I was slated for my weight at Rangers just like Alfredo Morelos but he needs to prove he’s fit to start writes Kris Boyd

BlueMeanie

ALFREDO MORELOS posted a cryptic message on social media.
But he’s got to realise that now’s the time for action.
Alfredo Morelos watching on as Rangers faced PSV

Not mysterious words.
“A warrior is not the one who always wins. He’s the one who always fights.”
That’s a rough translation of what the Rangers striker posted on Instagram the other night after he was an unused sub against PSV Eindhoven.
It’s obviously open to interpretation.

If Morelos was telling everyone he’s ready to fight for his place at Rangers, then that’s precisely the attitude he should have.
But saying it is one thing. Actually doing it is another.
And it’s high time he proved he’s ready, willing and able to battle his way back into the Rangers line-up.
Listen, no one is a bigger fan of the striker than me — it was only a few weeks ago I stuck my neck out and spoke highly of him in the Jota “best-player-in-the-country” debate.

I’ll revisit that one in the coming weeks.
But let’s get it right — Morelos is now faced with his biggest challenge as a Rangers player.
Antonio Colak is the main man at the club right now and the first name on the teamsheet, having scored four goals in his last four games.
Morelos may be the club’s record goalscorer in European competition. But that counts for absolutely nothing right now.
Not when he’s nowhere near fit enough for Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s liking.
The fact Morelos didn’t get on the pitch against PSV spoke volumes for me.
At 2-2 on Tuesday night, Rangers could have been doing with a lift in the closing minutes.
Whether it was anxiety or not, the crowd had fallen flat after the Dutch side’s late equaliser and Morelos could have given everyone a boost.
But Van Bronckhorst didn’t turn to him and, for me, that was him sending the Colombian a message. Everyone can see he’s a few pounds overweight.
OK, he’s been out injured for a while but he’s been back training for weeks now.
It’s as clear as day and Morelos has to do something about it — and quickly.
I’ve been there. My weight and size was something I was constantly criticised for throughout my career.
But ask any manager I worked under and they’ll all tell you I trained hard every single day.

Morelos is very similar but until now he’s always relied on game time to trim down.
But he can’t use that if he’s not getting back in the team.
He has to get his head down in training — and away from the club — and work like never before to get back to the level he was at when Gio first arrived.
His match sharpness will only come from games.
But he can definitely get himself into better shape by grafting behind the scenes. There are no excuses otherwise.
It’s time he showed what he’s made of and accepted the challenge Colak has thrown down to him.
Otherwise he could find himself on the bench for a long, long time.
I know Colak has faced some criticism himself since joining the club, but not from me.
I’ve always liked what I’ve seen from him and it’s come as no surprise to me that he’s hit the net once the chances have started to come.
Mark Hateley was extremely harsh on him after his first European game and branded his performance a waste of time.
His assessment reminded me of how he used to slate me when I played for Rangers too.
My answer was always to invite him to come into the training ground and show me where I was going wrong.
But I never heard a thing back. And I’m still waiting.

Colak CAN can improve his game — he’s far from the finished article — but he brings plenty to this Rangers team and he’s not going to just step aside for Morelos.
Van Bronckhorst isn’t likely to be in any hurry to change things either, given he signed the Croatian.
But what he needs is a striker he can trust to be fully fit and ready to go when required, and then it’s down to Morelos to grab his opportunity.
But the key is showing determination to fight for his position. If he can get fit then he’ll back himself to out-score Colak because that’s how good strikers always feel.
That was my way of thinking during my spells at Ibrox.
It didn’t matter which other frontmen were at the club, in my head I was the best.
I always felt I just needed to get into the team to score goals.
There were games when the gaffer would leave me on the bench and I had to suck it up, which was hard.
I was a substitute for a lot of Old Firm derbies and it was the same situation in Europe.
But I knew most weekends in the league I’d still be one of the first names on the teamsheet — and I had to be ready.
Morelos has to do the same. Trust me, sulking about constantly being a sub won’t get him anywhere.
I was never the best at dealing with it and had plenty of fall-outs.
But no matter how frustrated I got, I’d never allow it to affect my preparation for the weekend.
Posting messages on Twitter or his Insta account is great for the galleries to see but eventually those followers will see through it.

It certainly won’t get him the new contract everyone keeps going on about.
Because right now Van Bronckhorst will be asking himself if Morelos actually deserves a new deal like the one James Tavernier signed last week.

Oh %^*& off. He’ll be absolutely fine, just as he always is when people start posting nonsense about his weight. This time he’s been out injured for months and he’s still getting it.

Boyd was an utter disgrace in that second spell, if anything he wasn’t slated enough. He was a joke for a so called professional athlete.

First Hateley now Boyd.

Morelos has been out for months after having surgery he's not going to be firing on all cylinders in a couple of games.

What absolute nonsense from Boyd.
Not only that we should be praised for bringing in a striker who can deliver consistently in Colak so we dont have to rush Morelos back and possibly cause him more problems.

