Katic

yosemite sam

This is only my opinion.
Until his injury,he was playing well.Now,very much out the picture,where i think because hes not so good with the ball distribution,Gio doesnt think he fits in.
He is strong in the air and not afraid to put his head in where it hurts.He is strong in the tackle(sometimes a bit rash,but 100 % committed to the tackle).
Hes a bit Marvin Andrews,but give me that type of cetre half any day,where his only thinking is to keep the ball away from our goals.Im not saying those goals wouldnt have happened,but im sure his head would have been in there trying to prevent it.
Hes not everyones cup of tea,but im looking at our options
Helander always injured
Soutter injury prone,and again injured.
King is really untried
Sands ISNT A CENTRE HALF.
I know Katic isnt in the european squad,but surely at domestic level hes good enough.
Should Katic be given a chance?

He was 4th choice before his injury, due to poor performances.

Katic is largely ineffective domestically, because he’s not great with the ball which means opposing teams mark Goldson and block the passing lanes.

He’s a siege defender, we seldom need to siege defend. I love him, and wish he was good enough for us, but he isn’t.

Regardless of whether or not he’s good enough (and honestly, I’ll say that after his injury and his time away I very much doubt he is), I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty - there are Goldson apologists on here who would absolutely crucify Katic if he defended the way Goldson has this season, or blundered the way he did in Seville.

Don't think Katic is at the level of our current options at the back.

The bad knee injury, he hasn't played much the loan move last season wasn't exactly a success and he looked very suspect with the ball in pre season for us.

He isn't the answer and neither is Balogun imo the clamour for these two last night was something else.

Ditch this zonal marking nonsense and have people on the posts at corners and possibly we might not have conceded those goals last night.

We would need to change our whole style and pattern of play because Katic can't play the way we want our centre halves to play
I liked him but his time at us is finished
I understand the pattern of play thing,but our midfield takes the ball off the centre backs most of the time anyway

We play out from the back so requires our defenders to be comfortable with the ball at their feet. He isn't so best for all parties if he can find a new club and get us a transfer fee.

This is only my opinion.
Until his injury,he was playing well.Now,very much out the picture,where i think because hes not so good with the ball distribution,Gio doesnt think he fits in.
He is strong in the air and not afraid to put his head in where it hurts.He is strong in the tackle(sometimes a bit rash,but 100 % committed to the tackle).
Hes a bit Marvin Andrews,but give me that type of cetre half any day,where his only thinking is to keep the ball away from our goals.Im not saying those goals wouldnt have happened,but im sure his head would have been in there trying to prevent it.
Helander always injured
King is really untried
I know Katic isnt in the european squad,but surely at domestic level hes good enough.
A lot of posters don't rate him
Me, I like him.
At his best he does what it says on the tin, defends the goal.
He is also a great threat in the opposition's goal.
Shame for the lad, he really wants to play for Rangers.

Regardless of whether or not he’s good enough (and honestly, I’ll say that after his injury and his time away I very much doubt he is), I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty - there are Goldson apologists on here who would absolutely crucify Katic if he defended the way Goldson has this season, or blundered the way he did in Seville.
I'm an apologist for Goldson, especially for what he has done here overall since he arrived here, but he was very poor on those goals last night, especially the second one.

This is only my opinion.
Helander always injured
King is really untried
He's a better one than Katic so that says something.

FWIW I thought Sands was one of our best players last night and he will get better

Don't think Katic is at the level of our current options at the back.

Bad injury hasn't played much the loan move last season wasn't exactly a success and he looked very suspect with the ball in pre season.

He isn't the answer and neither is Balogun imo the clamour for these two last night was something else.

Ditch the zonal marking and better defending would have stopped those two goals last night.

Sands is better than Katic
Hes not.

I understand the pattern of play thing,but our midfield takes the ball off the centre backs most of the time anyway
It's not quite that simple tho ,katic is just a defender we need our centre halves to be good with the ball or else other teams will just let him have it

We’ve no idea what kind of player he is anymore after his injury. He’s not the answer anyway. We should have signed a defender earlier and bedded him in.

It was a disaster waiting to happen. Goldson doesn’t look right this season as he doesn’t have a settled partner. My opinion it’s a shambles that didn’t need to happen. Let’s hope it hasn’t cost us champions league, again.

Yes for me.
Pick him, play him, give him confidence, watch him improve.
Too many people here writing off Bassey a year ago (yes, big time) and look what happened. Not saying Katic has that much potential but with support and confidence I think he is way better than Sands who just looks weak and prone to several mistakes every match. Katic also offers a threat at corners (see piggery) which we simply dont have right now.

This is a big thing for me, wasn't sure if many felt the same. I took pelters for saying I wasn't fussed when it looked like Goldson was going. Really amazes me that there's always so much discussion about the other CB place and not his.

Sands is miles better than Katic and it’s not even close. These are centre backs I would rather have at centre back over Katic. Goldson, sands, Davies, king, souttar and helanders. Katic is pretty poor, hes terrible with the ball at his feet and he gets beaten in the air fairly often due to the fact he jumps for every ball, even ones he has no chance of winning.

I liked the big man, but he was never great at being switched on tactically. At this level, I think he would find himself very out of his depth. He could have got a couple of headed clearances at corners, but been exploited for a number of goals against elsewhere in the game.

I think Katic gets a raw deal.

He's not the answer in terms of being a first choice starter as he is poor on the ball which impacts everything.

He is however better and more reliable than Souttar

Nope he's not good enough nor does he fit in how to Gio wants us to play from the back. His injury saved him from being punted in 2020 given how it was going for him.

Out of interest who would he replace in the Euro Squad?
We're stretched enough in some positions already without adding another central defender. Sands can also cover right back and midfield.

This is only my opinion.
Helander always injured
King is really untried

SANDS IS A CENTRE HALF

He has played there under various coaches at different teams and national level. So are the people who pick teams for a living wrong or a random poster on a message board.

He has been our best centre half this season, is the most comfortable on the ball and the most two footed out of them all. Gio wants us to build from the back and pass out that is what Sands brings.

Katic would be better than Sands or Davies in the air, but would get destroyed on the deck against teams like PSV.

His time is up, hopefully he gets a decent move and gets on with his career.

This is a big thing for me, wasn't sure if many felt the same. I took pelters for saying I wasn't fussed when it looked like Goldson was going. Really amazes me that there's always so much discussion about the other CB place and not his.
Started last season like a guy didn’t want to be here either. 55 season aside he’s always had spells of really poor and often costly form. The comments after getting scudded by Hibs at Hampden. Waiting till the last minute to fall back on us if a better offer never came in.

Yet some talk about him as though he’s Baresi, or like he’s Mr Rangers and the side would just crumble without him.

Latest posts

Back