The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo had just finished a season in the championship and played very well by all accounts so to extend his contract and loan him to a premier league club to see if he can make the step up makes sense

Does it though? Even if he does well for Kilmarnock is he ever going to break into our team at 24? Highly doubt it.

Thought this was an interesting bit in the Rangers Review report on Čolak, from his manager at PAOK:

“Antonio gives 150 per cent to training and to games,” said PAOK boss Razvan Lucescu. “It makes no difference to him whether he starts or comes on as a sub, his work rate is the same. He is one of the most hard-working players I have ever been involved with.”

Maybe not as lazy as previously advertised.

When you see how much that lot got for eduoard and ajer in the last year of their contracts then we should be be expecting the same. Dunno why people value or players so low. Morelos is just about to head into his prime years so anything less than £15m is unacceptable
They had £40m in the bank and paid £9m for OE - it would've been less embarrassing to let his contract run down in his situation.

Our benchmarks should be what we paid & what we feel is acceptable relative to each player's circumstance.

There are circumstances that could arise with player, agent & bidding clubs that could make getting the kind of fees some are talking about challenging.

We got him in on loan from Aberdeen and he made 15 starts in the league so he started about 40% of our league games at right back in a season where we won the league.

Whether you like it or not, or whether or not you like him as a player or a person, that's still a contribution.

Again, I never said Itten single-handedly won us the title or even that he was one of our best players of the campaign just as nobody would ever say that about Foster.

Imagine being so stubborn that you can't just accept that Itten contributed to 55? Everyone talking about how the game against Motherwell in December was so pivotal and you are desperately trying to avoid mentioning the guy who scored the 2nd goal. Haha.
That was a massive goal Vs Motherwell. Itten hasn’t worked out, but he did contribute sligjtly that year. Roofe was brilliant for the season of 55, but has now served his purpose and time to move on.

Thought this was an interesting bit in the Rangers Review report on Čolak, from his manager at PAOK:

“Antonio gives 150 per cent to training and to games,” said PAOK boss Razvan Lucescu. “It makes no difference to him whether he starts or comes on as a sub, his work rate is the same. He is one of the most hard-working players I have ever been involved with.”

If true that’s exactly what you need from a 2nd or 3rd striker.
I hope we get him

Reactions: Egt
What's the point in renewing guys like this? I've genuinely never understood it.

We kept the likes of Hardie and Barjonas on one year extensions until they were about 22/23 and still classed as "youngsters", despite knowing they'd never really get a game for us.
Think it is just the development fee. Means we will likely bring in some money when they eventually leave.

In Mayo's case, I think the club would like to see how he does a level up. Not beyond the realms he could end up in our squad.

Does it though? Even if he does well for Kilmarnock is he ever going to break into our team at 24? Highly doubt it.
If he does well for Killie we may be able to sell him down south for a few hundred grand next summer.

I quite like the Rangers Review but it seems obvious to me they just call David Graham and he gives them the club line.
In fairness that would generally be considered a good source - obvious pitfall being you will be fed a line that suits the club in amongst the odd bit of genuine info. Must be a fine line trying to decide when to report stuff or not

Well if we let him go now and he does well in our league people be on here saying 'why did we let Mayo go %^*& sake Wilson gtf'

Be good to see if he can make the step up and play a part for us next season with premier league experience behind him

Killie fans are delighted it seems.

One of them was telling me he was excellent against them last season. He got in the Championship Team of the Year Tony.

He’s pacy, has developed physically & is comfortable on the ball.

He’s also a good level headed kid.

Good luck Lewis.

Yes but that doesn't fit with the theme of the thread now does it!

Please think twice before posting positive, clarifying evidence in future. We only deal in hysteria here. Thanks.

Does Mayo have a chance of making it with us? Normally if you're still being loaned out at 22 you'd think no chance, but a centre half can still have plenty of room to learn and develop at that age.

Seems to be very highly rated by Thistle fans.

I seen one of the Malmö fans tweets when he left saying he was basically an ultimate professional and everyone in the squad loves him.

One of them was telling me he was excellent against them last season. He got in the Championship Team of the Year Tony.

Good luck Lewis.
I'm also happy to see our youths go out to other Premiership clubs.

Top flight experience for these players is only a good thing, not to mention strengthening teams vs celtic but weaker vs us. Celtic did it for years.

Think it was a Swedish based member that called him that. I can't comment as I've seen him twice.

Čolak is 187 cm tall which offers him an advantage in the aerial duels, but given his height, he is not slow cause he regularly runs over defenders. Operates as a central attacker, but likes to drift wide to get the ball in half-spaces. Good at receiving a ball with back towards the goal and usually looks for the closest teammate in those situations.

