The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Stoke left back looks exactly what you’re after in that position for us.

As for accounts. The way I see it is.
Europa league group stage means break even

Anything after Christmas plus player sales is profit.

The Ashley cash, however much or little, is the fly in the ointment.

Quick gossip survey (because I`m a bit lazy today) ...

Crystal Palace are considering a move for 25-year-old Rangers and Nigeria midfielder Joe Aribo. (The Athletic)

Rangers are targeting Stoke City's £5m-rated Josh Tymon, but they will have to wait to either sell Borna Barisic or qualify for the Champions League group stage to fund a move for the 23-year-old left-back. (Scottish Sun On Sunday)

Newly-promoted Nottingham Forest look likely to pip Rangers to the signing of Blackburn Rovers midfielder Joe Rothwell, with the 27-year-old out of contract this summer. (Sunday Post, print edition)

Colombian striker Mateo Cassierra, linked with a move to Rangers this summer, says there are "possibilities" with the Ibrox club and that his priority is to stay in Europe as he prepares to leave Russian side Sochi. (Daily Record)

The Stoke left back looks exactly what you’re after in that position for us.

As for accounts. The way I see it is.
Europa league group stage means break even

Anything after Christmas plus player sales is profit.

The Ashley cash, however much or little, is the fly in the ointment.
I thought at our AGM we needed £7m loans to see out the season? We knew about being in Europe after Christmas, and also about the Gerrard compensation at that stage.

So then it’s the Patterson deal (which won’t all be up front) and europa league over the last 32, less that £7m, Ramsay/Dialo/Sands, operating costs, Goldson wages and Arfield/Davis.

I can’t see how we can have needed £7m to keep the lights on 6 months ago, to now having paid that back and having a war chest?

I thought at our AGM we needed £7m loans to see out the season? We knew about being in Europe after Christmas, and also about the Gerrard compensation at that stage.

So then it’s the Patterson deal (which won’t all be up front) and europa league over the last 32, less that £7m, Ramsay/Dialo/Sands, operating costs, Goldson wages and Arfield/Davis.

I can’t see how we can have needed £7m to keep the lights on 6 months ago, to now having paid that back and having a war chest?
You may be right about the shortfall until summer but I don’t think the European monies get paid til end of season.

I like Aribo he will be a big miss for us he takes the ball in tight dangerous situations and something that gets overlooked he wins the ball back a ridiculous amount of times for us.

10m in the last year is a no brainier but I hope we can get him tied down to a new deal like Goldson as I think he is getting better and more consistent every season.

It’s clear our finances are a lot worse than many understand them to be. There’s been talk about being back on an even keel in the near future etc but it seems like that’s a while away yet.

The worrying thing is that this seems to be the case despite receiving £16m for Patterson and having had 3 consecutive EL runs past Christmas. God knows where we’d be without the money accumulated from the above.

God knows how we overcome this and get back to a way in which we can operate more effectively in the transfer market but we need to find a way. We can’t keep scraping about the barrel signing projects like Sakala (whilst ignoring quality like Skov Olsen) and hoping they’ll come good. We have to find a way to be able to spend money on genuine quality if we want to win consistently domestically.

Why are posters using last year's accounts as the benchmark? Those accounts are Covid influenced. They are an anomaly. Best to compare to pre-covid accounts when were losing 16 million a season but spending close to 10 million in transfer fees. It was also pre-Castore. It was also before Bisgrove reportedly doubling our commercial income.

Any outstanding transfer fees, infrastructure, maintenance etc. would have been planned for well in advance of the statement we would be working at breakeven this upcoming financial year. I get that we have the 13 million loan to repay as we go forward, but that still should leave a chunk available to spend on upgrading the squad.

If you are sitting still, you are going backwards. That is true for any team in any sport. If that means we also sell players to make room for incoming transfers, then that is what we have to do. We cannot simply maintain the status quo just because this squad won us a league and got us to a European Final. Time wont stand still. Morelos, Kent, Aribo and Helander. If we aren't selling at least two and extending the other two then we are not doing it right.

The same squad seeing the same teams 4 to 6 times a season needs churned if you want to keep them motivated, interested, focused or whatever way you want to describe it.

I am hoping for a fresh breath of air this summer after a torrid couple of seasons.

You may be right about the shortfall until summer but I don’t think the European monies get paid til end of season.
I’m just going by the previous years - we made a 17m loss when we reached the last 32, then a 27m loss when we reached the last 16. Parks has said it will be 2025 until we become self sufficient so I can’t see how one run to the final will have reversed a £27m loss

It’s clear our finances are a lot worse than many understand them to be. There’s been talk about being back on an even keel in the near future etc but it seems like that’s a while away yet.

