RTV Away days: Seville

I've watched the highlights and I'm sure I'll watch the full game at some point, but not ready for it yet.

It actually looks like a better game on the highlights than it seemed at the time and could have gone either way to be honest.

I still don't understand why a simple clearance wasn't completed at their goal, but I guess it's something we just have to put behind us now.

No, just no.

I could live to a hundred and never watch a single clip of the match, same with Manchester 2008. I was there, I had an amazing time and the memories are enough for me.

Only a masochist would go out of their way to watch this.

I'll never watch it.

Still never seen a single second of Manchester since the full time whistle and Seville will be no different.

Heartbroken for the players, management, backroom staff and especially the fans. We all knew it was within our grasp but ultimately we fell agonisingly short.

Proud of the efforts from the team but I can't relive that pain again.

exactly this for me.

Started watching but had to put off as it’s just too painful, the most devastated I’ve ever been after a Rangers game.

Took me a while to read this thread as I had to keep putting the phone down. Seville is just too raw still.

I still don't understand why a simple clearance wasn't completed at their goal, but I guess it's something we just have to put behind us now.
Here’s my theory.

About 2 mins before their goal a heavy Goldson touch saw possession lost and Kamada put his shot on the top of the net when he should have scored.

I think Goldson was spooked by that mistake and left the cross alone for fear of sticking it in his own net.

The ironic thing is that just before the mistake that led to the Kamada chance, Goldson had put two absolute monster challenges in one after the other just inside our half.

I watched the whole match back last week, sober and obviously minus nerves.

We were MUCH better than I felt immediately after the game, it kind of made me feel better, or at least less disappointed and like you say, proud of the team.

My initial thoughts were that we were timid, nervous and didn't do ourselves justice, it was the opposite watching it back, Rangers were the better team and deserved to win, we took the game to them throughout, at the end of 90 minutes and at the end of extra time we were the only side going for it.
A lot of their chances were half chances. Felt we had them under control. One or 2 close scrapes but you expect that. Brain fart of a goal but the longer it went in the stronger we got. Could maybe have upped the ante earlier in ET. Only one team was winning it in ET.

I just watched this Away Days video, then I watched the RTV highlights from Manchester.

I had never watched the 2008 game back or seen highlights. I even turned my head away every time clips of that final popped up on something I was watching.

I feel the pride in our team’s attempt in Seville but I’ve never had for the 2008 team and I thought about that for a wee while before watching the 2008 highlights. I had no recollection of how that game went at all, didn’t remember any incidents, chances and even their goals. Sometimes I’d even wondered if I really remember what the score was. I blocked it out completely. So I thought about how I felt about our 2022 team compared with the 2008 team. I thought in the end that it’s unfair to think about one team with pride and effectively cut the other one out all together. So I felt that it was only fair to give those boys a second chance… so I watched it.

We were not too far away that night either. We had chances, and all of those guys put in a hell of a shift but fell slightly short. Fair enough, 2022 was closer, but that 2008 team deserve more from me than to be cancelled. That’s my opinion of myself in terms of cancelling them, not anyone else by the way. Everyone should deal with it in their own way, and hopefully I have made a bit of peace with 2008.

Maybe I’ll watch both full games at some point instead of just the highlights :))

So, we need to win it before we all kick the bucket and we can really make peace with it :D

My recollection of the game must be absolutely terrible.

I thought during the 90 minutes we were actually quite poor apart from a couple of 5-10 minute spells.

Frankfurt weren’t great either tbf but I thought they had the better chances and the better spells of controlled possession.

When I left the game I was pretty sure Frankfurt were the better team in 90 minutes and we shaded extra time and looked much stronger the longer it went on.

I’ll never watch the full game back so I’ll need to take the word of anyone that has that says we were better.
Watched it in the pub then tried to watch a rerun when I got home where I could hear the commentary and the crowd. Frankfurt better in the first half. Second half pretty even with Rangers looking more likely near the end of the game and in extra time. Overall in the 90 minutes Frankfurt probably were slightly better with more clear cut chances, but we could have won it.

