Davies and Yilmaz - What do we reckon then ?

Don't think Yilmaz was that great in the cup game despite being against lower league opposition. One bit of skill aside I thought he looked very ordinary

If it's true Matondo has disciplinary issues then that's on the scouting team and Wilson for not doing the due diligence since it's reported that hes had these issues before.

As for signing Davies and Souttar... We all knew the injury record and when you add them to Helanders record it makes the decision to release Balogun even more mind blowing. He wasn't the best but he gave 100% every week. Considering we extended Arfield, David and McGregor it would've made sense to keep Balogun too. Unless his demands were too high.

I've been on the fence with Gio since his terrible start but our European form last season now looks like it was more down to the players and not Gio. The cautious, stand off style we are playing will not win us anything. We've lost 3 genuinely talented players in Aribo, Bassey and Patterson and haven't replaced them with anyone close to them. Especially Aribo and Basseys physicality.

Havent you heard about the "Ajax Model"? You sell your best players and use the money to "strengthen" your team. I think someone at Ibrox thought it meant you could play more than 11 at a time.

Davies has been training for at least a fortnight how he can't get game time is absolutely bizarre our defence is pish this season.

Yilmaz I can understand because Barisic has done ok of late but to sign a player for that kind of money and point blank refuse to integrate him into the team even cameo roles is absolutely bizarre.

Again you don't get the full truth out of GVB he is reluctant at present to use them.

Don't know how I feel about Barisic. It's a cliche that competition for places drives standards but it's true. On the other hand, he was absolutely shite for the best part of 18 months and it's pathetic that it's taken a £3m signing in his position to force him to start playing properly again.

I think it’s all down to the fact gio didn’t buy them and the decision was clearly taken by others so he’s making a stance by not playing them. That’s a brave move to make but when results are not going the way they should it just piles the pressure on. I just wish our board and manager were more open with what the problem is and stop leaving us all in the dark

For me there's a reason Yilmaz isn't getting game time and it's not down to Barisic being one of our better players this season. We don't even seem to be making an attempt to try and integrate him.

Davies as well. Given that we paid £4m for the guy, the fact he can't get gametime despite being fit enough to make the bench for a couple of weeks is a massive concern. I almost laugh when he him going through the motions and warming up during the game.

The Davies signing is bizarre. Why were we willing to pay £3.5m for him this summer, but weren't interested when his contract was expiring a year ago? Especially when it looked like he was going to Celtic before Liverpool stepped in? It just screams that the scouting department don't have a clue, it looks like we weren't aware of him until then.

Yilmaz not playing I can understand as Borna has had a good start to the season. Like others have said, I don’t understand why Davies hasn’t been playing. If he’s fit enough for the bench, he’s fit enough to play. Somethings not going well at Ibrox.

I thought van Bronckhorst was a great appointment at first but completely changed my mind and I think he is clueless as regards to tactic,signings and team selection.
His days are numbered..

The problem is Barasic is scared to run with the ball. But when he overlaps Kent and puts a cross in he is great. Just lacks a little confidence. Goldson just isn’t interested anymore. He seems to think he is better than everyone else. I’d rather see a back four of Tav, King, Davies and Barasic from now on

As ludicrous a waste of money you'll ever see.

In our position to spent over £10million on players who can't get near the first team is as clear an indication as dysfunction as you can get.
The whole club seems dysfunctional at the moment, fro top to bottom, the performance today was indicative of our entire setup.

The problem is Barasic is scared to run with the ball. But when he overlaps Kent and puts a cross in he is great. Just lacks a little confidence. Goldson just isn’t interested anymore. He seems to think he is better than everyone else. I’d rather see a back four of Tav, King, Davies and Barasic from now on
How can you rate Davies without having seen him in a Rangers shirt?

Cause you can see by Goldsons body language he doesn’t want to be here. He thought he was going to get his big move down south but no one wanted him. We have spent money on Davies it’s now time to give him game time

I thought we might see Ridvan Yilmaz come on as a sub today around the hour mark. Maybe United goal put paid to that. Barisic does not deserve to be dropped though.

However, with Anfield looming I thought Davies would start today and at Tynecastle. Difficult one though, with King deserving of his chance as well. I don’t see King starting at Anfield, so Tynecastle selection will be interesting.
he's not very good and today must have passed the ball back more than forward.