The worrying thing is that this seems to be the case despite receiving £16m for Patterson and having had 3 consecutive EL runs past Christmas. God knows where we’d be without the money accumulated from the above.

God knows how we overcome this and get back to a way in which we can operate more effectively in the transfer market but we need to find a way. We can’t keep scraping about the barrel signing projects like Sakala (whilst ignoring quality like Skov Olsen) and hoping they’ll come good. We have to find a way to be able to spend money on genuine quality if we want to win consistently domestically.
Why is it clear? What do you know that Stewart Robertson doesn't?

Why is it clear? What do you know that Stewart Robertson doesn't?
The fact we’re seemingly continuing to shop in the bargain basement and not being able to spend much on players. Hope I’m wrong and we spend £15/20m this summer to improve the squad but it’s not looking likely going by press reports such as Jordan Campbell’s.

I’d imagine the signings of Roofe, Hagi etc and maybe even before have been heavily balanced in future payments. There have also been a lot of loans to pay of as well as legal costs. Say for example we have settled all old transfer debts, outstanding litigations and high interest loans we could be looking at a place of being self sufficient in a few years.

The model should then be base our spending on European group stage football. If that doesn’t happen then we sell someone to cover the deficit. I actually think this years accounts will look very good, but coming from a 24 month loss of £43m a low single figure loss would be great! I suspect it may actually just nudge the positive.

The problem we've had is we let Gerrard go his full time here without selling a player whilst continually adding to the wage bill which we know was £33m last season. If we want to have a transfer model of buy low sell high we can't go 3 years with no sale. Every summer we should be looking to move at least 1 on like that lot across the city do every year.

The transfer model we want to use is where projects like Sakala come in and if we want to buy someone like Skov-Olsen then it's clear we have a wage structure that he would have to fit into. The Patterson/Gerrard cash keeps getting mentioned but some of that would have funded the loan deals for the 3 we brought in in January plus the £500k for Zukowski.

The fact we’re seemingly continuing to shop in the bargain basement and not being able to spend much on players. Hope I’m wrong and we spend £15/20m this summer to improve the squad but it’s not looking likely going by press reports such as Jordan Campbell’s.
We aren't spending £20m this summer, nor do we need to.

Quick gossip survey (because I`m a bit lazy today) ...

Crystal Palace are considering a move for 25-year-old Rangers and Nigeria midfielder Joe Aribo. (The Athletic)

Rangers are targeting Stoke City's £5m-rated Josh Tymon, but they will have to wait to either sell Borna Barisic or qualify for the Champions League group stage to fund a move for the 23-year-old left-back. (Scottish Sun On Sunday)

Newly-promoted Nottingham Forest look likely to pip Rangers to the signing of Blackburn Rovers midfielder Joe Rothwell, with the 27-year-old out of contract this summer. (Sunday Post, print edition)

Colombian striker Mateo Cassierra, linked with a move to Rangers this summer, says there are "possibilities" with the Ibrox club and that his priority is to stay in Europe as he prepares to leave Russian side Sochi. (Daily Record)

Here's the Athletic link (Jordan Campbell)

The futures of Aribo, Kent and Morelos are especially delicate this summer given this is the last window Rangers can get a big fee for them before their contracts expire next summer.

It is understood there is serious interest from Crystal Palace in Aribo, who is deemed to suit what they are building in his home of south London, but Morelos may be open to prolonging his stay as long as the terms are not prohibitive for Rangers.

We didn’t receive £16m for Patterson.

It was around £11m with the rest in add-ons.

The problem we've had is we let Gerrard go his full time here without selling a player whilst continually adding to the wage bill which we know was £33m last season. If we want to have a transfer model of buy low sell high we can't go 3 years with no sale. Every summer we should be looking to move at least 1 on like that lot across the city do every year.

The transfer model we want to use is where projects like Sakala come in and if we want to buy someone like Skov-Olsen then it's clear we have a wage structure that he would have to fit into. The Patterson/Gerrard cash keeps getting mentioned but some of that would have funded the loan deals for the 3 we brought in in January plus the £500k for Zukowski.
The Gerrard cash was known about when we needed £7.5m to see out this season and £0.4m to see our next. Like you say some of the Patterson cash will have been up front but much of it is probably over a longer period, and your correct some will have gone on our January dealings.

The way I look at it, Parks said 6 months ago that with Covid and everything included, we are looking to break even in a self sustainable model by 2025. This was before the euro final and Bassey becoming a £25m player. I’d like to think that can be brought forward by a year or two, but to think it’s been brought forward 3 years in 6 months is not realistic.

And when he has clearly said the model he is going for is to be self sufficient by 2025 he’s not just about to throw that out and spend £15-20m this summer just to appease some fans.

Why is that clear?

We’ve not dipped out toes in the transfer market this season, surely it would be better to wait for the accounts and/or the end of the transfer window (which hasn’t opened yet).

