Davies and Yilmaz - What do we reckon then ?

Yilmaz will be away in January.
We were playing today against the worst team in the league and he's still not willing to play him.

Davies is still shaking off an injury. Gio has said as much. Twice. I thought it would have been obvious.

Yilmaz is a young lad trying to settle in a new culture both professionally and personally. Borna is also doing ok. Not fantastic but ok.
Do you really believe this though? Baring in mind he's actually lied about Tav and an injury in the last 2 weeks.

Borna's been alright TBF but he's still been part of a back four that lost eleven goals in three games.

If we had changed it up, I don't think it would've been harsh.
He’s been getting a bit of a free ride defensively because some of his offensive game has come back. He’s pulled in too far today marking a player he shouldn’t have been marking and the second Abada goal in the Celtic game was all his (again). As I posted at the time, Abada must love to see his name in the starting line-up when we play them. He’s regressed but he’s got plenty of company.

Can file under Zukowski, Amad, Ramsay and Sands. Our Jan business reflects our summer business - a hodgepodge of nothingness.

I’d suggest it’s VERY obvious they weren’t Gio’s choices and he’s making that known.

Gerrard did have too much sway in this regard but it seems the Board have swung far too far the other way.

The truth is there is no explanation.

It is what it is; we have spent close to £9M on 2 players that cannot get a look in.

Let's be honest it's just another chapter in what is becoming a total clown car of a season.

Could be a few things.

Could be a message to Wilson.

Attitude in training may be poor.

For Yilmaz, Barisic has been decent and arguably can’t be dropped.

I’m probably more concerned with the tragedy/comedy that is our right wing position.

Our mainstay left winger is fast becoming a comedy as much as it pains me to say it.

Something not right between the coaching staff and Wilson, Gio clearly not happy at not being backed the way he wanted in the summer or for the players he wanted.

Yilmaz may be taking time to settle in. Davies being on the bench for 3 games in a row and not getting minutes is bizarre. Looks at the minute like money down the drain and destined t be away in loan or a free transfer at this rate.

Both are different, Borna has played really well so it's difficult to drop him, Davies costing multiple millions and being behind a midfielder and an 18 year old youth player is criminal.

Davies is a very average centre half so I can understand why he isn’t playing.

Spurs and Frankfurt wanted Yilmaz and he has experience at a high level, clear qualities we lack such as decent pace and direct around the box.

Barisic over Yilmaz in the long term is a sacking offence, there’s no case you can make to justify that.
Barisic probs been our best player this season

I think the sad personal issues that have been alluded to previously may be why his heads not in the game.

Which I can understand but if he's on the bench he must be available. What would have happened, if a centre half got an injury or we went down to 10 men early and he had to play 70 or 80 minutes. His head would have had to be ready.

Just adds to the confusion for the fans.. nobody seems to know what direction the club are going in. Alot of questions need answered.

Looks like Gio did not want either of them!!!
Borna is playing too well to be dropped.
But Davies is behind an 18-year-old and a midfielder.
Think there is something badly wrong!!

We'll be playing a back 5 at Anfield, an out-and-out back 5 too, no Lundstram playing as a CB.

Tavernier - King - Goldson - Davies - Barisic

Reality King better than Davies likewise Borna better than Yilmaz 9mill lost let’s move on
Re Davies & King how do you know? Young King has deserved his chance but the bottom line is, when we let Balogun go, it was assumed King would replace him as one of the 4 centre half options, yet the manager picked a midfielder ahead of him? If we’ve just paid £3-4million for a player who’s not as good as a young, newly promoted youth player that’s behind a midfielder for a centre half berth then we truly are in a mess!

Re Davies & King how do you know? Young King has deserved his chance but the bottom line is, when we let Balogun go, it was assumed King would replace him as one of the 4 centre half options, yet the manager picked a midfielder ahead of him? If we’ve just paid £3-4million for a player who’s not as good as a young, newly promoted youth player that’s behind a midfielder for a centre half berth then we truly are in a mess!

Concur Dave

I think with Yilmaz,Gio has had a look and doesn’t fancy him- probably because he’s too small.

Davies (and Souttar) situation is fucked up.
We let Balogun and Katic both go knowing full well that the two new signings were not going to be fit to play at least the first few months of the season. Why not keep one of them- say Katic until January at least and then sell him then. Mental.

If it is the case that Gio is being stubborn and sending a message to Wilson, then it’s grounds for him to go IMO. The club always comes first, before any stubbornness or pride. If it’s just a simply a case of Davies is getting back up to speed and Yilmaz is still settling in and learning how we play then I wish he would just fkin tell us that. It’s like a big layer of secrecy which only causes toxicity.

Yilmaz may be taking time to settle in. Davies being on the bench for 3 games in a row and not getting minutes is bizarre. Looks at the minute like money down the drain and destined t be away in loan or a free transfer at this rate.
Settling in to life on the bench?

