Match Thread Republic of Ireland 3-0 Scotland - Post Match Discussion

First Scotland game I’ve watched in many a year. You couldn’t put a decent 11 out of both sides combined absolutely dire standard of football and what is the point to these games anyway? They’re better not bothering.
We have the players to put out a good starting 11. However we do not have a good manager to do that.

Or having at least a couple of long unbeaten runs and qualifying for a first tournament since Adam (no, not our Charlie) was a boy.

Nah but its definitely that Rangers thing.
Its obviously not, but the guy is hopeless. The one crowing achievement of that one tournament was a nil, nil draw with England. Amazing stuff.

Its obviously not, but the guy is hopeless. The one crowing achievement of that one tournament was a nil, nil draw with England. Amazing stuff.
That is true. We were a major let-down at the tournament. But at least we were there I guess...? Trying to be positive.

That is true. We were a major let-down at the tournament. But at least we were there I guess...? Trying to be positive.
I suppose that's how low the Scottish national team has came in the last 20 plus year. One time it was no question Scotland would qualify.

Surely he gets the sack now, on a poor run of results and getting gubbed by a very poor ROI team
It was 2 very poor teams. Scotland have been poor for a very long time.

The squad is mainly average players and to me it shows in the results. They've played 3 teams from central/eastern europe, who are by no means at their best, but easily brushed scotland aside at hampden.

Sorry, but the rot set in at the world cup in 98 and has went downhill ever since. They really shouldn't have been at the last euro's and their performance at that tournament proved as much.

I'm not going to praise or defend the players performance tonight or the other night against Ukraine

But IMO they're more than capable of defending against either opponent

Any team - no matter how talented or poor - needs to play to a system & formation that both maximises their strengths & minimises their weaknesses - while utilising tactics that deal with the oppositions strengths & weaknesses

Seems to me that Clarke's organisational, motivational & tactical strengths are difficult to spot
Clarke has no strengths , neither tactical , or organizing or setting up a team.The man is a Dinosaur like the rest of the SFA or the clowns at the SPL.

Yet you defend the failure of a manager
Yeah. I just don't feel I've given up on him yet. Maybe the qualification gives him a bit of credit in the bank for me. Although a lot of that was down to the much-maligned hero that is Big Eck.

Yeah. I just don't feel I've given up on him yet. Maybe the qualification gives him a bit of credit in the bank for me. Although a lot of that was down to the much-maligned hero that is Big Eck.
The qualification was 2 draws and the luck of penalties. Then an embarrassing Euros.

He is the only manager in our history who has had it this easy to qualify thanks to the Nations League and looks like he will fail this time round

Well Scottish media that's what you get for spending the last 4 days lauding a 2 goal victory against the football powerhouse Armenia and convincing yourselves Ralston is an international level player.
They creamed themselves over a 0-0 win against England like we had got one over them while they carried on and got to the final.

You are correct , if the pressure from the media or the tartan army on Clarke becomes to much for the SFA , they will appoint Malky as the new saviour .
As horrific as it sounds Mackay would probably do a better job and play better football. Look at what he done with that Ross County team this season and they actually played attacking football

The qualification was 2 draws and the luck of penalties. Then an embarrassing Euros.

He is the only manager in our history who has had it this easy to qualify thanks to the Nations League and looks like he will fail this time round
Sadly, I think you're right. We should have been beating that sh*te tonight. I'm over the back 5 thing too.

Sadly, I think you're right. We should have been beating that sh*te tonight. I'm over the back 5 thing too.
The back 3 was brought in to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the same team which actually seemed to work because Tierney overlaps and attacks. When Tierney isn’t fit it has never worked yet Clarke sticks with it. Tierney has also shown to be miles better than Robertson at LB for Scotland yet Robertson is never dropped. He is Captain because he is the “big name” and plays for Liverpool pure and simple

Then he picks a squad with 4 goalkeepers and zero wingers.

“But but but Clarke doesn’t play with wingers!”

Well surely any half decent manager wants a different option on the bench to change things when it’s not working as has happened in the last few games.

How Scott Wright isn’t in that squad is beyond me. Needs to play it safe though incase 3 keepers get injured the night before a game.

Jakey prick

Only reason I know is David Marshall signed and gave my son his match worn top from the Slovakia game last year and it has both flags on it.

My boys a keeper so he was buzzing.
Shows how much attention I've paid to the national team in recent years.

Nice souvenir right enough!

