The Manager

He has to go. 12 point swing since he took over and before someone says Gerrard left us in the shit, he left us in a good place. His system doesn't work. When we get down the flanks there was no players in the box apart from roofe

Do you see an obvious plan? A shape, a style, a way of playing, that these young players would fit into?

I don’t see any of that. Even when Gerrard was struggling we could see what he was trying to do. With Gio…there’s nothing. It’s honestly like Ally in the lower leagues, hope our better players do something. Except in Europe where it is lock the door and hope the couple of stand-out players we have (Alfie, and Kent not being double-marked) do something special.

That’s really it for me… I just don’t see a plan.
Although it pains me to say it, he needs the chance to do a Fat Ange type rebuild.
We have got some players that will go for many millions this summer.
Fat Ange found talent in a market he knew for a lot less than you would have imagined.
Although they have spent a lot,we are perfectly capable of matching that spending.
I think Gio and Dave Vos will already have lined up good young Dutch/other targets in markets they know.
I’m pretty certain that is one of the reasons why the board would have brought in Vos.
However, we’re back to the same problem as last season in that we will not know if we are going to have UCL money until after the qualifiers have been completed.
Therefore, the most talented potential new recruits are unlikely to sign if they’re looking to play on the UCL stage.
We know that at least we will have European football as we will automatically enter either Europe league or the conference at the group stages if we get knocked out of the UCL qualifiers,
The problem is they get 40 million to strengthen their already deceht squad.
They will probably be able to afford to buy Cameron Carter-Vickers and Jota rather than just being loans.
I expect the good use from our perspective is that spurs and Benfica may want those players back as they seem to be playing so well….

are the players the shitbags or his defensive shit tactics

we will sell a few players but we need heavy investment in the playing squad

Shitebags! Last season was an exception than reality for this squad. They were just as bad in the league under Gerrard bar one year and the rot was already shown before he jumped to Villa.

If it wasn’t for Tav and Alfie I dread to think where this team would be!

Wins the Europa or he is done.

14 points dropped since Xmas. Pish.

Heard all about his passive, negative tactics before he even joined. Nowhere near good enough for us.

It’s almost like we looked at the Tim’s implosion last season and thought ‘I’ll have a piece of that’. Inexcusable performances from the boardroom to the playing staff. Gio has simply not got what it takes to manage a team like Rangers as has been evidenced since he took control.
we laughed at them for standing still

the board have stood still for 3 transfer windows after winning 55 its a major letdown to say the least

I am not convinced he is going to be a success with us but difficult to come in half way through the season and be successful with a group of players who aren't your own. We won't get rid of him regardless of how the rest of the season pans out. He will get the summer transfer window and at least the first 10 games of next season but will be ofski if we are well behind the tims in the league.

Some of our players are not good enough, some appear to lack the appetite to roll their sleeves up when we are struggling to break teams down. Only player who got pass marks today was kent. Our inability to move the ball quickly and penetrate packed defenses is our biggest weakness. We were solid last year when the tims were on the decline. They have improved big time and spent a decent amount of cash and we have stood still.

Very easy to blame Gio but not that simple in my opinion.

You being serious mate?

Tell me another manager that guided their team through an invincible season with only 114 games prior to that as a pro? Factor in the great European runs every year and that Gerrard inherited a squad with the likes of Jason Holt, Eduardo Herrara, Myles Beerman, Jason Dodoo and more and had no money to spend when he got here.

Coming into the job, Gio had more experience than Gerrard, a better squad than Gerrard, a 6 point lead in the league with European football and Gerrard faced a superior Celtic side to the one we are facing now.

Gerrard is and was the better manager, at least for us.
Gerrard was up against it,3 years in the making.gerrard put the building blocks down,We passed away our lead,plus timmy skulduggery in Jan with winter shutdown,the buck lies with the board and geo who is hasomley paid.

PP
Bouncing between managers never works. There isn't one person just waiting to be found who will solve all of our problems.

