Just one fave ever Ranger and why?

Hard choice as having a solid top 5 however in my era despite him a typical winger when not always running the game it has to be Cooper. He was my idol who I met many times, broke my heart when he passed.
I guess it depends when you were born. I would loved to have seen Baxter playing and he was my Dad’s favourite player along with his pals.

My first ever football match was Rangers vs Dundee United in the League Cup in 1981. Cooper scored the equaliser with a free kick and Redford scored with a chip in the last min. Cooper had me mesmerised and I loved watching him.

McCoist runs a very very close second though. Both players gave us all great memories.

I guess it depends when you were born. I would loved to have seen Baxter playing and he was my Dad’s favourite player along with his pals.

My first ever football match was Rangers vs Dundee United in the League Cup in 1981. Cooper scored the equaliser with a free kick and Redford scored with a chip in the last min. Cooper had me mesmerised and I loved watching him.

McCoist runs a very very close second though. Both players gave us all great memories.
I agree about your your birth date theory,but Baxter and Laudrup are at a slightly different level talent wise to all the rest,just my opinion mind.

Super Ally , just for who he is and what he achieved as a True Ranger
Bought for an average fee in the 80s in a struggling Rangers team who were dominated by Aberdeen and Dee utd
“Ally , Ally . Get tae %^*& “
We all sung it but he stuck it out and became the
Greatest goal scorer who could score with 2 golden boots on either feet and the glue that kept our club together during some dark times
Super Davie Cooper is very close
But Ally is S T B
For me it has to be Super.

Closest thing we've had to a Greig or Jardine (just a little too young to appreciate Sandy as a player).

Super Ally.

Started out my supporting career idolising John Greig, Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston, Colin, Colin, Colin Stein, Derek Parlane and so many others.

However, to have watched every moment of Rangers greatest ever goal scorer is just a fûcking privilege.

Super Ally, Super Ally, ole ole ole

Super Ally, was the main man whilst I grew up, so has to be him. What a goal scorer he was, but also held play up well. El Buf is my modern equivalent, love his passion and swagger.

As others have said, I’d like to be different but can’t get away from Super Ally. His career mostly coincided with me growing up and really getting into football. His charisma, attitude and of course his goals all helped me fall in love with Rangers and the man himself.
As with any relationship, there’s been a few Mis-steps, but it’s Ally for me.
(Special mention to Steven Davis though, although a lot of that is for his contribution to his country as much as our club).

For me Super Ally for the goals he scored and the way he represents Himself and Rangers FC .

Came through numerous early setbacks in proving his worth at a time when the team was going through big changes in personnel and we were languishing mid table in the early 80's.

We had good players in various positions all good Rangers men from what I recall and like Super some promising players in Durrant and Ferguson coming through.

For me no other player came close to Mcoist in his scoring prowess and despite his troubles through management not even half of it his own he soldiered on with equal backing of fellow Rangers men like Sandy Jardine whilst scum were ripping the heart and soul out the club .

He'll lways be a legend for me .

Super Ally.

Was my hero as a young child and my going on about him was the catalyst for my dad to take me to Ibrox for the first time.

Brian Laudrup… every time he got the ball you knew that something special was likely to happen. I remember being an admirer when he was with Fiorentina and was super excited when he signed for us. He didn’t disappoint. 3 years of shear brilliance then an average, by his standards, final season mainly due to injury.

In my opinion, an absolute genius and genuine world class player.

He wasn’t even the best player in the Rangers team he played in. Great player, one of the greatest British players of all time but Laudrup was the best player in that side by an absolute mile. Probably the greatest player to pull the on the jersey.

Yet Super is still my favourite player ever Ranger.

Gazza was far and away more popular than Laudrup, possibly the most popular player we've ever had apart from maybe Ally. People forget but the excitement at Gazza signing was off the scale.

Last edited:
First player I really enjoyed watching was Ian Durrant, in the mid-late 80s. Even after that terrible tackle he went on to score my favourite ever goal (the equaliser in Marseille).

Jeez, there's a few I can think of, but one who will forever stand out for me is Paul Gascoigne.
He meant as much to me as a player as Jim Baxter meant to my Dad.

