Who is your English team and why?

Are you just getting offended on behalf of everyone today mate? Haha
Not particularly, mate. I just like a relaxing time on here without resorting to pissing over everybody else's thoughts and opinions for no good reason. There's ways to decently and civilly put a differing opinion to someone, especially our own. I guess I'm different from you, though...

I ended up in Southport on the twelfth of July 1982 and met my mate who is a scouser and a bigLiverpool fan.
A big loyalist .
I become a Liverpool fan as soon as I met him.

Sheffield Wednesday.

My Papa was from Sheffield & a big Wednesday fan.

He came upto Glasgow, caught the Rangers bug and took me to the games etc so I have him to thank for that.

The first friendly we had down at Hillsborough few years back was one of the best days of my life.. taking him down to his old stomping ground whilst following the Gers.

He passed away couple years ago so I cherish that day so much.
Went to both personally with my eldest nipper and friends..

1 of my strangest footballing memories was from the 2nd..

Wednesday fans fighting with Wednesday Loyal.. good solid lodge in Sheffield aswell..

Joke club hahaha :) ..

Last edited:
Liverpool - they were THE team in the 80’s for the most part when I was a kid. Had posters of them on the wall and were the team I remember watching on tv more than anyone in finals etc. then Souness went back and Inkept following their results. Through the “spice boy” era then into the 2000’s with some great European finals.
100% same for me, 80s was the era I spent the most time in stadiums following the famous and had Liverpool badges on my scarf as that was a thing back then. Now just pick and choose as I'm a grumpy auld bastard. Had my grandson at both Braga games which were his first 2 games. Unfortunately he thinks every game will be like that lol.

Millwall.
My mate and his family are season ticket holders so started going to home and away games with them for around 10 years. Was interesting and good laugh mostly with some great matches.
Don’t watch them as much anymore due to family commitments.

Wimbledon. Loved Joe Kinnear, Sam Haman, Vinny, Ekoku etc as a kid. I know some people don't like long ball football, but their aggression and constant launching was brilliant to watch. Got to a couple of games when they got promoted back to League 2, and the atmosphere at the ground was vrilliant. Sadly just relegated back to League 2.

I’ve always kept an eye on Chelsea results
When I was younger would always buy the Chelsea home tops
Any Chelsea fan I’ve ever met spoke highly of rangers so always had a soft spot for Chelsea

Man Utd.

Grew up watching them in the 90’s winning everything like we did.

Still follow them closely and prefer them over any other English team but their results don’t bother me either way.
I’m in the exact same boat, follow them very closely and always want the best for them but if the lose it doesn’t bother me

The Wednesday as when I moved to civilisation from Cumnock 43 years ago I started going to Hillsborough as a 12 year old, went for years but not so much these days sadly

I liked Man City. Liked the strip and when I was getting into football in the early/mid 90’s I saw them as the underdogs and the ‘real’ fans compared to the glory chasing man United fans.

Obviously times have changed since then. I like to watch them but don’t feel a fraction of the passion I feel watching Rangers.
Funny I used to support City for those very reasons! Fell out of love with them when the Emiratees took over.

I now look for Doncaster Rovers result, my dad’s mate from his RAF days is still a season ticket holder and Gateshead! Went to a Newcastle for a Stag Do and did hospitality there, have followed there results ever since. Heading down for final game of season on 7th May as they have chance of winning National League North.

So a Rangers fan who moves south for work should never take an interest in their newly local team?

Seems a bit shite.
You'd need to be earning tv star wages to afford tickets for any 'new team' you started liking if they were in the Premiership, mate...

Also Man City.

Largely because of Oasis. I was ten years old. Then I witnessed Kinkladze and that was it. I was hooked.

Years ago when I used to play championship manager, I used to play as Swansea so I used to look out for their results. I know they’re no English.
Kinkladze was superb!

Don’t have one. I keep an eye out for Carlisle Utd results as I lived there for 6 years but couldn’t tell you about any of their players and I’m not bothered if they win, lose or draw.

Spurs due to their 1984 UEFA cup win and kit when I was wee.

They just bore me now with the constant under achieving and change of managers.

If I was to pick a team from fresh now it would probably be Millwall.