The heat map also backs his movement up. Reports also highlight his movement; What is impressive is that Čolak after passing the ball he always proceeds with his movement, trying to find gaps between lines or open space for his teammates. Situation below shows how he drops deeper to receive the ball and after receiving the ball he plays it on the flank and continues his movement up the field off the ball.

Going through his metrics and looking at his heatmap we can determine that he mostly drifts on the right side. The graph below shows his crossing from the right side of the field.

I like this part; ...doesn’t hesitate to shoot.

Does Mayo have a chance of making it with us? Normally if you're still being loaned out at 22 you'd think no chance, but a centre half can still have plenty of room to learn and develop at that age.

I think we need to look at Calvin Bassey as an example of what can happen to a player to be honest.

22-23 isn’t old, far from it, hopefully he kicks on in the premiership, holds his own then we can make a further decision on young Lewis.

Good luck to him, our fans are too quick to dismiss players of a certain age, any player under 25 should be given time if they’re showing signs of improvement season on season.

There are obvious and clear anomaly's with this - Patterson, Lowry, King who are excelling and improving at a faster rate at a younger age. Doesn’t mean Mayo can’t become a great SPFL level player.

If he has a good season at killie this season and say king helps establish himself this season as one of our cb’s. Next season could go in as having king and Mayo as back up options and if both have shown up well in the premier league then there is no reason not to give them the opportunity.

I'm also happy to see our youths go out to other Premiership clubs.

Top flight experience for these players is only a good thing, not to mention strengthening teams vs celtic but weaker vs us. Celtic did it for years.

It’s a good strategy Gaz.

Hope we do it more as this new batch of quality kids come through.

I think the fact we’ve extended him further suggests we think he could make it with us depending on his progress

Good luck Lewis.
Derek McInnes will be a decent coach for him to work under - no matter what you think of him

Bigger than Sevilla? That would imply a top 4 team in England, or a Bayern. Big difference between splashing £30m on a 30 year old Sadio Mane and similar on a 28 year old Alfredo Morelos after only two seasons in a decent league.
30m is chicken feed to these teams. Maybe bigger is the wrong phrase to use but he could defo go to England or an Atletico after a couple good seasons at that level. Suppose he would need to do the business 1st but if he went to a Seville or the likes I'm sure he would flourish.

I think the fact we’ve extended him further suggests we think he could make it with us depending on his progress

Would love to see him have a great season at Killie. No reason we wont take a look at him further even if it's only as a squad option if he does well there.

The odd poster worrying that we have extended a 22 year olds deal. He could be a 22 year old that’s played zero mens football, that wouldn’t make any sense. He will soon have 90 mens football appearances under his belt, that’s good going for. 22 yo in Scotland these days

The return is good but are the leagues he done well in better than what he would be joining? Is the Greek league a better standard than the 2 he has a good record in and that's why he's struggled to get game time there?

The Greek league is atrocious for attacking football mate. Seen a stat posted earlier about that big Giakoumakis at the scum, he scored 5 goals in 58 games over 4 seasons in Greece - then scored 17 in 29 in Scotland.

Croatian league and Swedish league are very decent.

Re Morelos to Sevilla - few mentioning the power he holds in this deal. If he wants to go we will have to deal.

Granted he appears a matured character compared to 2 years ago, but I'm not sure we could afford to hold out for a wholly unrealistic price* and him not performing as he runs down his deal.

*remembering that Lille apart, the closest we have come to rumoured interest/sale was Porto offering £10m and that was him with 2 years left on his deal.
If we are faced with a derisory £7m oor he runs his contract down we will be taking the £7m.

People who think otherwise are kidding themselves.

Lets hope we get a fairer price.

We got him in on loan from Aberdeen and he made 15 starts in the league so he started about 40% of our league games at right back in a season where we won the league.

Whether you like it or not, or whether or not you like him as a player or a person, that's still a contribution.

Again, I never said Itten single-handedly won us the title or even that he was one of our best players of the campaign just as nobody would ever say that about Foster.

Imagine being so stubborn that you can't just accept that Itten contributed to 55? Everyone talking about how the game against Motherwell in December was so pivotal and you are desperately trying to avoid mentioning the guy who scored the 2nd goal. Haha.
Pointless trying to reason with him mate. His name says it all. I seriously doubt someone called Sirknowitall is ever going to change their opinion or accept they are wrong even if they are proved so. It's a total waste of text and time with him, dt17 etc. They're like the guy down the local that everyone tries to avoid but you always get drawn in by the absolute pish they spout and feel the need to correct them. Then you realise that's exactly what they are after. Better off ignoring them from the off I've learned the hard way. Doesn’t suck the life out your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back