The whole club is a f.u.cking shambles and we have 2 men playing games while we get hosed in the CL and struggle domestically

Thought Yilmaz and morelos would have got atleast 20 minutes today

Could be a few things.

Could be a message to Wilson.

Attitude in training may be poor.

For Yilmaz, Barisic has been decent and arguably can’t be dropped.

I’m probably more concerned with the tragedy/comedy that is our right wing position.
Decent shouldn’t be the level that keeps you the jersey.

He has been one of our better performers recently, I agree, but our 3rd highest transfer spend ever (I think) should be on the park in times like these!

Yilmaz simply has an in form Barisic in front of him, so not much he can do. Davies I am not sure about, but seems like it could be one of Wilson’s vanity projects that never pay off.

If Gio is that fussed about the messages he’s sending to the board

Can he not play Scott Wright rather than the supposedly pretty talented LB we have signed, and use Wright as a player not being played to show what he thinks

Because it’s hard to take him that serious when he so often thinks Wright is going to solve issues

Why the f*ck people are even having to look at Wright as often as they are man, f*ck me

I don’t think Yilmaz gets played because Gio has limited tactics

How the f*ck is someone with his history in football and the managers he worked under so heavily dependant on - aye just bang a cross in the box

Last edited:
Decent shouldn’t be the level that keeps you the jersey.

He has been one of our better performers recently, I agree, but our 3rd highest transfer spend ever (I think) should be on the park in times like these!
Flo, Kent, Ball, Kanchelskis, Arteta all cost more off the top of my head but I take your point.

I don’t necessarily disagree that he should be playing either, just offering a possible reason why he isn’t.

I’d say Gio is working his ticket now. He is clearly making a statement that it was not his decision to buy those players and that he wasn’t backed in the transfer market. Let’s be honest the board have obviously made promises to him in order to get him to commit.

I’m not saying he is a good manager, but I think he is taking a clear stance here.

For what it’s worth / take it with pinch of salt but Yilmaz struggling to settle, not showing up well in training. Combined with Borna’s slight uptick in form. Don’t see him being her long term.

Matondo not even being in the matchday squad ahead of Sakala (who has been bombed out) is even more concerning

Gio isn't making any statements to the board imo, he's just not a good manager.

He's throwing mud at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Can file under Zukowski, Amad, Ramsay and Sands. Our Jan business reflects our summer business - a hodgepodge of nothingness.

I’d suggest it’s VERY obvious they weren’t Gio’s choices and he’s making that known.

Gerrard did have too much sway in this regard but it seems the Board have swung far too far the other way.
Sands was clearly a Gio signing and has played the majority of games this season. Yilmaz I agree with the rest on here that Gio can’t be blamed because Borna is currently our best player.

Davies and Matondo are the two I struggle with. The former is a cracking player who came from Liverpool and the latter plays in a position we are hugely short of. Not sure if it’s a message or attitude but it’s worrying.

Davies is a very average centre half so I can understand why he isn’t playing.

Spurs and Frankfurt wanted Yilmaz and he has experience at a high level, clear qualities we lack such as decent pace and direct around the box.

Barisic over Yilmaz in the long term is a sacking offence, there’s no case you can make to justify that.

There is if you've seen them in a Rangers jersey.

The Spurs/Frankfurt stuff is fantasy if they wanted him he would be there.....

I get it the argument that Borna doesn’t deserve to be dropped as he is one of the few players showing the tiniest bit of good form but he doesn’t need to play every minute of every game either. Giving Yilmaz absolutely no minutes at all after all the money we spent on him is absolutely bonkers
I agree with this, Borna deserves the starting jersey but we also know he needs his minutes managed carefully as he can be quite injury prone. Fair enough today as it was 2-1

The guys on the Heart & Hand extra show were adamant that Ross Wilson does not buy players for the Manager to coach and it's a myth that this is the case.
All I can say is something is not right at the moment and we seem disjointed from top to bottom.

There is if you've seen them in a Rangers jersey.

The Spurs/Frankfurt stuff is fantasy if they wanted him he would be there.....
It’s common knowledge we wanted Veerman, Skov Olsen, Fulgini and any other number of players who we couldn’t get in the end.

Frankfurt wanted him to replace Kostic who is a excellent full back, it’s a fair point to raise.

Borna has responded to the challenge - and it’s arguable he deserves to keep his place.

No idea about Davies.

With such a limited budget, it’s frightening the money we’ve committed in fees and contracts.

We’ll likely end up flogging Ridvan back to Turkey in a discount deal while Davies bleeds is dry for 3 years…

Thats genuinely my concern. Can’t see any reason why he didn’t get any minutes at all today. Same with Davies. Why the hell are we not using all our subs? Why wouldn’t we put legs into defenders when we’re short?

It doesn’t make any sense.

Back