Start of January we were all in on Gio and dying to play them. Let's give the guy time to build something that is his and not the left overs from Gerrard. Some calm heads needed here, folk calling to sack a guy four months in is embarrassing.
Sorry but it's his tactics I've seen from him so far that wants him gone. Don't trust him to take us on.

we knew this team didnt have it in them to turn it around , celtic looked like a walter smith mentally tough team
I know what you’re saying but the compliment you’re giving is too far. Ultimately we are very easy to play against and they’ve found our weaknesses and exploited them. We have a soft belly and don’t break up the game enough, particularly break away and counter attack surging runs. The number of fouls they committed in our own half to stop us was by design, doubling up down our left was by design, balls into the box and being alert for knockdowns and our schoolboy defending is by design. Running themselves into the ground in a high press and then still competing on empty and breaking the game up, making 5 subs, gamesmanship and time wasting, feigning injuries. It all works and it worked against us twice but it’s not how Walter had their number

Probably unfair to pile on while raw.

But incredibly incredibly frustrating to watch us look lost and unable to get people in the positions where they do damage.

And incredibly frustrating to watch Scott Arfield asked to do the Steven Davis role, badly. While Davis is sat watching.

That meek surrendering to 5 subs for hamstring fc and match fixing sure worked out well for us.

If he loses the next 2 OF and we have a poor end to season against the others, he's going to be under enormous pressure before next season even starts.

A 12 point swing and 2 defeats to those bastards is nothing but miserable failure. However weakness runs through the club from top to bottom so he'll probably get until this time next season when we're double figures behind in the league.

At the time he was the only decent affordable option when Gerrard fucked off. I had my reservations about him, lack of a hard edge for starters to get players giving us an extra 10%. As I’ve said on another thread if we are beaten in the the cup by them then he should be bagged but he won’t, especially if we‘re still in Europe. Gives us time to look at another option and get them in early to rebuild, I hope he proves me wrong but I just can’t see it.

Shitebags! Last season was an exception than reality for this squad. They were just as bad in the league under Gerrard bar one year and the rot was already shown before he jumped to Villa.

If it wasn’t for Tav and Alfie I dread to think where this team would be!
i agree the squad needs investment and we were playing poor at the start of the season
i think that was more to do with gerrards transfer budget wearing off on the players

whats gio done to have faith in a rebuild

He has to go. 12 point swing since he took over and before someone says Gerrard left us in the shit, he left us in a good place. His system doesn't work. When we get down the flanks there was no players in the box apart from roofe
Correct mate,Gerrard did leave us in a position on strength,geo did have riggle room and destroyed it.This also lies with the board and certain players.

Genuinely don't know if we have the finances to sack him, hire a new guy and then fund the rebuild.

Would I sack him now ? No.
Would I be upset if he was sacked ? No.
Do I trust him to deliver going forward ? No.
Haha, this cracked me up. how depressingly on point this assesment is

Genuinely don't know if we have the finances to sack him, hire a new guy and then fund the rebuild.

Would I sack him now ? No.
Would I be upset if he was sacked ? No.
Do I trust him to deliver going forward ? No.
If Park and Co don’t think he is the right man for the job then we can’t afford not to sack him. No point in throwing good money after bad. If I was a betting man my money would be on us not having the balls to sack him in the summer but for us to be screwed in the league next season before the World Cup break. I just don’t see anything which makes me feel good about GVB. Not the formation. Not the team selections. Not the tactics. Not the in game changes. Not the tempo. I just don’t see it with GVB I’m afraid. I would bite the bullet and bin him.

Very clearly doesn't suit the way we need to play or the players we have.

Very clearly isn't a good judge of a player by his bizarre management of some players like McGregor and Lundstram.

Will set us back years if we give the wrong guy a rebuild.

