Just one fave ever Ranger and why?

Porrohman

Super Ally , just for who he is and what he achieved as a True Ranger
Bought for an average fee in the 80s in a struggling Rangers team who were dominated by Aberdeen and Dee utd
“Ally , Ally . Get tae %^*& “
We all sung it but he stuck it out and became the
Greatest goal scorer who could score with 2 golden boots on either feet and the glue that kept our club together during some dark times
Super Davie Cooper is very close
But Ally is S T B

Super Ally , just for who he is and what he achieved as a True Ranger
Bought for an average fee in the 80s in a struggling Rangers team who were dominated by Aberdeen and Dee utd
“Ally , Ally . Get tae %^*& “
We all sung it but he stuck it out and became the
Greatest goal scorer who could score with 2 golden boots on either feet and the glue that kept our club together during some dark times
Super Davie Cooper is very close
But Ally is S T B
Davie Cooper. What a pleasure it was to watch him on his day. Born 10 years too early imo.

As a young English boy in late 60's early 70's my favourite footballer was a certain 'William pullar Jardine' - Sandy.
This was cemented on his exclusion in the Germany 74 WC Squad.
Every picture of him in shoot ended up on my bedroom wall.

What a Ranger he became in over 650 games.

To this day I've never held a player in such high regard.

Derek Johnstone. He was brilliant and in my head, he scored every game and sometimes two or three..

Imagine Alex Lowry was only 16 and he plays as centre forward and scores the winning goal in a cup final v Celtic. A few years later and he plays as a central defender and is equally as good. He is the best header of a ball in the UK but can also shoot from 25 yds. You just don't get players like that now.

Personally - Coop.

Couldn't run
Couldn't tackle
Only had one foot.

But - what a player!

John Greig IS the greatest every Ranger though. He has the lot.

In the current team - Tavernier is a Rangers legend the moment he retires.

Davie cooper was my hero growing up and will always be my favourite Rangers player.

Then there’s super ally and sir Walter

But one player who wasn’t with us for long and even then was at the end of his career but we seemed to have a long lasting effect on him and him on us. I give you Ray Wilkins

Probably Super.
Fought his way through a tough spell at start of his Rangers career to be the success and legend that he became.
Players were brought in to replace him yet he still kept going. Injuries he batted away and returned even better.
He was a worthy assistant to Walter and he helped guide the club through some of it's most traumatic times. He wasn't blessed with the same managerial talent as he was when playing the game, however, he stood up when others did walk away. He took the kicks but persevered.
That and the fact I got my hair like his when I was 14, least said about that the better...

Laudrup was my hero and idol but whenever this question comes up I always slide towards Barry Ferguson ( the player ) I just loved him and really hoped he would follow in the John Grieg pathway to a lifelong employee and ambassador of the club.

I’ll say Barry because I don’t read his dribble but growing up he was my favourite player in and done it both average, poor and quality Rangers teams.

After watching the Prime documentary the other night, Willie Waddell. I've always appreciated the Stadium, and his and the efforts of others to bring it about, but the documentary gave an extent to it I had no real idea about previously.

Last edited:
It’s a very tough one that…probably Gazza, massive signing and he delivered ! Boy did he deliver, and loved it. On the shirt I wore program he picked our jersey as his favourite, over his Newcastle jersey !!!

Last edited:
Open thread expecting to write my standard reply of Laudrup as he was my hero at a very impressionable age just as I started to really get into rangers.

But actually it’s Walter. His passing was like a father I didn’t know passing away. Very hard to take and was just overcome with sadness, shock, grief and an awful lot of pride he was our gaffer. A part of my childhood and adulthood died when Walter went for a beer in the bar in the sky.

The 1 player I would have said would have been world class who played for us but for a knee injury would have been Oleg kuznetzov

Durrant. People forget how good he was pre-Simpson.
OR..
Alan McLaren. Often overlooked, but he took care of business. Retired at 27 I think.

Colin Stein

Although I had heroes before him (Eric Caldow, Baxter, Jim Forrest) and after (Coop, Super Ally) big Colin was the main man when I started following Rangers on my own, without adult supervision. I loved the man and had his pictures all over my bedroom in my early teens.

Back