Firms fined for fixing prices fans pay for Rangers FC merchandise

Could anyone explain in simple terms what price fixing is please.

Are strips not the same price in all shops?
Two sports clothing shops down the road from eachother, are supposed to each choose their prices.

This leads to customers going to the cheapest shop.

Price fixing is where the two shops agree to sell stuff at the same high price. So that way they both get about half the customers and at a nice high price.

So they talked to eachother to "fix" the price, and the customers will never get the benefit of the shops reducing prices i.e. competing for their business.

Price fixing = agreeing a price with your competitor = illegal.

It’s got to the stage that the second you hear there’s a court case and/or lawyers involved in something related to ourselves you immediately know we’ll be on the receiving end of some enormous fine or compensation order.
Unless the other protagonist is as incompetent as the SPFL and Doncaster.

Two sports clothing shops down the road from eachother, are supposed to each choose their prices.

This leads to customers going to the cheapest shop.

Price fixing is where the two shops agree to sell stuff at the same high price. So that way they both get about half the customers and at a nice high price.

So they talked to eachother to "fix" the price, and the customers will never get the benefit of the shops reducing prices i.e. competing for their business.

Price fixing = agreeing a price with your competitor = illegal.
Excellent explanation, thanks

Erm, it did.
They started falling apart before we even clinched the title and it was fucking glorious but he seemed to think win one and we'd be lording it over them for some time.

Their total collapse didn't happen and they won the league back instantly as our manager fucked off and our team buckled in the league

I'm afraid he was wrong.

They started falling apart before we even clinched the title and it was fucking glorious but he seemed to think win one and we'd be lording it over them for some time.

Their total collapse didn't happen and they won the league back instantly as our manager fucked off and our team buckled in the league

I'm afraid he was wrong.
I thought he meant one league title for us would get us back on an even footing against them. Which I think it has. I didn't take it to mean we'd be "lording it" over them - although I wouldn't be surprised if he did say something to that effect as well, he does come out with the odd whopper.

I always took King as somebody who will always act in the best interests of the club but at the same time took a lot of what he said with a pinch of salt.

It’s nothing to do with Sports Direct and everything to do with ensuring fans never got kits cheaper from JD.

All the issues were arguably intertwined though. Im sure at the time, Dave King was quite open about the fact that we’d essentially need to negotiate our way around various clauses (at a cost) to get to where we needed the retail to be.

Fair enough if I’ve got it wrong, but I’m seeing this as a smaller part of the puzzle that freed us from SD. I’d be surprised if the club has done this out of pure badness and not had an ulterior motive at the time.

I think he meant one league title for us would get us back on an even footing against them. Which I think it has. I didn't take it to mean we'd be "lording it" over them - although I wouldn't be surprised if he did say something to that effect as well, he does come out with the odd whopper.

I always took King as somebody who will always act in the best interests of the club but at the same time took a lot of what he said with a pinch of salt.
I liked King but thought his house of cards was ill advised

It was like something Murray would have said

Won't be long until its "common knowledge" that we were fined £2M. I remember some predictions our fine would be £4M+..

"Elite Sports has been fined £459,000, JD Sports £1,485,000 and Rangers £225,000"

The ratio of fines suggests where the fault was.
We were still complicit, we agreed with 5he other two companies to rip off our support, heads should roll for this.

He was Vice Chairman.

I'm sure he was completely unaware of an illegal operation happening within the club.

I'd like to know more before I go completely off the deep end like some are doing.

Like with the Gilmour transfer and certain actions by King over the Micromega Holdings Ltd shares purchases, there are times when business is a murky affair and there's very much a "greater good" attitude to be taken.

From what I gather, Rangers didn't profit from this.

There are times, given with where we've been and what we've had to deal with, there are reasonable "excuses" for things which have had to be done.

It'd be interesting to know the reasons behind it all and, when you look at the fines, exactly what the background of that reasoning was.

It might not suit you to believe it but that is exactly what was discovered from the paper trail.
Would you like to show some evidence of this, the article shines no light on any of what you suggest. Anyone believing King and co knew nothing of this has their head buried in the sand.

We were still complicit, we agreed with 5he other two companies to rip off our support, heads should roll for this.

This is from the CMA in June 2022 the club have only got involved when they realised JD were selling for £5 less the rest though has been between JD/Elite who have kept the prices higher for everything else after that.

"If confirmed, the companies involved can expect to face fines.

The provisional findings are:

Elite Sports and JD Sports fixed the retail prices of a number of Rangers-branded replica kits and other clothing products from September 2018 until at least July 2019.Rangers FC also took part in the alleged collusion but only to the extent of fixing the retail price of adult home short-sleeved replica shirts from September 2018 to at least mid-November 2018. All 3 parties allegedly colluded to stop JD Sports undercutting the retail price of the shirt on Elite’s Gers Online store.

At the time, Elite was the manufacturer of Rangers-branded clothing and also sold Rangers-branded products directly through Gers Online Store and later in bricks-and-mortar shops in Glasgow and Belfast. The only UK-wide major retailer selling those products at the time was JD Sports.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) alleges that Rangers FC became concerned about the fact that, at the start of the 2018-19 football season, JD Sports was selling the Rangers replica top at a lower price than Elite, which was seen at the time as the club’s ‘retail partner’. This resulted in an understanding between the 3 parties that JD Sports would increase its retail price of the Rangers adult short-sleeved home replica shirt by nearly 10%, from £55 to £60, to bring it in line with the prices being charged by Elite on Gers Online.

