We still need a driving central midfielder

GodStruth

Notwithstanding tonight's shambles we seem to have added quality around the edges of the team and Tillman in particular looks like real quality

We still, in my opinion, need a top class box to box central midfielder with a goal threat. We simply cannot continue with a midfield three of Jack, Lundstram and Kamara in the same team. Too many sideways passes, no goal threat and can't even protect the defence effectively.

Its a glaring hole in that team and will continue to hurt us unless its addressed

We just need one whose not scared to pass between the lines.

Out to the wing. Pass across the field. Out to the wing. So predictable. Kamara had a player open infront of him a few times and turned and squeezed a pass out to tav in line with him with 2 guys infront of him. So scared was he to attempt a forward pass.

Notwithstanding tonight's shambles we seem to have added quality around the edges of the team and Tillman in particular looks like real quality

We still, in my opinion, need a top class box to box central midfielder with a goal threat. We simply cannot continue with a midfield three of Jack, Lundstram and Kamara in the same team. Too many sideways passes, no goal threat and can't even protect the defence effectively.

Its a glaring hole in that team and will continue to hurt us unless its addressed
We need a midfielder who will demand the ball and who can control the tempo of our game.

I honestly think we need to look at a lot more than that.

- Keeper position needs looked at.

- The gap in quality between Morelos and the other two strikers is huge.

- Defence is dreadful.

We basically need an experienced Lowry.

Ryan Jack isnt the guy to drive us forward from midfield and Kamara isnt creative enough. We really need 2 starting central midfielders. Lawrence may be the solution, but its going to take time to see if he can deliver at the level we need him to.

It isn’t normal to rely on one player to do that never mind not signing one for 4 years.

We need a couple midfielders like that, Jack, Kamara , Lundstram is a horribly balanced midfield.

I can’t stand Lundstram getting wasted at CB. He’s arguably our best midfielder. Use him in midfield.

Lundstram's versatility and ability to drop back and make it a back 3 is one of the reasons why our wingbacks should be able to get forward so often. Lundstram playing deep isnt really the problem. The problem is that his midfield partner has had too many serious injuries and isnt a box to box player and the other guy we had in for creativity spent the entire game hiding.

We just need one whose not scared to pass between the lines.

Out to the wing. Pass across the field. Out to the wing. So predictable. Kamara had a player open infront of him a few times and turned and squeezed a pass out to tav in line with him with 2 guys infront of him. So scared was he to attempt a forward pass.
Tav & Borna have always been the out ball. Comes as no surprise.

Lawrence play across the 3, we need a driving midfielder. It's been needed for Years. We won't but we should spend good money on one. And our midfield need to level or up be sold.

My worry is none of the players we have brought in improves last seasons best 11 imo

That gets trotted out a lot. How much money does it cost to upgrade Morelos, Kent, Goldson, Tav etc.

The bottom line is, you don’t know if we have improved the 1st 11 until well in to the season.

Lundstram's versatility and ability to drop back and make it a back 3 is one of the reasons why our wingbacks should be able to get forward so often. Lundstram playing deep isnt really the problem. The problem is that his midfield partner has had too many serious injuries and isnt a box to box player and the other guy we had in for creativity spent the entire game hiding.
He’s stifled at CB. He’s most effective further up the pitch as we saw in Dortmund and against Leipzig at Ibrox when he stepped up with the winner.

It’s a good tactic against top opposition, but we didn’t need him at the back tonight, we needed him where he is most dangerous.

Bang on, been needing this for 2 years now

We have Lawrence and Tillman who can be good attacking midfielders. Unfortunately our manager seems to see Kamara in that role when everyone and their granny can see he’s more suited at sitting.

Without one,we are bog standard going forward.
Too predictable
Not one midfielder looks capable of playing a killer pass,doesnt look like scoring a goal,in fact,not even having a shot.

That gets trotted out a lot. How much money does it cost to upgrade Morelos, Kent, Goldson, Tav etc.

The bottom line is, you don’t know if we have improved the 1st 11 until well in to the season.
Really mate? - Lawrence / matondo isn’t better than Aribo and Colak isn’t better than Alfie.
Yilmaz will have to be some player to better Bassey at FB and the only one that has any chance of starting last season would be Davies. For me Souttar isn’t better than Balogun and I’d keep Katic due to the fear of that back 4 already

Lundtsram can do that, having him CB tonight was madness
Why we needed five across the back at times against this team - good, but hardly world beaters - is beyond me. The passing between those five was lovely, but got us absolutely nowhere.

He’s stifled at CB. He’s most effective further up the pitch as we saw in Dortmund and against Leipzig at Ibrox when he stepped up with the winner.

It’s a good tactic against top opposition, but we didn’t need him at the back tonight, we needed him where he is most dangerous.

I wouldn't play him as a centre half. Ideally Gio won't either. But as a deep lying midfielder who can drop back? It gives the wingbacks licence to go forward because he can drop back and turn us into a back 3. He isnt particularly dangerous in a more advanced role. He isnt going to drive us forward or create things. We desperately need a proper box to box midfielder and a creator in midfield for that.

We have Lawrence and Tillman who can be good attacking midfielders. Unfortunately our manager seems to see Kamara in that role when everyone and their granny can see he’s more suited at sitting.
Bizarre isn’t it I have to agree. The same as playing sands instead of giving balogun a new deal :eek:

With the money we have taken in in the last year, we should be investing in Ryan Jacks replacement now.

Hopefully a rude awakening for Gio tonight after his comments about being happy with the squad as it stands.

We have needed 1 for 5 years.
100% agree. It used to frustrate me that SG never fixed this given this was actually his position.

The fact that we don’t have this today is baffling as our link up play and drive to move the ball forward from back to front is way too slow and easy for teams to defend which results in us creating f.all. Frustrating.

Back