RTV Away days: Seville

Manchester we were never in it, why would you watch that back? Seville we had one hand on the trophy, it is 'what might have been' rather than 'what never shall be'.

I'm not going full Suvill, name a suite and all that, but the players deserve the recognition, imho. They, and us, gave our all. It was the finest of micro margins, it is something we should be proud of. This team has balls of steel.

Manchester we were never in it, why would you watch that back? Seville we had one hand on the trophy, it is 'what might have been' rather than 'what never shall be'.

I'm not going full Suvill, name a suite and all that, but the players deserve the recognition, imho.

It's that we were a coin toss away from winning it - and ended with fu*k all - that makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach when I even think about it.

I'll pass, for now.

I'll never watch it.

Still never seen a single second of Manchester since the full time whistle and Seville will be no different.

Heartbroken for the players, management, backroom staff and especially the fans. We all knew it was within our grasp but ultimately we fell agonisingly short.

Proud of the efforts from the team but I can't relive that pain again.

I'm not going full Suvill, name a suite and all that, but the players deserve the recognition, imho. They, and us, gave our all. It was the finest of micro margins, it is something we should be proud of. This team has balls of steel.

I watched the whole match back last week, sober and obviously minus nerves.

We were MUCH better than I felt immediately after the game, it kind of made me feel better, or at least less disappointed and like you say, proud of the team.

My initial thoughts were that we were timid, nervous and didn't do ourselves justice, it was the opposite watching it back, Rangers were the better team and deserved to win, we took the game to them throughout, at the end of 90 minutes and at the end of extra time we were the only side going for it.

I'll never watch it.

Still never seen a single second of Manchester since the full time whistle and Seville will be no different.

Heartbroken for the players, management, backroom staff and especially the fans. We all knew it was within our grasp but ultimately we fell agonisingly short.

Proud of the efforts from the team but I can't relive that pain again.
All I have managed so far is I put myself through watching the penalties again to see if the Germans were as accurate as I remembered . They were. Mcgregor had no chance with any of them.

I wouldn’t recommend it though because it also made me realise how close mcgregor was to kostic penalty. It was drilled low and hard and perfect into his left hand corner, but mcgregor still nearly got a fingertip to it which could’ve diverted it away or onto the post. It’s literally centimetres in it, the ball lifts just enough off the surface to get by his glove and no more. Any less than perfect and he gets it.

Borre would’ve had a different pressure stepping up knowing he had to score otherwise they’d lost, instead of having the kick to win it. His is placed perfectly under the bar unsaveable again BUT had the pressure been on more that could have so easily been hit that wee touch higher, rebounded off the bar and the trophy would have been ours with those two moments going in our favour I’ve just described.

I’ll never watch the game again and to be honest watching the penalties didn’t do much for me except confirm what I originally thought-they knew that had to be inch perfect to beat mcgregor they had done their homework and they carried it out to fucking perfection.

I feel proud now more than sad and as time goes by that will only increase, massive achievement unforgettable season but will always have that feeling of what might have been had luck been on our side in that shootout. Our penalties weren’t bad, 4 out of 5 is decent. But against Germans you need 5 out of 5 and to hope they break first. I don’t think any of us believed they would and we were sadly right.

Anyone watched it?

It is a fantastic document of the final.

Ramsey...

Dougie Park is absolutley gutted at the trophy presentation, as we all were/are.

So close. We go again, get that Zadok music playing boys.
Will never watch the game or anything with seville init . Hurts too much..

tbh, I wasn't as emotinally invested in Manchester as I was in Seville. Manchester was easier (Dad and I were full points TC members, and I booked an apartment beside Picadilly after Bremen) Seville was a genuine mission. My dad is 72, it is our 150th. I don't feel regret, but I do need closure.

I don't want to feel about Seville the way I feel about 2008.

This team is fabulous, I want to love them.

tbh, I wasn't as emotinally invested in Manchester as I was in Seville. Manchester was easier (Dad and I were full points TC members, and I booked an apartment beside Picadilly after Bremen) Seville was a genuine mission. My dad is 72, it is our 150th. I don't feel regret, but I do need closure.

I hear you. In a similar boat myself. The main pain from Seville for me comes from even the cynic in me, who always tends to think the worst, even I had started to believe when Aribo scores we might just do it. I felt it all through the fortnight build up to the game as well. But I did not admit it. My old man did, at 72 he kept saying we are doing this. Never seen him so desolate after a game in my life, and that was hard to see. Thankfully being the man he is he’s back to normal already , better than I am in fact!

