Who is your English team and why?

Bolton Wanderers
Lived all over North and Midlands since moving down in mid 80,s
Used to go to the occasional Sheffield Wednesday game when they had a good spell under Wilkinson. Then moved over the Pennines and went to Bolton fairly regular both at Burnden and Reebok. Great old club that struggle because of proximity to Manchester and Liverpool. Used to love big Sams teams stick it right up the big clubs.

Go to Stoke now and again coz of my youngest but feck me that’s a chore

Sheffield Wednesday.

My Papa was from Sheffield & a big Wednesday fan.

He came upto Glasgow, caught the Rangers bug and took me to the games etc so I have him to thank for that.

The first friendly we had down at Hillsborough few years back was one of the best days of my life.. taking him down to his old stomping ground whilst following the Gers.

He passed away couple years ago so I cherish that day so much.

I don't have an English team because I'm not 7, other than a couple of Aberdeen fans I know who like Man U (Fergie link I assume) I don't know any adult who does.

Reading. Local team. Lived in the area for >35 years. Thought it would be remiss to not follow them. Only been to handful of games. Good safe place to take the kids, and they love it there so will go more often now.

Used to follow Chelsea as a kid - had mates who got me into them. Then 2012 happened and nothing really mattered outside of Rangers. Never bothered since.

Arsenal for me as my Dads English and that is his team. To this day I don’t understand why Christmas in 84/85 got a top with Nicholas on the back.

I don't have one. I tried to adopt one of the London teams when I moved there, and have seen Arsenal, West Ham and Palace multiple times. However, I can't work up any passion for any of them, and don't care what their results are. I think it's something you pick up as a kid, and it's not something you can take up in later life.

Was Forest when I was young because they were winning European Cups, Clough was a genius and most importantly they were amongst the first teams to have a silky Adidas replica strip (along with Ipswich & QPR).

In the last ten years, I’ve adopted Everton. Been down to see them a couple of times.
Was on ferry going to a Rangers euro away can't remember the game.
Forest fans on same ferry and Rangers fans starting singing "Forest Forest give us a song" ..
And they responded with Here lies a soldier!! :))

For some reason it's never had the publicity In the English media. Bradford and Hillsborough certainly have but Ibrox rarely.
After The Bradford Fire Disaster Scotland Today had a guest from Bradford City Council, think it might've been the Mayor in actual fact , an Asian guy. He said we can learn from 1971 'When the Ibrox stand fell down...' Jesus F#cking Christ...Was he that effing ignorant and blase about things not in his immediate area or recent memory that he couldn't even be bothered to learn about the nature of the accident that he was invited on the show to talk about, ffs? The journalist didn't even pull him up about it, for God's Sake....

When I was a wee in the early 80’s it was Liverpool because that’s where my Papa was after the war so he and my dad were reds but then I remember when we first got sky in the house it was when Wenger had just taken over Arsenal and I really enjoyed watching them play

Man Utd due to watching George Best in the early 70’s on Match of the Day.

Wednesday night extended highlights were brilliant as you didn’t know the score in those days.

On the BBC News before the Programme the presenter actually said “If you don’t want to know the score look away now”

Seems strange now but that’s what it was like before 24 Hour news/sports channels.

Best was amazing almost wining games on his own on some really poor playing surfaces as well.

But that was then and now I don’t watch BBC News at all and Man Utd are pish since Ferguson retired.

There are English teams I like watching a d would like to goto a game to see like Chelsea or Liverpool but don't support none of them. If they got beat it wouldn't ruin my full week like a bad result for rangers does to us all.

Chelsea probably a generation thing with the Bradford fire fundraisers, first time I seen such a large fan base with a similiar political view.