For neither to not get any minutes in the last three games is something I'll never understand

Can anyone see Gio chucking Davies in at Tynecastle ahead of the Anfield trip ? Surely he has to.

Are we really going to ask an 18 year old to deal with Salah, Nunez and Diaz ?

I genuinely cannot wrap my head around spending the guts of £9m on them and the manager is point blank refusing to give them even a sniff.
They aren’t good enough or even suit the system. Davies is similar to Simpson in play, both good on the ball but very weak and passive.

Yilmaz is the size of Tom Thumb at 5’7 and very slight, he’s also not a crosser. He won’t play much. Barisic is miles ahead of him.

Complete waste of money. A fucking Ross Wilson and gio special those 2.

Do you really believe GvB has no input into player recruitment?
Nowhere near as much as any other Rangers manager.

Normally a manager would bend over backwards to bed his signings in. GVB treats some that were signed this summer like they’re carrying the plague.

Its a small sample size, for sure, but a total of 3 appearances and 112 minutes in a Rangers shirt.

We should have seen him start today because I don’t think for a minute King will start at Anfield.

Last edited:
Davies no idea, certainly a strange one.

Yilmaz I feel will come good. Too much noise around him for there not to be something decent about him. Time will tell I suppose.

Gio clearly not happy with the signings.

I've no idea why we spent that sort of dough on a second choice LB when we desperately need a GK, CM & RW.

Davies is a weird one.. he must be an improvement on Sands & King. Get him in the team to see what he's all about.

I'm actually beginning to think Gio's angling for a pay off.. from the outside it looks like he's purposely trying to piss Wilson and board off.

Don't know how I feel about Barisic. It's a cliche that competition for places drives standards but it's true. On the other hand, he was absolutely shite for the best part of 18 months and it's pathetic that it's taken a £3m signing in his position to force him to start playing properly again.
His overall play has been good but he still can’t defend the back post to save himself. Not sure Yilmaz helps there either right enough.

Ludacrious situation.

How can we possibly spend £10 million on a fourth choice centre back (maybe fifth behind Souttar?) and second choice left back?

There seems a real disconnect between the new signings and Gio. And it can’t continue.

All just a bit weird. Davies should be playing right now, we spent £4 million on him, get him in the team. Sooner Gio is gone the better because his ability to manage a squad of players seems pitiful.

Yilmaz is behind an already established player in Barisic who's currently in the best form he's been in since early 2021. Patterson had similar difficulty getting games ahead of Tav but i don't think Barisic will be as big a road block for game time as Tav was.

Davies gives me the fear. The exact type of defender that struggles in Scotland. Being great on the ball for a defender is a nice bonus but if you lack the athletic ability to deal with attackers it means little. The one match he started for us against St Johnstone there was a cross that he dealt with horribly, leaning back and allowed the St Johnstone player to get in front of him. The run was about as close as you can get from the difference of a free header from 10 yards straight in the middle of the box and a great chance to score and just missing it and it going beyond both players.

Yilmaz will be away in January.
We were playing today against the worst team in the league and he's still not willing to play him.
If Gio is still here in January I really hope Yilmaz does go. He's getting wasted imho and I'm sure he feels the frustration too. The chances of him going to another club and getting game time, playing well is likely which will just serve as another failure from Gio and the board that they got it all wrong.

I said in another thread would it have done any harm to put Yilmaz on for Kent today?

Yes he's a full back by trade but one who's currently better at attacking than defending so what's the harm in sticking him out there to provide a bit of cover for Borna while still offering a threat going forward.

Gio seems to have some strong opinions about too many players in this squad as some are getting more minutes than they deserve while others can't get a look at all
I've thought that too for a while now. Walter was the master at it and we quite often had 2 left backs one in front of the other. Difference in this scenario being that Yilmaz, as he showed against QOtS, actually offers a genuine threat in offensive areas. I think Kent has been carrying numerous niggles for quite a while now, is very low on confidence and just doesn't seem right. He would benefit mentally, motivationally and physically with a spell out the team imo. He was at fault for their goal today. Was with the scorer just inside their half, failed to track his man and ended up 20 yards behind him, walking, when they scored. Unacceptable. It would also allow Yilmaz to bed into the team, get used to team mates and gain some confidence without the added pressure defensively. Certainly couldn't be any worse.

Someone on H&H said Gio does have an input on signings so I’m not sure you can spin it as Gio vs. Wilson. It doesn’t help that the manager is so secretive about the condition of players.