At the time he was the only decent affordable option when Gerrard fucked off. I had my reservations about him, lack of a hard edge for starters to get players giving us an extra 10%. As I’ve said on another thread if we are beaten in the the cup by them then he should be bagged but he won’t, especially if we‘re still in Europe. Gives us time to look at another option and get them in early to rebuild, I hope he proves me wrong but I just can’t see it.
he was free and we got decent comp for gerrard leaving

theres no excuses it was a cheap easy option from the board because the fans wanted him

iv said it before but theres a reason advocaat was brought in to mentor him at feyenoord

i agree the squad needs investment and we were playing poor at the start of the season
i think that was more to do with gerrards transfer budget wearing off on the players

whats gio done to have faith in a rebuild
Our European exploits have given them 40 mill for being an embarrassment in Europe.

Do people feel comfortable giving him the summer transfer window? I genuinely have no clue what his approach is.
If we're being honest, many of us haven't been confident since January. I really don't want to bag him, and hope it doesn't come to it, but we will have to if the season goes the way I expect it to. Fail to win the Cup and he has to go.

Seems pretty unanimous.

2018 we gave Pedro the summer despite all the evidence to the contrary and look what happened there.

He’s been away from Scotland too long and has forgotten what it takes to win here… ie knowing when it needs some players that can leave the foot in and also that the game is 100mph here. Our performances in Europe show where his strengths lie.

If we win the Scottish cup and make it to the Europa semi or final then I think he will have deserved the summer window to sort it out and try to kick in. Less than that he should be toast.

Sadly I think finances will dictate he’ll be here for the start of next season irrespective of results.

he was free and we got decent comp for gerrard leaving

theres no excuses it was a cheap easy option from the board because the fans wanted him

iv said it before but theres a reason advocaat was brought in to mentor him at feyenoord
Agreed,most fans did except geo as a legend player and his feyornod exploits.it was a crowd pleaser,easy option.we need heavy investment,in a GOOD MANAGER,and decent scouting system.

I don't trust him going forward but can we actually afford to get rid of him on top of a squad rebuild ?

Probably not. Today's result, as pish as it is, shouldn't mean the season is over. The number of games we've conceded at the end to drop points is unforgivable though. Far too many of them.

That’s usually what happens when chasing a goal, cb become cf and so on there’s no shape to chasing a goal ffs, you know how we finished the game
I do - as a shambles. That’s fine for the last five minutes. It wasn’t for the last five minutes. It was from the subs.

Probably not. Today's result, as pish as it is, shouldn't mean the season is over. The number of games we've conceded at the end to drop points is unforgivable though. Far too many of them.
the title is over thats all that matters fuik europa league

we have did the hard work to get automatic entry to the champs league and gave them crash barriers it

someone has explaining to do

Very clearly doesn't suit the way we need to play or the players we have.

Very clearly isn't a good judge of a player by his bizarre management of some players like McGregor and Lundstram.

Will set us back years if we give the wrong guy a rebuild.
Lundstram has been our best player since January.

What would the manager have done differently today. No one argued very much with his team. the problem is the lack of a goal presence outside of Alfredo. The recruitment has been terrible. Bottom line is we have lots of skilled players who don't have enough end product

lets see what his plans for the summer are. to me the problem is the players

What would the manager have done differently today. No one argued very much with his team. the problem is the lack of a goal presence outside of Alfredo. The recruitment has been terrible. Bottom line is we have lots of skilled players who don't have enough end product

lets see what his plans for the summer are. to me the problem is the players
aribo shouldnt have started

the constant back passes and side ways is his tactics ( read the dutch experts on his style )

tav was hardly over the halfway line too

Regardless of what we all feel right now, there is probably a decent chance that it’ll become so apparent that change is needed that it’ll sort itself out. My guess is that we’ll end up losing the cup semi, lose the league game at Parkhead and lose the league by 10+ points. That may sound doom and gloom but it’s the most likely scenario I see going forward. And if something akin to that happens then there just isn’t any way he can survive. None.

Back