My opinion, we have comfortably broken even this year but mass or considerable profits will be based on sales.

I’m just going by the previous years - we made a 17m loss when we reached the last 32, then a 27m loss when we reached the last 16. Parks has said it will be 2025 until we become self sufficient so I can’t see how one run to the final will have reversed a £27m loss
I'm sure a board member said we would be self sufficient by next season at last AGM

Shop in the bargain basement expect more mediocre signings our transfer policy has to change our last three windows in particular have been extremely poor.

Our player trading model though should be well in place by now we should be reasonably looking at moving on one or two assets every summer with good replacements lined up and banking a profit.

If we can't bring in quality this summer and look to move assets on then again you have to sensibly look at Ross Wilson position and our recruitment staff.

The Gerrard cash was known about when we needed £7.5m to see out this season and £0.4m to see our next. Like you say some of the Patterson cash will have been up front but much of it is probably over a longer period, and your correct some will have gone on our January dealings.

The way I look at it, Parks said 6 months ago that with Covid and everything included, we are looking to break even in a self sustainable model by 2025. This was before the euro final and Bassey becoming a £25m player. I’d like to think that can be brought forward by a year or two, but to think it’s been brought forward 3 years in 6 months is not realistic.

And when he has clearly said the model he is going for is to be self sufficient by 2025 he’s not just about to throw that out and spend £15-20m this summer just to appease some fans.
It was 12m up front for Patterson.

You could bring in 2/3 attackers and transform our frontline with £10 million.

RW CAM ST
Only if you get it right.
It's an area we half struggled with recently.
Roofe
Sakala
Itten
?
Good player for RW circa 7m like Kent and we are good to go on front 3.

Yes I'd like a upcoming young star as a 3rd striker, but that depends on availability and talent.

Disagree. We need 3/4 starters and they need to be genuine quality, not projects at 500k(ish).
That simply isn’t happening unless we sell one of our big assets.

I personally think a couple of first 11 starters plus another couple of loan deals would be sufficient.

But 1 of those first 11 starters could be a Lundstram style Bosman.

Those press reports know absolutely nothing about our finances. He's guessing like the rest of us.

Even if we had tens of millions to spend, do you think anyone, except a certain few within the club, would know about it?

The 'bargain basement' is just where we'll be for the foreseeable future, but that doesn't mean we're skint. Our proposed model is buy low, sell high. That said, I wouldn't rule out us paying a 'Kent-like' transfer fee in this window if the right player became available.

Only if you get it right.
It's an area we half struggled with recently.
Roofe
Sakala
Itten
?
Good player for RW circa 7m like Kent and we are good to go on front 3.

Yes I'd like a upcoming young star as a 3rd striker, but that depends on availability and talent.
We need a quality RW but our squad options as back up don't fill me with any confidence.

Wright and Sakala for me aren't good enough long term as back up options and for me we definitely need that 3rd striker who is robust and can make an impact when needed.

I would like to see this squad kept together. Bassey,Kent,Morelos and Aribo all to sign new deals would be my ideal situation.
There are others I would sell in order to strengthen the first team.
I am not sure where Kamara fits in Gios system.
We have plenty attacking midfielders in Arfield, Aribo and Lowry. If the interest in Hagi is genuine, he would be my choice to sell.
Katic,Helander, Roofe,Simpson, Kelly,Middleton, Barisic and Mayo could all be moved on. One or two might impress in pre season and come back into contention for a first team place.
With a minimum of Europa League Group Stages,we are in a good place.

I'm sure a board member said we would be self sufficient by next season at last AGM
I didn’t hear that. I was just remembering Park saying that the “10 year plan” was definitely correct and we would be on a stable grounding by 2025. I suppose part of that must be we can expect to get really far in Europe every year. For what it’s worth I do think we will post a profit this year (just) which when compared to where we were is an incredible achievement.

The solution is fairly simple. We need to stop coveting players and sell them at their peak form.

£20m plus for Bassey, £10m for Aribo. Spend £10-£15m

We should have started this with Morelos a few seasons ago and we absolutely should have done this with Kamara last season. If the rumoured interest was correct.

This has to happen until the business is trading solvently. Problem being now that we either invest this season or risk stagnation and not progressing in the EL.

So because Celtic did it it is okay for us to do? Can’t really compare us to a country owned by a state as outgoing player trading isn’t really important to them and they can also blow all other competitors out of the way to renew him
I mention Celtic because the poster mentioned them. arguably it’s worse that it happened PSG.

Disagree. We need 3/4 starters and they need to be genuine quality, not projects at 500k(ish).
I think we need to get the idea that we won't make project signings out of our heads it's the project signings that can make you the big bucks along with youth prospects if done right think about how much Bassey is worth in comparison to how much he was when we got him

I could see Butland coming as part of the deal if Aribo goes to Palace.

