What’s our positives to take out tonight?

McGregor played well,
Davies was quite smart in a few moments (made sure they were offside a few times),
Sakala actually looked pretty feisty - reminded me of parkhead last season where despite his mistakes was causing them loads of problems,
Matondo actually does offer something in short bursts

King thrown in the deep end & the lad done ok. McGregor reliable as ever, but surely going forward is we need width on both wings as proven late on at anfield.
Too slow in the middle & have been all season.
We will be better next wk
Not losing 0-9 lkke Bournemouth ! B-D

biggest plus was that it was only 2, if we are honest with ourselves it could have been 8 or 9, some shit finishing and great goalkeeping meant we walked away fro Anfield with a 2 goad deficit,
we are like fish out of water trying to mix it with them boys in the CL.

The main positive from tonight will be that Gio will definitely have learned not to play players out of position, namely Tillman.

He says without a hint of sarcasm.

The only positive for me is that it’s one less game to endure.

That £180 has to be up there with the biggest rip offs we’ve had to suffer.

As Johnny Rotten once said, “ever had the feeling you’ve been cheated?”

There's probably a right good few out there had serious money on Liverpool to win -2. Fc+uk the lot of them.

However in all seriousness it needs to be repeated. Europe isn't were the manager should be judged and especially not in the group we are in.

Goldson had his best game in a long time, McGregor cemented his No. 1 position (Showed poor judgement by Gio in playing McLaughlin earlier in season).

Thought Davies was good and King would have learnt a lot, defence was cut open too often but imo, this was due to no pressure on the ball in the midfield areas.

Both full backs were obviously asked to tuck in, which gave Liverpool easy out balls, really surprised at this when you are playing three centre backs and asking F/B to tuck in (Strange tactics imo).

Midfielders were poor but we need to remember, they were outnumbered in the midfield. However, doesn't take away Lundstram touch, composure and energy was poor. Davis for me is finished at that level, especially his legs, even his football brain is not the same under pressure at this level.

Kamara should be starting at this level for this ball retention ability alone.
Keep saying it but apart from a right winger, a box-box No.8 is badly needed to inject some life into the midfield.

Tillman playing wide is absolutely criminal by Gio and even more so away from home, when your back is against the wall.
Tillman is fine playing as central 10, when you have a lot of the ball and the opposition have 10 behind the ball and he can do something different. (shocking decision from Gio).

Away from home, against a World class team, we should have been playing counter attacking football with pace out wide.

There is no doubt that a fully fit, confident Morelos is the best option up front but as per Napoli we are playing a guy that has barely played much football for what 4 months +, then when he does get some minutes, he lets us down (not for first time), can't keep himself in shape but you drop a Striker that is bang in form and full of confidence.

I could maybe get on board if we had built up Alfie playing time, but we haven't been doing this.

Make no sense to me.

Imo, I think that Gio is struggling and that his thinking is all over the place at present.

That is was only 2 and Napoli won 6-1. Gives a small glimmer of Europa League Football.

We cannot play with 5 at the back at Ibrox. That was a ridiculous decision.

Mutondo , Sakala , Davies. All looks good. These challenges sharpen us up for a run of league games were we can look to take maximum points before the world cup.

Even for the roasters there are positives , it's less than 24 hours before they can stop crying behind the sofa , tune in and have a good ol' w**nk over Angeball

Was only 2-0, but again the frustration of watching this team being so timid.
i wish the players would just believe in themselves and bloody go forward.

Macgregor saved us from another pumping in the CL.

Matondo and Sakala when they came on second half injected a much needed bit of pace into our game.

We’ve only got three more CL games to endure!

Ajax continue to lose as well. Main aim of take the money and get back to the Europa League is still on.

We’re totally out our depth. It’s not enjoyable to watch I’m afraid.
We haven't been since August you could argue longer than that , were broken and there's only one way to fix it, anyone who still believes in gvb need to take a long hard look at themselves.

The main positive from tonight will be that Gio will definitely have learned not to play players out of position, namely Tillman.

He says without a hint of sarcasm.
Na I think he will need to play him there a few more times just to make sure.

The score line was better than I thought it would be

Kent running down his contract might be good thing similar with Alfie

Davies looked decent in spells

King did well for a kid playing in a champ league

Tillman is a loan to buy and not a perm player, total passenger

Front three of Rabbi, Colak and Sakala looked decent

McGregor still has a bag full of wonder saves in his locker

Positives
  • We kept it to 2-0, after 10 minutes I just wanted it under 5. Liverpool played with 4 up front, scary!
  • McGregor was outstanding.
  • Goldson was good but I also think Davies and King alongside him did pretty well too.
  • Subs did well, Matondo better on the left, Sakala put effort and application in, Jack closed down well.
  • Support was behind the team all night and very much heard.
Negatives
  • Starting midfield was awful. Tillman lazy and uninterested. Lundstram a rabbit in the headlights, had a poor night. Davis just couldn’t keep up with the pace. I’d have changed the entire midfield at half time to Kamara, Jack and either Arfield or Wright.
  • Application and effort. When we had possession, Liverpool chased us aggressively with pace to get the ball back. When Liverpool had possession, we jogged back and let them play.
  • Composure. When we had the ball we got startled and gave them it right back. No doubt a result of Liverpools commitment to win it back but even when we had time we just gave it up far too easily through slack passing.
I’m not daft. Liverpool are miles ahead of us in terms of money, talent etc. 2-0 is not a surprising result. If anything the surprise is it was only 2. The disappointing thing is we didn’t really do ourselves justice tonight in terms of effort and ability, we can be much better. Hopefully we at least give it a little more at Ibrox.