The back 3 was brought in to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the same team which actually seemed to work because Tierney overlaps and attacks. When Tierney isn’t fit it has never worked yet Clarke sticks with it. Tierney has also shown to be miles better than Robertson at LB for Scotland yet Robertson is never dropped. He is Captain because he is the “big name” and plays for Liverpool pure and simple

Then he picks a squad with 4 goalkeepers and zero wingers.

“But but but Clarke doesn’t play with wingers!”

Well surely any half decent manager wants a different option on the bench to change things when it’s not working as has happened in the last few games.

How Scott Wright isn’t in that squad is beyond me. Needs to play it safe though incase 3 keepers get injured the night before a game.

Jakey prick
Agree with all of that. Would like to see a wee tactical change or surprise at times

Shows how much attention I've paid to the national team in recent years.

Nice souvenir right enough!
Aye the Mrs knows his wife and asked her if he could sign my sons gloves but next time she went to her house he was already away back down south but had left that Shirt signed for him which was much better.

The mrs said to me “it’s dirty, you would think he would have washed it FFS”

Aye that’s how match worn strips work hen :))

His Morinhoesque change at halftime was to put a midfielder in McTominay back into defence which has been a distaster every other time he has played there
Another thing I'm sick of seeing. Not doing the team or the player any favours there!

labo1vohd1591.png

Or having at least a couple of long unbeaten runs and qualifying for a first tournament since Adam (no, not our Charlie) was a boy.

Nah but its definitely that Rangers thing.
Alex McLeish can be awarded a lot of credit for a recent, rare qualification.
And what teams where the unbeaten runs against?
I would imagine those runs contained teams low in the rankings.

It was 2 very poor teams. Scotland have been poor for a very long time.

The squad is mainly average players and to me it shows in the results. They've played 3 teams from central/eastern europe, who are by no means at their best, but easily brushed scotland aside at hampden.

Sorry, but the rot set in at the world cup in 98 and has went downhill ever since. They really shouldn't have been at the last euro's and their performance at that tournament proved as much.
Correct.

Clarke has no idea what his best team is ! We are toothless up front yet he persists with Adams, change at the back , why take out Souter ? If you were taking anyone out that back 3 it should have been Hendry ! I’m of the opinion he’s being found out….at last !!! Time to go.

Aye the Mrs knows his wife and asked her if he could sign my sons gloves but next time she went to her house he was already away back down south but had left that Shirt signed for him which was much better.

The mrs said to me “it’s dirty, you would think he would have washed it FFS”

Aye that’s how match worn strips work hen :))

Ive got a Rangers' shirt that was signed by Gazza, Laudrop and the rest. I washed it and wore it a few times. No signatures left now. Have to say the signatures were of little interest to me.

Listening to Clarkes press conference. All the questions about the players and all he mentions is the players. Nothing about his poor team selections, formation, tactics etc
He is the master at deflection.
He always has been.

And truthfully.

He somehow put a spell over the media, when he came back to Scotland.
So much so, he couldn't do.
Any.Wrong.

His Killie team were difficult to beat.
But I don't think that was anything to do with him.Tactically.

It 's just that most decent teams could never play properly.
On that artificial crap they laughing called astroturf?

Maybe now, some.
Probably still only the minority ...will see him for what he really is.

Time's up!

I've seen the "Feck the Jubilee" video of the Jacobite contingent and their SF pals from Dublin today.

Personally, as a twice attendee at Wembley following Scotland back in the day, I feel I no longer have anything in common with the average kilt and Caterpillar boot wearing, Jacobite wannabe wankers, who seem to be prevalent amongst the "Tartan Army".

How things have changed, well done Nippy.
The video shows a small percentage singing that. The vast majority don’t want a split, it’ll be made up of the 19th Century Terrorists trying to bastardise our national team in the same way that their club football is.
They have the media and football authorities which is giving us a false perspective.

A shocking performance and the buck stops at Clarke.

Every big game he loses,to play one up when chasing the game at 0-2 is criminal,he took off Hendry at half time and brought on Gilmour then pulled McTominay back in defence which was absolutely pointless when we had Souttar on the bench.

Wright should also be in that team,the guy's ( Clarke } a coward,we've got some decent players in Scotland however Clarke's a joke and one of our worst ever managers.

The SFA need to sort it out.

The sooner the alky is out the better. Sick of him playing his favourite wee rhabids no matter how badly they play.

The only good thing he’s done ever is dropping his wee lackey O’Donnell but then he fucked it as he always does and went and replaced him with fuckin Ralston.

Back