100% with you on the narrative of we should not make this something negative, we need to be able to take the massive positives and heroic efforts of the players and celebrate what we did instead of trying to blank it.

It would be a shame and a waste to not be able to watch those Dortmund games, and the magnificent home games against Red star, Braga and Leipzig again with pride and enjoyment.

I’m not ready yet but i wouldn’t be against the club doing a road to Seville dvd or film at some point. People can say all they like “ leave that for the yahoos” etc but I feel it would bring us a lot of joy and closure. Just too early just now.

Last edited:

I genuinely think you should watch the whole game back, it was definitely cathartic, in a strange way, for me.

It changed my feeling from disappointment, to a bit of pride in the team and frustration as we were and are a better side than them, they were hanging on for extra time and then hanging on for penalties.

I watched the whole match back last week, sober and obviously minus nerves.

We were MUCH better than I felt immediately after the game, it kind of made me feel better, or at least less disappointed and like you say, proud of the team.

My initial thoughts were that we were timid, nervous and didn't do ourselves justice, it was the opposite watching it back, Rangers were the better team and deserved to win, we took the game to them throughout, at the end of 90 minutes and at the end of extra time we were the only side going for it.
That’s great to hear! But I’m not sure I can rewatch it

As a mate said the other day, up until Frankfurt scored, it was the best 4 days of my life.

I’ve still not watched Manchester back, nvm a couple weeks ago.
I eventually watched Manchester on the Monday before Seville. Getting excited about the match my 2 boys were asking questions about the 2008 game, when I told them I hadn't watched it they were shocked and wanted to see it with me, I reluctantly agreed. I don't think this one will take me 14 years but I can't just yet.

My recollection of the game must be absolutely terrible.

I thought during the 90 minutes we were actually quite poor apart from a couple of 5-10 minute spells.

Frankfurt weren’t great either tbf but I thought they had the better chances and the better spells of controlled possession.

When I left the game I was pretty sure Frankfurt were the better team in 90 minutes and we shaded extra time and looked much stronger the longer it went on.

I’ll never watch the full game back so I’ll need to take the word of anyone that has that says we were better.

I re-watched our goal and it is glorious - the support and the joy on the players' faces. But then you realise the final outcome and I had to switch off.

It will be always be a game full of 'what ifs'. Had we made it to the drinks break, for example, I believe we would have taken a deep breath and reset to see out the final quarter.

I don't think I will ever feel as emotional about a game again - before, during and after. I used to get nervous about domestic Cup Finals or a trip to the yahoos. Nothing will compare to Seville (but I wouldn't mind trying it in Budapest).

I was at both Manchester and Seville. I’ve never watched a single highlight of Manchester but I’ve watched highlights of Seville. It was a far better experience and match. The 12 minutes after Aribo’s goal was incredible.

Never to be watched but I have nothing but admiration for what we did as team to get to the final and Seville will be a memory I will probably take to my grave. I didn't think after we won 55 I would feel the emotions of such a season but this season has surpassed it by a mile with the absolute highs to the cruellest of lows with one kick of a ball.

When Aribo hit the net there was a moment of are we really going to do this?

Wild celebrations turned to tears and the fact that we were leading in a European Cup Final.

The next 5 minutes was sheer emotions running wild. Don’t think there was a dry eye.

When Aribo hit the net there was a moment of are we really going to do this?

Wild celebrations turned to tears and the fact that we were leading in a European Cup Final.

The next 5 minutes was sheer emotions running wild. Don’t think there was a dry eye.

I just kept screaming at my dad, 'one hand on the trophy, one hand on the trophy!'.

It is gut wrenching, but it is also magnificent.

I remember saying to the boy next to me that I'd rather be anywhere else in the world than standing at that game for the next half hour, wishing I could switch off and just return at the end. I started to feel we were doing it.

Then they scored.

I thought I was getting over it till I watched that.

We deserved to win the tournament.

Sadly our big players had an off day when it mattered most. We were in full control in ET and should have put them away.

I just kept screaming at my dad, 'one hand on the trophy, one hand on the trophy!'.

It is gut wrenching, but it is also magnificent.