End of the day, we are a Europa League team and can enjoy being competitive at that level. We’re out of our depth in the Champions League currently.

Positives
  • We kept it to 2-0, after 10 minutes I just wanted it under 5. Liverpool played with 4 up front, scary!
  • McGregor was outstanding.
  • Goldson was good but I also think Davies and King alongside him did pretty well too.
  • Subs did well, Matondo better on the left, Sakala put effort and application in, Jack closed down well.
  • Support was behind the team all night and very much heard.
Negatives
  • Starting midfield was awful. Tillman lazy and uninterested. Lundstram a rabbit in the headlights, had a poor night. Davis just couldn’t keep up with the pace. I’d have changed the entire midfield at half time to Kamara, Jack and either Arfield or Wright.
  • Application and effort. When we had possession, Liverpool chased us aggressively with pace to get the ball back. When Liverpool had possession, we jogged back and let them play.
  • Composure. When we had the ball we got startled and gave them it right back. No doubt a result of Liverpools commitment to win it back but even when we had time we just gave it up far too easily through slack passing.
I’m not daft. Liverpool are miles ahead of us in terms of money, talent etc. 2-0 is not a surprising result. If anything the surprise is it was only 2. The disappointing thing is we didn’t really do ourselves justice tonight in terms of effort and ability, we can be much better. Hopefully we at least give it a little more at Ibrox.

End of the day, we are a Europa League team and can enjoy being competitive at that level. We’re out of our depth in the Champions League currently.

Excellent assessment

McGregor was outstanding, Goldson was solid enough, Davies looked comfortable, King’s performance (unlucky at the pen) should put an end to the Sands at centre half experiment, Subs all impacted the game.

Negatives…..Tav and Lundstram need to have a look at themselves. No real objection to Tillman starting, you can’t learn to play in big games by sitting on the bench, but his game should have been over at h/t. Davis is probably done at that level. Gio needs to realise that we really look a better team when we’re on the front foot!

Goldson Davies and King pretty solid. Matondo on the Left looked a bit better.
Nothing to do with him being on the left, it’s more to do with having space in behind. He doesn’t get that space to knock it beyond in the SPFL. That being said, he was ok at the weekend and deserves a chance.

Although the same can be said about Sakala and his numbers are good.

King, Goldson & Davies looked solid as a back 3.
Matondo on the left offered more in 15 mins than Kent did in 75 & he looked far better on the left than he does on the right.
Sakala seemed to bring some energy to things.

Shagger keeping it respectable.

That’s about it.

Nothing to do with him being on the left, it’s more to do with having space in behind. He doesn’t get that space to knock it beyond in the SPFL. That being said, he was ok at the weekend and deserves a chance.

Although the same can be said about Sakala and his numbers are good.
Matondo on the left is better player than on the right

The positive is that it was a nothing game that won’t be remembered in years to come.

Goldson had his best game in a long time, McGregor cemented his No. 1 position (Showed poor judgement by Gio in playing McLaughlin earlier in season).

Thought Davies was good and King would have learnt a lot, defence was cut open too often but imo, this was due to no pressure on the ball in the midfield areas.

Both full backs were obviously asked to tuck in, which gave Liverpool easy out balls, really surprised at this when you are playing three centre backs and asking F/B to tuck in (Strange tactics imo).

Midfielders were poor but we need to remember, they were outnumbered in the midfield. However, doesn't take away Lundstram touch, composure and energy was poor. Davis for me is finished at that level, especially his legs, even his football brain is not the same under pressure at this level.

Keep saying it but apart from a right winger, a box-box No.8 is badly needed to inject some life into the midfield.

Tillman playing wide is absolutely criminal by Gio and even more so away from home, when your back is against the wall.
Tillman is fine playing as central 10, when you have a lot of the ball and the opposition have 10 behind the ball and he can do something different. (shocking decision from Gio).

Away from home, against a World class team, we should have been playing counter attacking football with pace out wide.

There is no doubt that a fully fit, confident Morelos is the best option up front but as per Napoli we are playing a guy that has barely played much football for what 4 months +, then when he does get some minutes, he lets us down (not for first time), can't keep himself in shape but you drop a Striker that is bang in form and full of confidence.

I could maybe get on board if we had built up Alfie playing time, but we haven't been doing this.

Make no sense to me.

Imo, I think that Gio is struggling and that his thinking is all over the place at present.
good analysis

we have finally learner that barasic cannot jump, in height or in timing.

_126974244_gettyimages-1430438031.jpg

Make no sense to me.

Great Summary and backs up with what most think. Gio is clueless.

Said it last year and got a ban. And will say it again now. We are going backward under him. We are all over the place and despite being a couple of points behind that lot and better performance at the weekend, it will end in tears. Mark my words.

Back