Such a weird article

Hmmmm. Nonsense article creating silly arguments that no one in their right mind makes.

The lad is returning from a fairly long term injury. He will be managed back into the games.

Fully fit, he will start more than he won’t compare to colak

He’s just coming back from long term injury and for the first time since he signed we have another striker who is consistently banging them in.

Winning his place back will take time but its created healthy competition upfront.

But I am surprised he didn't get a chance last Tuesday.

I like Kris Boyd. Given his effort and shape he was in during the 2014 / 2015 season, he has no right to lecture any Rangers player on fitness.
Mate he literally downed tools and subbed himself in a Cup Final because he was too hot

A CUP FINAL…FOR RANGERS!
I love Boydy, I do but this article is a nonsense that makes you think he’s towing the party line

First Hateley now Boyd.

Morelos has been out for months after having surgery he's not going to be firing on all cylinders in a couple of games.

What absolute nonsense from Boyd.
Kyogo has had the same scrutiny for being fucking miles off it after injury I take it?!
No thought not, %^*& our media and %^*& any ex player complicit to the Rangers negativity

Mate he literally downed tools and subbed himself in a Cup Final because he was too hot

A CUP FINAL…FOR RANGERS!
I love Boydy, I do but this article is a nonsense that makes you think he’s towing the party line
“It’s too hot to play football out there”

His exact words going down the tunnel at half time.

Give him time, man.

Morelos has nothing to prove to us and there is no need for us to rush anything with him. He was out for 5 months with a bad injury, of course it's going to take time to get back to his top level, but we have another very good in-form striker so we can easily afford to give him that time.

Also this bit

“It didn’t matter which other frontmen were at the club, in my head I was the best”

Fair play to Boyd for convincing himself he was the best despite rarely being trusted or deemed good enough to start against the best sides, i.e. against the scum and in Europe.
Darcheville was hardly prolific but I’d take him 100x out of 100 in a big game or Euro tie. Workrate, application, desire, channels, link up, fitness.
There’s a reason why JC Darch was allowed to take it easy by Walter in training, he trusted him on the big stage
Facts

Darcheville was hardly prolific but I’d take him 100x out of 100 in a big game or Euro tie. Workrate, application, desire, channels, link up, fitness.
There’s a reason why JC Darch was allowed to take it easy by Walter in training, he trusted him on the big stage
Facts
Exactly. Boyd was a brilliant finisher, the best at the club. But he was lacking in literally every single other facet of his game. Basically he was great in games where we could create clear cut chances for him, but in games against decent sides that wouldn’t let us do that, he wasn’t much use.

ALFREDO MORELOS posted a cryptic message on social media.
But he’s got to realise that now’s the time for action.
Alfredo Morelos watching on as Rangers faced PSV

Not mysterious words.
“A warrior is not the one who always wins. He’s the one who always fights.”
That’s a rough translation of what the Rangers striker posted on Instagram the other night after he was an unused sub against PSV Eindhoven.
It’s obviously open to interpretation.

If Morelos was telling everyone he’s ready to fight for his place at Rangers, then that’s precisely the attitude he should have.
But saying it is one thing. Actually doing it is another.
And it’s high time he proved he’s ready, willing and able to battle his way back into the Rangers line-up.
Listen, no one is a bigger fan of the striker than me — it was only a few weeks ago I stuck my neck out and spoke highly of him in the Jota “best-player-in-the-country” debate.

I’ll revisit that one in the coming weeks.
But let’s get it right — Morelos is now faced with his biggest challenge as a Rangers player.
Antonio Colak is the main man at the club right now and the first name on the teamsheet, having scored four goals in his last four games.
Morelos may be the club’s record goalscorer in European competition. But that counts for absolutely nothing right now.
Not when he’s nowhere near fit enough for Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s liking.
The fact Morelos didn’t get on the pitch against PSV spoke volumes for me.
At 2-2 on Tuesday night, Rangers could have been doing with a lift in the closing minutes.
Whether it was anxiety or not, the crowd had fallen flat after the Dutch side’s late equaliser and Morelos could have given everyone a boost.
But Van Bronckhorst didn’t turn to him and, for me, that was him sending the Colombian a message. Everyone can see he’s a few pounds overweight.
OK, he’s been out injured for a while but he’s been back training for weeks now.
It’s as clear as day and Morelos has to do something about it — and quickly.
I’ve been there. My weight and size was something I was constantly criticised for throughout my career.
But ask any manager I worked under and they’ll all tell you I trained hard every single day.

Morelos is very similar but until now he’s always relied on game time to trim down.
But he can’t use that if he’s not getting back in the team.
He has to get his head down in training — and away from the club — and work like never before to get back to the level he was at when Gio first arrived.
His match sharpness will only come from games.
But he can definitely get himself into better shape by grafting behind the scenes. There are no excuses otherwise.
It’s time he showed what he’s made of and accepted the challenge Colak has thrown down to him.
Otherwise he could find himself on the bench for a long, long time.
I know Colak has faced some criticism himself since joining the club, but not from me.
I’ve always liked what I’ve seen from him and it’s come as no surprise to me that he’s hit the net once the chances have started to come.
Mark Hateley was extremely harsh on him after his first European game and branded his performance a waste of time.
His assessment reminded me of how he used to slate me when I played for Rangers too.
My answer was always to invite him to come into the training ground and show me where I was going wrong.
But I never heard a thing back. And I’m still waiting.

