Davies and Yilmaz - What do we reckon then ?

Considering the goals we've conceded last few games I find it absolutely baffling Yilmaz hasn't been used. Our big money signing. The centre back situation this season is surreal. I can't understand Gio's logic

Considering the goals we've conceded last few games I find it absolutely baffling Yilmaz hasn't been used. Our big money signing. The centre back situation this season is surreal. I can't understand Gio's logic
No one does. I recon he rolls a dice and the corresponding number is what sub(s) he uses

I have reached the stage that Gio is a nice guy and did well to get us to the CL but he has not learned about the Scottish game and his player selection is woeful.
Today we should have seen Tillman Davies Yilmaz and Matondo all starting. We were playing a crap team that scum beat 9 -0 and should have given us a chance to see all our new signings that are fit playing.
If we keep going with the same lot that lost in the CL we will also lose in the SPL.
Gio would be asked if the new guys were what he wanted and he must have said yes.
Wilson will get names from the scouts and these are put to the manager for his consideration.
If Gio is too weak to say he does not want a player signed then he is not what we need.
As I said Gio is a nice guy but he is no Walter Smith and we need somebody with vision. Tillman with Hagi and Lawrance when all are fit could give us some great football but I doubt we will ever see it. Matondo has pace and if he could just get games could do us nicely along with Morelos and Colak up front.
Gio will never play Colak and Morelos together which for me would get us the goals we need.

No one does. I recon he rolls a dice and the corresponding number is what sub(s) he uses
I think it's more stubbornness. Watching Sands and Goldson concede goal after goal and not change it was enough for me. Sands isn't a CB, you'd be as well playing Lundstram there at least he's got the height! I couldn't believe we went that same back 4 v Napoli and expected anything other than yet another doing.

It's criminal.

Just really struggling with the idea that starting Barisic over him is a sacking offence.
At the moment, breathing is a sacking offence.

Yilmaz is fast becoming a target, through no fault of his own.

Young guy, clearly talented, doesn't speak English, & brought in to challenge Borna.

Borna has turned up again, & so he is keeping him out.

Those now calling him a bad transfer are no.1 the ones who had written off Borna, no.2 the ones incapable of accepting it would likely take time for him to integrate, no.3 the ones calling out the board for paying a decent fee for him (which is what they are up in arms about generally with regards us spending money).

To name a few.

For neither to not get any minutes in the last three games is something I'll never understand

Can anyone see Gio chucking Davies in at Tynecastle ahead of the Anfield trip ? Surely he has to.

Are we really going to ask an 18 year old to deal with Salah, Nunez and Diaz ?

I genuinely cannot wrap my head around spending the guts of £9m on them and the manager is point blank refusing to give them even a sniff.
We haven’t seen enough to judge whether Davies or Yilmaz is wasted money
What I would say Davies was brought in to be the left footed partner for Goldson and not used
Gio obviously sees King as a better option just now certainly domestically
Tynecastle may tell us more coz if Davies doesn’t feature he won’t at Anfield
Yilmaz was brought in as a replacement for Bassey despite being a completely type of full back physically
Bassey displaced Borna last season but absolutely no chance of Yilmaz doing the same based on what we’ve seen so far but very early days to be judgmental
In summary King/Sands and Barisic seen as better options just now

I think it's more stubbornness. Watching Sands and Goldson concede goal after goal and not change it was enough for me. Sands isn't a CB, you'd be as well playing Lundstram there at least he's got the height! I couldn't believe we went that same back 4 v Napoli and expected anything other than yet another doing.

It's criminal.
Yeah did he not come out recently and say he wouldn’t change his philosophy?

Really poor.

I can imagine Yilmaz needing time to settle. He's young and I think I read somewhere that he doesn't speak English. It will be a challenge for him to settle to a new country and culture.

I'm not sure there is any reason why Davies isn't getting game time other than GvB doesn't rate him. Probably not defensive enough for him.

For neither to not get any minutes in the last three games is something I'll never understand

Can anyone see Gio chucking Davies in at Tynecastle ahead of the Anfield trip ? Surely he has to.

Are we really going to ask an 18 year old to deal with Salah, Nunez and Diaz ?

I genuinely cannot wrap my head around spending the guts of £9m on them and the manager is point blank refusing to give them even a sniff.

It's beyond bizarre. We spent most of our budget on 2 guys that can't get in a clearly struggling side.

Davies and Yilmaz are just the latest in a long line to be fair. It’s a common theme under Wilson.
Since summer 2020 we’ve brought in;
Roofe
Itten
McLaughlin
Hagi
Wright
Simpson
Ofoborh (exceptional circumstances with him obviously)
Sakala
Lundstram
Bacuna
Diallo
Ramsey
Matondo
Colak
Yilmaz
Davies
Souttar
Sands
Tillman

How much between fees and wages has been wasted for little to no return on the pitch?
You’re realistically looking at a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 success rate which for the limited funds we do spend, has to be better

Don't think Yilmaz was that great in the cup game despite being against lower league opposition. One bit of skill aside I thought he looked very ordinary

If it's true Matondo has disciplinary issues then that's on the scouting team and Wilson for not doing the due diligence since it's reported that hes had these issues before.

