Kent

He played well and if Malik had passed to his left he would have likely scored too. We wouldn't have been that critical of him then. He's not 100 yet but still had some decent attacking play.

just like he scored in the europa oeague final? whether or not the goal would have stood, that ball should have been buried in the back of the net.

kent contributes so much to our play but his conversion of chances has needed massive improvement for a long time and I don't think it's fair to single out tillman as at fault

just like he scored in the europa oeague final? whether or not the goal would have stood, that ball should have been buried in the back of the net.

kent contributes so much to our play but his conversion of chances has needed massive improvement for a long time and I don't think it's fair to single out tillman as at fault
Let's not talk about the final.. I was thinking more the West Ham pre season where he scored similar.

PS I don't blame Tillman, guys a boss one of my favourite players, can I still say favourite? The way he's scored the last two and his playmaking he had a right to shoot. Just felt Kent was in a better position to pull the trigger

Is this going to be the first we’ve agreed on something?
He’s not the colossus he’s made out to be?
Dont get me wrong here, I wanted him to stay but that was mainly down to others leaving and it costing a fair bit to replace him.
Never been his biggest fan.
He's decent and always available, but there's always a mistake lurking beneath the surface.

The full back Teze he was up against has recently been playing for the Dutch national side.

Do the people criticising take no consideration of the opponents quality?
Of course, problem is he often doesn’t do enough domestically and he’s up against garbage there.

First half i thought he was good but 2nd half he was largely anonymous, whether that's down to his injury/fitness or PSV getting to grips with him i don't know.

Once again he went missing tonight. The only conclusion you can reach is that he isn't really good enough at this level. A good fullback susses him out every time.

However, we can only buy what we can afford, which is why it's vital we somehow get the win next week. The difference in cash between CL and EL football is night and day. If the mentally challengeds lose every game they play in the group stage they would still make four times what we did going all the way to the EL final. That has to have an influence on the standard of player we can field.
So you didn’t notice the PSV defenders doubling up on him? Your conclusion is wrong, he is well capable of playing at this level, they guy isn’t even fully recovered yet.

One of the best players we have in Europe makes a big difference to the team even when he's not playing well as he works hard both ways.

Kent is a bit of enigma. His work rate is second to none but his end product is sometimes woeful. If he could work on that part of his game he would be awesome

So you didn’t notice the PSV defenders doubling up on him? Your conclusion is wrong, he is well capable of playing at this level, they guy isn’t even fully recovered yet.
I don't think we'll ever see the best version of Ryan Kent.
He has talent to burn, but lacks the football brain to use that talent to best effect.
If he had that football brain we would've seen it by now.
He's no better than he was three years ago.

Kent is a bit of enigma. His work rate is second to none but his end product is sometimes woeful. If he could work on that part of his game he would be awesome
He obviously does work on his game. What do you think they do every day in training.
He simply lacks the football brain to take his game to the next level.

Once again he went missing tonight. The only conclusion you can reach is that he isn't really good enough at this level. A good fullback susses him out every time.

However, we can only buy what we can afford, which is why it's vital we somehow get the win next week. The difference in cash between CL and EL football is night and day. If the mentally challengeds lose every game they play in the group stage they would still make four times what we did going all the way to the EL final. That has to have an influence on the standard of player we can field.
What a hideously bad take.

Last edited:
I've fairly upfront on how I feel about some of his play and end product, but last night, yes he did not have his best game, but you can say that about every player, especially in the 2nd half, and the guy he was up against looked a very good player, forgot his name, but he more than matched Kent for pace, which is an esential part of his game, and the beginnings of an offensive move. someone posted somewhere which nails it is "we aint gonna look like world beaters against this quality of teams". context is king, we're no playing scottish mince here, a lot of people seem to forget that, their skewed perspective is leading to a lot of over the top criticism imo.

Kent had a fine game, attacking threat and hard working all night.

People will only realise how good he is once he's gone.

Rangers fans seem to want to judge every winger against a standard set by Johnston, Henderson and Laudrup. 3 guys who were not only genuinely world class, but had the added luxury of playing against much slower, less athletic defenders.

The modern defenders that Kent faces, even domestically, are invariably fast, athletic and 6 foot plus. Even Laudrup still got to play against some absolute traffic cones by comparison.

Kent had a fine game, attacking threat and hard working all night.

People will only realise how good he is once he's gone.

Rangers fans seem to want to judge every winger against a standard set by Johnston, Henderson and Laudrup. 3 guys who were not only genuinely world class, but had the added luxury of playing against much slower, less athletic defenders.

