Firms fined for fixing prices fans pay for Rangers FC merchandise

There is one very, very simple question not being asked here: who at Rangers engaged in price fixing. If the courts were satisfied that Rangers weee guilty it can only be because there was proof. If there is proof, a Rangers employee’s signature is somewhere detailing what they wanted of JD. The individual who did this has to be named and unless working directly under orders from above, fired if still at the club.

Y

You don't like Dave King, do you
Honestly mate I don’t like or dislike him any more or less than any of the current board. I’m just saying he was the chairman when this happened so his cheerleaders literally can’t blame the current chairman for this and pretend it wasn't Dave King at the helm at the time, it’s delusion.

If we’re going at the club for this (which is fair) then he is also included as the chairman at the time, that’s all I’m saying.

There is one very, very simple question not being asked here: who at Rangers engaged in price fixing. If the courts were satisfied that Rangers weee guilty it can only be because there was proof. If there is proof, a Rangers employee’s signature is somewhere detailing what they wanted of JD. The individual who did this has to be named and unless working directly under orders from above, fired if still at the club.
I highly doubt the person who signed this off will still be employed by the club.

If they are, they need hunted. There must be a way of finding out who it was.

Yet another example of a completely avoidable situation that's taken money out of the club but question the signing of players and the board talk about money not falling from the sky well it certainly does when they mess things up constantly.

Ridiculous how many millions have been taken out of the club through absolutely needless legal problems over the last 5-7 years.

They didn't mess this up it was from Dave Kings time at the club he said earlier this year that he knew nothing about it. The stuff from CMA show that we asked JD to have the strip at £60 instead of £55 and that was it everything else was on Elite/JD.

Isn’t it about time we got someone in who actually understands the merchandising markets? With our international fan base and growing European presence, it’s a huge opportunity but we seem to run into problems all too often. Frankly, we seem to be regularly out-negotiated by the organisations we deal through, in fact it’s difficult to remember who they all are.

Is there anything you don’t defend? They have literally agreed a deal to stop fans getting kits cheaper. Fans that pump millions into the club.
Ups have no idea the context of our blame.
Neither do I.
I’m just pretty sure if we were as blatantly guilty as you seem to think we were, we’d have been fined a helluva lot more.
Maybe as much as JD.

Neither do I.
I’m just pretty sure if we were as blatantly guilty as you seem to think we were, we’d have been fined a helluva lot more.
Maybe as much as JD.
The club admitted it, read the statement. We were fined over £200,000 hardly a nominal fee.

Someone must know who signed this off.

Neither do I.
Maybe as much as JD.

This is from June this year club did ask JD to raise price of the home top to match the Elite pricing. The rest it's clear from that JD and Elite were responsible for the high pricing.

Uthere bullshit, the fine reflec
Won't be long until its "common knowledge" that we were fined £2M. I remember some predictions our fine would be £4M+..

"Elite Sports has been fined £459,000, JD Sports £1,485,000 and Rangers £225,000"

The ratio of fines suggests where the fault was.
Ts
Neither do I.
Maybe as much as JD.
Bullshit mate.
The fines reflect how much extra free money was made available to parties involved.
Rangers simply agreed to let the fans get charged more and this for me is very very sad

No it isn’t. We noticed JD were selling the top for a lower price than Elite and indicated we wanted them to increase what they were charging. Nothing at all to do with previous deals and to say it is is attempting to excuse an(other) attempt to squeeze fans for every penny.
Elite are Ashley’s mob it’s definitely linked

Looking forward to an interview and apology from Robertson and co.

Best in class…
Or they’ll roll out Bennett again so he can tell us how “rrrraaaannnnngggeeerrrssss” are the best in class and how “rrrraaaannnnggggeeeerrrrssss” are in such a great position because we’ve won one major domestic cup and one league in 11 years

Whilst I agree the situation they inherited was a shambles, they’ve created shambles after shambles themselves since then and the situation inherited doesn’t give carte Blanche to illegally gouge prices at cost to the fans.
I agree, but I think the anger is slightly misplaced because of the recent multiple %^*& ups and gouging of fans pockets. This was 4 years ago, that's what I'm meaning, and I'm looking at it from the perspective of the situation then.

Has it been confirmed how much the merchandise/strips were increased by?

*****Disregard - Just seen it was a fiver*****

The fines seem a bit much, especially for JD Sports, over charging an extra fiver for as strip. I know there's regulations etc. but that seems a tad OTT.

Silence from the club as usual. Spiv behaviour cannot be ignored!
Park and Robertson are preparaing a statement.

232.gif

Without knowing the specifics, Whyte, Green, the spivs, Ashley et al ran the Club as an asset stripping enterprise - and did it pretty effectively.

