2 years ago Lille bid £16m for AM

Hes fcked it recond he won't even get offered the wages he on just now

his value has plummeted

does he have the minerals/fitness/attitude to come back from this

a player on top of his game and in demand

can we be reasoned and fair and discuss what has happened since then

good or bad, positives and negatives
Not too long ago he rag-dolled the Dortmund defence.
All that has happened is he got injured and hasn't yet fully recovered and regained match fitness.

No one knows what would've happened if we'd sold him then and got the £15m. His replacement could've been a duffer or he could have scored us the winner in the CL Final (yes, CL).

The focus now must be on helping Morelos get himself back in proper body and mind shape. Then either sell him or use him. I'd be happy with either but if it was my choice I'd take the money and bid him farewell.

Morelos' peak was Gerrard's first 18 months where he scored almost half his Rangers total (59 goals). Those six months of season 19/20 he was on another level. The Morelos who ragdolled Porto and Feyenoord is the best striker since peak Hateley

Since then ? The goals have dried up (35 in his two full seasons since) and his performances over the piece have been nowhere near the same consistency

So you're left with a player who peaked three years ago, who has a string of poor behaviour/attitude incidents, who has been dropped by two managers for fitness and attitude concerns and with a year left on his deal with his value decreasing by the day.

The choices then -

1. Punt at a knockdown price this window, take what we can and reinvest in a fitter and more professional striker

2. Allow him to play out this season and watch him leave for a free

3. Offer him a bumper new contract in the hope he stays whilst praying he wraps his nonsense and doesn't enter the comfort zone he seems to have been in since 2020.

As it stands, I don't see any other choice other than the first.
It’s gotta be the first, but it will be at a ridiculously low fee.

Change in how he was deployed by SG, dropping deeper to link play and allow space for Aribo/Kent to go in beyond made goals slightly dry up. GvB then reintroduced him as a goalscoring, defence occupying CF and he started to look himself, only to be overused by GvB when carrying a knock and thus injure himself missing the Europa Final as well as other vital matches.
Not been fit since, perhaps rushed back, then nose out of joint at not being number 1 CF.

His red card could have come at any time in the last 5 years, he has eradicated most of the stupidity but he still regularly gets involved in spats etc - thats his game and if you take that away you take away part of the player he is.
Perhaps his attitude in training etc is the issue, none of us are privy to that however.

Where he is now?

You say that like he's not just back from injury, scores on his return and then had one bad moment against hibs, that most referees would call a yellow.

We were all desperate for morelos back and now suddenly people are writing him off again? Our support is so bi polar. It's either all heroic or horrific, and no acceptable in between.
No most referees would correctly give a red for. Stop trying to blame refs.

I can't see his contract being renewed now so what we get for him won't be much, his first couple of seasons were his peak and when he was worth the most.
Obviously, this story coming out will do his value no favours.
I thought his peak were the games against Dortmund.
Maybe I missed him playing and excelling against a better team.

Alfredo might have made enough of a contribution with his European performances to say that he (alone) earned us close to that figure, whilst contributions of the rest of the team earned us the additional European earnings.

There's also nothing to say that we should be writing him off. He could get his career back on track, sign a contract extension with us, and be sold for a good figure still.

At this point, any interested party might now be weary of making a bid, or planning a contract offer before the end of the season. So it may well work out that we are currently his best option and he extends and finds his unbelievable level again

Also, if he doesn't, he's still been worth the small money we paid for him. He's given joy and been a hero that the fan base so badly needed following the dark days.

I just hope it doesn't end in a sour note.

If we could ever get a full season out of Morelos he would've been worth double that £16m bid.

Problem is half the time he couldn't be arsed. He'd take wee strops here or there.

No doubt he turned it on in the big European nights but domestically his form / goal scoring was nowhere near what it should've been for a player of his ability.

he needs hammered by a constant dietician/fitness coach..someone that will give him discipline

This might work out well for Morelos and Rangers,no decent team wants him.signs a new deal and fcking grows up

Unfotunately he's started to believe he's indespensible and can get away with anything he wants, his own attitude has been his undoing. He's in very real danger of ruining what should have been a very good career.

i think Rangers trusted him to do the right thing while he was rehabilitating

I thought his peak were the games against Dortmund.
Maybe I missed him playing and excelling against a better team.
100% - The best version of Morelos all round was under Gio from Nov until April when he got him injury. He was in full Roy of the rovers mode in some games, scoring goals, linking play, bullying defenders, clearing corners and generally being fantastic.

It's a pretty pointless discussion. He could've gone one to become a £40 million player at Lille and we would've been saying we undersold him. Bassey going this year was relatively accepted but showed we have maybe learned from that and to sell at a possible peak.

He wanted to join Lille and wasn’t happy he didn’t get the move ., a big mistake from the board for not taking the money and let him go then.
We’re not getting anything near that now I’d be totally surprised.