As for signing Davies and Souttar... We all knew the injury record and when you add them to Helanders record it makes the decision to release Balogun even more mind blowing. He wasn't the best but he gave 100% every week. Considering we extended Arfield, David and McGregor it would've made sense to keep Balogun too. Unless his demands were too high.

I've been on the fence with Gio since his terrible start but our European form last season now looks like it was more down to the players and not Gio. The cautious, stand off style we are playing will not win us anything. We've lost 3 genuinely talented players in Aribo, Bassey and Patterson and haven't replaced them with anyone close to them. Especially Aribo and Basseys physicality.

We haven’t seen enough to judge whether Davies or Yilmaz is wasted money
What I would say Davies was brought in to be the left footed partner for Goldson and not used
Gio obviously sees King as a better option just now certainly domestically
Tynecastle may tell us more coz if Davies doesn’t feature he won’t at Anfield
Yilmaz was brought in as a replacement for Bassey despite being a completely type of full back physically
Bassey displaced Borna last season but absolutely no chance of Yilmaz doing the same based on what we’ve seen so far but very early days to be judgmental
In summary King/Sands and Barisic seen as better options just now

It’s possible say they are a waste of money without it being any fault of the players

We get beat at Tynecastle, they’ve been a complete waste of money

Davies and Yilmaz are just the latest in a long line to be fair. It’s a common theme under Wilson.
Since summer 2020 we’ve brought in;
Roofe
Itten
McLaughlin
Hagi
Wright
Simpson
Ofoborh (exceptional circumstances with him obviously)
Sakala
Lundstram
Bacuna
Diallo
Ramsey
Matondo
Colak
Yilmaz
Davies
Souttar
Sands
Tillman

How much between fees and wages has been wasted for little to no return on the pitch?
You’re realistically looking at a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 success rate which for the limited funds we do spend, has to be better
Colak at least appears to be giving us a very good return so far domestically but doesn't offer much else if he doesn't score.

I’d say Gio is working his ticket now. He is clearly making a statement that it was not his decision to buy those players and that he wasn’t backed in the transfer market. Let’s be honest the board have obviously made promises to him in order to get him to commit.

I’m not saying he is a good manager, but I think he is taking a clear stance here.
He would have know the director of football set up before he took the job surely?

It's a very low bar.

If Borna was tearing it up weekly then I'd get it, but a few games where he's stuck in a couple of crosses whilst being poor defensively is as good as it's got.
Who’s been better this season in a poor team ???

I said in another thread would it have done any harm to put Yilmaz on for Kent today?

Yes he's a full back by trade but one who's currently better at attacking than defending so what's the harm in sticking him out there to provide a bit of cover for Borna while still offering a threat going forward.

Gio seems to have some strong opinions about too many players in this squad as some are getting more minutes than they deserve while others can't get a look at all
That is a great shout.
For what Kent was offering it would have not been any worse.
Unfortunately we seem to have a football philosophy at the moment ain't worth shit.

Dundee utdat home and holding on for the win is poor.

Colak at least appears to be giving us a very good return so far domestically but doesn't offer much else if he doesn't score.
Don’t dispute that in the slightest mate, and I’m not for a minute suggesting they are all bad signings. But for a club of our size we seem to go through some amount of bad signings for one good/really good one.

Seemingly they are working hard to ‘bulk’ Yilmaz up a bit. They are probably also using a medieval stretching torture rack - to get him stretched out to 5ft.

I thought we might see Ridvan Yilmaz come on as a sub today around the hour mark. Maybe United goal put paid to that. Barisic does not deserve to be dropped though.

However, with Anfield looming I thought Davies would start today and at Tynecastle. Difficult one though, with King deserving of his chance as well. I don’t see King starting at Anfield, so Tynecastle selection will be interesting.

Davies is a very average centre half so I can understand why he isn’t playing.

Spurs and Frankfurt wanted Yilmaz and he has experience at a high level, clear qualities we lack such as decent pace and direct around the box.

Barisic over Yilmaz in the long term is a sacking offence, there’s no case you can make to justify that.

Problem is Barisic has been one of our better performers of late,of the main starters he deserves to be dropped the least

Davies clearly wasn't Gio's signing. Totally bizarre that he's posted missing still.

Yilmaz was bought for the future. Hes built like the side of a fiver, he was never going to slide staright into the first XI. Plus, at the moment if we didn't have Borna's delivery where we getting a goal from?

Personally, I would put Yilmaz on the left wing. From all the YouTube videos I've watched he's very much an attack minded player with a bag of tricks. Play him up infront of Borna and get Kent central or on the right.