Getting out of contracts and deals arranged by them was never going to be straight forward.
Nothing to do with getting out of deals.

The specifics are that Rangers conspired with the rest of them to rip off fans and protect profit margins.

Neither do I.
Maybe as much as JD.
Time to wake up and smell the coffee pal.

You are ok with it so long as we are only a wee bit guilty?

Thats like trying to get off with cheating on your wife because you finished off on the birds tits and never gave the wee tart a cream pie

We should not be guilty of anything that involves fleecing the customers............. sorry fans, this cannot be dressed up to suit a pro board narritive fur fux sak

And Rangers were complicit in making sure we were charged top dollar.
The club rips the piss out of us financially at every available opportunity. Mygers, Champions league prices and this being examples. And they stand up for us precisely never. The Napoli away game being a case in point. Fed up with it.

"It is understood Rangers was disappointed to find itself subject to the CMA action, having appointed Elite as a partner in part because of its retail expertise.

The club has said it was not party to the discussions that took place between Elite and JD Sports but accepted the fine imposed by the CMA, given its role as the licensor of the intellectual property rights relating to its replica kit.

It noted that the CMA accepted that Rangers' role in the offending action was limited."

So are we really just guilty by the fact that we should always be in control/be aware of the sale price of our replica kit because we own the IP of it?

This is ridiculous and some haven’t grasped how awful this is and looks. They agreed to allow us to be ripped off the fans as usual. This board treat us with utter disdain and it wasn’t so long ago we all gave a £600 donation for a season ticket we didn’t use and help the club keep running they have really done their best to alienate the fans.

Yes some will say it was under King most of this board and MD where still here we deserve a statement detailing what and who done what!

I am very unhappy with the performances in the last month but less worried about something that happened in 2018.

I'm also interested to see just how much we were colluding with Elite given their actions with us and the unpaid money. Not entirely sure of the timelines on all that.

Did we ever get the £2.4m or so we were owed from them?

This is ridiculous and some haven’t grasped how awful this is and looks. They agreed to allow us to be ripped off the fans as usual. This board treat us with utter disdain and it wasn’t so long ago we all gave a £600 donation for a season ticket we didn’t use and help the club keep running they have really done their best to alienate the fans.

Yes some will say it was under King most of this board and MD where still here we deserve a statement detailing what and who done what!

Read the post above yours (#242) and calm down just a wee bit.

Your £600 "donation" helped us win the league that season. That was plenty reward for me and folk continuing to bring up an unprecedented situation like Covid to beat with board with is daft.

There's a good few things they're getting wrong. Doing what every other club did in that situation isn't one of them.

Last edited:
"It is understood Rangers was disappointed to find itself subject to the CMA action, having appointed Elite as a partner in part because of its retail expertise.

The club has said it was not party to the discussions that took place between Elite and JD Sports but accepted the fine imposed by the CMA, given its role as the licensor of the intellectual property rights relating to its replica kit.

It noted that the CMA accepted that Rangers' role in the offending action was limited."

So are we really just guilty by the fact that we should always be in control/be aware of the sale price of our replica kit because we own the IP of it?

Having read all of that and some other stuff on the thread, I'm prepared to accept that there's more than enough legacy issues from various contracts that put us in certain positions in having to deal with certain partners (as well as the likes of Steedman's failings) to see this as a very very small issue overall.

I'm far more concerned about a few things going on now than this sort of point which has now been put to bed.

There's a holier than thou attitude from a good few people on this thread with regards how certain things should operate.

Read the post above yours (#242) and calm down just a wee bit.

Your £600 "donation" helped us win the league that season. That was plenty reward for me and folk continuing to bring up an unprecedented situation like Covid to beat with board with is daft.

There's a good few things they're getting wrong. Doing what every other club did in that situation isn't one of them.
You believe them?B-DB-D

Next thing you’ll be telling me you have 3 million Ugandan dollars waiting for you they just need your bank details lol

Between the fucking shitshows we have to endure on-field and the never ending reminders that this board see us as nothing more than cash cows, I haven’t been this sickened with the Club in a long while.

All the issues were arguably intertwined though. Im sure at the time, Dave King was quite open about the fact that we’d essentially need to negotiate our way around various clauses (at a cost) to get to where we needed the retail to be.

Fair enough if I’ve got it wrong, but I’m seeing this as a smaller part of the puzzle that freed us from SD. I’d be surprised if the club has done this out of pure badness and not had an ulterior motive at the time.
Its got absolutely zero to do with getting rid of SD.

We seen others selling cheaper than our partner and asked them to up their price.

Our fine is so small because we only colluded on kit pricing.

Back