profile and wealth on exciting young talent that we previously wouldn’t have been able to draw to this backwater, future assets that will secure our finances for years to come

Yes

Reactions: VGM
I think it’s a decent possibility too. He’s supposedly been making £200kpw after tax, so he won’t be needing money. Maybe he’s looking for something different while still getting a buzz playing for a huge club in the CL. None of us know his character or what motivates him now. Maybe after seeing Defoe and Gerrard loving every minute of being here, he fancies that. (Don’t bother with crying because Gerrard left, he loved it and got a huge buzz while he was here).

Hees on wages we can't afford there is no chance hees signing for us n the long term
He’s made 80m at Juve. I don’t think his next move will be solely motivated by money, I think he wants to be at a team where he’s gonna be the main man and play all the time, not saying that will be us though.

Don't think wages will be an issue as he has made his money. If he recaptures his form I could see him staying longer term.
He has made his money!
Don’t you understand footballers. Their egos are of the scale. They want to get the maximum cash possible from every club at every opportunity.
He won’t be accepting any contract we may put in front of him.
It’s a job and that’s what fans don’t get.

If he is on £115k per week just now but he probably isn't going to get near that in his next club.

What's the most we would go to? £35-40k? He could definitely get more in England, maybe double max(?) but I don't think he would be too sought after being over 30 with his injury history.

Ramsey wants his €7m a year contract paid out by Juventus and they would want a large amount of that paid by the club taking him.

So he would get €7m upfront and whatever salary we would give him.

Could happen but I doubt it.

We can’t burn money

I’m an accountant mate I think I appreciate more than most.

My point is we apparently have an option to buy at £5.5m. If that’s true the replies saying juventus will want top dollar for him are wrong, they want £5.5m and him off their wage bill. It begs the question why would we include that in the negotiations. Have we already discussed staying past the summer with the player or are we going to attempt to flip him to a Newcastle or the likes for hefty cash?

Naturally we cannot compete with the wages he would be offered elsewhere. That said the reported £400k a week wage is not actually correct - it’s widely reported in Italy he’s on €7m a year (still miles out of our bracket obviously). But my original point is simply he has made a fortune and like many others before him he may not be driven by money so could we actually attempt to make a permanent offer? I do agree with other posters who say it will take a number of things to happen before it would be a possibility - but it’s a nagging feeling I have had since he signed.

Anyone else starting to think signing him longer term might be on the horizon? Certainly the more we bed him in slowly the more it looks like we have one eye on the post split games and one eye on next season.

At the beginning I assumed wage demands would rule us out of a longer term deal but also the player would want to move back down south and was just using us to get fit for Wales. Since he signed I just have this nagging feeling that he wants to be a big fish in a small pond and win trophies. Based on nothing other than the odd interview clip here and there I have this feeling he isn’t motivated by money now and is after a different challenge.

Anyone else getting that feeling too?
I think if this was the case he’d just go back to Cardiff and try to help them out.

Back