Eldest in our group was 49. As staunch as they come. He was a wreck, in tears and went to the toilet and spewed. Literally didn’t know what to do with himself.

I faced timed my youngest and she was in full kit jumping about. 5 year old and was gutted she wasn’t with me.

We did not do ourselves justice in the final, but credit goes to frankfurt as they had done their homework and stifled our attacking options.

The more open the game became, the better we played. I still believe we are the better team, and would fancy us if we met them again.

We were fantastic throughout the tournament, and although we were beaten by the very finest of margins, our club and fans deserve enormous credit.

There is no way that I look on our Europa run as a failure, I look on it as a magnificent achievement.

I can't watch it again and doubt I ever will it actually puts me in a right downer just thinking about it.

We did not do ourselves justice in the final, but credit goes to frankfurt as they had done their homework and stifled our attacking options.

The more open the game became, the better we played. I still believe we are the better team, and would fancy us if we met them again.

We were fantastic throughout the tournament, and although we were beaten by the very finest of margins, our club and fans deserve enormous credit.

There is no way that I look on our Europa run as a failure, I look on it as a magnificent achievement.
Same, I had a truly brilliant experience and a great couple of weeks build up to it.
I have watched the highlights but need to watch the full game again somewhere

watched the Kent chance / sitter .that was our England 66 moment, was it over the line was it not ...put it in the net weeman .he knew it when Davis shot flew centimetres wide

I wasn’t at Seville but was in the Etihad, still never seen the goals since I saw them live.
Probably never will.

Won’t be watching that and have never watched anything from Manchester either, f@ck that!

It comes into my mind everyday, fantastic trip from the Sunday to the Friday, I’ve watched the highlights back, as everyone has said when Aribo scored the scenes were probably the best I’ve been involved in right at the top of that fucking shithole stadium people diving over random strangers absolutely brilliant, after the game i felt like we won’t get a better chance of winning a European trophy again but who knows, sore one and always will be but long live the Glasgow Rangers

My recollection of the game must be absolutely terrible.

I thought during the 90 minutes we were actually quite poor apart from a couple of 5-10 minute spells.

Frankfurt weren’t great either tbf but I thought they had the better chances and the better spells of controlled possession.

When I left the game I was pretty sure Frankfurt were the better team in 90 minutes and we shaded extra time and looked much stronger the longer it went on.

I’ll never watch the full game back so I’ll need to take the word of anyone that has that says we were better.
I’d say you’ve summed the game up pretty well.

I watched the game on tv and the highlights about a week ago.

We were slow out of the traps and continually coughed up possession through misplaced passes or poor control.

Frankfurt had the better chances - aside from our goal we had the Kent chance, the Davis follow up and not much else.

About 2 mins before they scored Goldson took a poor touch and we lost possession. Kamada put the ball on the roof of our net thus spurning a great chance.

Thought after that “%^*& me, we’re doing this”. However, that goal we conceded would look abysmal in the Petrofac Final

If we go onto win next seasons league title and have had another solid season in Euorpe, then I'll be able to watch this. For now, it's still too raw.

I’d say you’ve summed the game up pretty well.

I watched the game on tv and the highlights about a week ago.

We were slow out of the traps and continually coughed up possession through misplaced passes or poor control.

Frankfurt had the better chances - aside from our goal we had the Kent chance, the Davis follow up and not much else.

About 2 mins before they scored Goldson took a poor touch and we lost possession. Kamada put the ball on the roof of our net thus spurning a great chance.

Thought after that “%^*& me, we’re doing this”. However, that goal we conceded would look abysmal in the Petrofac Final
Aribo put a difficult turn and shot past the post in the first half and Jack had an easier shot to get on target from just inside the box than the one he scored from at Hampden. Put it over the bar when he should have done much better.

Pretty sure we had more possession but I agree Eintracht had more attempts, especially in the first 90. Thought we got much better when Davis came on and then gained a degree of control in extra time when Sands came on and we switched formation. Unlucky not to win it at the end.

I’ve been able to watch this one back, something I never did after Manchester ‘08. We were nowhere near our best, but then I don’t think Eintracht were either. Bawhair between the teams on the night.

Never seen the Zenith game again and I don’t know how anyone could watch the Frankfurt game is beyond me.

Feck this glorious failure shite leave that to the mob who have stage plays about defeats in Seville.

Back