We still need a driving central midfielder

It’s a shame Lowry has missed out through injury as he’s the direct type of midfielder we are screaming out for.

No point having a number 10 if you can't find him or if he's crowded out. We aren't clever enough.

Why we needed five across the back at times against this team - good, but hardly world beaters - is beyond me. The passing between those five was lovely, but got us absolutely nowhere.

Thats more a problem with the wingbacks doing absolutely nothing to drive forward tonight.

Yilmaz and Tav going forward? You need a midfielder who can drop back and support the 2 central defenders, making them a 3 until the wingbacks can track back and get into position again. Lundstram should be the deep sitting midfielder in a 4-1-2-3 formation, with 2 central midfielders ahead of him playing box to box and providing the creativity.

We don't have the 2 midfielders to play those roles. Lowry will in the future, but I wouldn't be putting that weight of expectation on him now. Tillman might be able to. Lawrence too. But Tillman is inexperienced as well and Lawrence has never had to deal with the kind of pressure and demands he'll be dealing with as a Rangers player.

We need 2 new midfielders.

Notwithstanding tonight's shambles we seem to have added quality around the edges of the team and Tillman in particular looks like real quality

We still, in my opinion, need a top class box to box central midfielder with a goal threat. We simply cannot continue with a midfield three of Jack, Lundstram and Kamara in the same team. Too many sideways passes, no goal threat and can't even protect the defence effectively.

Its a glaring hole in that team and will continue to hurt us unless its addressed
correct
Notwithstanding tonight's shambles we seem to have added quality around the edges of the team and Tillman in particular looks like real quality

We still, in my opinion, need a top class box to box central midfielder with a goal threat. We simply cannot continue with a midfield three of Jack, Lundstram and Kamara in the same team. Too many sideways passes, no goal threat and can't even protect the defence effectively.

Its a glaring hole in that team and will continue to hurt us unless its addressed

I don’t think we need box to box. I think we need Lundstram doing his work in midfield. And a creative type beside him. The lack of passes from central/deep midfield into the ten position or striker or creatively wide is an issue and slows us down massively.

We definitely need someone with a bit of creativity who can pass forward for CM. Problem is I don’t think we have the funds for this player unless we get into the CL or sell someone else.

2008. The last time we bought a central midfielder for serious money. Steven Davis.

The likes of Jack and Kamara half arsing it with no challenge is holding us back.

Jack especially should have been phased out long before now. He’s got his uses, but he’s blowing out his arse or injured more often than not.

Steven Davis should be in next week.

Our midfield has required a box to box creating midfielder for years.

There’s people on here who will scoff at the though and ask you where you will find the money.

Our midfield tonight that failed so badly cost 50 grand to buy.

We have about 10 central midfielders already dont we

All either very similar, long past their best or unproven.

Lundstram is very good at the defensive midfielder role. Can help out the central defenders when the wingbacks are pushed forward. Can push a bit forward himself. You could argue that Sands is a similar type of player.

Ryan Jack is done. Injuries have caught up with him and he just can't impose himself on games. He isnt a player who'll drive us forward and who'll work box to box. Arfield is diminishing. Still a squad player, but not a regular starter.

Kamara? You can build a midfield around him with the right players, but we don't have those. Is he a playmaker? He doesnt have the engine to get forward, so he'd need to be spraying passes around from deeper positions. He doesnt really tackle well enough to be a defensive midfielder. He isnt going to play box to box for 90 minutes. So you potentially play him in midfield with Lundstram doing the defensive work and somebody else pushing forward and supporting the attackers. Steven Davis has exactly the same problem - still a fantastic passer of the ball, but he doesnt have the legs to get involved box to box for 90 minutes.

Goal threat from midfield, or a player who'll drive at opponents? Maybe it's Tillman. Maybe it's Lawrence. Maybe it's Lowry. The problem with all 3 is inexperience. Tillman is a youngster. So is Lowry. Lawrence has never been that player at a club with our expectation.

So we probably do have close to 10 players who can play in the middle of the park. Lundstram, Sands, Jack, Arfield, Kamara, Davis, Tillman, Lawrence and Lowry would be the obvious ones. Of that group? The only once who is at the level we need them to be is John Lundstram. The others have question marks over fitness, their ability to do it for anywhere near 90 minutes, their ability to impose themselves on games or experience and reliability.

2008. The last time we bought a central midfielder for serious money. Steven Davis.

The likes of Jack and Kamara half arsing it with no challenge is holding us back.

Jack especially should have been phased out long before now. He’s got his uses, but he’s blowing out his arse or injured more often than not.

Touched on in another thread - we have far too many guys in midfield that do the same thing. Its been evident for 3 seasons and we seem to have added more of the same instead of something different

It will kill us

It’s obvious we’ve needed money spent on the midfield.

You’ve got idiots on here incapable of seeing the bigger picture thinking you couldn’t for 3 million get better than a jack or a Kamala.

How is it all of us can see that we need someone in midfield that can take control of the game and create the openings and the ones getting paid the big bucks sitting in the dugout can't.

All the happy clappers were telling me we didn’t need a Fulgini …

Tillman is a cracking prospect as a 10, but we need an 8 and a true 8 at that.

Jack, Kamara & Lundstram are all 6’s
They are all too similar, it does nothing for us creatively, or from a goal threat perspective, to play all three, even if you are pushing one further forward.

John Lundstram was brought in as a box to box midfielder who would drive us forward. Somewhere along the road he has been converted to a holding CM or a CB. Pretty shameful waste of talent IMO.

We need someone in the middle of the park that plays with some intensity. Demands the ball and moves it quickly (ideally forward) I can see a scenario where Kent and matondo are gonna be making runs in behind and becoming frustrated as the likes of jack slow the game down and then play the easy simple ball.

Lundtsram can do that, having him CB tonight was madness
Tbf it worked going to the el final

The difference was that we could keep the ball up top when Alfie aren't out we had aribo to hold the ball up and fed runners.

Though team we played tonight it was a bit like rewarding Sunday low block the counter

We struggle with defensive teams more than we should and that was with Alfie/Kent and Aribo without them it's going v take time to get players used to positions.

Yilmaz must be an improvement on Barisic?

Davies should come good once he's settled in.

The rest have serious question marks over them already.
100% he is an improvement on Barasic and We’ve no even seen him play yet….. big Bassey was left back though and yilmaz will have to be sensational to be better than that. Why did we allow balogun to leave to have to play sands CB in a champions league qualifier ….. it really does beggar belief (and I’m not blaming sands for tonight before anyone pipes up)

I fear Fulgini was that player. Tillman looks a good prospect but that's all he is at the moment. Fulgini was an established pro playing consistently at a good level.

We have needed this player for three seasons. I would actually have invested the entire transfer budget (out with the Bassey and Aribo deals/replacements) on a quality midfielder

We've needed one for years, this is nothing new and in our market, I assume they're hard to find.

To be honest we never really replaced Barry Ferguson. The shortage of midfielders at the moment shows you how good Ferguson was.
Different conversation, but as a teenager in 2003, I'll never forget how devastated I was when he left us for muck like Blackburn.

Back