The modern defenders that Kent faces, even domestically, are invariably fast, athletic and 6 foot plus. Even Laudrup still got to play against some absolute traffic cones by comparison.
The standard of SPFL defenders is at an all-time low.

The standard of SPFL defenders is at an all-time low.

I disagree. The standard of team in general may be at an all time low but the standard of athleticism and fitness in defenders is at an all time high.

Where are the chunky wee full backs now?

Teams are also far more organised than they were.

Players might be poorer overall, but defenders are harder to beat in 1 on 1 footraces and dribbles.

Kent was every bit as effective as Gakpo last night.

I disagree. The standard of team in general may be at an all time low but the standard of athleticism and fitness in defenders is at an all time high.

Players might be poorer overall, but defenders are harder to beat in 1 on 1 footraces and dribbles.

We'll agree to disagree on the standard of defenders.
I don't think Kent was particularly poor last night at all. He was decent.

Love the guy but he definitely looked like he was still recovering from an injury tonight. Was very quiet IMO apart from one or two decent runs, but they didn’t penetrate it cause their defence an issue.

Thought he ought to have been subbed and to be honest for last 20 minutes or so, I would have tried Alfie along with Colak.

The score line is kind of irrelevant, even if we had won 3-2, or even lost 3-2, it is not a huge advantage to either side. The second leg is key and we must get it right.

Hopefully with another week of rest Kent will be sharper..
Barisic is making him look worse than he is.

Thought he was good we just didn’t get the ball to him enough. There were a couple of times Tillman should have played him in instead of having a weak shot from distance

One for sure where he had that great run through the middle, if he had just slipped him in it was a goal

I would check your Math.

Everything you just said is wrong.

One for sure where he had that great run through the middle, if he had just slipped him in it was a goal
Only if he hits the target with his shot. Not exactly his strong point.
The run Kent had in the second half, where he skipped past three PSV players as though they weren't there simply sums him up, great talent but again failed to use that talent to best effect by failing to complete his pass.

This Kent debate is polarizing the support more than any player I remember.

Indeed there people on this board who claim Kent is a better player than Davie Cooper and Brian laudrup ....
And they won't accept any criticism of Kent.

Kent has underperformed greatly in his time with us !

He's a good player but not as good as many think and as inconsistent as you like .
He is not a game changer often enough in the nitty gritty standard spl fodder which is arguably what we need first I don't care what any of his fans think he passes backwards far to often for a supposed "game changer "

This Kent debate is polarizing the support more than any player I remember.

Indeed there people on this board who claim Kent is a better player than Davie Cooper and Brian laudrup ....
And they won't accept any criticism of Kent.

Kent has underperformed greatly in his time with us !

He's a good player but not as good as many think and as inconsistent as you like .
He is not a game changer often enough in the nitty gritty standard spl fodder which is arguably what we need first I don't care what any of his fans think he passes backwards far to often for a supposed "game changer "
If he hadn't underperformed teams would be lining up right now to sign him on the cheap with under a year to go on his contract

Love the guy but he definitely looked like he was still recovering from an injury tonight. Was very quiet IMO apart from one or two decent runs, but they didn’t penetrate it cause their defence an issue.

Thought he ought to have been subbed and to be honest for last 20 minutes or so, I would have tried Alfie along with Colak.

The score line is kind of irrelevant, even if we had won 3-2, or even lost 3-2, it is not a huge advantage to either side. The second leg is key and we must get it right.

Hopefully with another week of rest Kent will be sharper..
He was very similar v Union at home.

Due a big performance from Kent. Tuesday would be ideal.

Edit - I'd rest him at the weekend as he's clearly not 100%

You may have a point, but can you explain why the likes of Jota is absolutely tearing it up in our league and making the same defenders look like amateurs?

Even last season, a 19 year old Abada, in his first season in Scottish football, contributed more domestically than Kent did.

You may have a point, but can you explain why the likes of Jota is absolutely tearing it up in our league and making the same defenders look like amateurs?

Even last season, a 19 year old Abada, in his first season in Scottish football, contributed more domestically than Kent did.
Is this even true Abada ?

Is this even true Abada ?

36 league games: 10 goals, 7 assists. Average game time was 60 mins.

All competitions: 52 games, 15 goals, 11 assists. Average game time 61 mins.

26 league games: 2 goals, 12 assists. Average game time 82 mins.

All competitions: 46 games, 3 goals, 20 assists. Average game time 84 mins.

Back