Improvements to Ibrox for next season?

Nacho Novo

Only four games left until the end of the season and its nearly that time again for work to continue behind the scenes as normal for staff inside Ibrox to get the place looking good as always for the coming season. On a positive note, what changes would you like to see carried out on the stadium during the summer months?

Personally for me, Rangers need to get rid of the old Toshiba 15" box style TV's that haven't worked since? And what year they were even installed? A real frustration for fans who cannot see the game properly sitting right up at the back of the Main Stand Rear, have a girder blocking their view of the game or cannot see the big screens at all to watch back replays. Money should be spent on buying new modern TV's because it really should be made a priority.

As also shown in the picture below, a lot of the lighting inside the stadium is that old dull orange style notibly on the roofs of the Main Stand, Sandy Jardine Stand and Copland Stand. LED's all round please like the Broomloan Stand roof, looked to have done that one and left the other three stands for some reason for quite a number of months now. A number of broken floodlights need to be fixed for the new season as well. Every light inside Ibrox in the present day should be LED.

Would like to see clear perspex being fitted and that old, out-dated yellow perspex on the three Broomloan, Copland and Sandy Jardine Stands (at corners of Argyle House Restaurant windows) taken out. Would be good to let some natural light into the stadium and also being able to see displays in the stands as well as the actual goals depending on where you sit if it was made clear!

Toilets need completely revamped, just so many things wrong with them and need to be brought into the present time. Not the 90's anymore.

Merchandise/Programme Kiosks in concourses should really have been implemented by now. Not every fan comes via the Subway on matchdays to head straight into the Megastore, some might not have time to purchase official club goods before the game due to time leaving work, but they could get it before the game in the concourse though where their seat is so fans can't miss out and the club makes more money this way.

Painting jobs to be carried on the two main gates, Saltire panels with the Rangers crests along the commentary deck, tunnel and dugout area.

Not having any access to WiFi is also a huge issue for fans who want to post photos of themselves being at Ibrox during the games on social media, not being able to send messages to people on your phone or not being able to check your bets and other important scores at half time and full time.

Ending this by saying its good to see the Safe Standing process coming along swiftly with surveys being conducted by Club 1872, might not be installed in the Copland Front next season but confident it will be done in time for 2019/2020.

What else that I've missed out on would you like to see new to Ibrox for next season?

Rangers+v+Aberdeen+016.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with everything in the OP tbh.

We all love Ibrox but I haven’t met any fellow bears who doesn’t feel like the place needs a significant revamp.

It’s been done to death on here but the quality of food needs to get better too because it’s not even close to being worth the ridiculous amount of money that it costs.

Last edited:
Is the pub in the stadium that you can go to after games still there? It should be an option for everyone pre and post-game, not just the hospitality or more expensive season ticket holders.

When is photo from?
TVs have been removed and anti bird netting fitted to stop them shitting over the seats in that area :confused:

I’ll add in scrap the portakabins that shame our ground and put a proper ticket office in the megastore .

Barcode readers at all turn styles.
Buy your ticket online and either print at home or scan direct from your phone. We need to move with the times. Remember when we used to be first with this sort of stuff.

No need to stand in the rain outside the portakabins on a weeknight and miss the first 20 minutes.

Very reasonable OP.

Ibrox will always be the most special stadium anywhere, but it is feeling very tired and in real need of some TLC right now.

I was down at the Emirates couple of weeks ago for Arsenal v Southampton. I have to say it was great to go to the loo at half time and have no queues, clean facilities, no one smoking, and hot water. When you spend time in a stadium like that we are so far behind it is unreal. Catering was much better too (although expensive obviously) and you could have a beer.

The toilets are disgusting in Ibrox. They all need replaced and the outside of the stands is badly needing power washed.

There’s also so much rust. You can see it sometimes on the TV when they show you someone standing trackside and it looks horrendous. There’s no excuse for not at least painting things like this.

Last edited:
Just knock the 3 stands down and rebuild. doddle.:rolleyes:
I am all for improving the stadium, but right now, every penny needs invested on the playing squad.

I was down at the Emirates couple of weeks ago for Arsenal v Southampton. I have to say it was great to go to the loo at half time and have no queues, clean facilities, no one smoking, and hot water. When you spend time in a stadium like that we are so far behind it is unreal. Catering was much better too (although expensive obviously) and you could have a beer.
We all want to be proud of our stadium but, as you say, it is so far behind so many stadium these days.

Our Main Stand is great, but the three other stands are past their sell by date. I know this board don't have the money, but if we did i'd tear the three stands down immediately and start again.

Buy your ticket online and either print at home or scan direct from your phone. We need to move with the times. Remember when we used to be first with this sort of stuff.

