Davies and Yilmaz - What do we reckon then ?

Spurs wanted Yilmaz?? If Spurs really wanted him they would of signed him, no chance Conte wanted him.

Barisic over him is a sacking offence? Maybe just maybe it’s the empty shirt in front of Borna that causes his issues.

Borna is playing well, yes he had a confidence issue last season but you are clearly quick to forget his MOTM performances Vs them away as well.

Borna is playing well but there was no need to play him yesterday.

If you’re not going to give your big summer signing a run-out that he sorely needs against bottom of the table dross at home, when are you ever going to play him?

Gio’s happy with the squad though.

The situation is a farce.

I don't know that it's worth putting too much value on that throwaway comment.

He's hardly going to come out and say publicly that his squad isn't good enough.

I think he's well and truly made his point about Ross Wilson's absolute failings as a DoF

Last edited:
For reasons best known to GvB, he isn't bothering to play the new players. Playing King and McCann ahead of Davies and Tillman is a "feck you" to Wilson.
I genuinely believe he's trying to get sacked.

I still have hope for Yilmaz, maybe because he hasn’t played

I have family in Turkey (all BJK fans) they were devastated to see him go, said he was brilliant. Only thing is, the Turkish League is terrible at the moment and I’m wondering if he just got the same hype Premier League fans would give any English youngster in their team.

Time will tell.

Davies was always a square peg for a round hole. All things considered, an utterly bizarre signing. We needed to try and replace Bassey with pace and power, instead we bought the English Hellander. An undoubted good player, that we absolutely didn’t need, particularly not at £4M.

Yilmaz not getting minutes is just bonkers. But then same can be said for Morelos.

Have you watched any games this season?? What have you seen from Yilmaz that you think would be a better option than barasics form this season??
I think the point is he has had plenty chances to be on the park as a sub and let’s see what he can offer, either that or we flog the back
4 until the end no matter how shaky or leaky it may be!

I don't know that it's worrying putting too much value on the throwaway comment.

He's hardly going to come out and say publicly that his squad isn't good enough.

I think he's well and truly made his point about Ross Wilson's absolute failings as a DoF

Ge wouldn't come out and say publicly that his squad isn't good enough?

He did it after the Ajax humiliation.

If he wansnt involved in the identification of the signings and doesn’t fancy them , maybe that’s why he isn’t starting them. But yesterday I couldnt get my head round why they didn’t get any game time in he 2nd half. Is it because he doesn’t like them or was it because he thought we might throw 2points away ? Either option is unacceptable for Rangers manager to take for me.

Borna's been alright TBF but he's still been part of a back four that lost eleven goals in three games.

If we had changed it up, I don't think it would've been harsh.
It's a bit of a concern Yilmaz can't get a game v dundee.

Could be a few things.

Could be a message to Wilson.

Attitude in training may be poor.

For Yilmaz, Barisic has been decent and arguably can’t be dropped.

I’m probably more concerned with the tragedy/comedy that is our right wing position.
Barisic is a smart operator, he’s a confidence player as well.
Give him motivation to put in a performance and you’ll see it from him.
If we hadn’t signed Yilmaz it’s quite possible Barisic would be having a terrible season, as it happens he’s doing really well.
Yilmaz’s time will come though, he’s a young dude that inevitably needs time to settle in a new country.
When Liverpool signed Andy Robertson he didn’t play for months then “BANG” he was a first team player.
I’m expecting a similar thing with Yilmaz, but give him time.
Davies was not fit, I don’t think anyone knows what’s going on there.

Asking an 18 year old - who wasn’t actually that good against Dundee United - to keep out Liverpool while we sit an experienced £4m centre back on the bench who knows that Liverpool squad inside out is just basic stupidity.

I’m edging closer every day to being open to the sort of doing that will see him sacked. You can argue that he might not have wanted those players or whatever, but they aren’t bad players and he’s got to be doing better with them. The problem is that even the ‘established’ players don’t look like they’re being coached.

Ge wouldn't come out and say publicly that his squad isn't good enough?

He did it after the Ajax humiliation.

For competing in the CL yes and we all know / knew that.

Getting there was the aim.

Managers soundbites are nothing more than that.

Their actions of who they pick tell are a far bigger tell of the situation.

He's clearly not happy with the singings as proven by starting McCann and King yesterday.

For competing in the CL yes and we all know / knew that.

Getting there was the aim.

Managers soundbites are nothing more than that.

Their actions of who they pick tell are a far bigger tell of the situation.

He's clearly not happy with the singings as proven by starting McCann and King yesterday.
I don’t accept him cunting the season to make a point, it’s very immature.

Imagine he was able to coach and improve the players, there’s a wild idea.

Davies I have no idea, all the rumours about personal life, injuries etc. If he's on the bench that means he can play, so for the money we spent he should be playing.

