Aaron Ramsey - Next Season

We could not afford to pay his wages, compared to middle table Premiership clubs.
Someone like Newcastle or a newly promoted team will give him 80k a week and 2 or 3 year deal

The key concern is weather we get any return on our loan deal investment.

He looks miles away from match fitness and nowhere near a first pick ahead of Arfield, Aribo, Kamara and dare I say, Lundstram.

At the risk of sounding like a 13 year old bird hes posted a lot online about the move, Ibrox etc already. Its obviously very early days but he seems to be enjoying it
Let us know when that baldy nonce Griffiths pm's you.

Don't think wages will be an issue as he has made his money. If he recaptures his form I could see him staying longer term.
It's easy for us as fans to say this, but he has zero affiliation to our club. He's just turned 31, so could almost certainly get a 3 year contract on well over double the wages we could afford, from likes of an Everton or a Newcastle. That's millions over the course of the contract. Think we'd be naive to think anyone, without Rangers in their blood, is turning their back on that.

If we qualify for the Champions League then I reckon we'll be able to sign him longer term. May end up another loan for the remainder of his Juve contract. I think the 400k is inclusive of appearance/win bonuses etc so the basic is probably less than half of that, still well out of our price range of course, but say he's on around 120k (some reports said so) then us paying anything around 30k is a decent proportion of that in all fairness.

It's easy for us as fans to say this, but he has zero affiliation to our club. He's just turned 31, so could almost certainly get a 3 year contract on well over double the wages we could afford, from likes of an Everton or a Newcastle. That's millions over the course of the contract. Think we'd be naive to think anyone, without Rangers in their blood, is turning their back on that.
Would he prefer a few seasons fighting relegation or in the CL and fighting for three trophies?

Here you with yer logic haha away! ;)

Anyone else starting to think signing him longer term might be on the horizon? Certainly the more we bed him in slowly the more it looks like we have one eye on the post split games and one eye on next season.

At the beginning I assumed wage demands would rule us out of a longer term deal but also the player would want to move back down south and was just using us to get fit for Wales. Since he signed I just have this nagging feeling that he wants to be a big fish in a small pond and win trophies. Based on nothing other than the odd interview clip here and there I have this feeling he isn’t motivated by money now and is after a different challenge.

Anyone else getting that feeling too?
He mentioned winning titles. You can’t win titles in one season. In his interview i thought he almost slipped up in saying he hopes to have many successful years here, but changed it to memories just in time :)

I didn’t but there was something he said in an interview that made me think he might well be here for next season too.

Can’t remember but might’ve been the way he was talking in plurals about winning things and playing in Europe ..was as if it wouldn’t all be possible this season so he must be seeing himself here next year..

My head though says if he gets fit he’s walking straight back to the EPL Money Extravaganza.
He apparently had plenty offers, im sure Burnley was mentioned. There is more to football than money for some players

He’s made 80m at Juve. I don’t think his next move will be solely motivated by money, I think he wants to be at a team where he’s gonna be the main man and play all the time, not saying that will be us though.
He won't take a massive drop in wages let's get real for a min . Hees getting fit.. hopefully do us a turn.. but the more games we play he has less time especially sitting on the bench..

We could not afford to pay his wages, compared to middle table Premiership clubs.
Someone like Newcastle or a newly promoted team will give him 80k a week and 2 or 3 year deal
He’ll never get on the ball in a team like that, constantly playing defensive football to try and shut teams out each week. He might love it here, get more of an attacking style of play. And there is the possibility of champions league football.

But it would seem very unlikely it could happen.

He apparently had plenty offers, im sure Burnley was mentioned. There is more to football than money for some players

We all know Rangers is a special place, the integrity everyone employed at the club is treated with from the ground up is second to none.

Players see that and buy into it. Remember Balogun’s interview on a podcast talking about the Sparta Prague incident and how the chairman was on the pitch etc…he really felt like holy crap this club really does have my/our back.

50,000 every other week, a presence in Europe and superb history …

We’ve a lot going for us…and anyone going to Burnley, Palace or Brighton this summer will experience a bit of a culture shock!!

* Hope Defoe does the business at Sunderland. I was at the Stadium of Light just before the first lockdown. Brilliant match day experience, what a crowd they get.

Last edited:
In a short while he’s going to make posts like this look really really daft.
Well that's great - I'm happy to look daft.

£2m is a good deal for Ramsey if he was to hit the ground running and help us win the league; it's awful if he misses half the games and remains only 80% fit.

Plenty of big names have come to Glasgow thinking it'd be a stroll and left with their tale between their legs.

He was absolutely outstanding for Wales earlier this season.

December 2020 he was the main man in the Nou Camp, playing as a 10 and absolutely rinsing De Jong, Pjanic and Messi inside out. He wasn't even his usual box to box mid performance, he just controlled the game from up front with Ronaldo.

But only two years later, he's supposedly going to struggle against the Harkes of this world.

As I said, if we get him anywhere near fitness he could even stroll it even. as a 6.

Why rule out the prospect of getting him on loan? If Juve can strike another deal with Rangers where we only pay a fraction of his wages, why not? Ramsey might not want to leave Juve for a final year on his current salary because he’s not getting those wages ever again.

He could well come back on loan IMO. Might be dependent on CL football mind.

Well that's great - I'm happy to look daft.

£2m is a good deal for Ramsey if he was to hit the ground running and help us win the league; it's awful if he misses half the games and remains only 80% fit.

Plenty of big names have come to Glasgow thinking it'd be a stroll and left with their tale between their legs.

I don’t think we paid £2 million for him, nothing like it, we’re paying a percentage of his wage and that’s it, Juventus let him go in order to stop a clause in his contract activating a years extension.