No need to stand in the rain outside the portakabins on a weeknight and miss the first 20 minutes.
The portakabin thing continues to be an embarrassment.

To be fair the Emirates is a modern ~10 year old stadium that cost about £390 million.

I'm not saying that we should accept low standards for Ibrox, just that its going to cost us a lot of money and take a lot of time to get it up to the level we all want.

Add bar 72 type additional seating to Broomie and Copland.
Re-configure Broomie and Copland lower tiers for safe standing and add extra rows at the front
Re-configure Govan lower tier and add extra rows at the front
Re-configure Bill Struth Stand lower tier and add extra rows at the front.

This will bring the stands closer to the pitch and add 3-4k to the capacity.

I’ve no idea of the cost of these things but it probably needs an absolute fortune spent on just “redecorating”.

On the concourse of CR stand on Sunday and I noticed there’s a lot of the tiles in the suspended ceiling which are broken or stained and need replaced, then once in my seat happened to look up and the underside of the roof is badly marked and looks as if it needs rubbed down and repainted. The toilets as others have said also need refurbished. I’d imagine it’s the same in all the other stands.

I’d also add my voice to those wanting the ticket office sorted. You expect lower league clubs to operate out of a portakabin. The stature of our club demands better than that.

You got he feeling any work this board undertake in the summer will just be papering over the cracks - literally - and no real difference will be made.

The stadium needs millions spent on it to bring it up to the standard we should expect. The neglect has been criminal.

Walking round the other day with my wife (who has no interest whatsoever in anything to do with football) to see my brick which they got me from my granddaughter for my 65th birthday,she said they need to tar the concourse as it's full of potholes,I had to agree with her

Tell you what I do like about recent cosmetic changes, I like the fact you can be driving over the Kingston Bridge and look over and see the "Welcome to Ibrox" mural between the Govan and Copland. Take that, timbo.

Re-configure Broomie and Copland lower tiers for safe standing and add extra rows at the front

I don't think there is an option to add further seats at the front.
The ground has already been lowered and the water table at Ibrox won't allow any further work of that type.

In fairness, the Emirates has been half empty for ages.

A real frustration for fans who cannot see the game properly sitting right up at the back of the Main Stand Rear, have a girder blocking their view of the game or cannot see the big screens at all to watch back replays.

I don't want to ruin the hope for you that one day you may get to see replays on the big screen - but they actually never show replays properly. The most you get is the first 4 seconds of the replay and it cuts out for the game starting again. Which is probably the only major advantage you'd take from having big screens.

Speaking of which - my request for improvement at Ibrox next year would be for them to get someone to edit Rangers TV on the big screens properly so we can see actual replays of major events in the game. We're not going to miss the game, it's literally in front of us if you want to have the replay on the screen.

There was a recent thread about the CEO of Falkirk giving an extensive update to their supporters about their club’s plans which included ticketing arrangements and said:-

One of the many things we have been looking at is the ticketing product at the club which has lacked investment for some time. Work has been ongoing for the past 3 months and we will be switching to Ticketmaster in May. Season tickets will be able to be renewed and purchased using the new system. This will enable season and match tickets to be bought online and tickets printed at home, onto a mobile phone or collected at the shop.

If Falkirk, a bottom half championship team can do this why can’t the country’s premier club?

I don't want to ruin the hope for you that one day you may get to see replays on the big screen - but they actually never show replays properly. The most you get is the first 4 seconds of the replay and it cuts out for the game starting again. Which is probably the only major advantage you'd take from having big screens.

Speaking of which - my request for improvement at Ibrox next year would be for them to get someone to edit Rangers TV on the big screens properly so we can see actual replays of major events in the game. We're not going to miss the game, it's literally in front of us if you want to have the replay on the screen.

We are not allowed to show certain game replays since we would breaching the rules hence why we cut to a different picture we are not the only club that has to do that

Goal replays are fine

Very very small point here but does anybody know why they’ve stopped showing sky sports news at HT in the concourse? It was ideal for checking the coupons.

I don't think there is an option to add further seats at the front.
The ground has already been lowered and the water table at Ibrox won't allow any further work of that type.

Correct we can't lower the pitch anymore

I don't think we could install a Bar 72 type thing either on the Copland or Broomloan either due the overhead clearance?

Last edited:
The roof of the govan needs badly fixed , game a few weeks ago v dundee people were getting absolutely soaked from the leaking, pretty much looked like a tap had been turned on from above.

One guy Seen the funny side and had a union Jack umbrella hat with him this week :D

I seen there was scaffolding on the roof on Sunday so maybe that's what there fixing?

Back