Yilmaz? Absolutely no offence to the boy but he looks about 7 stone soaking wet. He needs to bulk up for Scottish football.
Why does he need to bulk up. They have a few players with the same build who manage fine

While there are clearly serious issues with our recruitment, GVB needs to do a lot more to integrate these players into the team.

His last two team selections have been that of a manager who no longer feels he has the trust of his players. He has picked who is least likely to let him down regardless of tactics and formation.

If Ross Wilson is recruiting players without any input from the manager, it's a route to certain failure.

Surely to god that isn't what is happening?

If Ross Wilson is recruiting players without any input from the manager, it's a route to certain failure.

Surely to god that isn't what is happening?
Ross Wilson and the recruitment team select the players and the manager will always give the final say on who he wants that's generally how it works.

If something else is going on behind the scenes then that's a massive concern.

Barisic is a smart operator, he’s a confidence player as well.
Give him motivation to put in a performance and you’ll see it from him.
If we hadn’t signed Yilmaz it’s quite possible Barisic would be having a terrible season, as it happens he’s doing really well.
Yilmaz’s time will come though, he’s a young dude that inevitably needs time to settle in a new country.
When Liverpool signed Andy Robertson he didn’t play for months then “BANG” he was a first team player.
I’m expecting a similar thing with Yilmaz, but give him time.
Davies was not fit, I don’t think anyone knows what’s going on there.
There will come a point this season where Yilmaz, Davies, Morelos, Sakala etc are required to start due to injuries and they won’t be match fit due to Gios negligence when it comes to squad management.

Seen the same last season when Roofe had to come in for Morelos and he was off the pace. There was so many opportunities he could have came on to give Morelos a rest but Gio refused to use him. Sakala similar.

Why does he need to bulk up. They have a few players with the same build who manage fine

We play in a massively physical league, right now as it stands, if he plays any manager in this country is going to target that area with high balls and physical challenges to see if he's up for it.

I don’t accept him cunting the season to make a point, it’s very immature.

Imagine he was able to coach and improve the players, there’s a wild idea.

Imagine the youth players we've got are better / more coachable than the ones Wimson is bringing in and continually failing with?

What's his alternative? Play the shite ones, lose and make his point that way?

Wilson is the issue. No new manager is coaching this level of squad to be significantly better.

Imagine the youth players we've got are better / more coachable than the ones Wimson is bringing in and continually failing with?

What's his alternative? Play the shite ones, lose and make his point that way?

Wilson is the issue. No new manager is coaching this level of squad to be significantly better.
You trying to tell me no manager could have us playing more attacking football to dispose of the shite in this league? Seriously?

Our squad of players are miles ahead of every team in the league except for Celtic.

Ross Wilson and the recruitment team select the players and the manager will always give the final say on who he wants that's generally how it works.

If something else is going on behind the scenes then that's a massive concern.
If the manager at least had some say, then it's his responsibility to improve the team by utilising these new players.

There's been some suggestions here that it's a case of GVB not fancying new players that have been recruited for him.

If the manager at least had some say, then it's his responsibility to improve the team by utilising these new players.

There's been some suggestions here that it's a case of GVB not fancying new players that have been recruited for him.
I'm 100% convinced GVB would have had the final say when a short list is drawn up for targets.

If the manager is given any player without his say and he doesn't fancy them then you have to question what is going on behind the scenes.

Borna is playing well but there was no need to play him yesterday.

If you’re not going to give your big summer signing a run-out that he sorely needs against bottom of the table dross at home, when are you ever going to play him?
Imagine if Barisic was dropped yesterday and Yilmaz gave the ball away to make it 2-2? He would never have been forgiven here.

Not defending Wilson or Gio on it, but they were both in a complete lose lose situation at left back. Sign a hot promising player to replace Bassey and then Borna becomes our best player this season and keeps him out and it’s a huge waste of money. We DONT sign anyone, Bornas confidence goes and they absolutely slaughtered for not bringing someone in (“or £25m for Bassey and we sign a bloody free transfer”).

I don’t understand what is wrong with Davies. He’s a great player. Matondo looks to be a shocking signing however we can’t criticise for Yilmaz.

Morelos, Davies and Yilmaz all needing minutes and not one of them got on the park.

Completely bizarre from Gio. Is he expecting to chuck Davies and Morelos in at Anfield not even half fit then drop them again when we get beat?

Or with Sands out is he going King, Goldson and Lundstram at the back?

Completely baffling.
That’s what‘s getting me about him. Leaving the shitshows on the field aside for a minute. The management of the squad is diabolical in this respect. Time and time again we see opportunities not taken to give out some badly needed game time - even when the player who could be replaced has ran his race - like Colak yesterday.

We have seen it all in terms of the incompetence of squad management. However nothing beats last season and coming home from a tough away European tie (largely playing the same side in a league match 3 days later) and then making not one single substitution in that league match, despite players on the field clearly exhausted. That day we went from incompetence into idiocy in that respect.

