Who is your English team and why?

Leeds utd love them back in the early 70tees 80tees remember getting the all white strip for Xmas but never as good as my gers ones

Yip am old lol

Only here to see The Rangers,

but probably Everton. Moved down here at 19 and guy I worked with took me to see them. Also my son in law and a good few mates are bitter blues.

Arsenal primarily because I'm an awkward b'stard and when it was the Liverpool vs arsenal title decider in 1989 everyone in our BBs wanted Liverpool so I went for arsenal just to be different who then won and I've always had a side spot for them since. My son's the same now and been to the Emirates to watch them together.

No, I'm honest I just do not get people who support multiple teams.
Put it this way, I was born in England to a Scottish Father who supported Rangers (hense means I support Rangers) my dad used to get me rangers kits every birthday, media coverage wasn’t big on Scottish football down here so used to Follow man city as it was on my telly more, and I used to hate United cause all my mates at school were United fans and gave me grief over my rangers kits lol so I followed City. I support Rangers, you can have one team but doesn’t mean you can’t favour enough team….the only objection I have is supporting more than one team in same country that’s a big no no

Stoke - born and bred. Still my half rangers and stoke ski hat and thanks to Mac now for a rangers and stoke scarf.

Chelsea. Our blues brothers and we have a lot of the same values. Then Man Utd.
Hate Liverpool with a passion, too many 19th Century Terrorists in their fanbase but its hard not to like Klopp.

70’s Leeds United. Great Scottish connection. Lorimer was my favourite. Nowadays I just like watching the EPL on a Sunday especially if it’s a decent game. Good to just kick back and watch a match with a few goals without worryingly about conceding the last minutes of a one goal lead. It’s all money now Fulham get £150 million just for promotion. Think what we could do with that sort of money. Yeah it’s not all great football bit over hyped but love us to be in amongst them. Loved to watch the FA cup final when football on the tv was more restricted.

Chelsea. Our blues brothers and we have a lot of the same values. Then Man Utd.
Hate Liverpool with a passion, too many 19th Century Terrorists in their fanbase but its hard not to like Klopp.
You do know that Man Utd were always looked on as a club which had a massive RC influence, whereas Liverpool have a very healthy Loyalist/Unionist support and were always looked on as the Protestant club within Liverpool

You do know that Man Utd were always looked on as a club which had a massive RC influence, whereas Liverpool have a very healthy Loyalist/Unionist support and were always looked on as the Protestant club within Liverpool
Did you know it took until the 1980's for Ron Atkinson to become Man Utd's very first non Catholic Manager?

Is the experience good at Millwall?
I always wondered about going to a game there, found it a good idea given are they not of Scottish origin?
To me it is like watching football in the late 70's and early 80"s.
Easy to get to on the train, very passionate fans, and if you have a Scottish accent, first thing they want to know are you a bluenose.
Really enjoyed going to see a few games since moving back to the UK.
Will definitely go more regularly next season, will probably go on Saturday.

First game I remember my late dad taking me to was against Arsenal in the mid 90s. Sat in the Copland rear and was a scorching day!

Always looked out for their scores since then and had a few of their tops!

It’s all money now Fulham get £150 million just for promotion. Think what we could do with that sort of money.

I’ve no doubt inviting us and them into the English league system has been proposed in some board room somewhere over the years, but this is the main reason it wouldn’t ever happen.

Rangers (and them) with money put too many noses out of joint. United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs don’t want another 2 clubs threatening the top 6.

Would have said Chelsea a few years ago but couldn't care less now. Would like to take in a Millwall game at the Den
Exactly this with Chelsea for me. Last two English games I’ve been at were Man United games but I’m not a fan of them either.

English football is largely boring now.

At different points in my life I’ve been Leeds, Arsenal, Liverpool, Ipswich, Man Utd and Wolves.
So I guess I’m a fickle follower of English football which probably fits in with a lot of others

Is it ever a decent atmosphere there? They seem to have got a bit of a following now of lads, from the limited knowledge I have of them.
There’s rarely much atmosphere created by the home fans in part because 2/3 of the ground is typically empty.

