2 years ago Lille bid £16m for AM

Jorg

Official Ticketer
a player on top of his game and in demand

can we be reasoned and fair and discuss what has happened since then

good or bad, positives and negatives

what i meant with the OP is..

"how have we come from that stage in his career to where he is at right now"

He wasn't even at the top of his game when the Lille bid came in.

He had been well off it for 6 months by that stage. Hindsight is great but I am still glad we didn't take the £16m.

What we achieved and very nearly achieved since then is worth more.

Not a chance…but I admire your optimism.

Beyond that, I’d have taken the money at the time as he’s never been quick enough to go to a top level team.

I’d also like to add that I love him to bits but he’s a bit of a tit at times.

We valued him at £18m at the time and the board were lauded for not giving him away on the cheap.

With hindsight it looks like we should have probably taken it, but then would we have won 55 and gotten as far in Europe as we did?

The problem with Morelos is that we’ve never been able to rely on him for a full season.

At some point petulance and immaturity seems to kick in and he’s like a man down for weeks sometimes months on end, unfit and disinterested, then all of a sudden the real Alfie returns and everyone falls in love with him once more.

Personally I’ve grown tired of that and feel we need to sell and reinvest the money in someone we can count on for a full season.

Trouble is, he has a year left on his contract and his stock has plummeted once again so realistically how much are we actually going to get for him?

He is. Not even in his prime yet, a much better all round player and deadly in Europe.

20 million or gtfo!
say we valued him at half that 10m

do you think there would be numerous clubs in for him (even at half your value of AM)

Look at the places we have been in last couple of years and the part Alfie has played in that. If you asked one of the Beggars to be honest and what would they give for a European final and most would have handed us the league for that moment.

We would not have been there without Alfie among others. He is childish and self centred at times but that is also what makes him quality. We made the right move keeping him and have had hell of a last two years.

Probably best to wait for the dust to settle and take a much more rational review in a couple of months.

Comparing the highest or highs with the lowest of lows isn’t useful and doesn’t give any sort of clear picture.

what i meant with the OP is..

"how have we come from that stage in his career to where he is at right now"

1. Gio ran him into the ground thurs-sun-thurs-sun instead of trusting Roofe to take over on the Sunday games.

2. Picked up an injury which was then compounded by going on international duty.

3. Has returned from injury over weight and moody that he’s been left out.

4. Has had harsh words with Gio and Sunday’s Red Card was the final straw.

It’s more than he’s worth and yet we did the right thing rejecting it as we won 55.

The Europa League run and 55 were worth a lot more than £16m so Ross Wilson deserves credit for weighing up the risks.

His professionalism would put off any well run club and his numbers don’t stand out that much more than journeymen that come into this league every year.

It’s just not worth the circus anymore, it was 4 years ago when we were a riot with no assets.

Morelos' peak was Gerrard's first 18 months where he scored almost half his Rangers total (59 goals). Those six months of season 19/20 he was on another level. The Morelos who ragdolled Porto and Feyenoord is the best striker since peak Hateley

Since then ? The goals have dried up (35 in his two full seasons since) and his performances over the piece have been nowhere near the same consistency

So you're left with a player who peaked three years ago, who has a string of poor behaviour/attitude incidents, who has been dropped by two managers for fitness and attitude concerns and with a year left on his deal with his value decreasing by the day.

The choices then -

1. Punt at a knockdown price this window, take what we can and reinvest in a fitter and more professional striker

2. Allow him to play out this season and watch him leave for a free

3. Offer him a bumper new contract in the hope he stays whilst praying he wraps his nonsense and doesn't enter the comfort zone he seems to have been in since 2020.

As it stands, I don't see any other choice other than the first.

Morelos’ peak was the January of 2020. In hindsight, from a business perspective, that was the time to cash in. The Athletic said teams were willing to pay big money, which you’d assume would exceed the Lille bid and be closer to £20m

Where he is now?

You say that like he's not just back from injury, scores on his return and then had one bad moment against hibs, that most referees would call a yellow.

