The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we met the asking price?
Depends who you choose to believe. From the Scottish side, probably through leaks, then yes, we did think we’d met the asking price and had a deal in place.

Listen to the Greeks and we haven’t.

Rangers are lying or the Greeks have moved the goalposts.

Take your pick. I’m going with the latter.

I agree he is a good player who can see a pass. The big issue as we all know is his fitness levels. Has played 193 games in 9 years, average 21 games per season, approx 47%. Hopefully as he has now joined us and ultimately we have a bigger squad than his previous clubs, his game time can be managed etc

Thats certainly massaging the figures.

One of those seasons he was 16!

He has certainly had injury problems, however he's played over 30 games in 5 of his seasons as a pro.

Yet has a goal every 2 games ratio not bad for someone in his first season.

We didn't make it to the champions league because we couldn't beat 10 men simple really and nothing to do with recruitment. Good reason why we haven't saw any signings in that time due to the impact COVID has had on the club. Can we not actually wait until the window is shut as well to see how much we spend in this window?

I'm reserving judgement at the moment, but so far it feels the same as the last three windows.

Depends who you choose to believe. From the Scottish side, probably through leaks, then yes, we did think we’d met the asking price and had a deal in place.

Listen to the Greeks and we haven’t.

Rangers are lying or the Greeks have moved the goalposts.

Take your pick. I’m going with the latter.
The point is until there is a proper agreement, then there is no deal.
Unless I missed this official announcement?

Just the way of the world. If they get poached hopefully at least it's for decent money. If that happens he, and we, have done well.

The CL is a huge task. It's possibly 50:50 that we qualify. The Europa league took the sting out of losing the league last year but I think our players will be right up for winning it back again.
If this squad is as good as most people seem to think then we should qualify.
But ..if we brought in a few decent players, don’t you think that might improve our chances and cement bringing in 30 + million to the club?

Robertson might even get his museum finished quicker!

That contract Simpson got keeps me awake at night.
It's one that maybe could have been structured differently. 2 years with extra year if he reached x amount of appearances. Anyways, we have him for now, most clubs have a Simpson or two in their squads.

He will be gone at some point. Good luck to him when he goes. Not his fault he got a good deal.

Again though in January 2021 what did we need to spend? I get your point about last summer I agree with it.
Hindsight 20/20 we should've got a CF in. We also shouldn't have got a EPL academy player that had played less than 10 1st team games in middle of a title race. Ramsey I won't even play hindsight as nearly everyone imo would've taken the gamble with him.

"There's no magic money tree"

"We have a settled squad"

"Did you miss us getting to the Europa League final?"

"They're spending millions to stand still"

"Aye but 55"

Repeat ad nauseam .
And piling on anyone who expresses reservations or a lack of excitement over players we are linked with. You’d think we were the best in the world at recruitment with some of the responses you get.

If this squad is as good as most people seem to think then we should qualify.
But ..if we brought in a few decent players, don’t you think that might improve our chances and cement bringing in 30 + million to the club?

Robertson might even get his museum finished quicker!
A big spend doesn’t “cement” anything, seen this said a few times. Who covers the shortfall if we spend out with our means and fall short?

I’m not directing anything at you mate.
My frustration is with this board,
And what they are failing to do.
Season after season.
We are losing millions every year. We are being kept afloat by loans. They aren’t ‘free’ anymore and need to be paid back. We might just about break even this year. And folk want us to spend millions every transfer window. It, literally, doesn’t add up.

Hindsight 20/20 we should've got a CF in. We also shouldn't have got a EPL academy player that had played less than 10 1st team games in middle of a title race. Ramsey I won't even play hindsight as nearly everyone imo would've taken the gamble with him.

Wrong January talking about the season before when we won the league since its used as an example of moaning that no cash was spent.

True but it’s Itten so it made no difference

I would have rather signed another striker as well

However its summer and look at the trouble we are having getting one. Multiply that by 100 for the January window.

Its either paying big bucks or getting somebody out of favour at their club, so they are rusty, like what we ended up with in Ramsey and Diallo

Wrong January talking about the season before when we won the league since its used as an example of moaning that no cash was spent.
The season after we won the league, it was clear some players had thought they achieved all there was to do here at Rangers.

