Tonight for me means journey complete

foxinthebox

Winning 55 and last years final was fantastic but i told my son that when i hear the Champions League theme playing at Ibrox before a big game then i will know we have truly returned and the journey from 2012 is complete, it’s the last piece of the voyage for me.
It’s good to be back, now let’s go out and batter this mob

I get the argument but I know what the OP means.

In fact, I’d go further and say when when Progres knocked us out it gave us a harsh scud as to where we were.
Gerrard shook that away and made us believe we could, for want of a better phrase, “over-perform”.

I thought it would be years and years before we could even think about scraping ourselves out of qualifying level.
Now we’ve been to a major European final and are getting the CL anthem played.

I’m going to enjoy singing right over the fucking top of it.

Sorry but like others it's when we walk out for our 1st group stage game in the CL proper, tonight isn't the CL it's a qualifier tune or no tune as far as I'm concerned.

Not journey complete until we make the last 8. We've already been in the last 16 of this competition.

Qualifying (or winning the league and going straight into ) for the groups will be it for me.

But yes, we're so close.

Sorry but you’re indulging in sentimentality for the sake of it.

On what level is a playoff round “journey complete”
What exactly is this journey and by who's measurements is it completed or otherwise?

Indulging in such narrative just plays into the idea that somehow what was done to Rangers was justified and the journey was the outcome of said justified actions.

Scotland tried to kill us off forever with everyone having their kick while we were down, then enjoying a drink off our name as we made our way back. All the while they laughed and mocked our club.

There was and is no journey, there was and is only Rangers.

I don't need tokenism to feel we're back or whatever because we never left.

Not sure I could consider tonight a completion of anything TBH. Either we get through and qualify for the CL - at which stage we've returned back to the European top table after a very long spell away from it or alternatively I'd consider us making a Europa League final last season as a pretty solid sense of having returned from the place we were kicked to.

Got to get into the CL groups IMO as that cements our place back into elite level football

The finances from CL groups is where we need to be to help the financial burden on our Directors

Sorry, I know UEFA have the champions league branding over the stadium for the play off round. But this isn't proper Champions League for me.

Our first game in the group stage whenever that may be, hopefully next month. That's when I will feel all those emotions OP

I get what you mean OP but for me it's another step on the way. Journey complete would be dominating domestically and regularly getting into later rounds of Europe.

Winning 55 and last years final was fantastic but i told my son that when i hear the Champions League theme playing at Ibrox before a big game then i will know we have truly returned and the journey from 2012 is complete, it’s the last piece of the voyage for me.
It’s good to be back, now let’s go out and batter this mob
Our journey is never complete for me.
Where we were pre admin in 2012, or pre Whyte a year earlier has already been overtaken.
We’ve been champions, we’re back on our own two feet financially and, in terms of European participation, we’re probably ahead of where we were, at least in consistency and probably reputation as well.

Have we qualified for the Champions League or do we have a chance to qualify for the Champions League? You all know the answer.
Group stages is Journey complete.

Not journey complete until we make the last 8. We've already been in the last 16 of this competition.
Getting to the quarters of the Champions League would be a bigger achievement than getting to the Europa final imo.

Most teams in the CL are miles off and there’s a group of 10-12 teams who are way ahead of the rest.

We got to a European Final last season, and came within a couple of penalties of winning it.

That's a bigger achievement than getting to the group stage, or even this stage of the CL.

Agree Trevor.

Reaching Seville after beating so many quality clubs did it for me.

As you say, I’ll take the EL Final in pure football terms.

Getting to the quarters of the Champions League would be a bigger achievement than getting to the Europa final imo.

Most teams in the CL are miles off and there’s a group of 10-12 teams who are way ahead of the rest.
Exactly. Have we given up getting better?

Sorry, I know UEFA have the champions league branding over the stadium for the play off round. But this isn't proper Champions League for me.

Our first game in the group stage whenever that may be, hopefully next month. That's when I will feel all those emotions OP
Hearts have never played in the CL for me. Neither have Everton.

If reaching a European final didn't say that the journey was complete then nothing will. Reaching the Champions League would be amazing, but I'd take another EL Final spot right now.

55 was the journey back from that unjust period we were thrown into it is as simply as that! If for you it's the sound of a tune I could have downloaded and sent you a copy?

These nights are the bonuses and opportunities you get when you have achieved a placing in your top league, that is our bread and butter European football entry is the icing on a cake my friend, let's enjoy the excitement approaching!

Reaching the final of the EL is a bigger achievement than reaching the CL playoff or even the group stage proper.

You wouldn't find many international teams that would swap you a place in the European championship final for a spot in the WC playoffs or even for actual WC qualification.

I get the argument but I know what the OP means.

In fact, I’d go further and say when when Progres knocked us out it gave us a harsh scud as to where we were.
Gerrard shook that away and made us believe we could, for want of a better phrase, “over-perform”.

I thought it would be years and years before we could even think about scraping ourselves out of qualifying level.
Now we’ve been to a major European final and are getting the CL anthem played.

I’m going to enjoy singing right over the fucking top of it.
Exactly. It's mental to think we have been to a European final and we don't think it's journey complete. I include myself in that.

It's what sets us apart from other clubs all over the world and why some players can't cope. It's win or nothing.

I understand your sentiment OP, the last ten years has been ridiculously emotional and all unnecessary in my eyes. The return ended with 55 for me. No more blockades or hurdles, we now have to be performing as we did pre 2012 and judged by those standards. I can't wait until the day we run out in the Champions League proper again but I didn't feel like it ticks a box in our climb. The way its set up now I'd reckon its a once in five year event or so for us and so won't expect us to be there or judge us on the level. We've proven that the Europa League can be just as fun and profitable for us so I'd say we've completed our return to previous levels long ago.

Back