The Manager

The board wont sack him they will stumble along and endure another failure and another leage gone next season.

Lose at Hampden and he should be offering his resignation
Agree. Not a fucking chance this board gets rid, largely because it costs money which they seemingly have none of, and also because they wouldn't know where to begin in signing a replacement.

I said at the time there never was a shortlist of candidates and I stand by it. We went all in for one and fucked it.

Agree with the first part.

Gerrard probably had more clout with the players and they wouldn't have dared to put in the performances they have since. I wonder as well if he would have forced more changes out of the board in January. The players at Villa have been given a public shape-up or ship-out message.
Some players were chucking in questionable performances and dropped points prior to Gerrard leaving. I think it’s more the group of players rather than either manager.

As for the last part, I’d love for GVB to come out with similar but it just doesn’t seem his nature

The fear for me is we head down the same road as we did with Pedro.

Give him a big summer rebuild and then bin him three months later.

If the board have any doubts, any whatsoever, they need to bin him pronto before it gets worse.
Pedro was even more stark. We knew what he was trying to build and it looking fucking nightmarish from the start. And we doubled down.

With Gio, as I said earlier in the thread, I don’t know what he’s trying to do. There is absolutely no cohesiveness between the players or obvious attempt at a plan. Just a collection of individuals running about at a relatively low tempo and playing too many predicable, aimless passes. There is no purpose that isn’t being achieved or no penny we can see waiting to drop, which is how it felt at least with Gerrard.

If the board have any doubts, any whatsoever, they need to bin him pronto before it gets worse.

Agreed.

By the time pedro left in october the league was pretty much gone.

Pedro was even more stark. We knew what he was trying to build and it looking fucking nightmarish from the start. And we doubled down.

With Gio, as I said earlier in the thread, I don’t know what he’s trying to do. There is absolutely no cohesiveness between the players or obvious attempt at a plan. Just a collection of individuals running about at a relatively low tempo and playing too many predicable, aimless passes. There is no purpose that isn’t being achieved or no penny we can see waiting to drop, which is how it felt at least with Gerrard.

I like Gio, I think he's a decent man and I don't think he's a dud by any means. You don't win a title with Feyenoord if you're a shit manager but he's a clear downgrade on Gerrard.

But I don't have the same feeling with him as I did with Gerrard. Gerrard had the clout, the authority, the gravitas for the job that he lacks.

I'd hate to see it go toxic for Gio because he doesn't deserve that. But right now I don't see him as long term successful Rangers manager.

Do people feel comfortable giving him the summer transfer window? I genuinely have no clue what his approach is.
I hope we're not seeing the start of flanges Celtic getting the better of Gios Rangers....I know that can happen at times, a manager can just have the beating of the other.

For me I'm concerned, extremely concerned.

Go out to Braga and Celtic in the cups and its a must be sacked job.

At minimum of a semi final Europa and SC victory with beating them at the piggery and then I'll be happier.

Taking off Ramsey ahead of Aribo today.

Just wow.
Yep that was some decision I don't know what he was seeing in Aribo that nobody else was but it's worrying that he even started him given his terrible display for his country mid week and the fact he has been terrible for us for a long while,extremely worrying,I think they will give him another season but I'm not sure about him at all.

This inconsistent run of for will ultimately give the directors a big decision to make in the summer. if results & performances don’t improve from now the calls for his head will increase dramatically as he has zero wiggle room after today. The semi in a few weeks will make or break him. I hope he turns it around but i’m not confident.

I feel it’s an unpopular view but I don’t think the manager is the problem.

I think the players have littered their season with costly individual mistakes that have seen us drop points and now we are where we are.

Lack of hunger in players isn’t something a manager can create.

Sorry to say it after what they've done for the club but the problem is the board now they are out of ideas and money.

When your nearest rivals strengthen in every window and you stand still results like today are inevitable.

We lost Gerrard cause the board downed tools now we've given them a £30m head start going into next season I honestly fear for the years to come if we don't get outside investors now.
And the Board’s reluctance to back the manager with significant funds for a proper pop at the Champions League qualifier has now bitten us on the arse domestically as well as speeding up Gerrard’s inevitable departure.

Our Board have been getting an easy ride for a long time - they need to take responsibility for a lot of the instability around the club this season between a manager leaving, the sideshow of Sydney and the ongoing tension with C1872 & King.

I’d bin in the summer in all honesty and tbh I think he will walk regardless anyway.

Ross Wilson should also be out on his arse

Laying the blame solely at Gio’s feet here is massively short sighted. Gerrard had us 4 clear but he had us 4 clear at a point when they were shipping points left right and centre. Gio has dropped points whilst they’ve been grinding out win after win.