Colak CAN can improve his game — he’s far from the finished article — but he brings plenty to this Rangers team and he’s not going to just step aside for Morelos.
Van Bronckhorst isn’t likely to be in any hurry to change things either, given he signed the Croatian.
But what he needs is a striker he can trust to be fully fit and ready to go when required, and then it’s down to Morelos to grab his opportunity.
But the key is showing determination to fight for his position. If he can get fit then he’ll back himself to out-score Colak because that’s how good strikers always feel.
That was my way of thinking during my spells at Ibrox.
It didn’t matter which other frontmen were at the club, in my head I was the best.
I always felt I just needed to get into the team to score goals.
There were games when the gaffer would leave me on the bench and I had to suck it up, which was hard.
I was a substitute for a lot of Old Firm derbies and it was the same situation in Europe.
But I knew most weekends in the league I’d still be one of the first names on the teamsheet — and I had to be ready.
Morelos has to do the same. Trust me, sulking about constantly being a sub won’t get him anywhere.
I was never the best at dealing with it and had plenty of fall-outs.
But no matter how frustrated I got, I’d never allow it to affect my preparation for the weekend.
Posting messages on Twitter or his Insta account is great for the galleries to see but eventually those followers will see through it.

It certainly won’t get him the new contract everyone keeps going on about.
Because right now Van Bronckhorst will be asking himself if Morelos actually deserves a new deal like the one James Tavernier signed last week.
Bullshit article from Kris Boyd. Playing to the galleries himself methinks…

Why do our ex players give the current players digs in the mhedia, yet that lots ex players pull the head clean off it with the current crop of World superstars they have and market them at 20 odd million

The sentiment isn’t wrong; Colak is in possession of the jersey and Alfie has to get himself 100% fit and challenging for his place. He’s had a long time out and getting back to full fitness will take time and hard work.

But the comparison of Boyd himself and Alfie is laughable. Boyd was an outstanding finisher, ridiculously natural, but Alfredo works defenders harder in an average game than Boyd did in his entire career. Their work rates can’t be compared, their physical impact on games can’t be compared.

Different players, different injuries, different body types. As mental as it is not everyone has the same genetic make up.
Agree but keeping body shape by working out should not be beyond him,I know match fitness is a different situation.

Boyd has been on fire for a while getting it right up that mob but this article is nonsense.
Agreed it is a totally different tone than usual. It's worse as Boyd was a striker so you'd think he'd be saying give Alfredo time to get back to it.

I was never a huge fan of Boyd and am of Morelos
But anyone can see he has let himself go - again - and is over weight
It is one thing to be lacking match sharpness after a long time out. It is quite another to come back overweight.
There is no excuse for it no matter how hard some may try to justify it

Alfredo works defenders harder in an average game than Boyd did in his entire career.
Yes Coisty tried to get Boyd playing in that style and destroyed a prolific goal scorer,that's why Gio can't afford to get Colac to play that way.

The pictures of him recently will tell you he's not in shape. Posters are just lying to themselves now.
He is just that build. It doesn't remotely effect his game. He's never blowing out his arse and is always raging when he's subbed. He trims down when gets a run of games. It's such a nothing issue.

He is just that build. It doesn't remotely effect his game. He's never blowing out his arse and is always raging when he's subbed. He trims down when gets a run of games. It's such a nothing issue.
That's not his build he's out of shape the Morelos a few years ago never looked like that and could go past players with a burst of pace that's gone from his game.

Pointless discussion as some are just kidding themselves on.

Last edited:
This is a crucial period in Morelos's career, he needs to be in the team and be at his best level so he can get the move he wants, or best deal from Rangers. I would be amazed if he was out of condition right now.

Too many bringing Colak into Alfie conundrum. I really like Colak and if Alfie isn't fit, he plays.

Alfie and a few others have dragged us from laughing stock to unbeaten Terry Munro banishers, European finalists and respected team unit.

Morelos will be back and shut utter halfwits up and hopefully he and Colak can help each other in staying fresh and sharp.

Alfie on form is perhaps the best player in the country. He makes everyone in the team better as he occupies the opponents or have we forgotten?

I was never a huge fan of Boyd and am of Morelos
But anyone can see he has let himself go - again - and is over weight
It is one thing to be lacking match sharpness after a long time out. It is quite another to come back overweight.
There is no excuse for it no matter how hard some may try to justify it
If we were talking about any other player, the same posters defending Morelos with excuses, would be calling out any other player for letting himself go a bit despite being out injured.

There are some posters on here that just can’t acknowledge Morelos is at fault for something.

Anyone that doesn’t think Morelos is heavier than he should be are in denial. Simple as that.

Back