However, having a 30k capacity means we pretty much gave away teams as many tickets as they want - so for instance on Easter Saturday we played Sheffield Weds with an event ko and they brought 6k fans.

It’s a fantastic stadium and when full which it has only been 3 times for Dons matches v Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool is a great setting for football

Newcastle United. Grew up in the Scottish Borders so not a million miles away. Went to see them a few times, first in around 1984/5 when Jack Charlton was manager and also in 1992/3 promotion season under Keegan which was an exciting time.

Newcastle, as I've been to a couple of their games. And the people are sound.
However, an old Geordie fella came into our work as a subcontractor, and asked who we all supported. The whole squad were bluenose. He comes away with "I fuckin hate Rangers". Taken aback, we asked why. Said when he was a young lad, Rangers came to play, and there was some trouble. He got his nose broken at 14 by an older guy. Oh dear.
1968/69 Fairs Cup. Rangers fans invaded the pitch at St James Park.

Always been Chelsea since the mid-80s, lots of friends down there who reciprocate whith a healthy love of Rangers.

Over the course of the 90s / 2000s though I have spent time with Leeds, Middlesbrough and Pompey fans and always check for their results.

https://masonry101.com/english-footballs-ties-with-freemasonry/
This link will take you to other links, there was a QM magazine a few years ago that had a great article about City and Masonry. many famous names from Man City were Masons, among them Tony Book, Joe Mercer, Ken Barnes, Les McDowall. Their sky blue colours were installed because of Masonic connections
Jesus Christ, talk about tenous. This guy was a Mason and once played for them, and the City colours are the same as English Freemason's regalia....B-D Lazy writing...

I don’t have an English team. Not looking for staunch points but don’t care about anyone outside of us
I agree. Couldn't care less about English teams. Some guys have a favourite English team, then a favourite Spanish team, Italian team etc. Just seems utterly pointless. The healthier of us are more interested in another woman on the side than nonsense like another team.

Chelsea probably a generation thing with the Bradford fire fundraisers, first time I seen such a large fan base with a similiar political view.

Us and them were pretty shit then so not about gloryhunting, plus my brother was in London then and used to travel up on the Chelsea busses.
I was there, we got beaten 3-2, great atmosphere

Coventry city born there then man city because they play in sky blue I do go and watch them both regularly

Liverpool. I grew up in a time when they were the dominant team in England and Europe and unlike today, you only saw the big cup games on TV, and most of the time that meant Liverpool were in them.

They also had the Scottish connection, Souness, Dalglish (I didn't know of his background until much later), Hansen et al, which had an influence.

I used to like Arsenal. Only because of the good relationship the club had with Rangers.

But the totally monetisation and over saturation of the league on TV totally put me off. I couldn't care less now. It's a just a tourist league and real fans of the clubs have been priced out. And thats affected the atmosphere and passion at stadiums in England now.

I used to watch every live game on TV but it's got too much. Outwith Rangers, the only other games I watch live are the right big games. Like City-Liverpool. Otherwise I'll be happily just watch Match of the Day on demand occasionally.

Jesus Christ, talk about tenous. This guy was a Mason and once played for them, and the City colours are the same as English Freemason's regalia....B-D Lazy writing...
Try and have an in depth look at the history of Man City and not just the link I put up. The club has a tradition with Masonry right to the days of Joe Mercer in the late 1960s. Maybe then you'll understand that it's far more than tenuous. Many players and managers followed the Masonic tradition of becoming members over many years. So instead of jumping in and commenting on something that it's very apparent that you have no idea on the subject do some research

Try and have an in depth look at the history of Man City and not just the link I put up. The club has a tradition with Masonry right to the days of Joe Mercer in the late 1960s. Maybe then you'll understand that it's far more than tenuous. Many players and managers followed the Masonic tradition of becoming members over many years. So instead of jumping in and commenting on something that it's very apparent that you have no idea on the subject do some research
I'm not seeing it, sorry. English football from the start was too professional for that to be an issue as far as I'm concerned. The game was exploding and Clubs would've signed one eyed, purple haired zombies if they could improve the side. Money and winning was all that mattered in England at the time the game was growing.
I've been a member of my mother Lodge for 33 years, by the way.