I just watched this Away Days video, then I watched the RTV highlights from Manchester.

I had never watched the 2008 game back or seen highlights. I even turned my head away every time clips of that final popped up on something I was watching.

I feel the pride in our team’s attempt in Seville but I’ve never had for the 2008 team and I thought about that for a wee while before watching the 2008 highlights. I had no recollection of how that game went at all, didn’t remember any incidents, chances and even their goals. Sometimes I’d even wondered if I really remember what the score was. I blocked it out completely. So I thought about how I felt about our 2022 team compared with the 2008 team. I thought in the end that it’s unfair to think about one team with pride and effectively cut the other one out all together. So I felt that it was only fair to give those boys a second chance… so I watched it.

We were not too far away that night either. We had chances, and all of those guys put in a hell of a shift but fell slightly short. Fair enough, 2022 was closer, but that 2008 team deserve more from me than to be cancelled. That’s my opinion of myself in terms of cancelling them, not anyone else by the way. Everyone should deal with it in their own way, and hopefully I have made a bit of peace with 2008.

Maybe I’ll watch both full games at some point instead of just the highlights :))

So, we need to win it before we all kick the bucket and we can really make peace with it :D
2008 was 1-0 for a while and we had some good chances to get it back to 1-1. Think it was very late in the game before it became 2-0 and was out of sight for Rangers. Was a heroic effort from the Rangers team, but the schedule of games was unfair and Zenit probably had a bit more quality, which we didn't have the energy to counteract at that point in the season.

Should be proud of both teams of finalists.

Still watching goldson in slow motion now makes it even more painful, never seem it from the end i was in, still gut wrenching now 2 weeks later

Manchester we were never in it, why would you watch that back? Seville we had one hand on the trophy, it is 'what might have been' rather than 'what never shall be'.

I'm not going full Suvill, name a suite and all that, but the players deserve the recognition, imho. They, and us, gave our all. It was the finest of micro margins, it is something we should be proud of. This team has balls of steel.
This is kind of where I am with it.
Haven't seen anything of 08 and being in the midst of the carnage in Piccadilly and the train station afterwards was one of my worst experiences ever, that final is soured beyond belief for me.

Seville will be different, the results leading up to it, the shift the players put in, the belief throughout that this team COULD do it, right until the last kick.

This game hurt more than 08 but so much more pride felt towards it.

Can’t quite bring myself to watch this. Don’t want to get back into the headspace of the days immediately afterwards, which were the worst I’ve ever felt as a supporter. When you get that close to immortality it’s painful.

I’ve never watched Manchester back and i won’t watch Seville back either . The best 10 minutes of our lives when Aribo scored and we were a spot kick away from winning it , heartbreaking.
I’ve heard others say this.
I honestly believe I’ve never seen better penalties than the 5 taken by the Germans.
They had clearly practiced them over and over again.
Had Ramsey scored and it went 5-5 we’d still not have won it.
I always wonder who was our 6th taker.
Bottom line you never want to get into a penalty shoot out with a German team

I honestly believe I’ve never seen better penalties than the 5 taken by the Germans.
You are right their penalties were accurate beyond belief. In off the post, right under the bar, right into the corner. They had to be as mcgregor is a centimetre away from kostic pen in particular , he just hits it perfectly hard into the corner. Clinical. You need luck that we just never got in terms of the one that clipped the post and went in to rebound back out. Felt for mcgregor but he literally did all he could.

No doubt about it. That psychological advantage is massive and on reflection I felt we had lost as soon as the ref blew for time up in extra time.

Manchester we were never in it, why would you watch that back? Seville we had one hand on the trophy, it is 'what might have been' rather than 'what never shall be'.

I'm not going full Suvill, name a suite and all that, but the players deserve the recognition, imho. They, and us, gave our all. It was the finest of micro margins, it is something we should be proud of. This team has balls of steel.

I’m sorry mate but I can never watch it nor do I think I’ll ever forget it or get over it fully.

We nearly won it and I couldn’t go through the pain of watching it again, even with a few beers in me I refused to watch it will be heart breaking.