The CMA is also concerned that Elite and JD Sports – without involvement from Rangers –colluded to fix the retail prices of Rangers-branded clothing, including training wear and replica kit, over a longer period. This included aligning the level and timing of discounts towards the end of the football season in 2019, to avoid competition between them and protect their profit margins at the expense of fans.

Elite and JD Sports applied for leniency during the CMA’s investigation and confessed to cartel activity. Provided they continue to cooperate with the investigation, each will receive a reduction on any financial penalties the CMA may decide to impose. Any business found to have infringed the prohibitions in the Competition Act 1998 can be fined up to 10% of its annual worldwide group turnover.

Michael Grenfell, Executive Director of Enforcement at the CMA, said:

We don’t hesitate to take action when we have concerns that companies may be working together to keep costs up.

Football fans are well-known for their loyalty towards their teams. We are concerned that, in this case, Elite, JD Sports and, to some extent, Rangers, may have colluded to keep prices high, so that the 2 retailers could pocket more money for themselves at the expense of fans.

These are the CMA’s provisional findings and the companies involved now have the chance to make representations to the CMA before it reaches a final decision.

More information can be found on the case page: Suspected anti-competitive behaviour in relation to the pricing of Rangers FC-branded replica football kit."

Would you like to show some evidence of this, the article shines no light on any of what you suggest. Anyone believing King and co knew nothing of this has their head buried in the sand.
When I get told things from very reliable sources that are not confidential, I tend to post them to inform the discussion on the message board.
If you choose not to believe it that is fine by me.

All the issues were arguably intertwined though. Im sure at the time, Dave King was quite open about the fact that we’d essentially need to negotiate our way around various clauses (at a cost) to get to where we needed the retail to be.

Fair enough if I’ve got it wrong, but I’m seeing this as a smaller part of the puzzle that freed us from SD. I’d be surprised if the club has done this out of pure badness and not had an ulterior motive at the time.

Wether that’s true or not the club don’t care what the fans pay as long as it brings in more money, that’s a fact. Just look at the champions league prices and compare to other British teams.

Then you have the issues with Castore. Nobody is telling me the club never knew that they were selling cheap Chinese school jumpers with a Castore badge for £50. I don’t believe these things were only first discovered by fans considering they were being sold from the actual club shop at the stadium.

That’s just a couple of things but they will happily rip the loyal fan base off for their own gain, that much is obvious.

When I get told things from very reliable sources that are not confidential, I tend to post them to inform the discussion on the message board.
If you choose not to believe it that is fine by me.
Tbf I tend not to believe anyone on here that claims to be itk mate. Your first post you said you came to your decision by how you interpreted the article and now its because someone gave you inside info.

After they asked us to boycott merchandising, this is how they repay us? and yet we still have some on here fighting to see who can stick their tongues furthest up this boards arse.
They should always be accountable, but we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
It's not that long ago we had The Easdales,Somers etc dancing to Ashley's tune.

Tbf I tend not to believe anyone on here that claims to be itk mate. Your first post you said you came to your decision by how you interpreted the article and now its because someone gave you inside info.
Fair enough, I generally prefer not to claim to be itk because too many on here do that.
I only replied re inside info in response to your post.

JD increasing price wouldn’t directly make us more, it makes JD more. Rangers took this action so we didn’t all go to JD instead of elite. Done to keep Elite making money, and what a terrible decision that turned out to be as they kept it and didn’t pay us!
I didn’t say the club made more. I said that the club forced the fans to pay more.

The whole issue wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the quagmire of our retail deal from then. If you remember, Elite was meant to be our way out of the Ashley/SD situation.

My personal feeling here is that the club committed a necessary evil. Circumstances dictated it, none moreso than the Ashley/SD legacy we'd believed we were free from.
Whilst I agree the situation they inherited was a shambles, they’ve created shambles after shambles themselves since then and the situation inherited doesn’t give carte Blanche to illegally gouge prices at cost to the fans.

After they asked us to boycott merchandising, this is how they repay us? and yet we still have some on here fighting to see who can stick their tongues furthest up this boards arse.
Some folks tongues are up Dave kings are tbf and he was the chairman of the club at the time of this, he’s 100% complicit in it.

The club didn't make any additional money from this.
I'm not clued up on all the legal stuff but why would the club not make money when shirt sales are being sold at a higher price? Surely the club would be getting a higher return for the % of sales?

Where does the money from the fines end up?

Will I be receiving a call from someone asking if I paid full price for x amount of Rangers tops and may be entitled to compensation?

Yet another example of a completely avoidable situation that's taken money out of the club but question the signing of players and the board talk about money not falling from the sky well it certainly does when they mess things up constantly.

Ridiculous how many millions have been taken out of the club through absolutely needless legal problems over the last 5-7 years.

Wether that’s true or not the club don’t care what the fans pay as long as it brings in more money, that’s a fact. Just look at the champions league prices and compare to other British teams.

Then you have the issues with Castore. Nobody is telling me the club never knew that they were selling cheap Chinese school jumpers with a Castore badge for £50. I don’t believe these things were only first discovered by fans considering they were being sold from the actual club shop at the stadium.

That’s just a couple of things but they will happily rip the loyal fan base off for their own gain, that much is obvious.

Don't disagree now mate. I do believe DK had our best interests at heart though, and he would have been more involved here.

Back