Lion Rampant / Union Jack day poll

Would you welcome a lion rampant / Union Jack day at Ibrox

• Yes

Votes: 1,322 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 101 7.1%

• Total voters
Another vote for either a Saltire day or flag day for Union Flag or Saltire.

Have absolutely no problem with our Union Flag but it's time to let the nats know this is our Scotland
Correct. When the independence referendum happened in 2014 I let it be known I'd be voting No to which work colleagues and a few mates told me I must hate Scotland. My reply to that was "I'm voting No because I love Scotland, not because I hate it".

Those of us born in Scotland and are Rangers fans should be reclaiming the flag of our Nation and in doing so let the SNP flag thieves know that our identity as Scottish is as relevant as anything they might claim.
We have stood back for too long and allowed these fascists to claim ownership of our Nationality.
I'd be proud to identify as a Scots Unionist which ,by the way ,is exactly what we were not that long ago before the SNP/Tartan Army stole our identity.

In my opinion we should be reclaiming our royal standard. Years gone by we used to see it quite a bit. I’d love an organised lion rampant & Union Jack day at Ibrox. There was a thread on the old board about this and I’m sure it was a very positive response.
I would be happy to get involved if pointed in the right direction of who to approach.
Love this to happen on Wednesday

I voted no, and I might be completely wrong here, but I remember as a 12yr old at Bellahouston Academy the Queen visited Govan as part of her Silver Jubilee in 1977. We were taken to Helen St to see HM motorcade exit the M8 and head to Govan. We were also told strictly only to bring UF and Saltires and definitely not the LR as it was the Royals flag and not ours to fly.

Last edited:
I voted no, and I might be completely wrong here, but I remember as a 12yr old at Bellahouston Academy the Queen visited Govan as part of her Silver Jubilee in 1977. We where taken to Helen St to see HM motorcade exit the M8 and head to Govan. We were told strictly only to bring UF and Saltires and definitely not the LR as it was the Royals flag and not ours to fly.
What do you mean not our flag to fly?

Flying The Royal Flag

Considered the unofficial national flag of Scotland, The Lion Rampant historically and legally belongs to a king or queen of Scotland. According to an Act of Parliament passed in 1672, it is an offence to fly this flag, unless on a royal residence or with the permission of the monarch.

Something happened a few years ago regarding pur badge and the lion.Someone asked about when I was on a tour once.Think it was flung out of court as it affected quite a lot of teams

Supporters Direct Scotland today (Friday 15 April 2016) expressed real concern that a significant number of SPFL football clubs could be forced to change their club crest

This follows a ruling that the Court of Lord Lyon will not re-consider its approach to the prosecution of so-called illegal badges, after Airdrieonians were forced to launch a new crest in 2015 after an action was raised against them.

Ayr United will also now change their crest for season 2017-18, after agreement was reached on a short-term dispensation.

It is a ruling which could result in a significant number of historically famous badges be consigned to history.

A Scottish Parliament Act passed in 1592 gives the Court of the Lord Lyon responsibility for prosecuting unauthorised elements in badges. The court has its own procurator fiscal.

Matters are complicated because although this responsibility is laid down in law by ancient Scottish legislation, it is currently reserved to the UK Government.

Elements such as crowns, a lion rampant, plain English bricks (“castellation”) which look like a turret above a shield, the saltire, a town’s coat of arms or use any letters are all forbidden.

Those who could face future issues include Dundee, Dundee United, East Fife, Hamilton Accies, Hibernian, Rangers, and St Johnstone.

Supporters Direct Scotland ran a petition last season, which gained 1,500 supporters, but this latest situation is sure to cause concern to fans.

Andrew Jenkin, head of Supporters Direct Scotland comments:

“This is a real worry to us. Not only were Airdrieonians forced to change their crest, but the same will now happen with Ayr United.

“We’re at a flood gates point, at which this could easily spiral out of control, and some of the best known and easily identifiable symbols of football in Scotland could be lost forever, because of an archaic rule which serves to protect nobody.

“Our clubs deliver thousands of hours of community support across the country each year, our league is one of the best attended per head of population in Europe, and Scotland supporters are regarded across the world as fans, as well as significantly supporting charities in the countries they visit. We’ve seen time after time that Scottish football can be a real force for good.

“We recognise that this is a complicated issue, and strictly speaking is not devolved to the Scottish Government, but we hope after the election this is a matter that a future administration will take extremely seriously and support our efforts to find a resolution.

