Teammates Who Disliked Each Other

Gough and Roberts stemming back to their Spurs days is one.

Towards the end of his time here, did Albertz not fall out with some of the Dutch? Understand most of it was aimed at Advocaat himself.

I met Sutton and a bunch of their team incl Lennon in Dublin through a a works thing and believe me, they all thought he was a bellend.
My old boss told me of a time he met Sutton and another player outside the piggery (99% sure it was Mjallby).
Said Sutton was just an absolute prick to the fans who were about to the point that Mjallby was apologising for his behaviour.

Never heard that one before.

Rio proper hated most Chelsea/Liverpool players when they went on England duty. Think him and Lampard had a weird ongoing personal dislike.
England bust ups due to clubs still happens. Sterling and Gomez were fighting not long ago on England duty.

Read Numans book and don’t think he had much time for Amo.

Andy Goram and Nigel Spackman.

Andy decked Spackman at half time during a game v Aberdeen. I’m sure the story was that Walter was not averse to Spackman getting a slap.
I was there. The match. Not the rammy at HT you understand. Second half we destroyed Dolly. That 92/93 season apart from losing early doors 4-3 away at Dens we played some of the Best Football I've ever seen from The Rangers.

Mauro Icardi and Maxi Lopez is a given I think!

Zlatan kicked the shit out of Oguchi Onyewu at training one day for a bad tackle.

The De Bruyne & Courtois situation is weird as well, apparently De Bruyne was given the veto on whether Courtois was allowed to continue playing with the national team!

Can imagine them national team trips are very awkward

It was the other way about, Onyewu broke one of Zlatans ribs.

I was there. The match. Not the rammy at HT you understand. Second half we destroyed Dolly. That 92/93 season apart from losing early doors 4-3 away at Dens we played some of the Best Football I've ever seen from The Rangers.
Me too. Aitken scored for Aberdeen just to add to the unrest!

England bust ups due to clubs still happens. Sterling and Gomez were fighting not long ago on England duty.

Read Numans book and don’t think he had much time for Amo.

Lahm and Ballack can't stand each other either. Ballack got injured, so Lahm took over the captaincy (or Mannschaftskapitän) role. When Ballack got fit again, he told him to f*ck off, won the World Cup then retired.

I actually think they thought highly of one another. I always remember after we beat Hearts 5-1 in the cup final, Gazza described Laudrup as the "most unselfish footballer" he had ever played with.
When I was writing the post all I could think of in my head was the image of Gazza grabbing Laudrup with two hands by the sides of his head after he had just scored the header that won 9IAR. Kind of confirms what everyone says that they seemed to get along great.

Emlyn Hughes and Tommy Smith at Liverpool.
Think it was more hatred from Smith to Hughes. I could have heard wrong but Smith thought Hughes as a whining, soft individual who made it to England Captain. Didn't Tommy say Hughes spoiled his greatest moment when he scored in the European Cup final and got hugged by him?!!!

Watching Open Goal with Derek Ferguson and Ian Durrant is quite funny, especially when they talk about Trevor Francis. They just thought he was a pretentious wank and they noised him right up.

Ferguson wasn’t too complimentary towards Gough either saying “he’s just borin man. He’s a fuckin briefcase”.
One of the most boring books I ever read was a Gough autobiography funnily enough.

Read somewhere (probably on here) that John Greig and Gordon Smith didn’t get on.

Greig and Cooper were not the best of mates as Ham and Eggs tried to punt him

Having watched Cooper throughout that time I could well understand Greig's frustration at times with him. Coop was an absolute genius when he really wanted to be but there were also many occasions when he could be invisible. I always remember a journalist quoting Greig as sayin that he could look at Coop on the day of a match and tell exactly how he would perform. I don't know if that was the fasis of their animosity but it was understandable.

I met Sutton and a bunch of their team incl Lennon in Dublin through a a works thing and believe me, they all thought he was a bellend.
Was told a story about Sutton by someone who worked at Celtic Park. The staff were having their Christmas party in one of the suites and a few players came along and were mingling away quite the thing. One guy who was described as a really nice quiet guy, was in the toilet when Sutton came in and made a friendly remark to Sutton who promptly decided to batter 7 shades out if the guy. Medical staff and O'Neil both called out and it was brushed under the carpet. The guy left in disgust a couple of weeks later after Sutton refused to not only apologise but even acknowledged that it happened.

Calum Butcher got transfered by Dundee United in the summer after he shagged Benji Siegrists wife.

In a similar vein - Lyndon Dykes and Jim Thomson.

Thomson let him stay with him when he first came over from Australia. He ended up pumping/going with his mrs, who was 13 years older than him. They now have a child called "Time".

A riot, and a shite striker also.

Phil Thompson and Graeme Souness. Don't think they're on speaking terms to this day?
John Kennedy levels of bravery antagonising Souness for a lifetime. Surprised Thompson can still walk or even breathe.

Any former Liverpool captains who actually passed the armband on without throwing a hissy with their successor?

Never heard that one before.

Rio proper hated most Chelsea/Liverpool players when they went on England duty. Think him and Lampard had a weird ongoing personal dislike.
I saw a programme where Gerrard, Lampard and Ferdinand were talking about this… basically the club rivalries really got in the way of the respective sets of players interacting during international periods.

They were all primed to keep their cards close to their chest to players of the rival teams and it contributed massively to England doing next to nothing despite having that cracking squad of players.

Off topic but a few posts on here have reminded me of a story about Emlyn Hughes , he’d played about 20 games for Blackpool when Liverpool signed him , Shankly picked him up & was driving him over to Anfield to sign & got stopped by the police for speeding , he’s telling the coppers he’s taking the next England captain to sign for Liverpool , Hughes said the cops were looking in the car to see who it was & obviously never recognised him.

Andy Goram and Nigel Spackman.

Andy decked Spackman at half time during a game v Aberdeen. I’m sure the story was that Walter was not averse to Spackman getting a slap.
It’s come out in recent years that there was a bit of tension between them.

From memory, Spackman was gone within a couple of weeks of the Aberdeen game incident.. argument that the 3 Foreigners Rule played a part but who knows how Smith viewed atmosphere between the first choice goalkeeper and another core member of the team that was the other side of 30 by that time.

Roberts and Gough quite famously didn’t get on.

Phil Thompson and Graeme Souness. Don't think they're on speaking terms to this day?
I’m sure I read that Thompson was doing a bit of bad-mouthing/whispering about Souness while he was undergoing the heart surgery… it got to Walter Smith via Archie Knox, and Smith then travelled to Merseyside because he felt he had to tell Souness himself.

The detail & history of it was in one of Souness’ books and clearly Thompson came out of that looking like an utter prick.

Last edited:
Having watched Cooper throughout that time I could well understand Greig's frustration at times with him. Coop was an absolute genius when he really wanted to be but there were also many occasions when he could be invisible. I always remember a journalist quoting Greig as sayin that he could look at Coop on the day of a match and tell exactly how he would perform. I don't know if that was the fasis of their animosity but it was understandable.
Big John signed a load of shyte for Coop to play alongside.
Maybe when Coop looked at the rest of the teamsheet that made his mind up for him?

Back