Arguably should've signed a RW.
A replacement for Scott Arfield has been on the cards for a year and a half.
And a striker to better back up Alfredo.

Midfield you could maybe argue Lundstram replaced Arfield eventually.

Steven Davis at the end of that season potentially could've gone on to be replaced as well.

We are losing millions every year. We are being kept afloat by loans. They aren’t ‘free’ anymore and need to be paid back. We might just about break even this year. And folk want us to spend millions every transfer window. It, literally, doesn’t add up.
Makes the failure to implement the ‘player trading model’ all the more worrying then.

But we're still reluctant to sell players when they're hot.

Something's going to come off the rails eventually here.

Im still pretty relaxed but i can see why people are anxious, we've spent next to nothing in 2 years.

Until we sign a player of real quality (which usually means spending a decent chunk of money) I won't criticise anyone for having doubts about our recruitment strategy.

It's a big summer for the board & Ross Wilson.

Also woth noting the guys on here telling everyone how early it is in the window were saying the exact same thing last summer. They didn't look too clever last August.

We should all probably stop the smart arse comments until we see what happens.
Our starting 11 needs refreshed, we were all saying it last season

Makes the failure to implement the ‘player trading model’ all the more worrying then.
Precisely this

If the board cannot manage a credit facility of any sorts, I.e. a manageable debt framework to fund short term acquisitions, then the player trading model becomes even more critical.

The season after we won the league, it was clear some players had thought they achieved all there was to do here at Rangers.

Arguably should've signed a RW.
A replacement for Scott Arfield has been on the cards for a year and a half.
And a striker to better back up Alfredo.

Midfield you could maybe argue Lundstram replaced Arfield eventually.

Steven Davis at the end of that season potentially could've gone on to be replaced as well.

We didn't play with wingers under Gerrard though so we wouldn't have signed one under him. With hindsight now Sakala isn't a striker (what he was signed as) but he was clearly brought into replace Itten but now we've saw him he's more of a wide forward.

We went into last summer with 35/36 players there was never going to be more added to it even more so with no player sale, the big loss and needing £7.5m to see the season out.

Yet has a goal every 2 games ratio not bad for someone in his first season.

We didn't make it to the champions league because we couldn't beat 10 men simple really and nothing to do with recruitment. Good reason why we haven't saw any signings in that time due to the impact COVID has had on the club. Can we not actually wait until the window is shut as well to see how much we spend in this window?
It didn't stop the other lot spending the guts of £30m last year though, did it? We're standing still here.

Can only sell a played if a) you get an acceptable bid and, more importantly, b) they want to go.

If Kent, Aribo and Morelos, as examples, want to run down their contracts then that’s their prerogative.

It’s not the 70s any more. In fact, more recently, the Dhims would have loved to have ‘moved on’ Bobo Balde. We know how that one panned out.

I would have rather signed another striker as well

However its summer and look at the trouble we are having getting one. Multiply that by 100 for the January window.

Its either paying big bucks or getting somebody out of favour at their club, so they are rusty, like what we ended up with in Ramsey and Diallo

Hindsight is a great thing mate lol

I honestly can’t keep up with what are board doing.
Or in this case not doing.

Stewart Robertson comes out and boasts, just before the Europa final, that the club made, just as much money in the Europa competition, as we would have made qualifying for CL Group Stages.

But we are still haggling over a couple hundred thousands for a player that Gio understandably, wants in now!

Dangerous game.

As usual you haven't got a clue about anything.

Either way I imagine our target lists look different based on either scenario.

List A based on CL qualification.
List B based on it being EL.

There may be players who are on both lists.
So we are risking CL qualification again it seems

We didn't play with wingers under Gerrard though so we wouldn't have signed one under him. With hindsight now Sakala isn't a striker (what he was signed as) but he was clearly brought into replace Itten but now we've saw him he's more of a wide forward.

We went into last summer with 35/36 players there was never going to be more added to it even more so with no player sale, the big loss and needing £7.5m to see the season out.
Gerrard signed Ryan Kent? A left winger...

I think things will move much more quickly from tomorrow. I’ve wondered for some time if we’ve been holding of until 1st of July - start of our new financial year - before making any sufficient outlays. Particularly with the new UEFA rules on FFP having a strong season this season financially will help offset if we spend more next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back