Colin Stein
He signed from Hibs when I was 8 and never let me down.
I was sad when he went to Coventry City but we has Derek Johnston and Derek Parlane to save us from Ally Scott and Martin Henderson
It was great he came back and I was at Easter road as a 15 year old to see him score the goal to win the first title in my life.
I was at Hampden to see him score both goals in a 2-2 draw with the beggars in the Glasgow cup final 1976 ish

This is as tough a question about Rangers I can think of, so many great contenders:

- Sandy Jardine, my first Rangers hero, he was a fantastic football player, he was not just a right back. I remember having a poster on my bedroom wall, which I got from a shop in Queen Street, probably about 1974/5.
- Derek Johnstone, he could play in defence, midfield and attack. The season he played up front with Gordon Smith, what a partnership. He was equally at home as a CH or CF, a great player.
- Davie Cooper, I have always said he is my favourite Rangers player, his skills were excellent. My first sighting of him were in the replayed games against Clydebank, and that was down to him. Never tire of watching Cooper, a fantastic talent and a joy to watch.
- Brian Laudrup, he is the Goat, sublime skills, great pace and he could score. Always said he is the most talented player I have seen in a Rangers strip, and I stick by that.

So my favourite Rangers player is Sandy Jardine, because of what I said above, and for how he stood by our club 10 years ago. The dignity and class of the man helped us in our dark times. I take my seat in the Sandy Jardine rear for home games and always think back...

Despite my moniker it isn't Big Tam, it is in fact Willie Henderson (he was the guy I pretended to be as a kid in the play ground).
As you can see from my moniker like you he was my ultimate hero. A great player, and a real gentleman.
It's no coincidence that BJK picked Mr Henderson for scotland over a famous wife beater.

I agree about your your birth date theory,but Baxter and Laudrup are at a slightly different level talent wise to all the rest,just my opinion mind.
I agree that Laudrup was a better footballer than McCoist, but the longevity of McCoist’s career is why I chose him over Laudrup. If I was a kid in 1994, I would have opted for Laudrup or Gazza. Difficult choices though; I love them all!!!!

What was your first ever Rangers game?

This is so hard that I could find myself choosing someone else every day!

I am choosing Morelos a modern day buffalo who scores goals and has and can run the line upfront himself like nobody I have seen for us and gives a few defenders a hard time at the same time, can hold up and make great passes and runs all day!

How the tabloids/media and pundits protected and supported Lennon's behaviour at times compared to making this young man a target of hate from opposition players, match officials, scrutinised by pundits, commentators and abused by opposing fans incited by all mentioned to cause harm because of him being a threat to their team borders on a disgusting evil hatred for any player in my living memory and shamed this Country!

Little wonder the lad fought back after the disgusting hatred and way he had been treated he came through it and is amazing and it is a shame and another travesty for him and us that he missed a deserved go at the Europa Final!

Take a bow Alfredo Morelos get that contract signed son you have unfinished business!

I agree that Laudrup was a better footballer than McCoist, but the longevity of McCoist’s career is why I chose him over Laudrup. If I was a kid in 1994, I would have opted for Laudrup or Gazza. Difficult choices though; I love them all!!!!

What was your first ever Rangers game?
Away in the Navy in the 60's,then played amateur and juniors myself,so my first game of note was the 73 SCF,joined the supporters club after I stopped playing.

Sandy Jardine. Was my hero growing up and remains so for what he did then, what he did after, and now for the memories that still remain. Was always terrified when he took a penalty for fear of him missing it.

Dave Smith......still maintains the Rangers standards to this day when he's supporting the team. Always immaculately dressed in shirt and tie and a true Ranger I've been in the company of many a time.

Super. Time & a place stuff. Had a great record v them. Although he wasn’t exactly manager of the year he was great as a figurehead in darker times.

I keep trying to think of someone a bit different to the usual favourites, but there is only one man who is head and shoulders above all others as my favourite ever Ranger. My favourite from when I was a boy right through to the present day.

Alistair McCoist

One of the best Rangers pictures ever. Probably my favourite.

Back