One day. Incredible memories and the feeling from the Leipzig game up until the Aribo goal in the final the whole thing was an incredible experience as a Rangers supporter, but it just hurts too much still. I’m not so sure we’ll have as good a chance for a Euro trophy ever again. It’s not like Manchester though for me, that’s why it’s worse. Didn’t expect to win at Manchester, I did against Frankfurt.

You can’t have the highs without those lows. It’s why we do it.

My old man is 65 this year and the part that sticks in my craw is that it's now unlikely that we'll be able to experience Rangers winning a European trophy together. He seen the ECWC win when he was a kid/teenager, but we've been to two botched finals now and the next one quite possibly will be after he's gone. Even if he's still around for the next one he's unlikely to be fit to travel to it.

These are the things that play on my mind beyond just winning the thing.

No doubt about it. That psychological advantage is massive and on reflection I felt we had lost as soon as the ref blew for time up in extra time.
same here I was standing with head in hands when the German keeper made that brilliant save from Kent late on
And it was a brilliant save it wasn’t a miss

So many ifs and buts. Another one was the highly-rated Tuta going off after his slip, being replaced by the 38-year-old Makoto Hasebe. I was hoping we could get at him but instead he played a real captain's role, settling them down and clearing everything up.

My old man is 65 this year and the part that sticks in my craw is that it's now unlikely that we'll be able to experience Rangers winning a European trophy together. He seen the ECWC win when he was a kid/teenager, but we've been to two botched finals now and the next one quite possibly will be after he's gone. Even if he's still around for the next one he's unlikely to be fit to travel to it.

I hear you and the truth be told the way European competition has gone and is going it just gets harder every year.

My old man is even older than yours and my feeling is that none of us will ever see Rangers in another European final again. Perhaps our kids will but not us.

I think the reason it’s taking so long for us to get over not winning is the realisation this felt like “ it” for us for so many reasons, 150 year anniversary , 50 year Barcelona bears. Plus we had a team capable of winning the match. But the killer is losing on penalties- an inch here an inch there and it goes the other way. You’ll not see five penalties as good as the Germans hit in a row again.

I watched Away Days last night.

We created some good opportunities - for example, Ryan Jack should have done a lot better in the first half, likewise Ryan Kent shortly before we scored.

Aribo was involved in the majority of our better things and I think we may have got the benefit on the last minute Kent miss had he scored.

Ramsey looked very nervous going up for his penalty. The adrenaline was pumping through Davis based on his reaction scoring - not often you see him that demonstrative.

A hard watch but a good one - in a sense, it brings you closer to this squad. We have a really great bunch of lads at the club.

I watched Away Days last night.

We created some good opportunities - for example, Ryan Jack should have done a lot better in the first half, likewise Ryan Kent shortly before we scored.

Aribo was involved in the majority of our better things and I think we may have got the benefit on the last minute Kent miss had he scored.

Ramsey looked very nervous going up for his penalty. The adrenaline was pumping through Davis based on his reaction scoring - not often you see him that demonstrative.

A hard watch but a good one - in a sense, it brings you closer to this squad. We have a really great bunch of lads at the club.
I think there was more pressure on Ramsey than any of our other takers. He and Roofe were clearly brought on to take pens although Roofe obvs created the Kent chance and Ramsey was brought down for Tav’s free kick on 120 mins.

I think Ramsey genuinely joined us hoping to contribute rather than to top up his pension or keep his fitness ticking over for Wales. As such a failure to convert his spot kick would ultimately define how his loan period was remembered. It was a poor pen but I attach no blame to him - these things happen and he didn’t shy away from taking one

I hear you and the truth be told the way European competition has gone and is going it just gets harder every year.

My old man is even older than yours and my feeling is that none of us will ever see Rangers in another European final again. Perhaps our kids will but not us.

I think the reason it’s taking so long for us to get over not winning is the realisation this felt like “ it” for us for so many reasons, 150 year anniversary , 50 year Barcelona bears. Plus we had a team capable of winning the match. But the killer is losing on penalties- an inch here an inch there and it goes the other way. You’ll not see five penalties as good as the Germans hit in a row again.
We’ll get to another one before that mate. We’ve been to 2 in our last 9 attempts in European competition.