Us and them were pretty shit then so not about gloryhunting, plus my brother was in London then and used to travel up on the Chelsea busses.
I was there that night with my Luton/Rangers ski hat on. Chelsea had a notorious firm the Headhunters at the time and there was a bit of a fear there might be trouble pre match going to the game despite the good cause.............when they saw how many Bears were there at such short notice of the arranged game and the favourite tunes began to ring out, many of them were in actual awe of us............and so began the Blues Brothers connection between Chelsea and Rangers with Linfield added later on ..............outside in the streets post match, stunned police officers watched in disbelief as Chelsea fans not only sang 'We all agree, Chelsea and Rangers are magic' but came over and instead of looking to give away fans a shoe in - shook our hands!

Only weirdos have two clubs.

Chelsea pay child abuse victims hush money btw so anyone saying them has no right to have a go at celtic for their disgusting cover up imo.
We'll agree to disagree.

It's an argument I often have down here in Bedfordshire.

I don't class myself as a weirdo for having two loves. My home town club Luton and Scots family heritage ( late father and 3/4 Scots Grandparents) Rangers.

Personally see absolutely nothing wrong with liking two clubs from different countries and leagues.

Arsenal. Mainly because of Dennis Bergkamp.

Subsequently discovered that as a club they have many similar traditions to ours, which helped cement my fondness.

It is only a fondness though, I love to see Arsenal do well but it doesn't ruin my day if they lose!

Chelsea since the two Bradford fire games

And the subsequent mass sojouns down to see them in the mid to late 80s early 90s

Everton only because my grandson supports them but to be honest otherwise I couldn’t careless, but he said the atmosphere at the braga, game was sick when he was there , I think he’s turning

Everton only because my grandson supports them but to be honest otherwise I couldn’t careless, but he said the atmosphere at the braga, game was sick when he was there , I think he’s turning
I hope he's a Scouser, and his parents haven't let a Scots lad support a Premiership side....:cool:

Barnet are my favourite team, I started to go and see them when I first went to London in the late 80’s, it was during the time when Stan Flashman ( older bears?) was chairman and Barry Fry the manager.

It was mental, fans so closed to the pitch and the abuse handed out was memorable.

I saw loads of players in Underhill over the years including Gazza who had actually bought us a drink before the game.

I stopped going to see them as much when I bought a house in Kingsbury only to find that Barnet will be playing at their new stadium the Hive which was a ten minute walk from my house, I liked to leave early though and have a couple of drinks at the pubs along my walk

I now live in Northampton and although it’s been almost 5 I haven’t been to see the cobbler’s yet

Luton Town, from the glory days of the 80s and no f***er knows why. I did go through a pretty miserable period when they were relegated repeatedly and deducted points just before the same thing happened to us. Had to close my lucky white heather business back then.
On our way back now mind...........9 years ago we were losing in the 5th tier Conference league 5-1 to Gateshead and 2-1 at home to HYDE.............now Luton are two games away from the Play Offs and a chance to get in the Greed is Good Premiership with it's £ms of riches.......we Hatters all know if the miracle happens we would lose most games and come straight back down, but the money and obscene parachute payments that relegated clubs get rewarded for failure..........will go a long way to help finance our new impending town centre stadium.

Yesterday v Blackpool was my 1,250th Luton game seen at Kenilworth Road. 1,924th in total since 1966.

Being of Scots family roots I LOVE Rangers too and have booked flights for the Cup Final v Hearts and Europa Cup Final in Spain.

Liverpool are my English team. My old pal was celtic & Man Utd so it made sense back when. Redknapp, fowler, Owen, didi Hamman & stevie g were the early favs. Nothing comes close to rangers tho

Barnet are my favourite team, I started to go and see them when I first went to London in the late 80’s, it was during the time when Stan Flashman ( older bears?) was chairman and Barry Fry the manager.

It was mental, fans so closed to the pitch and the abuse handed out was memorable.

I saw loads of players in Underhill over the years including Gazza who had actually bought us a drink before the game.

I stopped going to see them as much when I bought a house in Kingsbury only to find that Barnet will be playing at their new stadium the Hive.