The problem is the players. Need an overhaul in the summer.
I don’t think you’ll get an argument from anyone that the squad needs an overhaul. And that is surely coming irrespective of who the manager is. But the point is, do we have faith in GVB being the man to be in charge for the overhaul? I don’t. I get the fact that ideally you would probably want someone who has seen and worked with the players for a good chunk of the season to assess what is needed and make the changes - but you only want that if you have seen enough to be confident that you have the right man in charge. I just don’t see much, if anything, to make me confident that GVB is the right man for the job. I would take our chances and change the manager as well as overhaul the squad. And if we lose the cup semi final and the league game at Parkhead then I just don’t see how GVB survives, regardless of Europe.

I don’t think you’ll get an argument from anyone that the squad needs an overhaul. And that is surely coming irrespective of who the manager is. But the point is, do we have faith in GVB being the man to be in charge for the overhaul? I don’t. I get the fact that ideally you would probably want someone who has seen and worked with the players for a good chunk of the season to assess what is needed and make the changes - but you only want that if you have seen enough to be confident that you have the right man in charge. I just don’t see much, if anything, to make me confident that GVB is the right man for the job. I would take our chances and change the manager as well as overhaul the squad. And if we lose the cup semi final and the league game at Parkhead then I just don’t see how GVB survives, regardless of Europe.

Everything you have just said was said about Gerrard btw by many on here.

It’s a case of when, not if, he is sacked. I can understand why some want to give him a summer to get his “own players”, and that would be true normally. But he has a squad of talented players at his disposal right now and he is getting the absolute minimum out of them. No identifiable style of play or tactical plan either.

Do people feel comfortable giving him the summer transfer window? I genuinely have no clue what his approach is.
Win the cup and beat Braga as a minimum or must go tbh.
Needs to replace the goalie, goldson, Arfield, helander, Davis, sakala.
I say helander and Davis cause clearly not in his plans

I suppose the one thing to hang onto is the players chucked it before he got here. It's not his team, sell them all and start again, that team does not have the mental strength for a title fight.

That being said, his subs today absolutely baffled me.
They weren’t that baffling though were they? . Sakala for a bit of pace and Arfield to try and get an extra body in to the box.

Aribo off instead of Ramsay maybes . But debatable

I’d give Gio next season- then there may be a decision to be made

And the Board’s reluctance to back the manager with significant funds for a proper pop at the Champions League qualifier has now bitten us on the arse domestically as well as speeding up Gerrard’s inevitable departure.

Our Board have been getting an easy ride for a long time - they need to take responsibility for a lot of the instability around the club this season between a manager leaving, the sideshow of Sydney and the ongoing tension with C1872 & King.

The board backed Gerrard to the hilt. Almost to a fault.

They knocked back £28m worth of fees because the manager didn't want players sold.

Anyone who thinks it's a coincidence we made a sale as soon as he was out the door wasn't paying attention.

He’s not going to do I’m afraid. I don’t know what his tactics are or what the game plan is? When he came in we spaced out and utilised the wings and it breathed air into the team but since the break it’s been nothing short of a distaster (excluding Europe).

There can only be doubts! What has he done that have made the board happy they chose him?

We can bang on about the Europe League all day but it means nothing, we arent going to win the competition and its a nice to have.

The buck stops with the manager, how can you motivate your team to beat Dortmund over two legs but cant get the same side to defend a 2-0 win at home to a Motherwell side with 1 win in 12?

The board backed Gerrard to the hilt. Almost to a fault.

They knocked back £28m worth of fees because the manager didn't want players sold.

Anyone who thinks it's a coincidence we made a sale as soon as he was out the door wasn't paying attention.
Something happened between Gerrard and his boss(es) between mid-May and the end of July though because he went from being completely engaged to looking like he wanted out within less than 10 weeks.

Our transfers in were limited and at best took a long time to settle.

Everything you have just said was said about Gerrard btw by many on here.
Some did. But a good number of us saw the continued progress under Gerrard. There was impatience but the reality was that we were miles behind Celtic and it was never particularly realistic to do it in season 1 or 2 under Gerrard. Even doing it in season 3 was a bit of a miracle. By contrast, GVB was dealt a great hand and has done nothing with it other than have us regress.

Something happened between Gerrard and his boss(es) between mid-May and the end of July though because he went from being completely engaged to looking like he wanted out within less than 10 weeks.

Our transfers in were limited and at best took a long time to settle.

No arguments on that score from me. The question is what was it and why couldn't it be resolved ?

This board are at fault for many things. Not backing Gerrard isn't one of them.

He needs his own players?? How much will that cost. I’ve seen enough of this team shitting the bed. :mad:
Today was unreal. Fire start and back into our shell and failed. Old movie seen umpteen times.
He has to go. OUT.

Some did. But a good number of us saw the continued progress under Gerrard. There was impatience but the reality was that we were miles behind Celtic and it was never particularly realistic to do it in season 1 or 2 under Gerrard. Even doing it in season 3 was a bit of a miracle. By contrast, GVB was dealt a great hand and has done nothing with it other than have us regress.

Done nothing? NOTHING?!