The only thing I can add here is that adversity - and it doesn't come much more adverse than losing a European final on pens - is the glue that's made many a great team.

As a team, we are stronger for this experience. This isn't a squad at the end of its cycle, it's one which is just about to peak. We're in a great place for next season and if we have a good transfer window then you never know what we'll be saying this time next year...

I watched the whole match back last week, sober and obviously minus nerves.

We were MUCH better than I felt immediately after the game, it kind of made me feel better, or at least less disappointed and like you say, proud of the team.

My initial thoughts were that we were timid, nervous and didn't do ourselves justice, it was the opposite watching it back, Rangers were the better team and deserved to win, we took the game to them throughout, at the end of 90 minutes and at the end of extra time we were the only side going for it.
Mate, Frankurt could and should've have been 2 or 3 up at half time. 2md half and extra time much better.

2008 was 1-0 for a while and we had some good chances to get it back to 1-1. Think it was very late in the game before it became 2-0 and was out of sight for Rangers. Was a heroic effort from the Rangers team, but the schedule of games was unfair and Zenit probably had a bit more quality, which we didn't have the energy to counteract at that point in the season.

Should be proud of both teams of finalists.
2008 was 0-0 inside the last 20 mins.
They scored in about the 75th minute, then the 2nd in injury time.
I remember us having a penalty shout and hitting the post at 0-0 and out free kick on the edge of the box right on half time.
Bizarrely Kevin Thomson took it.

Yep. If we were Real, Barcelona, Liverpool or Bayern you’d know we’d be back in a final sooner rather than later but it could be 5 years it could be 35 years. When you factor shared family experiences into it then it becomes a more painful loss.

I wat he’s the whole game penalties and all on the Sunday afterwards returned from Seville on the Friday

We should be immensely proud of the team they gave their all in searing heat

We should have went straight to a back 5 as soon as we scored I believe we would have won if we done that

The kent chance will haunt me forever more

The memories of the run to the final will last a lifetime

i get that, the aftermath of Manchester means that it kinda ended for me at kick off.

I think Seville carries a lot of pride and that is something worth, if not celebrating, then certailny acknowledging.
I think that’s spot on. If the yahoos can name a hospitality suite in honour of their trip to Seville, then we have every right to feel proud of our achievement in getting there, the part we played in a nail biting final and the shining example to all shown by our superb fans in how to support your team on the great occasion that is a European final.

I wat he’s the whole game penalties and all on the Sunday afterwards returned from Seville on the Friday

We should be immensely proud of the team they gave their all in searing heat

We should have went straight to a back 5 as soon as we scored I believe we would have won if we done that

The kent chance will haunt me forever more

The memories of the run to the final will last a lifetime
Kent chance would’ve been ruled out for being over the line when Roofe crossed, so it shouldn’t haunt you mate.

Never watched Manchester again. However, will watch the highlights of that one maybe over the Summer. We waited only a couple of years for our first final, then 5 years, then the longest time - 36 years - but after that I thought that's it - but 14 years we were there again. To a team like Rangers, the EL and ECL are still do-able, and the more long runs we get the easier the passage can be.

I re-watched our goal and it is glorious - the support and the joy on the players' faces. But then you realise the final outcome and I had to switch off.

It will be always be a game full of 'what ifs'. Had we made it to the drinks break, for example, I believe we would have taken a deep breath and reset to see out the final quarter.

I don't think I will ever feel as emotional about a game again - before, during and after. I used to get nervous about domestic Cup Finals or a trip to the yahoos. Nothing will compare to Seville (but I wouldn't mind trying it in Budapest).

That's a small thing to note, reaching this final will go a very long way to rebuilding our mentality domestically that can still be a bit questionable at times.

We should be able to as a club put together a celebratory film about that European journey concentrating on the positives with focus on Dortmund, Braga, Red star and Leipzig and just a small segment at the end about the final not going our way but praising our players historic efforts.

It would be a shame not to have it documented and it’s something that given time we could look back on with so much pride and let’s not forget sensational football and goals along the way. Some of the best atmospheres seen at Ibrox.