Imagine if Barisic was dropped yesterday and Yilmaz gave the ball away to make it 2-2? He would never have been forgiven here.

Not defending Wilson or Gio on it, but they were both in a complete lose lose situation at left back. Sign a hot promising player to replace Bassey and then Borna becomes our best player this season and keeps him out and it’s a huge waste of money. We DONT sign anyone, Bornas confidence goes and they absolutely slaughtered for not bringing someone in (“or £25m for Bassey and we sign a bloody free transfer”).

I don’t understand what is wrong with Davies. He’s a great player. Matondo looks to be a shocking signing however we can’t criticise for Yilmaz.

I don’t disagree but there will come a point where Yilmaz has to play. Unless we think BB is going to sustain form and fitness for the entire season. Odds are very much against that.

That he didn’t get game time at home against the worst team in the league is pretty damning imo. It’s straightforward squad management surely?

I’m not sure how good an idea spending a large portion of our budget on a player who’s wife is battling cancer. Even if he does get physically fit, where will his head be?

Can it not just be as simple as one’s been injured/had personal things going on and the other is a young lad in a foreign country for the first time who needs time to adapt, and we don’t need to rush in given our current starting left back is about the only player in the team in decent form ?

I thought they might get minutes today too, but it could just be as simple as Gio thought King deserved the minutes and Davies wasn’t ready to start what had turned into a must win game, and he might have thought Borna deserved to keep his place given his current form. I don’t think either would be scandalous conclusions to reach.

There’s a lot wrong with us at the minute and a lot evidently wrong with our summer recruitment, but don’t think we need a steward’s inquiry every game either of Davies and Yilmaz don’t play, when there’s obvious reasons why neither were involved yesterday.

You trying to tell me no manager could have us playing more attacking football to dispose of the shite in this league? Seriously?

Our squad of players are miles ahead of every team in the league except for Celtic.

Almost as exactly like the table shows...

Spurs wanted Yilmaz?? If Spurs really wanted him they would of signed him, no chance Conte wanted him.

Barisic over him is a sacking offence? Maybe just maybe it’s the empty shirt in front of Borna that causes his issues.

Borna is playing well, yes he had a confidence issue last season but you are clearly quick to forget his MOTM performances Vs them away as well.
As always the source originates in Turkey so real ‘pinch of salt’ stuff. Seems they may have been interested, and Eintracht Frankfurt definitely came very close to signing him but it was dependant on Kostic going to Juventus and the Italians, at that stage, were stalling. Spurs went for Perisic in the end.

We've lost so many goals recently but have near 10 million pound worth of defender who can't get a sniff it's utterly bizarre

Yilmaz looks like a wee boy and will get absolutely tortured in our league. On the first couple of viewings it doesn’t even seem like he has any stand-out attributes to make up for it either. I can see his stay being short, pardon the pun.

Davies has long term personal issues that probably aren’t going to go away quickly, which won’t just affect him physically, so also looks like a poor use of funds.

Ibrox / Auchenhowie must the the most unwelcoming place in the world considering the amount of time any new players “need time to settle in”
We're the only club where apparently you need immersion therapy over a 6 month period to "settle in".

Even poor wee Matondo, from Wales, needs a big adjustment period.

All totally normal.

Yilmaz looks like a wee boy and will get absolutely tortured in our league. On the first couple of viewings it doesn’t even seem like he has any stand-out attributes to make up for it either. I can see his stay being short, pardon the pun.

Davies has long term personal issues that probably aren’t going to go away quickly, which won’t just affect him physically, so also looks like a poor use of funds.

Yilmaz is taller than Celtics fullbacks. The obsession with his appearance, height or looks is getting weird on here!!

If it is the case that Gio is being stubborn and sending a message to Wilson, then it’s grounds for him to go IMO. The club always comes first, before any stubbornness or pride. If it’s just a simply a case of Davies is getting back up to speed and Yilmaz is still settling in and learning how we play then I wish he would just fkin tell us that. It’s like a big layer of secrecy which only causes toxicity.

Agreed. The team should not be formulated to provide a GIRFUY. I doubt it is, but then could believe it too. That’s symptomatic of how we are just now, and how on edge we are as a support.

If it is the case that Gio is being stubborn and sending a message to Wilson, then it’s grounds for him to go IMO. The club always comes first, before any stubbornness or pride. If it’s just a simply a case of Davies is getting back up to speed and Yilmaz is still settling in and learning how we play then I wish he would just fkin tell us that. It’s like a big layer of secrecy which only causes toxicity.
Grounds for both I would say or the next manager had same problem

Yilmaz will come good. IMO.
As an example. And totally different players, look at the length of time it took Bassey to properly break through!!!

Back