That's if their interest is legit.

Butland coming our way should actually increase how much Palace have to pay for Aribo - he was poor for Stoke in the Championship in his last season of playing regular first team football, and hasn't shown Palace anything to convince them he can be number one. Being called by England at a young age doesn't mean he's a top player.

We need a quality RW but our squad options as back up don't fill me with any confidence.

Wright and Sakala for me aren't good enough long term as back up options and for me we definitely need that 3rd striker who is robust and can make an impact when needed.
I agree completely.
We just need to wait and see

Shop in the bargain basement expect more mediocre signings our transfer policy has to change our last three windows in particular have been extremely poor.

Our player trading model though should be well in place by now we should be reasonably looking at moving on one or two assets every summer with good replacements lined up and banking a profit.

If we can't bring in quality this summer and look to move assets on then again you have to sensibly look at Ross Wilson position and our recruitment staff.
Yeah cause the bargain basement of Tav, Bassey, Lundstram, Aribo, Kamara, Wright, Alfie has done us badly so far?

Compare that to when we’ve spent big money on those cracking players like Peña, Barton, Grezda…

How we overcome it is selling players when they are at their peak value to us. We got away with Goldson given he eventually signed a new deal but we can't continually go down the road of letting our most valuable assets run down contracts and walk for nothing. 24 months out we should be assessing any offers on the table seriously, by 12 months from the end of a contract if there is no likelihood of an extension we should be prioritising moving players on.

Celtic have done this for years and given that the finances they get in terms of other sources of income are fairly similar to ours that's the model we need to adopt.

That's part of the reason why I can't agree with folk saying they'd turn down £20-odd million for Bassey this summer, I like the player but we can't turn down crazy offers like that when he'll potentially be worth a whole lot less next summer regardless of how he performs given he'll have a year left on his deal then assuming he doesn't sign an extension.

Encouraged by being linked to Tymon & Butland as I think they would be good signings and strangely would represent good value from the English market which is no mean feat.

If we got them both in early doors and extended the contracts of Kent & Morelos it would put me at ease for the rest of the window for us to identify a RW and possibly a striker, which would tie up a pretty good window in my opinion.

Long way to go though!

The solution is fairly simple. We need to stop coveting players and sell them at their peak form.

£20m plus for Bassey, £10m for Aribo. Spend £10-£15m

We should have started this with Morelos a few seasons ago and we absolutely should have done this with Kamara last season. If the rumoured interest was correct.

This has to happen until the business is trading solvently. Problem being now that we either invest this season or risk stagnation and not progressing in the EL.
Can’t disagree with you. Sell 2 players for total £20-£25m, bank £10-£15 and spend the £10 on 2 or 3 new players. Hope that at least one of those is a big success, one is cost neutral and the other we can afford to write off if they don’t perform. Personally I think having all of Kamara, Aribo and Kent is a luxury we don’t necessarily need and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Seemingly.

You, or I, have absolutely no idea where we are shopping.

Stop making up nonsense.

Katic,Helander, Roofe,Simpson, Kelly,Middleton, Barisic and Mayo could all be moved on. One or two might impress in pre season and come back into contention for a first team place.
None of them will impress, for various reasons, and all have had their chances.

The problem simply is clubs won’t match their wages and additionally for the youth or flop players won’t want to pay a fee.

Rangers have always struggled badly to move players on who aren’t good enough and it’s the same reasons now as previous years.

So not as straight forward as saying move them on.

If it were, they’d be long gone by now.

For what it's worth that daft Facebook page Rangers Noise are saying 20-million plus Gilmour for Bassy.

That page also said the day or so before Goldson signed on again that he was 100% away etc.

then banned me from commenting when I pointed it out lol.

So, like all Rangers pages they're full of absolute shite - but thought I'd share regardless.

I wish there was a way to block that page

Wright and Sakala are adequate for back up. Can't expect the club to spend our limited resources on players that are bought as "backup".

Encouraged by being linked to Tymon & Butland as I think they would be good signings and strangely would represent good value from the English market which is no mean feat.

If we got them both in early doors and extended the contracts of Kent & Morelos it would put me at ease for the rest of the window for us to identify a RW and possibly a striker, which would tie up a pretty good window in my opinion.

Long way to go though!
Ironically it would actually make me more concerned! I’ve said I didn’t think we needed players for these positions, now if Tymon was cost neutral replacement for Barisic for example then fine. But Butland isn’t even as good as McGregor far less McLaughlin, and has no sell on value! He’s exactly the type of signings we should not be making.

Tymon is a cracking player. Can’t see him coming unless Bassey leaves though, or he’s told Bassey will leave soon and he’s our left back after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back