Does he really earn £350-£400k a week or has someone just plucked that figure out of thin air?

No-one has any idea what he earns but for talking sake let's say it's £150k. Even if he drops his wage to 1/4 of that, its probably almost at, or exceeded the ceiling of our wage structure. We then start off on the road to paying silly money again that we probably all agree we should never get in that position again.

Does he really earn £350-£400k a week or has someone just plucked that figure out of thin air?

No-one has any idea what he earns but for talking sake let's say it's £150k. Even if he drops his wage to 1/4 of that, its probably almost at, or exceeded the ceiling of our wage structure. We then start off on the road to paying silly money again that we probably all agree we should never get in that position again.

No, he earns €7 million per year, Juventus publish the details of player wages publicly.

Would he prefer a few seasons fighting relegation or in the CL and fighting for three trophies?
You could ask that of any player in the lower reaches of the Premiership. Fact is, for the vast majority, money talks. He also needs to weigh up visits to Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Chelsea etc etc week in week out, or if he wants to spend the twilight of his career visiting Ross Co, Motherwell and Livingston. I hope I'm wrong, but the suggestion he'll be willing to sacrifice millions to play for us is, I think, probably naive.

Focus for him and rangers is getting him match fit, sharp and into the team. I wouldn't even be thinking of next season right now.

He has said himself that he’s here to get fit and play games. I think that’s where it ends too.

If he is a success, puts in a few match winning displays, etc then he’ll be aiming for a move back to the EPL or similar standard league.

If he doesn’t set the heather alight then that’s about the only scenario where I can see him staying.

No chance.

Hes here because it's his best bet of guaranteed football before the World Cup.

At the end of the season he'll have offers from down south willing to pay him double or treble what we can offer.
The WC is in December, if Wales qualify, he'll stay till at least January in my opinion.

Not a chance. I figure he’s using us to alert English sides to his availability. We simply couldn’t come close to matching their wage offer

No, he earns €7 million per year, Juventus publish the details of player wages publicly.

Crazy stuf.

No doubt a great player but is he world class?

I mean objectively, I’m not poo pooing our great advantage having him.

Anyone else starting to think signing him longer term might be on the horizon? Certainly the more we bed him in slowly the more it looks like we have one eye on the post split games and one eye on next season.

At the beginning I assumed wage demands would rule us out of a longer term deal but also the player would want to move back down south and was just using us to get fit for Wales. Since he signed I just have this nagging feeling that he wants to be a big fish in a small pond and win trophies. Based on nothing other than the odd interview clip here and there I have this feeling he isn’t motivated by money now and is after a different challenge.

We are just a shop window for him.
Mind you, he better get himself fitter, otherwise he will miss that opportunity.

Crazy stuf.

No doubt a great player but is he world class?

I mean objectively, I’m not poo pooing our great advantage having him.

On his day yes he is. He could play for any team down south and he'd walk into the starting 11 bar Man City and Liverpool, he'd be on the bench there.

Seems obvious juve is basically giving him for free to get him match fit to sell in the summer. Not sure how much I like that, but I also won't be complaining if he helps us get the title and I believe he will

When we signed him I think people thought he'd be up to match fitness a lot quicker than its going to take and wondered how exactly we managed to sign him - something that'd becoming a lot more obvious now.

Don't see it, I want to see him get fit quickly and play like a world-class player for 10-12 games for us, %^*& Celtic up twice and bring home 56. That would be enough.

From the first couple of games he’s at the stage Davis was when he came in Jan when the 2nd half of the season wasn’t great then next season he got fitter and kicked on. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was here next year.

Edit: I don’t do the wages

I’d say you’re clutching. He simply isn’t fit enough yet to be starting matches, people looking for some kind of ulterior motive behind it or already declaring the signing as a waste of money are bonkers!

No chance.

Hes here because it's his best bet of guaranteed football before the World Cup.

At the end of the season he'll have offers from down south willing to pay him double or treble what we can offer.

Might come down to CL qualification and does he want to play there. As someone else mentioned he has made his money, he's been earning over 20 million a year. While he may get an offer from the EPL would it be a CL club?

His current wages are vastly inflated due to the fact he was a free transfer to Juve. He is never going to get anything like those wages again. I'm sure he could still earn more in England but whether we can afford him or he wants to take a cut to play for us longer term only time will tell.

We cant afford him and I doubt hed be interested.

My take is he looks at the Summer window as a better chance to land a big EPL club, understandably the likes of Burnley didnt appeal. He'll also be looking towards being in top fitness and form for the WC.

All good and well but unless he actually starts playing and playing sharpish Im not sure those wider options will open up to the extent hed like.

A massive, IF, he can get playing and he helps us to a spectacular grab of the title I can see the likes of Everton, Villa, Leeds coming in for him which would all likely appeal.

No chance.

Juve won't continue paying his wages and he'll command a premiership wage at least four times what we could pay him.

This is a mutual thing - we get the benefit of an elite midfielder for 6 months and he shows richer clubs he's still got it.

No chance.

Juve won't continue paying his wages and he'll command a premiership wage at least four times what we could pay him.

This is a mutual thing - we get the benefit of an elite midfielder for 6 months and he shows richer clubs he's still got it.
It remains to be seen if we get the benefit of an elite midfielder.

He can't get in the team at the moment.

I’d imagine he’s after champions league football so if we can negotiate his release from Juve then I can see a 50k p/w 1 year deal happening unless one of the top 4 come in for him down south.

If we make the CL then why at his age would you choose something like Newcastle?

Lots of ifs and buts in there though to make it happen.

Back