We won’t go down the yahoo route of a play and a wall and a VIP lounge of course, but a film we can download or put out on dvd would bring closure I feel for some.

There’s no way it can be erased from our minds just because of one penalty shoot out and the width of a post deciding it. That would do a disservice to our 150 year heritage and our impeccably behaved fans.

Kent chance would’ve been ruled out for being over the line when Roofe crossed, so it shouldn’t haunt you mate.
If that chance had gone in, and was then chopped off by VAR as it looks like it would have been , we would have felt 10 times worse than we did losing on penalties. That would have been the ultimate kick in the balls. Doesn’t bare thinking about actually.

Me and my dad were there, he’s 75, was in Barcelona in 72, his 3rd European final, my 2nd and I’m gutted for him more than anything as he likely will never see it again.
His memory isn’t the best either but the memories of going to the game with my dad will live with me forever.

I totally get what’s your saying about it playing on your mind, I keep running the night over in my head thinking……what if? The defeat still very raw for me but with the added emotion realising the man who brought me up a Rangers supporter, going week in/out, just missed out on our greatest triumph by a whisker!:(

Anyone else still waking up each day with their first thought about that final?! What if kent scores what if Conor clears it what if this or that.

That’s almost three weeks and it’s literally my first waking thought still. Getting myself a bit worked up that I can’t put it to bed and get on with the important things. I know myself it will be looked back on fondly and proudly but it is one game I can’t shake off and I’m normally good at switching off and forgetting big losses.

I’m starting to think the new season can’t come quickly enough and we get our Rangers fix again. And I am normally one who enjoys the break.

Last edited:
Anyone else still waking up each day with their first thought about that final?! What if kent scores what if Conor clears it what if this or that.

That’s almost three weeks and it’s literally my first waking thought still. Getting myself a bit worked up that I can’t put it to bed and get on with the important things. I know myself it will be looked back on fondly and proudly but it is one game I can’t shake off and I’m normally good at switching off and forgetting big losses.

I’m starting to think the new season can’t come quickly enough and we get our Rangers fix again. And I am normally one who enjoys the break.
Me too mate. It will haunt us all for a while I think. Can’t wait to get the footy back!

I said on another thread that I fully believe if we get to CL and drop out as 3rd into EL I can see us going all the way again.
A fit Morelos, 2 or 3 decent quality signings and a bit of luck and there’s no reason we can’t.
I think I’d prefer that to the CL latter stages as think the last 8 would be our limit (at a push) and there’s no prizes there.

Anyone watched it?

It is a fantastic document of the final.

Ramsey...

Dougie Park is absolutley gutted at the trophy presentation, as we all were/are.

So close. We go again, get that Zadok music playing boys.
Yeah its an amazing account of the day.

Me too mate. It will haunt us all for a while I think. Can’t wait to get the footy back!

I said on another thread that I fully believe if we get to CL and drop out as 3rd into EL I can see us going all the way again.
A fit Morelos, 2 or 3 decent quality signings and a bit of luck and there’s no reason we can’t.
I think I’d prefer that to the CL latter stages as think the last 8 would be our limit (at a push) and there’s no prizes there.
I’ve accepted another final won’t happen in my lifetime mate. I hope my wee boy will see it again. Given how hard they are to win an actual final, there’s no guarantees. 1 in 5 for us now. And thank god for that 1 in 72. Was astonished to see that was Romas first European trophy as well. Shows how difficult it really is.

I agree but as Rangers we should always want to qualify for the CL and then push into the last 16 as one of the top 2 in a group. One game at a time. Sometimes you can get hit with a ridiculously hard group in CL.

That's what would have made the Europa league win so good also, getting into Pot 1 for the CL

Yeah its an amazing account of the day.
I’d like to see one done of the whole road to Seville. It has the makings of a great football story. Get it out on dvd for older bears. The run deserves to be remembered. As I said above in the thread we won’t go down the road of a Seville wall and hospitality suite and a play, but a film is a must. It would be a great shame if we don’t document the positives and amazing run.

Back