Truth be told I don’t even feel 1% of what I feel watching Rangers though.
Snap ..i was 10years old and diving about the living room pretending to be Tony Parks . Come on yooo Spurs !!

Millwall, season ticket holder, started going when I lived in New Cross and a few mates invited me along, instantly felt like I belonged there.

Still Rangers first though.
Is the experience good at Millwall?
I always wondered about going to a game there, found it a good idea given are they not of Scottish origin?

Hard to muster up a particular passion for one club. I like certain players/managers so will root for them but don’t really have an emotional attachment to anyone.

When I was a kid I was a Man Utd fan, then Chelsea because of Zola, then later liked Arsenal because of the football they played. Not really fussed on any now.

Mostly just watch the Premier league as I’m obsessed with Fantasy League!

Spurs are on there way to Wembley

Hoddle ,Waddle ,Graham Roberts etc etc
A great team. UEFA Cup winners. Not quite up to the standard of the previous UEFA Cup winners, the Jennings-Mullery-Peters-Chivers team of the early 70s.

But then I remember Alfieconnssideburns admonishing me on here for citing that “team of pygmies” - he was comparing with the team of the early 60s, double winners, and the first British club to win a European trophy, the 1963 ECWC.

Liverpool for me. The 90s side with Fowler, McManaman etc, I don't know; they just were the unlucky team I felt sorry for. Had the home tops and that cream one with weird material.

Hate YNWA though. Not for OF purposes, its just a f**king dirge.

Chelsea.

Go and watch them when I can but Rangers 1st obviously.

The trips are good and the English game decent. The pace some of the teams move the ball is incredible.
And yet you’ll still get a lot in here saying it’s shit……. Even the bottoms league teams play to a good standard and seem to attack all of the time, none of the ten behind the ball stuff

Moving to Liverpool early 1980's - and working Saturday mornings, it had to be Everton

Well, they play in blue, and to support the shower across the park
would have made me a 'glory hunter'

But had some great memories watching the likes of Big Dunc and Andrei Kanchelskis.

Member at Chelsea,go down a few times a season,my uncle brought me back a programme and Chelsea pennant from Ron Harris Testimonial early 70s,so started from their,also similar strips helped.

Blackburn, born in Lancaster and moved half way between Blackburn and Burnley after 2 weeks. Had a season ticket till I was 24 around 2004. Interest has waned since the Venkys and lived abroad a bit since. Enjoy going Lancaster now and again as well and go Rovers sometimes but it just ain’t the same for me now. More of a ground hopper now around Europe, sad what’s happened with Football in England - after being in Germany for 2 years I just became addicted to standing with a pint really and seeing great displays week in week out. I hate sitting at Football now and being told what to do etc. Often take 2/3 days off and go away watching matches City to City and go England away now and again.

Last edited:
My Granda lived down south for a while and never really bothered with Scottish football. He got me into Chelsea. I mind waiting for MOTD every Saturday to watch them during the late 90’s with the likes of Zola, Vialli, RDM and a pre-Rangers Tore Andre Flo and I was hooked.

Nothing in this world can compare to the love, passion and camaraderie you get with Rangers but I’ve had some cracking days and nights out in West London. There is a core of Chelsea supporters that as soon as they find out you’re Rangers will welcome you with open arms. From a purely footballing side, some Mourinho and Tuchel teams have been a joy to watch. Pure tactical masterclasses that you can only fully appreciate in person when you see the whole game play out in front of you.

Is the experience good at Millwall?
I always wondered about going to a game there, found it a good idea given are they not of Scottish origin?
I went in December for a drink, had been before as an away fan, and really enjoyed it. I can see myself going back now and again, just no bollocks around it really. Love a day in London having a drink and going Football, Millwall great for that.

Had a soft spot for Wolves for a good couple of years now, probably since they were coming out the championship. Will be sad to see Neves leave cause what a fkn player he is

There are quite a few english teams that i "like" for different reasons. If i had to choose one it would probably be old FC Wimbledon.

Tottenham due to liking Klinsmann when I was a kid. I grew to not really care by time I left school so around time Martin Jol was manager. I still prefer them but I don't support them

Back