Just one fave ever Ranger and why?

Brian Laudrup. Tough question as I have followed the Gers for a long time but he could do things us mere mortals wouldnt have ever dreamed of.

Davie Cooper just a pleasure to watch him do special things at Kilmarnock midweek and the like..

Probably Super.
Fought his way through a tough spell at start of his Rangers career to be the success and legend that he became.
Players were brought in to replace him yet he still kept going. Injuries he batted away and returned even better.
He was a worthy assistant to Walter and he helped guide the club through some of it's most traumatic times. He wasn't blessed with the same managerial talent as he was when playing the game, however, he stood up when others did walk away. He took the kicks but persevered.
That and the fact I got my hair like his when I was 14, least said about that the better...
And he pressed Lennys button !!

As much as I loved Davie Cooper and always will he played in a team that never gave him his full potential ,Cooper was always my fav Ranger but sadly his time at Ibrox was underachieved in a team that wasn’t worthy of such a world class player

Davie Cooper along with John Greig were my first Rangers heroes. Coop shades it because he was a superb footballer and he was as cools f.uck.

Super Ally , just for who he is and what he achieved as a True Ranger
Bought for an average fee in the 80s in a struggling Rangers team who were dominated by Aberdeen and Dee utd
“Ally , Ally . Get tae %^*& “
We all sung it but he stuck it out and became the
Greatest goal scorer who could score with 2 golden boots on either feet and the glue that kept our club together during some dark times
Super Davie Cooper is very close
But Ally is S T B
I can’t argue with that.

Jim Baxter..because of his class, his supreme confidence and the way he lorded it over them constantly. Slim Jim was simply the best of them all.
That is exactly what I would post about Baxter, especially the way he lorded over them. We only lost 2 games against them with Slim Jim playing (in his first spell): his first and last games, the other 18 or so we won or drew. Most we won with THAT SCF replay being the zenith.
However in the post Laudrup years as I look back ,such was our Brian's brilliance, elegance, match winning ability, influence on others and downright genius I would say he ranks above my childhood hero. It almost pains me to say it but for me he is our best ahead of Baxter.
As a good player but more as a warrior, wee Alfie is way up there. What a fighter, he wants CHs battering into him FFS! so he can knock them about.

John Greig.

Early success was followed by Celtic's NIAR. He lived through that, and led Rangers to success in his later career.

I don't need to expand.

Last edited:
Albertz because he was my first childhood hero.

Walter because he's the first Ranger royalty manager I lived through.

Davie Cooper was my hero. my first ever game at Ibrox was his testimonial but I’d admired him as a player for years before, he was the player I said I was when we were when playing football in the park as kids.

(Except during the summer of 1982 I was Zico or one of that Brazil 82 team)

Davie Cooper. An absolute find, playing in opposition in a cup tie that should have been much more routine than it turned out to be, mainly due to him. Went on to star in one of the great Rangers teams, then as that all went pear shaped became one the only reasons to still believe, in fact one of the only reasons to still watch Rangers. And during that period even managed to have a Cup Final (replay if truth be told) named after him, and stuck with us when he could easily have made much more of himself elsewhere only to be rewarded when Souness brought success back to the club.

A genuine legend summed up by paraphrasing his own words…..he played for the club he loved!

I'm finding it impossible to pick one.

Some of my favourite rangers were gentlemen from the past I never even saw playing such were their characters and personalities. Gents like Hubbard, Simpson, Davis, Wilson etc.

Playing heroes oh there's been many.

Goram, Gough, I Ferguson, McCoist, Gazza and Laudrup. Albertz.

Barry Ferguson, Gio, de boer etc.

Cuellar, Weir, Papac, Davis and co.

More recently Tav, Alfie, Goldson, McGregor.

Then obviously Walter Smith deserves huge consideration.

I'm sitting on the fence :)

Being in my 40’s Super Ally

Man Crush in the 80’s early 90’s off the chart

Always will be my Hero

Genuinely can't split Coop and Ally. Both amazing at what they did and my heroes growing up.

Really struggling to identify one favourite, so many great players, so much joy.
Colin Stein was my boyhood hero, so I will stick with him.

Davie Cooper and I had the pleasure of meeting him twice ( I said ‘Hullo Davie’ and he said hello back which is enough for me )

Beasley as he is why I started watching Rangers and one of my favorite players of all time period. Also fortunate enough to meet him once and he is a tremendously nice guy.
He used to go out with one of my neighbours , nice enough guy as you said however he tried to sell personally signed rangers tops for £300 a pop which I didn’t like

Difficult one but probably Prso - aggressive in everything he did. Great finisher. Exciting to watch and have his all.

Ally…. The passion he would show when scoring against them he knew what it ment

Great Dane ….. the goat, enough said

Gazza …… the talent, could beat a man in his sleep

The hammer…. Left foot

The goalie ….. cos he’s the goalie

Barry ….. best natural home grown talent Iv seen in my lifetime for us who lived upto the expectations

I know you said one but these are the players that I looked forward to watching who really got me excited as a boy

Brian Laudrup was consistently the best performer I’ve seen in Scotland in the past 50ish years. A pacy, two-footed magician who combined the best attributes of every other winger we’ve had over the past 50. He made the game beautiful whilst representing our club like a total professional and all round class act.

For folk too young to have seen him it’s hard to describe how good he was. Genuinely the only player I’ve ever seen who was as dangerous picking the ball up in our box as in the opposition area because he could carry the ball quicker than defenders could reorganise and him running at defenders without cover was like dribbling past traffic cones.

He made the game magical. His legacy was to leave a standard that has absolutely ruined it for everyone since.

John Greig.
Always been my No.1 Ranger since seeing him scoring on his debut v Airdrie in 1961 to him lifting the Cup on his final game v Aberdeen in 1978.
Watched him carry the team during their 9 in a row period. Epitomised everything a Rangers Captain should be. Gave his all every game, at times playing with injury.
Privileged to have met him a couple of times, especially a one to one on my 60th birthday a few years ago.
Derek Johnstone would be my second choice. Magnificent player who could play defence, midfield and attack. Nice fella off the field too.

I have always asked myself this question and have went through loads of players. Gazza, Laudrup, Cooper, Albertz and so on but always come back to Super Ally. This has just been intensified as the years have went by. Took us when we were at our darkest place. Has always been there for the club and always will. His punditry through our run to Seville made everything even more special (which took a lot). The man reaps everything that our club is about.

Back