Deep down I've always felt when he leaves it won't be in a positive way. The petulance he showed when gathering all those yellow and red cards is part of his character. I loved him for it mainly but it's time to part ways. We either lose him this window for a small fee or in January for a smaller fee or next summer for nothing. I'd settle for the last option if I thought we'd get a good year from him but I don't think that's how it would pan out sadly, so next couple of weeks for me.

Looking on a positive note, he only cost a million pounds.
He has overstayed his welcome by a good bit.
For all the windows, it must be 6 now , theres nobody knocking down our door to get him.
We have had strikers over the years , kicked up and down the place, when players were really hard and they didnt get sent off like him.
Mojo and ally for a start, and look what they won and caps they got.
Get morelos to %^*& out of the club asap.

He wanted to join Lille and wasn’t happy he didn’t get the move ., a big mistake from the board for not taking the money and let him go then.
We’re not getting anything near that now I’d be totally surprised.

I don't get this kind of comment.
Morelos was an important part of winning 55 and our run to EL last 16.
Then last season he was a vital part of getting us to Seville.

Would we really have been prepared to sacrifice that for 16 million that would not necessarily be invested in another striker (brought in Roofe and Itten)?

Imagine we are sitting here with the Tims going for 12 in a row and a poor European run last season but it's OK because Lille gave us 16 million 2 seasons ago?

It's September mate and he's at least a month of fitness. I'm afraid there's a time to let go and it's now. Then you throw in the dressing room getting divided.

No most referees would correctly give a red for. Stop trying to blame refs.

Hands up from me guys, when I replied I had just finished work and hadn't seen the full story of him being left behind and the attitude issues.

I stand by that it wasn't a red, but if the management team say he's not at the fitness level he should be, his heads not in it and he's now being disruptive, then that's absolutely not on.

Alfie at his best is an incredible player for us. Hopefully it can get resolved, as that's not good news for anyone.

I'm also saying he's worth more, what are you saying?
Unfit, overweight,last year of his contract,attitude very questionable,dropped by the club and clearly not a favourite amongst his team mates.
I honestly don't see clubs queueing round the block for him now

Hands up from me guys, when I replied I had just finished work and hadn't seen the full story of him being left behind and the attitude issues.

I stand by that it wasn't a red, but if the management team say he's not at the fitness level he should be, his heads not in it and he's now being disruptive, then that's absolutely not on.

Alfie at his best is an incredible player for us. Hopefully it can get resolved, as that's not good news for anyone.
Kind of inevitable. Previous suspensions have cost us (albeit a lot unjustified), lack of fitness it's just time. Most important thing is team mentality and that has been phenomenal in last few years and can't be compromised.

I don't get this kind of comment.
Morelos was an important part of winning 55 and our run to EL last 16.
Then last season he was a vital part of getting us to Seville.

Would we really have been prepared to sacrifice that for 16 million that would not necessarily be invested in another striker (brought in Roofe and Itten)?

Imagine we are sitting here with the Tims going for 12 in a row and a poor European run last season but it's OK because Lille gave us 16 million 2 seasons ago?
He wanted to move to Lille the board wanted more money hence why he didn’t get his move. The board wanted more than the figure Lille would pay that’s why it didn’t happen. Morelos had no choice as he was under contract but he wasn’t happy.

Fair points mate but it's not even mgt team can see he's not fit. He's been the worst Ive seen him and he hasn't got any sharper. Saturday was a chance to get 30mins in and he blew it. Who knows why but it can't continue and he's had a few chances which he took well under Gerard but he looks as if he's going backwards. Clean slate needed.

Yeah, and we all complained back then that it wasn’t enough… LOL. What a fickle support we are … would be biting hands off for £18m now!!

At first, I thought this came across as the club running out of patience, which is understandable as we end up in this position with Morelos once a year (almost)

I'm sure it is at least partially the above, but briefing the situation in detail, including the explicit mention of any extension talks being shelved, feels pretty damning to me.

Wouldn't surprise me if Alfie has played his last game for us.

If our model worked he could and should have been sold after 55.

The Morelos off the pitch issues have been boring for a while. This saga has a few more episodes to run, tune in next time for his domestic fall out.

He is. Not even in his prime yet, a much better all round player and deadly in Europe.

20 million or gtfo!
I’d say he is easily worth £20m but unfortunately nobody will be paying that just now, even when they know he is worth that amount, his nonsense, fitness buzz and contract situation, might make folk only want to pay around £5m. But, season isn’t finished, it has hardly started and I believe Morelos has it in him to drive forward and have a belter of a season and then go for double figures.

at this time

it seems to be a sad decline, from a player that could do little wrong

the guy was class

now we're discussing a sub 5m value, he is out of shape, he cant be trusted anymore

Back