I now live in Northampton and although it’s been almost 5 I haven’t been to see the cobbler’s yet
Am with you ma man, or lady!!
I have stayed down here for a number of years, very close to White Hart Lane, the road not the ground, and whenever my dad used to come down to see me and they played at home, we went to see Barnet at Underhill, we also went once to the new place at Edgware but it's more of a trek, it was their first game at the new ground against Famagusta

On our way back now mind...........9 years ago we were losing in the 5th tier Conference league 5-1 to Gateshead and 2-1 at home to HYDE.............now Luton are two games away from the Play Offs and a chance to get in the Greed is Good Premiership with it's £ms of riches.......we Hatters all know if the miracle happens we would lose most games and come straight back down, but the money and obscene parachute payments that relegated clubs get rewarded for failure..........will go a long way to help finance our new impending town centre stadium.

Yesterday v Blackpool was my 1,250th Luton game seen at Kenilworth Road. 1,924th in total since 1966.

Being of Scots family roots I LOVE Rangers too and have booked flights for the Cup Final v Hearts and Europa Cup Final in Spain.
Just need to get that injury list down before the play offs! It’s been a hell of a journey back up through the leagues.

Don’t have a English team but do have a soft spot for Chelsea.
Don’t go out of my way to watch them or anything but do like to see them do well.

Walsall,where I grew up,currently languishing bottom half of league 2.
The Banks’ Stadium is the only current English league ground I’ve visited (the others, old White Hart Lane and the Boleyn Ground, are gone).

I saw the Saddlers draw 1-1 with MK Dons about eight years ago.

Of course not, but being such a misery guts to those who like to see another team do well does.

That's strange...
People don’t have to take my opinion to heart. Personally I don’t see how someone can divide their passion and love between more than one club.

I have clubs I like watching and I watch most football that’s on tv but I don’t actively have a second team.

Chelsea should be one of the last clubs anyone within the Rangers support decide to have as a second club for the reason I mentioned btw. All ties should have been severed with them when the hush payment story broke. Disgusting club.

If I had to follow the family line it would either be Hull City, granny came from Barton-Upon-Humber and all her family followed Hull City, they made the trip across the Humber every other Saturday by ferry as the Humber bridge wasn’t built in those days, (she married my grandad and he was a massive bear) or Southampton as my dad was a fan.

As it transpires I don’t have any particular team I follow in England. I watch loads of PL games but have no allegiances. Loving one team is enough. My poor heart couldn’t take another:))

Don't follow any team in England.
But I really, really don't like Man City and the "We were always a big club" nonsense rolled out to defend the creation of the modern team.

Don't follow any team in England.
But I really, really don't like Man City and the "We were always a big club" nonsense rolled out to defend the creation of the modern team.
Their manager's always said he'll only stay a certain amount of time at any club, and I think he's only a couple of seasons away from upping sticks again. We'll see who they land next, and where he can take them...

People don’t have to take my opinion to heart. Personally I don’t see how someone can divide their passion and love between more than one club.

I have clubs I like watching and I watch most football that’s on tv but I don’t actively have a second team.

Chelsea should be one of the last clubs anyone within the Rangers support decide to have as a second club for the reason I mentioned btw. All ties should have been severed with them when the hush payment story broke. Disgusting club.
There’s an interesting discussion of “the Hornby model of fandom” in Kuper and Szymanski’s Soccernomics (2009). They show evidence that most football fans are not unswervingly loyal to one team, but instead spread their support around or change allegiances. Their focus is the Premier League, but it likely holds true elsewhere too.

There’s an interesting discussion of “the Hornby model of fandom” in Kuper and Szymanski’s Soccernomics (2009). They show evidence that most football fans are not unswervingly loyal to one team, but instead spread their support around or change allegiances. Their focus is the Premier League, but it likely holds true elsewhere too.
Yes, like there’s yourself for example, you support tinpot Hamilton but look to us for your fix of glory

Back