Match Thread Republic of Ireland 3-0 Scotland - Post Match Discussion

Well there's been plenty of embarrassing Scotland performances over the years - but that has to be up there

Listening to the utter $hite spouted before kick-off about what an outstanding high quality manager Clarke is - has to be among one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard - even allowing for Premier Sports poor punditry

The selection, formation, set-up &/or available players should have - at the very least - been capable of 'sitting' on the opposition & grinding out a draw - even if if the attack weren't likely to score

As it was, a relatively average opposition - basically ran rings round us

The tartan smarmy couldn't blame Rangers players for that fiasco (although they'll probably find some way of making us the culprits)

We'll probably scrape a couple of draws in this group - or get just enough points for another slightly close finish -
or just enough to raise unrealistic & undeserved hopes - qualification might just be possible -
or if we do actually qualify our main hope becomes avoiding total embarrassment

In other words same old same old - different year - different tournament
(As you can probably tell - Ive had nearly 60 years of this shit )

I know I shouldn't give a flying phuck - & for the most part I don't - but I found myself wanting this result today

Anyway - allowing for all the above negativity - are we ever going to get a management team worthy of the actual name ???
Are we ever going to get someone in charge who actually understands tactics ??
Who can adapt to inferior - as well as superior opponents??
Why has it become a pipe-dream ?

I realise Klopp must rate Robertson and could replace him with almost literally any left back in the world if he wanted to, but I think he’s a weak link in that Liverpool team.
Poor deliveries, getting caught out defensively, and Sadio Mane has helped him to look a lot better than he is. What I’ve seen of Tsimikas suggests he would be a better long term option for them.
He always gets targeted when they play the big teams in the champions league, it’s quite noticeable… playing with better players certainly has made him look better..

I'm not exactly Mr Avid Scotland fan however I did watch and that was one of the most embarrassing surrenders I've seen from any Scotland team, made worse by the fact they are supposed to be a team on the up.

The only plus is that surely our media will finally stop giving Clarke an easy ride of it?

Loses comfortably his biggest match yet v Ukraine then is humiliated a week later against a team he should be beating,

The SFA take an age to act on anything. No chance he gets the sack until he's ruined this campaign, the Euros qualifying campaign and maybe the start of the next one after that as well.

I realise Klopp must rate Robertson and could replace him with almost literally any left back in the world if he wanted to, but I think he’s a weak link in that Liverpool team.
Poor deliveries, getting caught out defensively, and Sadio Mane has helped him to look a lot better than he is. What I’ve seen of Tsimikas suggests he would be a better long term option for them.
For arguements sake and comparison.

If you were to put Bassey into left back in that Scotland team, instead of Robertson, who would be the better player? It wouldn't be Robertson.

I get that he fits into Liverpools system and does a job for them, but as an individual he is vastly over rated and quite limited.

There are good players in that squad

A good manager could probably put them together in a formation and style that works.

Clark is a fuckin dinosaur.

Ryan Christie wouldnt get a game for my 5’s team never mind Scotland. He has stsrted the last two games

He’s got the personality of a traffic cone … I don’t hate the guy, I just laugh at the idiots who think he is doing a good job….

There are good players in that squad

A good manager could probably put them together in a formation and style that works.

Clark is a fuckin dinosaur.

Ryan Christie wouldnt get a game for my 5’s team never mind Scotland. He has stsrted the last two games
It's all about opinions, but I think Christie is a decent player, McInnes got the best out of him at Aberdeen, he really did. Clarke doesn't have a clue how to set the team up.

Scotland got pumped by a team of EFL Players, Shane Duffy & the Liverpool backup keeper.

A sacking offence

I expected that southern ireland would be up for it. It’s always been like this, even back to 1960, these games have been more important to the south than us. It truly, for them, ideologically, goes back to ’prod v tim’ attitude. It’s still the case today.

Clarke needs the boot. Scotland will be in a real danger of not qualifying for the 2024 euros if he's in charge of the qualifying campaign. A manager who values grafters above technicians and if a team can match Scotland's work rate like the Irish did today there's not much to Scotland tactically. Too many players preferred who while capable of some brilliant moments are equally if not more likely to struggle with the basics.

He needs to walk as the sfa can’t afford to sack him , ergo he won’t be going anywhere as he will be practically unemployable

I gave up on Scotland many moons ago ,but still hope they win ,I found myself watching that abomination as I was at a loose end , I was genuinely shocked that ,Rylstone, Hanley, McKenna, McTominey and McGinn get international caps , absolutely bemusing .

It's all about opinions, but I think Christie is a decent player, McInnes got the best out of him at Aberdeen, he really did. Clarke doesn't have a clue how to set the team up.
I fully respect your opinion mate but nothing us changing my opinion on Ryan Christie. He was shite against Armenia. And he starts against ROI.

I would go as far as to say I can remember ome good game hes had and that was away to Serbia. One good game. And he is starting time after time. Hes pish.

Hanley?

Ralston? (granted he had one ir two moments going forward but hes at fault for the second)

3 at the back

Robertson as a wing back? Hes a left back in arguably the best team in the world.

SFA should be bold and go and appoint a young manager with modern ideas.

Look at how successful Gio was in Europe with a bit of tactical know how

Walking down the road I passed loads of Scotland/ Ireland fans who seemed rather happy at the result. :rolleyes:
I can read these c.unts like a Beano.

Most, if not all Plastics have little or no interest in Scotland.

It's all about breaking up the country they despise.
They hate the UK (England in particular) far more than they love Ireland or Scotland

I think we all agree Clarke is not good enough to be a national team coach.

But would do Scotland bring in who is good enough and would take the gig
I think we’d all agree that finding a new coach might not be easy but, you’ve got to look at the possibilities.
Find out who’d be prepared to take the job.
I know the candidates won’t be blue chip but you might get an up and coming guy prepared to give it a go.
One thing for absolute certain is that we cannot keep doing the same same over and over and expect a different outcome.

Thanks Scotland! Hate the Republic Of Ireland and Scotland have now given them a lifeline to improve as they have been atrocious recently.

I never want the ROI to win as I am a Northern Ireland supporter first and foremost (we are poor too just now) but I also support Scotland. Recently when teams from the British Isles play each other it is a draw or a single goal loss to one team.

To lose 3 v 0 to that should be a sacking offence or resignation for Clarke.

I think we’d all agree that finding a new coach might not be easy but, you’ve got to look at the possibilities.
Find out who’d be prepared to take the job.
I know the candidates won’t be blue chip but you might get an up and coming guy prepared to give it a go.
One thing for absolute certain is that we cannot keep doing the same same over and over and expect a different outcome.
Yeah. The tendancy in the past has been to go for a grizzled old pro regardless of quality. Maybe it's time to see if any of the young and hungry coaches fancy they job.

Or put another way I can't think of any grizzled old Scottish pros who are good enough

Back