On the very day Rangers competed in a European final in Seville - what article did the Daily Record print?

mdingwall

Administrator
On the very day Rangers competed in a European final in Seville - what article did the Daily Record print?

I had gotten papers put aside by my local newsagent when I was in Seville - had a look through them yesterday - the Record didn’t disappoint - one issue had two pages in why Celtic in 1967 would still be more important than Rangers winning in Seville :)

Note that it's source is Paul Lambert, a former Celtic player. Born in 1969 . . .

Also, note that before he signed for Celtic that Paul was a Rangers fan so he's hardly qualified to compare our achievement in getting to this year's final and 1967 when playing a mere 9 games (as opposed to our 19) Celtic came up against a severely weakened Inter, missing their captain Suarez and several others from their staring 11 and squeaked a result courtesy of a deflection and an offside chance.

That’s embarrassing. Taking away the ridiculous notion that it was true, Seville was OUR moment. There’s really no need to devote a 2 page spread to something that happened 55 years ago. I’m a Rangers fan. If I worked for a paper and Celtic were in a final, I’m grudgingly being professional, not acting like a wee boy.

Thank god that separate entity loving bog roll paper, means absolutely nothing to me. Was a reasonably good paper a lot of years ago

I had gotten papers put aside by my local newsagent when I was in Seville - had a look through them yesterday - the Record didn’t disappoint - one issue had two pages in why Celtic in 1967 would still be more important than Rangers winning in Seville :)

Note that it's source is Paul Lambert, a former Celtic player. Born in 1969 . . .

Also, note that before he signed for Celtic that Paul was a Rangers fan so he's hardly qualified to compare our achievement in getting to this year's final and 1967 when playing a mere 9 games (as opposed to our 19) Celtic came up against a severely weakened Inter, missing their captain Suarez and several others from their staring 11 and squeaked a result courtesy of a deflection and an offside chance.

Celtic fans at the Daily Record being Celtic fans…

Ive said it many a time on here, the record and the sun will never see any of my cash, and that's been the way since the early 80's.

Those two fuukin papers can disappear into obscurity as far as I am concerned.

In answer to the OP, I was expecting some shite about Flange eating the worlds largest paella.

Reactions: VGM
If we ever win the champions league they wills till come out with this shite. Never mind winning the EL in the current era!

Its what helps them sleep at night.

This was the Record getting their mantra in early for the Piggery mutants to parrot if we had beaten Frankfurt. That Celtc's 1967 " legends " went out only months later in the first round of the EC when defending the trophy says it all, tbh.
Aye pumped home and away in the preliminary round 2 months later....

That’s embarrassing. Taking away the ridiculous notion that it was true, Seville was OUR moment. There’s really no need to devote a 2 page spread to something that happened 55 years ago. I’m a Rangers fan. If I worked for a paper and Celtic were in a final, I’m grudgingly being professional, not acting like a wee boy.
Doesn't matter if they are a journalist, politician, football pundit etc, the hatred always shows through. They are completely unable to be professional at anything due to this.

To put their 67 win in to perspective Linfield narrowly lost out in the quarter finals losing only 3-2 to CSKA Red Flag, who drew both legs of their semi 1-1 before going out 1-0 in a play off to Inter.

cetlic won it with an offside goal and a deflection against a weakened Inter.

The teams they played that year

Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina (they had 7 titles in total between them) Infact Vojvodina never won another title till 1989. Dukla Prague, Inter.

You would expect nothing less from the Record.

If they truly had to try and fit them into some sort of article then surely any comparison would have been with their 2003 team, given it was the same competition and final location.

I’m guessing Thomson’s claim must have ruffled a few feathers, but the point he was trying to make was it is harder to get to a European Final these days than back then, which is fair enough.

I would also guess us losing gave them a bigger celebration than any goal or victory their team has ever scored. Which sums them up.

8 games they played to the final, and against not one recognised European team.

And the final was against a very weakened internzionale.

They were the best team in Scotland at the time only.

Even our 72 side would have comfortably duffed them.

EDIT:

1st round: Zurich
2nd round: Nantes
Quarter final: Vojvodina
Semi final: Dukla prague
Final: Internazionale

Selic rag interviews former Rangers fan and selic player turned selic puppet and determine selic are better. Who'd have thunk.

Please sign someone Rangers. Mark is very bored. He's now sifting through papers from weeks ago looking for meaningless stories.

They have and will forever bum up Lisbon as much as they try to downplay our Euro win and also to an extent Aberdeens who beat both Bayern and Real to win their trophy
Every team we beat on our way to glory wouldn't have been out of place in a European cup draw
They were a good team for about 7 years in Europe but Ajax or Bayern from that era would have rag-dolled them

"They will always be the greatest team to come out of this country"

Why even give time to anyone with such a closed mind?

Exactly. So if Rangers had 16 Scottish lads born within 100 yards of Ibrox that went on to win the champions league three years running and do 15 in a row domestically with 5 trebles in a row - obviously utterly ludicrous idea. Probably a Google to one shot but still possible and that attitude would be ‘still not as good as Celtic’. Oh %^*& off.

Might not be popular on here but for me aberdeen winning the CwC and super cup exceeds both rangers and Celtics European wins. Football was already by that stage less of a levels playing field with more teams of a higher standard involved In European competition. And had we won in Seville it would have pissed all over the others given the disparity in resources.

The fact is, no team has ever had an easier run than them in 67. Our win in Barca in 72 was miles more impressive as was the sheep in the early 80's.
Our run to even reach the Europa final this year is without a doubt the greatest achievement by any Scottish team in history given what it takes nowadays.
Celtc however do have the distinction of being the first holders of the EC to be papped out in the next season trying to defend their title... haahhaahaaaahaaa.

Back