It is illegal to fly the lion rampant with the double edge if there are no members of the royal household present. In fact might be only legal when her majesty is present. So get her invited
I remember some time ago reading that in order to fly the Lion Rampant permission is required from the Lord Lyon.

Those of us born in Scotland and are Rangers fans should be reclaiming the flag of our Nation and in doing so let the SNP flag thieves know that our identity as Scottish is as relevant as anything they might claim.
We have stood back for too long and allowed these fascists to claim ownership of our Nationality.
I'd be proud to identify as a Scots Unionist which ,by the way ,is exactly what we were not that long ago before the SNP/Tartan Army stole our identity.
We are the pride of Scotland and the quintessential British club. Scotland is British. As is everyone in it. Both can be true. We can reclaim the Saltire - and we can start be removing any SNPIRA voters from Ibrox.

Love the lion rampant and I would love us to reclaim it
Remember Scotland v England in 1972 the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards were on the field playing Amazing Grace and the Rangers end were singing Derrys Walls with a sea of Lion Rampants. It was quite a sight from the Kings Park end,

Last edited:
Used to see Her Majesty regularly in the Rangers end.

The then-Princess Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh at Ibrox in July 1947 (Credit: Twitter @andythephotodr)
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...ltic-injury-blow-carl-starfelt-miss-euro-tie/
That wasn't the only occasion that Ibrox welcomed royalty.

The Duke of Edinburgh greets Rangers chairman John F. Wilson after arriving at Ibrox by HELICOPTER in the 1950s (Credit: Twitter @andythephotodr)
The Duke of Edinburgh greets Rangers chairman John F. Wilson after arriving at Ibrox by HELICOPTER in the 1950s (Credit: Twitter @AndythephotoDr)
In fact, eight years later in 1955, Prince Philip landed a HELICTOPER on the Ibrox turf to kick-start a brief visit to the city.

Upon arrival, he was greeted by the then Rangers chairman John F. Wilson and other dignitaries.

Far too many people now associate the Lion Rampant with the Tartan Army, tacky tourist trash, Rod Stewart, tartan bunnets and See-You-Jimmy wigs. Shameful the way this great flag has been devalued and vulgarised.

This is my country, my flag and also my union .

No one will ever take away my right to fly them both.

I was brought up to appreciate and tolerate the opinion and beliefs of others. In so doing, I expect others to do the same but in this current climate there are many foes and charlatans, who do not appreciate tolerance and diversity and are determined to undermine my heritage.

To them I say, you are misguided, uneducated and wrong, as We are the People and together are strong.

Never ever let anyone undermine your beliefs, when they are based on division and hatred that is not a platform for harmony but a route to disaster.

My country, my flag, my union, my and my children's future depends on all of us holding these beliefs dear to our hearts and defending them resolutely.

This is not a fight, a battle, nor a war but a message of intent, do not push your nationalist republican agendas too far, as we will not surrender our values and beliefs readily.
I don't tolerate the beliefs of others because some believe its right to kill you.
index.jpg

Flying The Royal Flag

Considered the unofficial national flag of Scotland, The Lion Rampant historically and legally belongs to a king or queen of Scotland. According to an Act of Parliament passed in 1672, it is an offence to fly this flag, unless on a royal residence or with the permission of the monarch.
And the Lord Lyon, King of Arms will confirm this.

Flying The Royal Flag

I remember reading this before
But I doubt anyone will be challenged on it

I loved the flag day we had several years ago, when all the supporters clubs/groups marched around the track with their flags and banners at half time. It would be great to see it done every year.
That should be an annual parade for sure.

Wonderful pre-match or halftime show for everyone in attendance and great photos afterwards for the Club's social media platforms.

Such a simple yet effective idea and the club are oblivious to its potential which says a lot.

It has been applied against both Dundee United and Celtic in the past.

I remember reading an article in the Sunday Mail in the 80's about it, under the headline "The Celtic flag that's a reason for treason".
Keen to find out more mate

In my opinion we should be reclaiming our royal standard. Years gone by we used to see it quite a bit. I’d love an organised lion rampant & Union Jack day at Ibrox. There was a thread on the old board about this and I’m sure it was a very positive response.
I would be happy to get involved if pointed in the right direction of who to approach.
Absolutely! 100% Right behind this we are Scotlands Premier Club and British. The Saltire has been stolen by the Nats.

Back