We were all desperate for morelos back and now suddenly people are writing him off again? Our support is so bi polar. It's either all heroic or horrific, and no acceptable in between.

Was he? Do we know for sure the bid was there? Seems to me the Scottish media were desperate for him to move on but I’m not sure any club was breaking our door down.

As a player I think he is a terrific but as a member of a team, nah, not for me anymore.

1. Gio ran him into the ground thurs-sun-thurs-sun instead of trusting Roofe to take over on the Sunday games.

2. Picked up an injury which was then compounded by going on international duty.

3. Has returned from injury over weight and moody that he’s been left out.

4. Has had harsh words with Gio and Sunday’s Red Card was the final straw.
At the start of the season I actually thought his head was in a good place - seemed to be ahead of schedule and working hard on his rehab, when he came on he was all smiles. Having a Spanish speaking head coach seemed to be a big plus.

Couple of weeks on and that relationship has fractured - seemingly with manager AND the rest of the dressing room.

Nobody has came back in for him despite his best efforts, not he’s back to his petulant ways & will leave on a free

Morelos' peak was Gerrard's first 18 months where he scored almost half his Rangers total (59 goals). Those six months of season 19/20 he was on another level. The Morelos who ragdolled Porto and Feyenoord is the best striker since peak Hateley

Since then ? The goals have dried up (35 in his two full seasons since) and his performances over the piece have been nowhere near the same consistency

So you're left with a player who peaked three years ago, who has a string of poor behaviour/attitude incidents, who has been dropped by two managers for fitness and attitude concerns and with a year left on his deal with his value decreasing by the day.

The choices then -

1. Punt at a knockdown price this window, take what we can and reinvest in a fitter and more professional striker

2. Allow him to play out this season and watch him leave for a free

3. Offer him a bumper new contract in the hope he stays whilst praying he wraps his nonsense and doesn't enter the comfort zone he seems to have been in since 2020.

As it stands, I don't see any other choice other than the first.

3 isnt going to happen. 2 might, and he may even sign a new deal in the same way that Goldon did, should nobody else offer him what he thinks he's worth.

The club needs to consider 1.

I said at the time and many times since we should have taken it.

6 months ago folk said we will get offered 20 this summer

Where he is now?

You say that like he's not just back from injury, scores on his return and then had one bad moment against hibs, that most referees would call a yellow.

We were all desperate for morelos back and now suddenly people are writing him off again? Our support is so bi polar. It's either all heroic or horrific, and no acceptable in between.
It's September mate and he's at least a month of fitness. I'm afraid there's a time to let go and it's now. Then you throw in the dressing room getting divided.

I can't see his contract being renewed now so what we get for him won't be much, his first couple of seasons were his peak and when he was worth the most.
Obviously, this story coming out will do his value no favours.

I said at the time we should have taken the 16 million and bought two new strikers with half of the cash.

I still think we should have despite Morelos giving us some great moments since then.

I think we have forgotten that Alfie carried this team wrt goals for a few of seasons. When he was scoring and playing well, Rangers did well, when he was off it, we often struggled to score, he is/was that important to this team.
If he is finished at Rangers, we need to replace him quickly otherwise this will be massive for our season.
The OP is right, how the hell did we get to this stage with our best player.

I can't see his contract being renewed now so what we get for him won't be much, his first couple of seasons were his peak and when he was worth the most.
Obviously, this story coming out will do his value no favours.
You think we will let him leave for nothing without even offering him a contract ?

You think we will let him leave for nothing without even offering him a contract ?
I dunno, to be honest, it will depend on how he takes this if he buckles down and works hard he may get a chance as Gio said.
Then he may get offered a contract but then he may rather be a free agent himself and get a big signing-on fee if he finds a club.

The Alfredo we want back is the humble wee guy who appreciates the chances he has been given and wanted to use the opportunity to help improve his neighbours’ lot.
If the current manifestation of Alfredo sees himself as more important than the team and believes the hype then that is bad news for the Club, for the player and, sadly, for the folks back home that benefit from his foundation.
The coaches can only lay out the plan, it’s up to Alfredo to decide how he wants to be perceived and remembered.

Back