The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bassey goes how do you realistically replace him

What i mean by that is what do we sign? a starting left back or a starting Centre back? or both.
I think we'd need both. Not only was Bassey capable of playing both, he was also extremely durable and could play every minute of every game.
Bassey's also a likely guaranteed starter at either position, so I think one of the two replacements has to be expected to start every game.

I don't think, imo, we will get 25. We wanted 10 for Aribo ending up with 6 albeit rumours abound of further payments. I think we will get Tillman.
Pointless comparison mate. Bassey has 2 years left on his deal, if our valuation isn't met - he doesn't go. With aribo, we had to take the best offer on the table or risk losing him for nothing.

And fwiw, the aribo deal will ultimately be worth significantly more than 6m. People just love to read a headline and get raging.

Still a lot of posters with the "rather just keep the player" mindset.

You need to get with the program, going forward this is how it's going to be.

Any also there is no conceivable ‘develop him further and get more in a years time’. Realistically he isn’t MOTM in a European final in 12 months or in a number of ties leading up to the final.

Plus there is a ceiling to his price based in Scotland and he’s probably at that already so keeping him would be a huge risk.

One per seaon though.

Not our two best players within weeks
You don't get then choose the timing though, remember it's all about player power these days. We need to have a competent scouting and recruitment team who are ready to react quickly and bring in quality when we sell players.

The above sums it up for me.

I would be worried if we lost Bassey this summer. I’d be offering a huge contract (almost top earner) & doing my best to keep him for this season.

I think there’s even more development & improvement to come from him & I totally understand the business in getting 15-25 million for a player you signed for next to nothing.

However in a football sense we will really struggle to replace his power & strength + flexibility to play in 3 positions. He’s our most important player.
There is no way the club can knock that money back and they will find a replacement . At the start of last season would you have knocked back 10 million for him?

If bassey goes, he goes with my best wishes, like aribo, both were brought into do a job, with a vision of selliing, and making profit if you look at both transfers in terms of success, thats the business model that we are going at moment and it is really working .
Fully agree. This kind of model isn’t easy for us fans, not sure we’ll ever get used to our favourites leaving, but it’s the way it has to be.

Any also there is no conceivable ‘develop him further and get more in a years time’. Realistically he isn’t MOTM in a European final in 12 months or in a number of ties leading up to the final.

Plus there is a ceiling to his price based in Scotland and he’s probably at that already so keeping him would be a huge risk.
This “Bassey was man of the match” in Seville myth is fairly growing arms and legs.

Reading a couple of articles on Sam Vines. 0 goals and 0 assists in 30 appearances last season. 22/23 years old, no outstanding attributes; average defender, not very physical or athletic. Fine going forward, not overly quick or skillful, crossing/delivery poor.
Who is linking us with him?

Yeah we signed a few players.

You should read through the whole thread to find out who.
%^*& that. Place is mental at the best of times, and there’s not a chance I’m reading through 24000 odd posts.

Id rather get a teaspoon, spoon my eyes out and stick them in a piece and eat them than read through that amount of mentalness.

Reading a couple of articles on Sam Vines. 0 goals and 0 assists in 30 appearances last season. 22/23 years old, no outstanding attributes; average defender, not very physical or athletic. Fine going forward, not overly quick or skillful, crossing/delivery poor.
Just the kind of player we've been crying out for then

Christ. We went into last season thinking Bassey was going to be a bit part player to cover for Barisic. He's had a meteoric rise in the last 6 months. We'd be idiots not to cash in on that. You could argue his stock will only continue to rise but if we block a move this summer, he's not going to sign a new deal with us and then we are looking a smaller fee next summer due to his contract situation.

It's unpalatable, it's annoying given the size of game we have coming up in three weeks, but this is what happens in modern football. This is the player trading model, this is how it works. You sell when a player's stock is high and you've got the time to replace them. He's not irreplaceable. No player is.

Ajax manager had a charming talk with Bassey. Dutch reports that we want more than 25m whether that's euros or £ we don't know. But Ajax don't do sell on clauses. Brighton interested also.

If bassey leaves then he is replaced in the song by Rabbi.

If stoke defender Tymon Signs then a poster will delete his account or get Admin to ban him.

@DeeGer10 messaged an Israeli LBs agent and asked if we were signing him, the agent said neither aye or naw. Said Israeli player was following Rangers on Instagram but the cnut started following Bologna instead.

Tillman has EPL interest.

Some posters say Ross Wilson has to go! Could be 50m received for 4 players.

Ross Wilson is currently wanking over a USA internationalist that plays in Belgium.

Think that covers it, feel free to add anything I missed.

Please do a nightly summary of this nature.

No signings. Tillman going to EPL on loan apparently. Half of FF have Bassey punted too!

Edit: there are no heavy links for Bassey, just rumours, and some would rather money in the bank than such a player on the park.
Nobody wants money in the bank over any player as such. Most are aware though that a bid of £20-25m for ANY player will see them leave.

No club in Scottish Football as it stands today can or will turn down that kind of cash.

