Who is your English team and why?

Seems a bit shite. Most NI fans will have their preferred NI club.
It’s not, I have a ST for Rangers and travel over for games. I don’t have the time nor the will to support 2 clubs.

As I said I watch a lot of football outside of Rangers but I have no emotional connection to any other clubs. I couldn’t care less about NI’s national side either.

Fulchester Rovers, with Billy the Fish, best goalkeeper in England.

Or maybe Melchester Rovers, Roy Race, Hotshot Hamish and all that.

I actually don't have a second team, what's the point?

Rangers only for me.

Chelsea
Went to work in London in the 80’s before that it was only rangers and linfield. Had no interest in English football but worked with a few Chelsea supporters that invited me along to Stamford bridge , met quite a lot off like minded people as soon as I pulled my Ulster flag out in the shed end . So have always been my English team since then

Liverpool. My dad had a soft spot for them due to their Scottish contingent over the years. I didnt really bother with them until 1997 or thereabouts when I saw Fowler and the "ecru" away kit

Preston North End.
I lived in Leyland which isn’t far from Preston for a while with my ex whose family were all sympathetic to Celtic apart from one uncle who was ex Ranger Brian Heron. (Uncle through marriage)
The ex father in law was a North End supporter and I ended up going to all the home games the season Billy Davies took them to the play off final against West Ham in Cardiff.
I am hopeful of personal revenge against them in the Europa League final this year!

I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Sheffield United my National service posting,Alan Hodgkinson in goal, Alan Woodward on the wing,
saw them for many years after that (I signed on)

Wycombe Wanderers
mum’s sister n her family moved to High Wycombe in the 60’s still have family there… Not watched a match at Adams Park yet but have been to it.. they had 9K on the weekend…

Tin Hat on cause of O’kneel n Ainsworth ha

I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Liverpool, started following in early 90s and been a fan since, mainly because of Souness & players like rush, barnes & fowler

Blackpool, as I've lived here for 20 years.

Can hear Bloomfield Road from my garden.

Arsenal - I lived in Islington when I moved to London (because that was the part of town where the pubs were open till 2pm at the weekend). Could walk to Hignbury in 10 mins so found myself watching a boring but very successful George Graham team, then one year of Bruce Rioch (who brough Bergkamp). Then it all kicked off in a great way - Wenger, and watching Viera, Henry, Bergkamp et al close up at Highbury was just fantastic.

Newcastle, as I've been to a couple of their games. And the people are sound.
However, an old Geordie fella came into our work as a subcontractor, and asked who we all supported. The whole squad were bluenose. He comes away with "I fuckin hate Rangers". Taken aback, we asked why. Said when he was a young lad, Rangers came to play, and there was some trouble. He got his nose broken at 14 by an older guy. Oh dear.

I don’t really have one in particular.

Followed Chelsea as a kid, started off when Roberts went there, joined a supporters club many years ago and had a great time following the Sam of the late 90s and until about 2002. In my heart of hearts I probably do still retain the emotional link and was delighted to get the wee man a Chelsea scarf last month at the LC final.
The Abramovich years have resulted in Chelsea being a bit distant from the old school support though and I certainly don’t have the time or money to invest in going regularly. Still felt a bit emotional when they won the Champions League in 2012 - lots of friends over the years who would have just loved that.

Outside of that, I’ve got all manner of offers conflicting interests in Manchester United, Leeds United, Aston Villa, Reading, Arsenal.. bit of a soft spot for Portsmouth as well.

Manchester City ... when I was a wee boy I used to love watching Colin Bell and Francis Lee playing in the mud at Maine Road on the motd.

Tottenham Hotspur

Used to live near White Hart Lane in the early 80's & went to see them quite a lot.
They had a great team in those days...

Carlisle United.

We went to Silloth for September Weekend in 1989, and me and my dad went into Carlisle for the football. They beat Gillingham 3-0 and have been my English team ever since.

Been down a couple of dozen times for games, and was there when Jimmy Glass scored the 95th minute winner to keep them in the league! Also went down to the Everton cup game a couple of seasons ago.

Used to be Man utd...because of Sir Alex and my Dad always spoke about him .... plus they have a lot of history and tradition
Post Sir Alex I now am more keen on Liverpool as I discovered some family history links to the Anfield area plus Stevie. Also loved their massive comeback at the 2005 CL final. Unforgettable game.

Last edited:
Never supported any English team - but I do have a disliking for some i.e:

Everton
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man Utd
Chelsea
Spurs
Villa
Blackburn Rovers
West Brom
Sunderland

The rest I'm pretty neutral on

Was Liverpool when I was a kid.. loved Torres, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Mascherano.

Don’t really have one now, find Klopp very hard to like same with Pep and Man City.

Would probably say Arsenal if I had to pick a team now, hope Arteta does well there.

Arsenal.
When i was growing up in the 80s, every tim seemed to take liverpool as their English team, obviously Liverpool were doing very well back then.
1989 season i think it was, arsenal won the title at Anfield. (michael Thomas ) I already had a wee liking for them , but dad went and got me and arsenal shirt that weekend.
liked them ever since

Depending on my mood I've like different English teams over the years. But now ,maybe it's auld age but l find it's more about disliking English teams that have ex unwashed players playing for them.

Leeds due to huge Scottish link in the 70s
Seemed to have more Scottish players than English players back then
World Cup in 74 Leeds had Harvey, Lorimer, Bremner, Jordan, McQueen in the squad with the Grey brothers near it.

Got a season ticket at MK Dons which is my nearest league team.

Had a few current/ex Bears over the years.

Alex Rae played 3 times and was assistant manager, Flo played for one season and was mostly poor. Peter Leven played excellently over several seasons and before he was famous Tav had a spell on loan from Newcastle which was swiftly curtailed by injury

Kind of jumped about, West Ham early 70’s seemed to be on the telly late at night, moved onto Leeds due to the large Scottish contingent, then Liverpool likewise Souness etc, now Chelsea since mid eighties, been down for a few Chelsea games since meeting a big guy on holiday.

Leeds Utd, mainly because Billy Bremner comes from the same scheme as me, the infamous Raploch ! Also as has already been pointed out they had loads of Scottish internationalists in the 70's.

None.

I don’t watch football outside us.

Was heavily into La Liga about a decade ago, and considered myself a Real Madrid fan.

But don’t bother with that anymore.

Only watch our games.

Liverpool cause that was the first strip I was bought, the one with the crown paints sponsor. And I like Newcastle cause I spent a lot of time there in my younger years, friends used to take me to watch them.

Liked watching most English teams when growing up, enjoyed seeing Forest, Liverpool, Everton winning European trophies. My boy when growing up said he liked Stoke so I took him down to Newcastle for a game when they played them. Easy enough to get away tickets so worked out well. Been to plenty games over the past few years now and met plenty Rangers/Stoke fans on our travels and made new friends through it.

Southampton because Matt Le Tissier was the first striker i can remember seeing in English football and was fucking amazing.

Southampton, however, have been largely shit for all that time.

Got a season ticket at MK Dons which is my nearest league team.

Had a few current/ex Bears over the years.

Alex Rae played 3 times and was assistant manager, Flo played for one season and was mostly poor. Peter Leven played excellently over several seasons and before he was famous Tav had a spell on loan from Newcastle which was swiftly curtailed by injury

Is it ever a decent atmosphere there? They seem to have got a bit of a following now of lads, from the limited knowledge I have of them.

Back