Davies was always a mystery signing for the money involved tbh. He is one of those players where you look at his highlight reels and think - is that it?

I can only guess that GVB has new signings that he didn't really want in the first place - either that or he is out to make a point (one that will likely see him sacked).

Yimaz was a strange one. Does not look like a full back, built like a number 10, in the game he was on was outpaced by opposition player easily which is a worry. If we were selling Borna then fair enough spend decent money but to keep him and spend that kind of money on a back up is crazy. Was the plan to have him playing and Borna sitting in the dug out running down his contract.? add to that the fact he can’t be utilised in another position it’s a total waste of money.

As ludicrous a waste of money you'll ever see.

In our position to spend over £10million on players who can't get near the first team is as clear an indication as dysfunction as you can get.
100pc. These are the things that will be highlighted in years to come.

Daniel Prodan levels of crazy.

Davies was always a mystery signing for the money involved tbh. He is one of those players where you look at his highlight reels and think - is that it?

I can only guess that GVB has new signings that he didn't really want in the first place - either that or he is out to make a point (one that will likely see him sacked).
Agree Davies signing from a league where every price is overinflated was crazy. Add to this that he apparently doesn’t like the physical side and heading the ball then what were we thinking.? Someone should be getting there jotters for our recent signings.

Could be a few things.

Could be a message to Wilson.

Attitude in training may be poor.
The club should come out and explain the situation and not let it fester like toothache.

There are so many issues right now it’s frightening.

We’ve reverted to the oldest player at the club in goals. A player we know put us under pressure by not coming for crosses. Not great when we’re already giving up goals like confetti From corners.

You mention the right wing but our left wing is as bad. We have a player bang out of form holding the jersey when a new signing favours that position but is only considered for a game on the opposite flank.

Our brightest young talent in ages, who got of to a flier, now has to be content with substitute appearances.

Two of our top players and most expensive assets appear to be being allowed to run down their contracts with zero information forthcoming from the club about contract negotiations

It’s very easy to blame where we are on the manager, but the truth is this is a collective funk up by all those in positions of power at Ibrox. The board, the DOF, the coach, and the players.

The manager clearly did not sign them, its not hard to work out.
For me, it is.
I cannot see a manager, a name like van Bronckhurst, jeopardise his career by handing over something as important as player recruitment over to somebody else.
You can attempt to lecture me as much as you want about how you think dof works but, until GvB himself uttered these words, or I read about the dof being sacked for a club’s lack of onfield success, I’ll continue to disbelieve.

Last edited:
I am glad he played King and i hope he stays in the team. I would play King and Davies together. Goldson and Tav are a shambles on that right side. Our defense is a shambles and it needs to change.

The idea Gio is "sending a message" to Ross Wilson is preposterous. He took the job knowing that hed be given players and have, at best, a 'here's my list of possibles' input to targets. Hes hardly going to not play someone just to stick two fingers at the DoF hes already agreed to defer to.

I think its just an example of a much wider selection problem with Gio. Players put played out of position, repeat failures picked regardless and other players left out never given a start to prove themselves.

Its poor management and all the hallmarks of someone competent lost.

For me, it is.
I cannot see a manager, a name like van Bronckhurs, jeopardise his career by handing over something as important as player recruitment over to somebody else.
You can attempt to lecture me as much as you want about how you think dof works but, until GvB himself uttered these words, or I read about the dof being sacked for a club’s lack of onfield success, I’ll continue to disbelieve.

Jeopardise what career? The guy was managing in China before taking our job ffs.

Davies is a very average centre half so I can understand why he isn’t playing.

Spurs and Frankfurt wanted Yilmaz and he has experience at a high level, clear qualities we lack such as decent pace and direct around the box.

Barisic over Yilmaz in the long term is a sacking offence, there’s no case you can make to justify that.
Spurs wanted Yilmaz?? If Spurs really wanted him they would of signed him, no chance Conte wanted him.

Barisic over him is a sacking offence? Maybe just maybe it’s the empty shirt in front of Borna that causes his issues.

Borna is playing well, yes he had a confidence issue last season but you are clearly quick to forget his MOTM performances Vs them away as well.

Yilmaz not getting a start yesterday is just beyond the pale and surely means there’s a problem. Whether it’s attitude, ability or GVB sending some sort of message, it just makes no sense that he didn’t play yesterday.

Back