It’s painful. Say he had a poor run of form, same people would question why we didn’t cash in

If it was £10m I’d agree but you can’t knock back £20m+
That sums them up entirely. Moaning about everything for the sake of moaning, and changing their views on what should've or shouldn't have happened based on whatever they get to moan about.

There is no way the club can knock that money back and they will find a replacement . At the start of last season would you have knocked back 10 million for him?
As I said…I agree with the business sense to sell Bassey for the figures reported. It’s super business but I want a winning Rangers team.

On a footballing sense for us to win the league back, qualify & to compete in CL then selling Bassey is the biggest blow we could take from any player in the squad.

I’m not stressed in losing Aribo but losing Bassey will be very difficult to replace & overcome. As mentioned by a few posters we probably need to buy 2 players to replace him. That tells you his strength, power & ability within our squad.

We were told about this from the off, it was made 100% clear that this was the sustainable model for the club. It’s the only route to long term success in Scotland. Whilst they’ve definitely made some mistakes along the way, almost everything everyone was crying out for has been delivered. We’re potentially on the verge of the club being in the most solid position we’ve been in for decades yet some want Wilson, Robertson and Bisgrove sacked. You can’t legislate for insanity.

Pointless comparison mate. Bassey has 2 years left on his deal, if our valuation isn't met - he doesn't go. With aribo, we had to take the best offer on the table or risk losing him for nothing.

And fwiw, the aribo deal will ultimately be worth significantly more than 6m. People just love to read a headline and get raging.
Not sure I'm following your point here. If we don't accept a high bid, albeit one that may fall short of our valuation, we hold on to bassey and end up in the exact same position as Aribo when next summer rolls around, taking the best offer on the table or risk losing him for nothing.

What are you suggesting would be the best course of action here?

Reactions: WBD
Ajax could get 45 50 at a push.

No team in Scotland is ever selling a player for 40 million or more, not now, not ever.
You would've been told you were getting carried away if you said they'd get £18 million for Dembele at the time, followed up by saying nobody will ever pay £25 million. The goalposts keep shifting, and the better reputation that we have for developing players, the more they'll go for naturally down the line. Ajax and Benfica didn't start off by selling £100 million players.

Interesting to recall that both Patterson and Bassey were two of the five suspended by the club back in February 2021 for the unlawful Covid gathering and quite a few folk wanted them either sacked or sold for peanuts at that time. As it happens, apart from that one incident, the two lads seem to me to have demonstrated every quality you would want to see in Rangers players, to say nothing of between them potentially making the club £35m+. It just goes to show that we shouldn't be too quick to judge our players, particularly the younger ones.

Absolutely no danger we throw 20m back in to the squad I’d imagine.

Some will be banked
Are we selling hair shirts in the superstore? If not I guess I've stumbled into an 'accountancy today' forum.

We exist as a club to win trophies. Doing so in a financially responsible manner does not necessarily require that we bank a portion of every transfer fee coming in, especially if you have already sold for a good profit (N.P.) and had a significant windfall from our Europa adventure. We do need to improve our squad and that means a healthy level of reinvestment. We don't save up to buy trophies they have to be won on the pitch. Down with the incessant parsimony!

Interesting to recall that both Patterson and Bassey were two of the five suspended by the club back in February 2021 for the unlawful Covid gathering and quite a few folk wanted them either sacked or sold for peanuts at that time. As it happens, apart from that one incident, the two lads seem to me to have demonstrated every quality you would want to see in Rangers players, to say nothing of between them potentially making the club £35m+. It just goes to show that we shouldn't be too quick to judge our players, particularly the younger ones.
Aye nae bother mum

We’ll have none of that sensible reasoning round here thank you!

I think that once everyone found out they'd had an internal FIFA competition and ordered a Chinese, nobody cared. Unless I'm mistaken, the initial thinking was that they'd been going to a party after Jones and Edmundson had been hauled over the coals for it and it suggested they were being beyond daft if they did it again. I think most people calmed down once it became obvious that they were just being a bit stupid instead of incredibly stupid.

Are we selling hair shirts in the superstore? If not I guess I've stumbled into an 'accountancy today' forum.

We exist as a club to win trophies. Doing so in a financially responsible manner does not necessarily require that we bank a portion of every transfer fee coming in, especially if you have already sold for a good profit (N.P.) and had a significant windfall from our Europa adventure. We do need to improve our squad and that means a healthy level of reinvestment. We don't save up to buy trophies they have to be won on the pitch. Down with the incessant parsimony!
Cool

Well if we spend the entire bassey fee on the squad I’ll come back and say well done.

Your talking about accountancy today forum yet assume the euro run and NP solves everything

As I said…I agree with the business sense to sell Bassey for the figures reported. It’s super business but I want a winning Rangers team.

On a footballing sense for us to win the league back, qualify & to compete in CL then selling Bassey is the biggest blow we could take from any player in the squad.

I’m not stressed in losing Aribo but losing Bassey will be very difficult to replace & overcome. As mentioned by a few posters we probably need to buy 2 players to replace him. That tells you his strength, power & ability within our squad.
And I'm sure we will find replacements for him but at the quoted price we as a club can't knock that back and sure we can find players who are up to the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back