I'm not seeing it, sorry. English football from the start was too professional for that to be an issue as far as I'm concerned. The game was exploding and Clubs would've signed one eyed, purple haired zombies if they could improve the side. Money and winning was all that mattered in England at the time the game was growing.
City were known as Ardwick F C before incurring financial difficulties, they he'd the debt paid for by local freemasons and renamed Man City, as Ardwick they played in black and red stripes as previously stated they changed to their sky blue and white at the request of local masons, all through their history up until the early 1970s, many of their players and managers as well as board members followed the Masonic route while with the club. I've lived in Cheshire for many years, been at many meetings with like minded friends and have read extensively about the Masonic tradition of the club. Admittedly that club tradition has gone due to the present owners but there is still a very healthy number of Craft members who support the club, former players included.

City were known as Ardwick F C before incurring financial difficulties, they he'd the debt paid for by local freemasons and renamed Man City, as Ardwick they played in black and red stripes as previously stated they changed to their sky blue and white at the request of local masons, all through their history up until the early 1970s, many of their players and managers as well as board members followed the Masonic route while with the club. I've lived in Cheshire for many years, been at many meetings with like minded friends and have read extensively about the Masonic tradition of the club. Admittedly that club tradition has gone due to the present owners but there is still a very healthy number of Craft members who support the club, former players included.
English masons....just playing at it...B-D:cool:

Never really got into any English team even though I have been down here for over 20 years.
Crystal Palace are close to where I live so been to a few of their games over the years with mates, took my son to his first Palace game a few weeks ago. I would rather he supported them than any other London team as they are local and could get tickets for the odd game without too much hassle.
Also Sutton United are just down the road so look out for their results/go to the odd game as well.

Spot the token United fan
DSC_0539-resized-1024x500.jpg

Everton,reason being in 1966 when they were in F.A cup final they came from 2-0 down to win 3-2.I was only 10 yrs old and thought they must be a great team.Since then my English team.

Got a season ticket at MK Dons which is my nearest league team.

Had a few current/ex Bears over the years.

Alex Rae played 3 times and was assistant manager, Flo played for one season and was mostly poor. Peter Leven played excellently over several seasons and before he was famous Tav had a spell on loan from Newcastle which was swiftly curtailed by injury

Are there many Bears in that region ?

Arsenal was the 1st kit I picked out myself as a 5 year old.
Then my dad got me the 88/89 season review on vhs when he was in London
Loved them all through the 90s under George Graham, who's name was up in our primary school.
Limpar, Rocastle, Merson, Wright.
Then Bergkamp and Henry.
Start to dislike them towards wengers later years.
Never felt the same after they moved from Highbury.

None of them.
Will support any team playing an English side in Europe (excluding Celtic).
Have preferences for some sides over others, but none I would say I support.
From age 7 - 13 I was a hard-core Man U glory hunter until I grew out of it.

P
I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Liverpool,ever since around 75/6 they were some team and kicked on when the three Scots joined. They were superb to watch added to what they already had.

Millwall, season ticket holder, started going when I lived in New Cross and a few mates invited me along, instantly felt like I belonged there.

Still Rangers first though.

Jeez, guessing beating the hammers in Seville would be the ultimate high for you mate?

Was always Chelsea for me as they were the first english team i remember being taken to see us playing, from memory it was a Friday night at Ibrox and the floodlights failed during the game, we won too, there was also the local connection with Kevin McAlister playing for them, his late brother being a member of our RSC back then too.

Nowadays I'm not that fussed, always said i'd take the wee man down to Stamford Bridge but other than the tour a few years ago I've never got round to it.

Back