I must have slept walk through those European games recently then!

Totally take your point that another two defeats to them(or even one if we don’t unthinkably win the league) and it’s difficult to make a case for Gio.

For me at this point, I think the fat he has shown himself to be far more adaptable than Gerrard was and some of our performances in Europe have been outstanding. I like the brand of football that he is trying to implement and I think we are a few players short of suiting the way Gio wants us to play. We aren’t anywhere near ruthless enough and I’ve never seen a team so desperate to shoot themselves in the foot as we were today but we’ve seen this from this group of players before Gio took charge.

Can appreciate that the jury is out but I don’t think the manager’s job should be in question at this point. That will quickly change if we stumble to the end of the season from here though.

No arguments on that score from me. The question is what was it and why couldn't it be resolved ?

This board are at fault for many things. Not backing Gerrard isn't one of them.
It’s a mystery so far at any rate, it’ll come out in time though.

I saw Gerrard’s face in the press conference ahead of the Livingston game and could see he would be off - he looked utterly hacked off with it all.

I appreciate there would be family pressure to be closer to home but that was always there and outweighed by the challenge.

Our transfer business was poor overall though - our team wasn’t really improved at all and days like today are a consequence.

Any fan would have picked the same team gio did, its not his fault we throw away a lead with fuckin shocking defending, roofe cant play a 10 yard pass. We need a clear out yes but of the shitebags that have given us 1 trophy in 4 years. im actually lookin forward to the summer.

I like Gio, I think he's a decent man and I don't think he's a dud by any means. You don't win a title with Feyenoord if you're a shit manager but he's a clear downgrade on Gerrard.

But I don't have the same feeling with him as I did with Gerrard. Gerrard had the clout, the authority, the gravitas for the job that he lacks.

I'd hate to see it go toxic for Gio because he doesn't deserve that. But right now I don't see him as long term successful Rangers manager.
Bang on the money

The “ffs SG walked away” mob will disagree but we’ve downgraded massively with Gio and his team. The team SG had cannot be overlooked, the management and development of a modern day first team is about the management unit with a strong figurehead……we’ve been lumbered with neither a good backroom or figurehead

It’s a mystery so far at any rate, it’ll come out in time though.

I saw Gerrard’s face in the press conference ahead of the Livingston game and could see he would be off - he looked utterly hacked off with it all.

I appreciate there would be family pressure to be closer to home but that was always there and outweighed by the challenge.

Our transfer business was poor overall though - our team wasn’t really improved at all and days like today are a consequence.

I said back in September that I felt Gerrard was for the off at the end of the season.

I still wish he was. But he'd be leaving with another title in the bag. That much is clear.

For me it’s do I trust Ross wilson getting another window?so far no new deals for players entering their last year and in the last 4 windows no players who instantly improve the first team (arguably lundstram)

How long is his contract for?

Unless it’s out of contract this summer, you need to put your energy into something else. Gio isn’t being paid up this summer on top of everything else.

Any fan would have picked the same team gio did, its not his fault we throw away a lead with fuckin shocking defending, roofe cant play a 10 yard pass. We need a clear out yes but of the shitebags that have given us 1 trophy in 4 years. im actually lookin forward to the summer.
Picking the players and getting them to play for you, tactics, (including subs btw) are very different from purely picking a team.

Our management staff right now isn’t a good fit domestically, it’s abundantly clear and once the embers of the season burn out the only way to kick on is to replace them

If things go badly over the next few weeks I can't see that easy ride containing much longer to be honest.

Potentially watching the yahoos lift a 5th treble under their watch is unacceptable even under the pretty unique set of circumstances they took over from.

To put things into perspective the yahoos had only won 3 domestic trebles in the previous 100 years.

We are constantly going from one legal battle to the next under this board and the farce with this ridiculous friendly and the statement they made hasn't helped the situation one bit.

Only so much good will can go round before serous questions need to be asked.

Yes this squad stopped 10 but you’ve got to look at what we have. This team are not consistent enough to use & build a stronger squad. Most play 1 good game then they have 2 poor ones. It’s nowhere near good enough for a Rangers team.

The entire squad needs a revamp & needs GVB’s stamp on it. Remember no team let’s their best players leave in Jan so it was slim pickings for him. I think he knows this team are Gerrards & not very good in terms of consistency throughout a season. This team shat it 3 out of 4 seasons after Jan. He’ll get his own players in & then be judged.

Didn't want him, was roundly shouted down by folk on here for whom 'knowing what it's all about' is more important than an actual managerial pedigree.

Usual pish from folk who laughed at them for getting the Australian who they hadn't heard of. Trouble is, his record shows he's a decent coach.
I honestly wonder if we just took the lazy option.

We really need to look at a coach with a track record of building good sides from little resources and is able to build from the back and get the basics right.

We also need to sign four or 5 determined characters fir the squad or it won't matter who the manager is.

Back