Morelos, Davies and Yilmaz all needing minutes and not one of them got on the park.

Completely bizarre from Gio. Is he expecting to chuck Davies and Morelos in at Anfield not even half fit then drop them again when we get beat?

Or with Sands out is he going King, Goldson and Lundstram at the back?

Completely baffling.

Spurs and Frankfurt wanted Yilmaz and he has experience at a high level, clear qualities we lack such as decent pace and direct around the box.

Barisic over Yilmaz in the long term is a sacking offence, there’s no case you can make to justify that.
Barasic has been our best player this season and merits his place unlike many others.

With Yilmaz, I can see the strategy of allowing him time to adapt. Borna has probably been our best player recently so we really don't need to rush him into the team.

Davies though, %^*& knows. Left Centre back is a disaster zone at the moment. Soutter and Helander are just never going to be fit, Sands, not his best position, King, not fair to throw him in the deep end like that, and Davies has disappeared off the face of the earth.

Signing Soutter and Davies and releasing Balogun pretty much sums up our transfer strategy, or lack thereof.

I get it the argument that Borna doesn’t deserve to be dropped as he is one of the few players showing the tiniest bit of good form but he doesn’t need to play every minute of every game either. Giving Yilmaz absolutely no minutes at all after all the money we spent on him is absolutely bonkers
Had it not been a tight game today who knows maybe he would have changed it around and given Barisic a rest, but it made sense not to change the back four, especially given Yilmaz's height and the set piece situation.

The thing I don't understand is Gio saying that they need to earn their place in the team - yet, he continues to play the same poor performers constantly.

Could be a few things.

Could be a message to Wilson.

Attitude in training may be poor.

For Yilmaz, Barisic has been decent and arguably can’t be dropped.

I’m probably more concerned with the tragedy/comedy that is our right wing position.
Do you really believe GvB has no input into player recruitment?

As ludicrous a waste of money you'll ever see.

In our position to spent over £10million on players who can't get near the first team is as clear an indication as dysfunction as you can get.
Davies has a domestic situation that takes priority and Barisic has been better than average this season.
Maybe the only one who has.
That might, or might not, be important.

The guys on the Heart & Hand extra show were adamant that Ross Wilson does not buy players for the Manager to coach and it's a myth that this is the case.
All I can say is something is not right at the moment and we seem disjointed from top to bottom.

Heart & Hand = club puppets

What type of injury? Maybe you can ask the question nobody will.
All I know is that the rumours about it being to do with his wife's health is not what is keeping him out. His wife's health has been documented on here but she is doing okay just now and it's not what has kept him out of the team, or so I am told.

To be fair mate, Barisic hasn’t done much wrong this season. Maybe try Yilmaz on left and Kent on right?! Who knows but Gio won’t change nothing.

The young LB could just be in the settling in stage and finding it tough to adjust.

I very much doubt the reason the big buck signings aren’t playing is down to Gio not fancying them.

He will 100% have had to signed the players off in some capacity.

Not ideal that they haven’t came straight into the team but it’s far too early to suggest they aren’t in the squad because they aren’t good enough.

Davies clearly wasn't Gio's signing. Totally bizarre that he's posted missing still.

Yilmaz was bought for the future. Hes built like the side of a fiver, he was never going to slide staright into the first XI. Plus, at the moment if we didn't have Borna's delivery where we getting a goal from?

Personally, I would put Yilmaz on the left wing. From all the YouTube videos I've watched he's very much an attack minded player with a bag of tricks. Play him up infront of Borna and get Kent central or on the right.
I get that Davies might not be Gio's signing but can't work out why he still wouldn't play him.

There's no way he's so shite that he's worse than a converted midfielder and a youngster.

Utterly mental situation.

The board are a f**king joke at the minute, communication is non existent, transfer strategy, a shambles, club media a joke , serious serious internal issues and as usual supporters treated like mushrooms.

Is Davies fully fit though?

Gio seemed to say the other night that he’s only just back from injury so perhaps he doesn’t feel he’s up to speed yet?

Yilmaz is having to bide his time because Borna is playing reasonably well.

At the same time, I do get the impression Gio isn’t wild about either, and then you have Matondo not even featuring in the squad.

If these players aren’t convincing the manager they’re good enough to start then big questions need to be asked of Wilson considering we spent about £10m+ on them.

Alternatively the players are good enough, but Gio just doesn’t know how to use them properly.

Or . . . there’s a breakdown between the manager and the DoF and the former is trying to send a message to the latter.

Either way the whole thing is a mess.

Not sure if I should ask but how did you come to this conclusion?
Well when we're told by the manager our captain has no injury issues one week, then goes off injured the following week then says said player has has an injury for the last couple of weeks, it then becomes natural to question other things he's said.

We're the only club I know of that keeps injuries more secure than Fort Knox. Any other club just tells you player x is out due to x injury.

Back